Apparently *I* don't buy pools

Did he specifically say anything rude to you though, or was he just not helpful? One thing you could do, is call, ask for him, ask him questions, see how helpful he is. If he's not helpful...you'll know its just that he's a terrible salesman and isn't helpful to anyone. Over the phone, he'd have no way of knowing what the person calling looked like...or have a guy call or stop in...see if he's helpful to a male vs female as well.

ducklite said:
My guess is that he didn't want to deal with you because your husband wasn't along. A lot of sales people do'nt want to deal with one half of the pair, because they usually end up having to explain it all over again when they come back together a few days later. It goes for appliances, siding, roofing, windows, cars, you name it. It's not right, but that's the way it is.

I'd blow it off and buy someplace else. It's just not worth getting nuts over.

Anne

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

In fact, this perception is so prevelent, that I use it as an excuse when I feel I'm being pressured to make a decision before I'm ready. :rotfl:

lovetheparks said:
Yes - Mark was the general manager.

It may not be coming across right or maybe I've not painted a good picture.

I talked to so many people after this happened that agreed, I would likely not have been treated that way otherwise.
So, he did make comments?

In a hurry said:
I'm sorry, but at what point did he indicate that your weight was why he was a crummy salesman?

That was going to be my question. Maybe he's just a rude, terrible salesman!

I would likely not have been treated that way otherwise.

Why? That's what we're missing. Sales is about $$$. If this guy wanted to make money, he would have sold you a pool if you were 900 lbs. Seems like you're playing the "weight" card for no reason. You have it in your head, but it just doesn't make sense with the information you provided.

I don't see a size issue either. We're also putting in a pool. We called many companies and received very few call backs. A few that called back never showed up for appointments with us. We ended up going with the company that returned calls, showed up on time or called if there would be a delay, and followed through on their sales call.

Ask friends and neighbors that have pools who they purchased from. Someone should be able to refer you to a company that deserves your business.

He did not make any comments but it was apparant, looks, attitude, etc. BUT having read all your reactions, I will take that part out of the letter. No way I'd give them any future business but it may help someone else if he gets reprimanded.

So, while my gut says I'm right, since I want action, I'll go with outside opinion. :)

I get bad customer service all the time from all kinds of different places. I don't assume it's because of the way I look.

I think maybe you're projecting some insecurities on this situation.....

It may not be coming across right or maybe I've not painted a good picture.

The only reference to your weight in your original post came from you, not the salesman.

I understand how frustrating it is to be given poor service. Some salesmen just look for the quick, big sale, and are reluctant to invest any time with the customer.

If this guy was the manager, he may be a littly rusty on his direct selling skills.

None of that is any excuse. You complained, and you got an apology. What else do you want?

And again, I see no indication based on your story, that your weight had anything to do with it.

Well, it's no secret that there's fat discrimination. It may be subtle and institutionalized prejudice, but it's still there.

I would be miffed if he treated another client nicer and more serviceable if I was chubby/Pooh sized/overweight/etc and noticed a difference in his sales style to me.

I am just glad to hear you will be filing a complaint as no one should be treated this way no matter what their size, really. GL! :wizard:

I'm guessing it was more a lone woman thing than a weight thing. I have had salesman not want to talk to me until I come back with hubby (I hate that term) what they don't get is that if they don't deal with me first they will never see "hubby".

lovetheparks said:
He did not make any comments but it was apparant, looks, attitude, etc. BUT having read all your reactions, I will take that part out of the letter. No way I'd give them any future business but it may help someone else if he gets reprimanded.

So, while my gut says I'm right, since I want action, I'll go with outside opinion. :)
What "action" do you want? Honestly, from what you described I would just go to a different store. I wouldn't even bother with a complaint. If he's rude to other people, then they won't buy from them either.

ETA: as far as bad sales people go, I've walked into a car dealership knowing exactly what I wanted and been ignored by several sales people. I was with my dad too. I went to a different dealer and bought a car there.

The guy's a rotten salesman. I think he got ticked off when he realized you weren't going to be a quick sale and he'd actually have to work and maybe get nothing out of it...but that's how it is in sales sometimes. I am with everyone else on the board, I don't see any indication in anything you wrote that his behavior was based on your appearance. If this were a court case, that allegation wouldn't make it into evidence based on what's here.

grlpwrd said:
Well, it's no secret that there's fat discrimination. It may be subtle and institutionalized prejudice, but it's still there.

:thumbsup2 Ahhh the wording I was at a loss for: it's subtle - it's an attitude that I can't put into words.

Beth76 said:
What "action" do you want? Honestly, from what you described I would just go to a different store. I wouldn't even bother with a complaint. If he's rude to other people, then they won't buy from them either.

I would like for the owner to know how he treats people (or treated me in this case anyway). If it was bad enough for the Assistant Manager to apologize for him, I think it's bad enough for the owner to know. That's all.

Some people just have an attitude and suck at sales. If he didn't make comments I highly doubt it had a single thing to do with weight. I think that you are most likely hypersenstive about your weight and believe that the interactions that you have with people are a portrayal of your appearance. Really, I would just let it go.

grlpwrd said:

I agree, but I've also found out that if we're looking for discrimination we'll find it in any situation.

Without going OT and hijacking, I once thought something similar and had myself convinced that I was being judged on my weight but I found out that nothing could have been farther from the truth.

I just think we need to be careful not to jump to conclusions all the time.

Marseeya said:
I'm sorry, but I don't see any weight discrimination in your post. Lousy customer service, yes. Weight discrimination? I think you're reaching.

Ditto here. There was nothing in your post that implied ANYTHING about your weight.

FWIW I'm sorry I posted about this.

I am not able to put into words the attitude I received. I just expected you to understand the vibe and that's not happening. My fault for posting it the way I did.

I'm NOT hyper sensitive about my weight, I live a healthier lifestyle than MANY thin people I know so if you don't like how I look, that's your problem - is my general outlook on that.

HOWEVER - I never had been treated as rudely as I was by this man and I know now that my words did not do it justice.

Do I think I'm wrong? No I do not and if you've EVER had a gut feeling, perception, just KNEW something, you'd understand.

dcgrumpy said:
I'm sorry, but I must be missing something. What makes you think it had anything to do with your weight or appearance? :confused3
Mr. Mark there is:
1. having a very bad emotional upset day in general--perhaps DW left?
2. one of the world's worst salespersons
3. a misogynist or...
4. the owner's son/SIL???

Some folks just don't like fat people & will be quite curt or downright insulting. Heck, you can see this on the boards at times. As a fattie I have experienced this myself, although, I have experienced the female prejudice much, much more.

If you feel strongly about what happened...
When complaining, a letter always goes much further than phone calls or emails & doing all three is the very best. Phone the owners first, if you do not get a favorable response after a few days, follow up with a letter, wait a week or 2 for them to respond. Should they blow you off or react rudely then repeat the letter cc-ing the franchise owners. If still no response or unsatisfactory response then repeat letter cc-ing BBB, Chamber of Commerce. I love cc-ing for these things, but be very sure of your accusations. Be firm and couch your statements in the most kind terms. No angry or accusing language. Keep a copy. Also, know what you want--is it an apology?
I definitely wouldn't mention you believe Markie is prejudiced against the Pooh-sized or women, just that your treatment was extraordinarily lacking in any information re: pricing, features etc & his attitude was extremely rude & that it was witnessed~

As OPs said, take your good $$$ elsewhere. I have shopped for pools & now I realize how fortunate in our salespersons we were. :)

I am sorry that cretin upset you so much. :grouphug:

Jean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter