April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Wonder to Hawaii- who is with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
poi is like paste. Not my favorite. :sad2:

Still lurcking......Hawaii is one of my favourite vacations....luckily enough to have been to 6 of the islands.

Good poi is GOOD.
Bad poi is BAD.

We found Good poi when you are off the beaten track away from the tourist destinations.....:flower3:

Aunt Lynne- I think Disney should hire you to do some presentations about Hawaii on board the ship. Really wish we had more time in the ports.

Out of curiosity how much were they charging for the totem pole figurine on the cruise. I love mine and have it with all my other Disney cruise products- even though I did not do Alaska with Diseny- they were not doing it then

I believe the Totem was $24.95. It seems like most of the things were $24.95... :rotfl:Maybe they didn't want to make different price point tags... :lmao:

The pin distribution went well and I believe the only reason a line was created was that there were 2000 of 3 of the pins and only 1000 of the others....and some people felt they might miss out on some... WHY? They have all season to sell them if there are leftovers so why do they create drama when it's so unnecessary? :confused3 Make enough pins for everyone and limit the number you can buy to 2 per person for the first couple days so everyone has a chance to get them! Same with any special merchandise... or do a pre-order for ALL of it at the same time you book your excursions, that way you KNOW what the demand is ahead of time and produce the stuff accordingly! Have it in our rooms when we board, charge the stateroom accounts and if returns or exchanges are necessary... then deal with that on an as needed basis!
Ok... stepping down off my soapbox.... sorry... sometimes it just feels good to get it out again... even if no one at Disney listens! :sad2:

I believe the Totem was $24.95. It seems like most of the things were $24.95... :rotfl:Maybe they didn't want to make different price point tags... :lmao:

The pin distribution went well and I believe the only reason a line was created was that there were 2000 of 3 of the pins and only 1000 of the others....and some people felt they might miss out on some... WHY? They have all season to sell them if there are leftovers so why do they create drama when it's so unnecessary? :confused3 Make enough pins for everyone and limit the number you can buy to 2 per person for the first couple days so everyone has a chance to get them! Same with any special merchandise... or do a pre-order for ALL of it at the same time you book your excursions, that way you KNOW what the demand is ahead of time and produce the stuff accordingly! Have it in our rooms when we board, charge the stateroom accounts and if returns or exchanges are necessary... then deal with that on an as needed basis!
Ok... stepping down off my soapbox.... sorry... sometimes it just feels good to get it out again... even if no one at Disney listens! :sad2:

I hope you send your ideas to DCL.

What is traditional Hawaiian food as I would think we will be being served something that resembles it?

Thank you. It all looks very interesting and as usual some sound more tasty than others.

The poi looks extremely unappetising!!!!:sick:

We've been going to Hawaii for over twenty years and I still can't eat the local food. Blech! I hope Disney does actually only give us food that resembles Hawaiian. ;)

I don't mind doing laundry. We tend to stay up late we work 3-11. On the canal cruise we had no problem doing it. We pack the Purex sheets every vacation. Plus we have the fold down hamper too. We just stick that in the closet.

:laughing: I could have written this post ... you don't happen to own a janitorial business too do you?

I didn't think so as when we had the Walt a few years ago if was definitely not a perk!1
Part of my email to DCL, talked about how their suite perks aren't on par with other cruiselines, especially for the price. For example, I was pricing a Hawaiian cruise before I heard about DCL going and HAL had a 15 night, I was considering. It turned out their SA suite with my two favorite suite perks Neptune Lounge and free laundry was about $2000 more than our 4A we booked on DCL. When a 1 Bdrm came available on DCL I considered and priced it and decided against it. It was $6000 more than our 4A, with very little perks for the cost. You don't even get extra CC credits for the additional cost like other lines give for their programs. So I figure, that I'll stay where I am and that savings pays for a whole lot of laundry :lmao: or extras, or even another cruise in a suite on another line.

Pins - on the first Alaska cruise we actually got all the pins, a first for us, I was walking by the table where they were distributing the wrist bands and there was no line, so what the heck.

Hawaiian Food one simple word - SPAM it's ono brah.

For those that did the Alaska cruise how was the pin issue? Any problem getting them?

As Scott said, we walked by the wristband distribution area, and no one was in line, so we jumped in and got a wristband.

That sounds a lot better. Still, I heard there were some other merchandize issues with those on early dinner missing out on the special merchandize?

Corinna

Alaska merchandise disappeared from stores first night during first dining, there was not anything that I saw that was inaugural - and most everything showed up in stores the last couple of evenings. Leslie was correct about the Totem - we picked one up the second to last night of cruise.

Well we just officially passed the 100 lanyards requested mark! (Although one person emailed to register for lanyards for "our upcoming Alaskan Cruise"----which I'm GUESSING was a typo and they just had Alaska on the brain! :lmao:)

So keep the lanyard requests coming (send your Disname(s), First Name(s) and Stateroom #'s to dcl.hawaii.lanyards@gmail.com)

....and if you've already signed up for lanyards you can always check the spreadsheet by clicking HERE and doublecheck that your info is all listed correctly (spelled right, capitalized right, correct stateroom #, etc.)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Alaska merchandise disappeared from stores first night during first dining, there was not anything that I saw that was inaugural - and most everything showed up in stores the last couple of evenings. Leslie was correct about the Totem - we picked one up the second to last night of cruise.

Agreed on the merchandise....it did get snatched up very quickly and it was all general for Alaska itineraries, not specific to inaugural. I did see small quantities come out here and there but as soon as it was out it was gone again...and then later in the cruise their stock seemed to get replenished (I'm suspecting because the ship picked up merchandise that got shipped to one of the ports or something??). We only ended up buying the set of pins and the wooden postcard they were selling with the painted image of the ship and the listing of itineraries (which I promptly turned into a magnet for our wall------there's a picture of it in a recent entry on our blog:thumbsup2)

Agreed on the merchandise....it did get snatched up very quickly and it was all general for Alaska itineraries, not specific to inaugural. I did see small quantities come out here and there but as soon as it was out it was gone again...and then later in the cruise their stock seemed to get replenished (I'm suspecting because the ship picked up merchandise that got shipped to one of the ports or something??). We only ended up buying the set of pins and the wooden postcard they were selling with the painted image of the ship and the listing of itineraries (which I promptly turned into a magnet for our wall------there's a picture of it in a recent entry on our blog:thumbsup2)

I heard from a CM friend that DCL is trying to get away from cruise specific merchandise (like inagural stuff-1st Alaska cruise) and going more with general that work for more than 1 cruise (like Alaska 2011). I got to the shops the 1st night & found kids shirts, plush & a totem bottle opener left. There was a CM taking down a wishlist, so I told her what I wanted. I got a phone call a few days later....they had all the things I requested in a bag w/ my stateroom number on it. I ended up putting several things on the wishlist that I didn't think I'd buy, but wanted to see and then decide. They should keep 1 of everything in a case, so that when they do end up taking a wish/waitlist, we can say "I want this, this, this" instead of "give me 1 of everything & then I'll decide" :lmao:

Hey all,

Someone emailed me and so I wanted to post a note of clarification about the lanyards and the spreadsheet(s) for this cruise. So please note....

The spreadsheet and sign up for the (free) custom lanyards is ENTIRELY SEPARATE from the uber-spreadsheet that Brooklyn and KrisannB set up (where there are lists for everything from roll call to candy swap to champagne girls----but you'll notice that lanyards are not included on any of the tabs or columns there)!!!

Please do not assume that if you have entered your info on that spreadsheet that it means you will get a lanyard---because some of the people on that sheet may not actually WANT lanyards, and so we've done the sign up for lanyards as something totally separate.

If you want lanyards, you need to send the information (DIS names, first names and stateroom) directly to dcl.hawaii.lanyards@gmail.com and if you want to make sure that you are actually ON the lanyard list, you can check that link again by clicking HERE.

Hey all,

Someone emailed me and so I wanted to post a note of clarification about the lanyards and the spreadsheet(s) for this cruise. So please note....

The spreadsheet and sign up for the (free) custom lanyards is ENTIRELY SEPARATE from the uber-spreadsheet that Brooklyn and KrisannB set up (where there are lists for everything from roll call to candy swap to champagne girls----but you'll notice that lanyards are not included on any of the tabs or columns there)!!!

Please do not assume that if you have entered your info on that spreadsheet that it means you will get a lanyard---because some of the people on that sheet may not actually WANT lanyards, and so we've done the sign up for lanyards as something totally separate.

If you want lanyards, you need to send the information (DIS names, first names and stateroom) directly to dcl.hawaii.lanyards@gmail.com and if you want to make sure that you are actually ON the lanyard list, you can check that link again by clicking HERE.

I don't know how in 134 pages (LOL) I missed the mention uber spreadsheet for "everything" else. Can you tell me where is it posted? Is there another Dis discussion besides this one for Hawaii?

I don't know how in 134 pages (LOL) I missed the mention uber spreadsheet for "everything" else. Can you tell me where is it posted? Is there another Dis discussion besides this one for Hawaii?

There's a link in post #1 on the first page that you can click and open....and that spreadsheet is one you can edit and add to yourself.

I heard from a CM friend that DCL is trying to get away from cruise specific merchandise (like inagural stuff-1st Alaska cruise) and going more with general that work for more than 1 cruise (like Alaska 2011). I got to the shops the 1st night & found kids shirts, plush & a totem bottle opener left. There was a CM taking down a wishlist, so I told her what I wanted. I got a phone call a few days later....they had all the things I requested in a bag w/ my stateroom number on it. I ended up putting several things on the wishlist that I didn't think I'd buy, but wanted to see and then decide. They should keep 1 of everything in a case, so that when they do end up taking a wish/waitlist, we can say "I want this, this, this" instead of "give me 1 of everything & then I'll decide" :lmao:

I agree that they should keep back at least 1 of everything, I was mentioning on the cruise that they could display the "special" merchandise in on of the display cases in the front - I did not know until later in the cruise (when stock reappeared in the store) that I did not want any of the the T-shirts (have too many already, and would have only been tempted if there was an "inaugural" one), but also did not know about the totem and blanket until the end of the cruise.

I work as a nurse in a rehab hospital so I am up late most nights. We take the hamper to our DVC resort.

We also have a collapsable hamper that goes with us to DVC resorts! I have not thought about taking it on cruises, usually I just throw in a mesh laundry bag.

To the American contingent - Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Sorry if this is a bit OT; but This is our 10th DCL cruise; and I feel like a Newbie with this flight stuff. :confused3Living in South FL we’ve never had to worry about flying to the Port. For this cruise, of course, we will be flying to LAX; and I have thought of a few questions for anyone with flight experience.
We will be flying out of MCO the day before sailing (4/28) we booked this through DCL. We hope to stay over Friday night at WDW; leave the car at whatever resort we get; and use Disney transportation to the airport. We would need Disney transport from the airport to WDW the day we get back too. Does anyone know if this is workable?
Also if air prices go up (or hopefully down-LOL); will DCL notify us and adjust our account accordingly? Will we get the flight info with our ticket package?
Thanks so much for any help in advance.
fran

We will also be flying from MCO and probably going a day or two before. So far I have not booked our flight. Usually Disney will use Delta and they charge for each bag - I think it is $25 for the first and $35 for the second. When we did the TA and MEd we booked through Disney and it was an Ok price but for within the US we are hoping to book through Southwest where two bags are free. We did book transfers from Disney from the hotel to the port and then back to the hotel.

I think once you book the airfare the price is set.

To all the new people out there, don't stress. I have been on 9 DCL cruises and not once have I done any type of FE or anything. All by choice, partially because I can't wrap my mind around it. There has always been enough going on on the ship were I have to yet participate in a Dis activity. Again by choice. I just like it here so I can talk to people and maybe make a new friend or two.

Ditto :)

part of my lack of participation on-board is that DH works 12 hour days at the office and more at home. He wants me all to himself on a cruise and I am thrilled with that. So, except for saying HI to DISers we are alone-together on the trip. :love:

another part is that we live in a small condo so severely limit souviners as it is and would have no place to put Fish Extender gifts

and lastly--luggage space to bring gifts and take them home.....

But I love chatting here, getting ideas and sharing info!

Jan :earsgirl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter