April 16, 2013 - Disney Magic out of Galveston

Thanks!! So, being totally new I have a few questions. We booked our cruise through Expedia and don't have a stateroom number yet as it is a guarantee room. Anyone else used Expedia? What has been your experience with this?

Also, we would love to do the fish extenders but how do we do that w/o a room number?

Any special advice for first timers?

Thanks!!! So excited!!!!

Thanks!! So, being totally new I have a few questions. We booked our cruise through Expedia and don't have a stateroom number yet as it is a guarantee room. Anyone else used Expedia? What has been your experience with this?

Welcome :)

Never used expedia before, but they should have given you a reservation number. You use this to log into disney's website to do the online checkin and excursions. Since it is past the booking window, you should be able to book your excursions as long as you are PIF (paid in Full). You will also see on the reservation if your stateroom has been assigned yet, I don't think they send any notice out once hey assign it (never used a GTY room, always picked the room so I am not sure here) so I would just keep checking the website.

To join the FE .. Just send me a PM or send an email at julie@thecoyotesden.net or post the info on here to sign up for the FE and then let me know as soon as you get your room number and I will update the list. The details needed can be found in this thread FE Signup Details

Any special advice for first timers? Thanks!!! So excited!!!!

There is a lot of info on the boards, so I would start by looking through the forum. I love the passporter books they are wonderful. I am not sure if they cover the Galveston cruises yet as this is a newer cruise, but they do have a lot of info, so you might be able to find an older/used one for cheap =). But most importantly .. have fun =)

If you think of any specific questions .. please be sure to aske. There seem to be a lot of first timers on this cruise :) But there are a few repeat cruisers on here that can answer your questions =).

Julie

There is not a boutique on board. The last time we were on the Magic, back in 2010, they did a princess makeover for the kids. They closed down the Mickey Mates shop early and allowed the girls (2 at a time, get makeovers.) However this was in Russia on the night of the ballet and princess excursions, so I am guessing this was a one of a time occurance and not a new feature on the ship. This is also something they most likely will not offer on a 4 night cruise. There are a few offerings for mini manicures for pre-teens offered in the spa. They usually have hair braiding services offered ob the top decks.

When my daughters were younger they enjoyed dressing up. They got lots of extra attention at dinner and from the princesses. So this is really not out of the norm to see kids in princess dresses and pirate gear during pirate night.

We have done fishe extenders on our last 2 cruises. The kids love them and keep asking me if we are doing them again this year. My older daughter (14) wants to help me make something, since I am kinda crafty and enjoy making gifts. But I have not seen any mention yet. Maybe that is due to so many firest timers on board, so I will explain it and if that is someone folks are interested in I will be glad to manage it.

Basically a fe (fish extender) exchange is a small gift exchange. Those who chose to particpate are assigned a night (or some prefer to give anytime during the cruise) and leave a small trinket/gift to the other participants. The gifts can be store bought or hand made. There is a huge variety of want can be given, we have recieved things such as stickers & candy. As well as location gifts, such as a bottle of sand from the florida folks, small bottles of rum and tobasco. Picture frames, notepads, ornaments, magnets for the door. The list goes on and on (There are several threads dedicated to gift ideas). You can give gifts as Kids only, Adults Only, whole family, each individual. The opions vary as much as the gifts. The idea is mainly to have fun as it is not meant to cause to much stress of worry.

Julie
I would be interested in doing the fish extender.

Since I have quite a few folks asking, I am going to try and have one thread with all the FE info. I will update this post if I forget to cover something :)

To signup: You can post, PM jarudinski or email julie@thecoyotesden.net the following information. Family Name (last name)
*DISname:
Email
*Cabin #
* # in party
* # of Adults
Ages
* # of each genger (adults)
*# of children
Ages
* # of each gender (kids)
celebrating any special occasion, first time, additional notes, etc.

I will keep an online version which you can access here ...FE LIST updated 04/03/2013

For those that do not yet have staterooms assigned, I will leave that blank and you can email me the # as soon as you get them. If anyone gets upgraded at the port just let me know once you get onboard and I will post a list of cabin changes on my stateroom door.

Rules: It is pretty simple. You can make or buy a gift for the cabin. You only give 1 gift per cabin per cruise. You can choose to give multiple gifts if you so desire. You can give either a gift for the cabin, a gift for the individuals, a gift for the kids, a gift for the adults .. The possibilities are endless. Please be aware however, not all cabins have kids so just make sure every cabin gets something =).

You drop off the gifts in the FE sometime during the cruise. The gifts can either have your name on them or be completly anonomous .. your choice.

The most important thing is to have fun with this =)

To Be considerate of those making gifts and for travel times, we do need to have a cutoff date. I am thinkin April 1st. We can do this earlier if everyone desires.

Door Magnets: Here are some l inks to some door magnet threads. I will add more as I see them
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=31759702&postcount=1

If you have any other questions, please let me know. I will keep this post updated to have all the information consolidated in one place for reference and new comers =)

Julie

This will be my family's first Disney cruise! I am so excited but totally lost. I have a few friends who have gone who talk about trading gift items with other cabins, decorating their doors, etc.... anyone have any advice for a first timer?? Really looking forward to this trip for my 3 and 10 year old - want to make the most out of it. :)

I want to sign up to do the gift exchange...but I am totally new at this. Do I post here?? Please let me know what info you need from me. Thank you.

I want to sign up to do the gift exchange...but I am totally new at this. Do I post here?? Please let me know what info you need from me. Thank you.

Welcome aboard. =) For the fishe exchane either post here, PM jarudinski or email me at julie@thecoyotesden.net. Whatever you feel comfortable with =). I need the information found in this thread .... http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=47526024&postcount=87

Once I have your information I will update the spreadsheet. The Spreadsheet link in the post above will b e kept current and I try to send weekly updates via email if I have you email address.

You will also find a link to the Mickey ears door magnets. There are many other doormagnet threads. Do a search and/or look under the Creative Disigns thread.

I have founf the passporter cruise travel books a great source of information. They update it yearly for the latest excursion/port information. It may yet be to early for the Galveston cruises, so you may be able to get an older book for a discounted price as it still has a lot of useful information.

There are too many tips/ideas for one thread, but if you do a search you will find lots of info on this board for tips and first time cruisers.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask =). There are a lot of first time cruisers on this thread but there are a couple of veteran cruisers here as well that should be able to help out.

Julie

For first time cruisers, like myself, I just learned about PAT, port arrival time. We are all assigned a PAT to check in at port upon completion of online check in. I was in no hurry to check in, thinking it was ore like airline check in...nope! You have to select your arrival time when you check in so if you planned on getting to port at a certain time go check in as soon as you can to guarantee the slot of your choice. I am learning as I go too...thought it was worth sharing.

teamadco said:
For first time cruisers, like myself, I just learned about PAT, port arrival time. We are all assigned a PAT to check in at port upon completion of online check in. I was in no hurry to check in, thinking it was ore like airline check in...nope! You have to select your arrival time when you check in so if you planned on getting to port at a certain time go check in as soon as you can to guarantee the slot of your choice. I am learning as I go too...thought it was worth sharing.

The PAT numbers are really to control crowds. A majority of cruisers like to arrive when the terminal opens, that is when the boarding numbers really play an important role. Once the rush is over the remaining passengers seem to trickle in and they can board when they arrive. (This only works once the crowd dies down). if you have a 1:00 boarding time but you arrive an 12:30, if there are no crowds they will let you board, however if there are still big crowds they may make you wait to board until you PAT time and your boarding number is called.

We always tend to arrive an hour or two after the initial boarding time and walk right on without an issue.

We are first time cruisers... and still learning the ropes!
Is it to late to join the FE list?

Family Name: Eckols
Disname: rjeckols
cabin: 6626
2 adults (one male and one female)
1 child (6 year old female)

Hope you have a good day!
Rachael
Austin, Tx

rjeckols said:
We are first time cruisers... and still learning the ropes!
Is it to late to join the FE list?

Family Name: Eckols
Disname: rjeckols
cabin: 6626
2 adults (one male and one female)
1 child (6 year old female)

Hope you have a good day!
Rachael
Austin, Tx

Definitely not too late. I am not home now but I will get the list updated and sent out once I get home. I will send more details then :)

We just booked out 4/16 cruise. We have 7 people in two rooms and would love to join the FE group. This is our 2nd cruise! We went on the Dream in January. Please let me know what info you need from us!

Wendy :)

Siblingts said:
We just booked out 4/16 cruise. We have 7 people in two rooms and would love to join the FE group. This is our 2nd cruise! We went on the Dream in January. Please let me know what info you need from us!

Hi Wendy,

I can't post links right now (typing from my phone), but if you scroll back about 6 posts you should see my post about the FE stuff. I will post the link once I get home if you can't find it. I am planning on updating the spreadsheet once I get home, so I will include your name and then update once I get the rest of the information.

You may find the magic quite different than the Dream so if you have any questions please let us know. There seem to be a lot of first timers here but there are a few veteran cruisers too. This will be our 9th cruise and 7th on the magic so hopefully I can help :)

Here is our info. We did the FE on the Dream in January and we had soo much fun! I think the boys enjoyed putting the gifts in more than they enjoyed getting them.

Family Name (last name) - Hartnett
*DISname: Siblingts
Email: Siblingts at yahoo dot com
*Cabin # We are a GTY room
* # in party = 4
* # of Adults =2
Ages
* # of each genger (adults) = My mom and I are are traveling - Wendy Hartnett (tigger) and Lynda Homan (kid at heart loves the princesses)
*# of children = 2 boys - Nicolas (age 5) (fav character is Jake and the Neverland pirates) Brady (fav character is Stitch) is 10
Ages
* # of each gender (kids)
Our 2nd Disney Cruise. We went on the Dream in January.

We are traveling with the Furtado/Tran family

*Cabin # 7629
* # in party = 3
* # of Adults =1
Ages
* # of each genger (adults) = Mom is Poli Furtado
*# of children = 2 girls - Anna Tran (age 5) Bella Tran will be turning 9 on the ship. -- This is their 1st Disney cruise and Bella's bday!

Julie,
I sent the info to your email, and also attached it here. When I get to 10 posts I am going to post a pic of our FE and door from January :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter