April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Wonder to Hawaii- who is with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you say OBSESSED with dolphins? :rotfl: Clearly you chose your DIS name well!

Me, obsessed, never ;)

This all started on our honeymoon. We had a slightly unconventional honeymoon. The first week there was the two of us, my sister in law with her husband and her two kids, my brother in law and my mother in law. Everybody was able to touch a dolphin at Seaworld apart from my niece and me. We were probably the two people who wanted to touch a dolphin the most. Still, I have more than made up for this now.

Corinna

Hope everyone had a great weekend! :goodvibes

Haven't even had time to lurk, let alone try and read 120+ pages of posts. Will *try* to catch up soon though.

We just sent our info in for the Lanyards. Thanks Erik and Jason!! :thumbsup2

We're leaving for our Med cruise in about 4 weeks. Docs arrived on Friday for that one. :banana:

+
We also enjoyed giving the Disney Cruise Line Party. I got my husband to dress up as Mickey. He was the tallest Mickey anyone had ever seen. Most of our friends had on some type of Disney clothing. We played some games and ate some delicious food. It was a lot of fun. I don't know if they do the Diseny parties anymore. I have the figurine in my family room. I hope to get a Hawaiian Mickey.

When we did Hawaii on RCI the Volcano was inactive. We tried for a long time to get close but nothing was flowing the next am at the park there was a sign stating that. RCI also had native Hawaiin dancers on and did a small Luau on Deck. Lots of fun!

Thanks for all the "Welcome Aboards"! I'm very much looking forward to meeting you all...the DCL experts! :worship: I just sent in my lanyard info (BIG Thank Yous go out to Erik and Jason) and signed up for the champagne girls (now THIS sounds like it's right up my alley! :woohoo:). What do I need to do for that? I saw someone mention tiaras and boas? Not my best look, but I'm good with that!:thumbsup2

Thanks for all the "Welcome Aboards"! I'm very much looking forward to meeting you all...the DCL experts! :worship: I just sent in my lanyard info (BIG Thank Yous go out to Erik and Jason) and signed up for the champagne girls (now THIS sounds like it's right up my alley! :woohoo:). What do I need to do for that? I saw someone mention tiaras and boas? Not my best look, but I'm good with that!:thumbsup2

Deb and Mandy will organize this a bit later on. Rumor has it they love the lei and flower behind the ear idea as the perfect "Hawaiianizing" of the traditional Champagne Girl garb! :thumbsup2

Deb and Mandy will organize this a bit later on. Rumor has it they love the lei and flower behind the ear idea as the perfect "Hawaiianizing" of the traditional Champagne Girl garb! :thumbsup2

Nice! Looking forward to hearing more of the details! :dance3:

Mary

:stitch:

Lanikai Beach
Port of Call: Honolulu Sunday, May 6

Kailua Road, Kailua - East O'ahu

The water is exceptionally clear and blue and two beautiful, offshore island known as the Mokuluas, add to the tropical atmosphere of the area. Access is only available by a public access walkways. Please respect local resident's properity.

Services and Amenities
  • No Lifeguard
  • No facilities
  • No fresh water
  • Sandy Beach
  • Large rocks
  • Shady areas
  • Good swimming and snorkeling

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/beaches/lanikai_beaches.htm

A visit to this beach pretty much requires a rental car. You park on the street in a residential area. I have been here several times and always feel I'm on a private beach. All beaches in Hawaii are public. This beach is often considered one of the best beaches in Hawaii.

If I need services (ie, bathrooms), I just go down the road to the Kailua State Beach (free parking there, too).

Kailua State Beach Park has water sport rentals (kayaks...). It is a very popular place for wind surfing. I think you can also take a kayak from Lanikai to the twin islands.

http://www.kailuasailboards.com/kayaking.html

http://www.bestplaceshawaii.com/tips/10_best/beaches.html

Actually, if you are a "beach person," you should be able to visit a great beach on each of our four island stops.

http://www.portaloha.com/SecretsOfHawaii/KailuaBeach.htm

Mokulua Islands in the distance
eab327e5.jpg

Kaneohe in the distance; home to a Marine Corps Base
3b72247b.jpg

We had a night flight out, so we spent the afternoon relaxing at the beach on a Monday in March; it really was this uncrowded
5cdcf95c.jpg

Alrighty, folks!! The lanyard team is now officially full----I had hoped to get 25 members and we reached 25 members in less than 3 days (or maybe even 2?!?)....you guys are definitely motivated!!

A huge thanks to Eric and the lanyard team!

I'm trying to find the link to the spreadsheet and can't. I have several DISfriends that are going with us that need to sign up. Can someone help me? Thanks.

There is also a link on the Facebook group for this cruise.

Thy do read the dis even if they don't say so. You'd be surprise at what the CM's know. The captain on the 1st Alaska cruise even referred to the disboards in 1 of the announcements.

I think it was our EBPC at the sail away party when some one said "who are first time cruisers", "who have cruised before", "who are Disboard members" - we had quite a group (and dare I say a reputation?) then too :rotfl2:

We leave on Saturday for a week of vacation which includes 5 nights on the Dream and a few days at WDW. I really need this break. The stress at work has been unbelievable. Once this is over our next cruise I to Hawaii! My inlaws now want to join us, so I an going to try to book them while on board.

Have a wonderful time Scott - see you in July :)

When we did Hawaii on RCI the Volcano was inactive. We tried for a long time to get close but nothing was flowing the next am at the park there was a sign stating that. RCI also had native Hawaiin dancers on and did a small Luau on Deck. Lots of fun!

I am sure DCL will be doing something similar. Well I hope so anyway. They usually theme things for where we are.

What is traditional Hawaiian food as I would think we will be being served something that resembles it?

Hope everyone had a great weekend! :goodvibes

Haven't even had time to lurk, let alone try and read 120+ pages of posts. Will *try* to catch up soon though.

We just sent our info in for the Lanyards. Thanks Erik and Jason!! :thumbsup2

We're leaving for our Med cruise in about 4 weeks. Docs arrived on Friday for that one. :banana:

I hope that you will have a wonderful time on your Med cruise. We did the first Med cruise last year and had a fantastic time.

Corinna

I am sure DCL will be doing something similar. Well I hope so anyway. They usually theme things for where we are.

What is traditional Hawaiian food as I would think we will be being served something that resembles it?

Year ago we were at a luau that had the traditional kalua pig cooked in a sand pit imu.
hawaii-luau-kalua-pig-imu.jpg
The large pit was lined with rocks and koa wood burnt. The pit was then lined with banana and ti leaves. The large pig was set on more leaves and herb, hot rocks placed inside it and chicken wire wrapped around the whole thing. It was put into the pit, covered with more leaves, wet burlap and then sand. It was left in the pit for 7 hours or more. Before removing, chants and prayers were made by the men who removed the pig.
This was a small private luau so we had mostly traditional family food like:
Cucumber and Papaya
Seaweed salad
Lomi Lomi Salmon
Poke
Fresh Pineapple
Pork
Mahimahi Fish
Chicken & Teriyaki Beef
Fried Rice
Poi
175247_poi.jpg

Sweet Potato
Macaroni Salad
Coconut Cake
Haupia Pudding

We have been to laua's at big hotels, like the Sheraton, and they serve the above plus all kinds of other buffet foods.

Traditional Hawaii food is a combination of the foods brought over by the Philippino, Chinese, Portuguese and others who moved to the islands. Of course don't forget the Spam.

Haupia Pudding is interesting, but good, after the salty foods

Haupia
1 can (12 oz.) coconut milk
4 to 6 tablespoons sugar
4 to 6 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Pour coconut milk into a saucepan. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir inwater and blend well. Stir sugar mixture into coconut milk; cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Pour into 8-inch square pun and chill until firm. Cut into 2-inch squares. Makes 16 servings.

I also love the Poke and LomiLomi. Most tourists won't even try them - more for me
Poke
2 pound ahi fillet (or other firm white fish)
1 Maui onion, chopped
4 stalks thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 Hawaiian chili peppers, seeded and minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Hawaiian salt to taste
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Cut fish into cubes. In a large bowl combine fish, onion, green onions, ginger, chili peppers, soy sauce, sesame oil and salt; mix lightly. Chill for several hours. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Makes 8 servings.

WikiWiki Lomilomi Salmon
1 can (14.75 oz.) red salmon
3 tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoon water
1 cup crushed ice
Shred salmon. Mix together salmon, tomatoes, green onions, onion and water; stir gently. Chill several hours or overnight. Add ice just before serving. Makes 8 servings.
Note: In Hawaii salted salmon is usually used in this dish. If you substitute salted salmon be sure to soak for several hours, changing the water several times, before shredding.

I have to admit I can't eat poi like a hawaiian, like it was oatmeal. I do like a small amount with my kalua pork. It is kind of sour. I hosted a laua one year for 200 and served poi. One poor soul thought it was pudding and took a huge spoon full before I could stop him.

You can find great Hawaiian cook books when we are in the islands.

Thank you. It all looks very interesting and as usual some sound more tasty than others.

The poi looks extremely unappetising!!!!:sick:

:rotfl2: Poke was sounding pretty good until I got to the "chill" part... :scared1:

for someone who asked earlier on... yes, those Totem poles were for sale on the Alaska cruise.. I saw one but was never able to get one as they sold out the first night. Didn't have luggage space or weight for it anyway....

:rotfl2: Poke was sounding pretty good until I got to the "chill" part... :scared1:

for someone who asked earlier on... yes, those Totem poles were for sale on the Alaska cruise.. I saw one but was never able to get one as they sold out the first night. Didn't have luggage space or weight for it anyway....

A milder version:

BASIC AHI POKE

Ingredients:
2 pounds fresh tuna (Ahi) steaks, cubed
1 cup of soy sauce
3/4 cup of chopped green onions
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons of finely chopped macadamia nuts

Instructions:
I a medium size ceramic bowl, combine Ahi, onions, sesame oil, sesame seeds, chili pepper, and macadamia nuts, and mis well. Chill at least 2 hours before servi

Year ago we were at a luau that had the traditional kalua pig cooked in a sand pit imu. ...

Thanks for the summary.

Thank you. It all looks very interesting and as usual some sound more tasty than others.

The poi looks extremely unappetising!!!!:sick:

I have had "no thank you servings" of poi - it is like paste to me, too.

The other staple in the Hawaiian diet is a "one scoop, two scoop" plate or plate lunch. As valbob89 said, "Traditional Hawaii food is a combination of the foods brought over by the Philippino, Chinese, Portuguese and others who moved to the islands. Of course don't forget the Spam."

The one scoop is macaroni salad (cold elbow macaroni with mayo and other ingredients); the 2 scoop is 2 scoops of white rice. Then you pick your entree(s): teri (teriyaki) beef, beef stew, mahi mahi, chicken katsu, kalbi ribs, loco moco (hamburger steak covered with brown gravy and a fried egg). Several of the luau entrees (pork, lomi lomi... are also available) These are available at lunch wagons (trucks that have kitchens and park on the side of the road or in parking lots; food is to go - think ice cream truck) and at "drive-in" restaurants (the old term for Bob's Big Boy) and even finer establishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter