April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Wonder to Hawaii- who is with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the summary.

I have had "no thank you servings" of poi - it is like paste to me, too.

The other staple in the Hawaiian diet is a "one scoop, two scoop" plate or plate lunch. As valbob89 said, "Traditional Hawaii food is a combination of the foods brought over by the Philippino, Chinese, Portuguese and others who moved to the islands. Of course don't forget the Spam."

The one scoop is macaroni salad (cold elbow macaroni with mayo and other ingredients); the 2 scoop is 2 scoops of white rice. Then you pick your entree(s): teri (teriyaki) beef, beef stew, mahi mahi, chicken katsu, kalbi ribs, loco moco (hamburger steak covered with brown gravy and a fried egg). Several of the luau entrees (pork, lomi lomi... are also available) These are available at lunch wagons (trucks that have kitchens and park on the side of the road or in parking lots; food is to go - think ice cream truck) and at "drive-in" restaurants (the old term for Bob's Big Boy) and even finer establishments.

Favorite use of poi:

1 cup prepared poi

1 cup vanilla ice cream

1/3 cup sugar

2 cups milk

1/4 cup sherry wine

Dash of nutmeg
Directions
Whip poi, ice cream, and sugar until smooth.
Add milk gradually, beating continually.
Blend in the wine and serve with nutmeg sprinkled over the surface.

We're leaving tomorrow and heading up to Seattle and then to Alaska! :banana: But before I go, I'm going to leave you with some pictures.

Uncovering the pig:

DSC02392.jpg

Pulling the pig out - BTW this was SO yummy!

DSC02395.jpg

Crazy boy walking on the hot coals :eek:

DSC02396.jpg

Little ones following the dancers:

DSC02452.jpg

You should have seen the little girls faces when they saw this guystanding behind them just before he walked up to the stage:

DSC02454.jpg

DD posing with some of the dancers:

DSC02494.jpg

:surfweb:

Aunt Lynne- I think Disney should hire you to do some presentations about Hawaii on board the ship. Really wish we had more time in the ports.

Out of curiosity how much were they charging for the totem pole figurine on the cruise. I love mine and have it with all my other Disney cruise products- even though I did not do Alaska with Diseny- they were not doing it then

Odd questions but I know you guys will know the answers...

Are you allowed to bring your own washing detergent on board, and how are the w/d's aboard the ship? I know at some of the resorts it takes 3 times longer to dry laundry than it does here at home. :goodvibes

Are you allowed to bring your own washing detergent on board, and how are the w/d's aboard the ship? I know at some of the resorts it takes 3 times longer to dry laundry than it does here at home. :goodvibes

Yes you can bring your own supplies. Jason and I always bring the 3-in-1 Purell laundry sheets (they are detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheet all in one). The dryers onboard are not terrible if you don't overload them...but they are definitely not like home.....and....I should mention that there is often a line----a long one----to get access to the laundry facilities...especially on sea days. Port days are less busy if you are willing to stay on the ship...and it used to be that if you were willing to be a midnight or 2am launderer you could get a machine...but even the night-owl laundry trend has caught on and sometimes there are people using the machines that late, too

We took a HAL cruise to Alaska last year and they have a great laundry deal. They leave a laundry bag in your room and you can stuff it as full as possible and it's only 20.00. I sure wish DCL would catch on to that.

Yes you can bring your own supplies. Jason and I always bring the 3-in-1 Purell laundry sheets (they are detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheet all in one). The dryers onboard are not terrible if you don't overload them...but they are definitely not like home.....and....I should mention that there is often a line----a long one----to get access to the laundry facilities...especially on sea days. Port days are less busy if you are willing to stay on the ship...and it used to be that if you were willing to be a midnight or 2am launderer you could get a machine...but even the night-owl laundry trend has caught on and sometimes there are people using the machines that late, too

I did not find it too difficult to get washer time on the TA. Sometimes I would have to wait 20 min or so for a washer to finish, but did not find the lines that some had talked about. We too use the Purell 3 -in - 1 sheets.

We're leaving tomorrow and heading up to Seattle and then to Alaska! :banana: But before I go, I'm going to leave you with some pictures. ...

I see you, too, experienced the "best luau" in Hawaii at Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. (The guys' sarongs give it away, don't they?) More photos to bring back memories for those who have been fortunate already and for those who are plotting ways to stay overnight in Maui.

851a8a78.jpg

31768b7f.jpg

4ead33fc.jpg

73e1bfe7.jpg

ea4620f5.jpg

Hey - are you cruising DCL on the 31st with me? - never mind; I see you are going with HAL. Bon Voyage!

I got a copy of Oriental Trader today and there are some Hibiscus Flower hair clip ons. They are on sale for $2.99 a Dozen. I remember someone saying that for the Champagne Girls it might be flowers and boas. I think Mandy and Deb are in charge of the CG. This might be something for them to look into. The catalogue #BU-34/1526.

Has anyone else noticed the appropriateness of Jordak's design for a DIS cruise - specifically the rays of color in the background. Whenever I log onto the boards, I see 2-tone blue rays - and think of our newest graphic. :goodvibes

Hopefully with 10 sea days it wont be so bad. We're actually driving from SC to CA and spending some time at DL so I know I will need to wash clothes at some point. (Or bring a massive amount of luggage :lmao: )

We took a HAL cruise to Alaska last year and they have a great laundry deal. They leave a laundry bag in your room and you can stuff it as full as possible and it's only 20.00. I sure wish DCL would catch on to that.

That would be something nice to offer on longer cruises. (And at the Disney resorts!)

I did not find it too difficult to get washer time on the TA. Sometimes I would have to wait 20 min or so for a washer to finish, but did not find the lines that some had talked about. We too use the Purell 3 -in - 1 sheets.

I need to try out these sheets and see how they work for us. I normally use Tide free. The kids and myself are allergic to some detergents.

Thanks everyone for the info. :thumbsup2

If you're in a suite, laundry service is free for the entire cruise! This is by far my favorite suite perk of any cruiseline!

I see you, too, experienced the "best luau" in Hawaii at Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. (The guys' sarongs give it away, don't they?) More photos to bring back memories for those who have been fortunate already and for those who are plotting ways to stay overnight in Maui.
Yes, we loved the Old Lahaina Luau, it was the most beautiful sunset, and a wonderful experience, it had a much more authentic feel then the other one we did. Also all the exhibits and things going on before the show was interesting and wonderful.

Hey - are you cruising DCL on the 31st with me? - never mind; I see you are going with HAL. Bon Voyage!
Okay, I'm a geek, but I think it is so cool we will both be in Alaska at the same time even if we are on different cruiselines! ;)

:sad2: aaahhh, I just looked and there is no overlap, there goes my hope of seeing the Wonder.

:surfweb:

I travel a bit for work and if I stay somewhere that has a washer/dryer, I take the single serve detergent they leave - we take that with us onboard.

Our just measure out a single size baggy of detergent to take with us. I always expect to be stopped as a suspect drug smuggler but have got away with it so far :rotfl2:

I've never seen the all-in-one washer/softener sheets here that others have mentioned but they sound like a good option.

When it comes to laundry. That is a chore. I don't do chores, well becides pay bills, when I am on vacation period. It is not a vacation for me if I am doing chores.

When it comes to laundry. That is a chore. I don't do chores, well becides pay bills, when I am on vacation period. It is not a vacation for me if I am doing chores.

My husband doesn't do chores either so I do the laundry!!!;):lmao:

Well on vacation neither one of us do chores.

I was kind of joking Alan, but in reality we are on a tight budget always on these vacations. We have to cut back and cut things out. Same with many other expensive things back at home. I would rather go on the vacations and do the chores than not go. I'm not going to go into the whole we don't drink, smoke, go out for meals, to the cinema/theatre etc etc though!!!;):rotfl2:)

I have to admit it is a bit one sided though as I do the packing and unpacking too. John drives and does the lifting of the heavy bags. He moans a bundle about that(lifting). I don't moan about all MY chores though!!!;)

I am sure DCL will be doing something similar. Well I hope so anyway. They usually theme things for where we are.

What is traditional Hawaiian food as I would think we will be being served something that resembles it?

SPAM!

Others have already answered this, but I had to add my 2 cents! I also use the Purex sheets - very easy to pack, but might not work for you if you have allergy issues. Before they existed, I would pack up detergent in 1 load measured bags. I have had no problems getting a washer when I get up early (before 6am), sometimes have had to wait for dryer. Washers take 20 min. (I think), dryers go for 40 min (I think) a swipe of your room card, and if you always use the lowest setting on commercial dryers like I do, it may take more than 40 min to dry clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter