Apparently *I* don't buy pools

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by lovetheparks, Apr 10, 2006.

1. lovetheparks

lovetheparks DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>My Uncle found ou

Think I've gotten about all the input I could ask for. Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. In a hurry

In a hurry DIS Veteran

I'm sorry, but at what point did he indicate that your weight was why he was a crummy salesman?

4. twinklebug

twinklebug Thawing out

I was about to ask the same :confused3

5. dcgrumpy

dcgrumpy <font color=blue>Doesn't give a ... darn<br><font

I'm sorry, but I must be missing something. What makes you think it had anything to do with your weight or appearance? :confused3

6. CookieGVB

CookieGVB <font color=magenta>S/D Cheerleader & SSB Tormento

Are you sure it had to do with your size, and not the fact that you were a woman?

Sorry you felt trampled...go somewhere else with your business, where you feel comfortable, and are treated with respect.

7. Marseeya

Marseeya <font color=blue>Drama Magnet<br><font color=deepp

I'm sorry, but I don't see any weight discrimination in your post. Lousy customer service, yes. Weight discrimination? I think you're reaching.

8. kpm76

kpm76 DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>Charlie Brown is

I am sorry for your bad experience and nobody should be treated poorly because of the way they look. However, I didn't get any indication from your story that Mark treated you this way because of your size? Did I miss something? Maybe that's just the way he is...and if so, I can't imagine he's a very good salesperson....go somewhere else....good luck :)

9. ducklite

ducklite <font color=teal>Take the Poly, it's fabulous!<br>

I agree with the others--what indication did he give that your weight was a problem. Maybe he doesn't like women. Maybe he doesn't like brunettes (assuming you are one.) Maybe he's just an ***. Either way, based on your story I'm not seeing where weight had anything to do with it. If there's more to the story, then please do tell.

My guess is that he didn't want to deal with you because your husband wasn't along. A lot of sales people do'nt want to deal with one half of the pair, because they usually end up having to explain it all over again when they come back together a few days later. It goes for appliances, siding, roofing, windows, cars, you name it. It's not right, but that's the way it is.

I'd blow it off and buy someplace else. It's just not worth getting nuts over.

Anne

10. kdibattista

kdibattista <font color=darkorchid>It left an indent the size

I was going to ask the same thing... although there is no reason to be treated this way. Maybe he was just having a bad day :confused3 .

11. WIcruizer

WIcruizer DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>I'm a man that wo

Count me as confused as well. Seems like you're sensitive about your weight, but I'm missing how that has anything to do with this situation.

Chalk it up as another bad retail salesperson. There's thousands of them, and you found one. Happens to me half the time I try to buy something, so I'm not sure what the BB has to do with anything. Whenever I expereince a bad salesperson, I simply go to another store.

12. froglady

froglady <font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=limegre

I don't see anything other than a lazy salesman who just doesn't want to bother with anyone who isn't a quick sale.

They seem to be more prevelant in big ticket items, such as cars, pools, appliances, and furniture. If you aren't ready to buy right this minute they don't want to "waste" their time on you.

They haven't committed fraud, so the BBB probably won't get involved.

I've gotten my revenge by purchasing the same item elsewhere (in the case of two different cars) and calling the original dealership to let them know WHY they lost the sale, and why I'll never be back. I also pass the info along to anyone who'll listen, especially if they ask about my experience shopping for the item. It's not like people buy a pool or car every day; most people will ask around for advice.

By the same token, when I find a salesperson I like, I pass THAT along, also.

13. azgal81

azgal81 <font color=blue>I am such a big fan of color<br><

I highly doubt this had anything to do with your weight. Some people are just poor customer service people or could have just been having a bad day. Maybe he was getting ready to leave for the day and he didn't feel the need to talk to you for an hour or maybe he was busy and didn't have the time either. Maybe since he was the manager it's not his job to sell the pools and he was just covering for someone or you caught him when he was getting ready to do something else. I think you are just looking for a reason to blame him and think your weight is an issue with salespeople. Why would he discriminate against you because of your weight that's kinda stupid. I'm sorry he was rude to you but thinking it was because of your weight sorry but I rolled my eyes and cracked up over here!

14. Kimberly815

Kimberly815 DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>you can call us M

This Mark guy should not have treated you this way for any reason what so ever. Horrible service, and it seems that he is a horrible salesman from your experiences. I am sorry that you had to deal with a bozo like that!

However, I agree. Are we missing something where he made reference to your weight?

15. Crankyshank

Crankyshank <font color=CC0066>love the happy bunny<br> <fon

I'm confused by this statement
    Are you saying Mark is the general manager?

I also agree with the previous posters. I don't get where you were treated poorly because of your weight.

16. crazee4mickey

crazee4mickey <font color=darkcoral>Ever thought you had a great

Count me on the list of those who are confused....I re-read the post a couple of times thinking that I may have missed it somewhere :confused3

Could it be he was frustrated because he wanted to make a sale and not answer questions? Still not right to do but I'm just trying to figure out what happened.

I've run into sales people like this before and they are not polite or obliging once they realize you aren't going to pull out the cheque book immediately!

17. Marseeya

Marseeya <font color=blue>Drama Magnet<br><font color=deepp

I had a car salesman do that to me when I wanted to test drive a car. I told him I was trying to figure out which car I wanted and he actually said to me that he didn't want to go through all that work if I ended up not being serious about the car. :eek:

18. luckywife

luckywife <font color=darkcoral>Really believed in the 10:00

I'm confused as well :confused3

I went back and read your post for a second time because I thought I had missed something that was said about your weight or appearance.

19. laurajetter

laurajetter Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi

Gotta say I had the same reaction as everyone else so far. What is it that makes you think that it was specifically your weight that caused him to act like that? He could've just been a crappy salesman. Maybe he didn't feel like working that day. Maybe this, maybe that. There is no excuse for how he treated you, I'm just saying you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

You made no mention of any derogatory comments, snide remarks, rude glances that could be interepreted as a someone who was discriminating against you for the reason you claim. Instead of making a complaint to the store which includes a reference to your weight, make the complaint based on the horrible manner in which you were treated, without mentioning your weight at all, it seems irrelevant. Let them take it from there.

20. momof2inPA

momof2inPA <font color=6600FF>DIS Veteran<br><font color=FF33

I don't think it was your weight, either. Two hundred pounds just isn't that uncommon these days. If you're in Florida, just find another pool store. They're probably everywhere.

21. lovetheparks

lovetheparks DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>My Uncle found ou

Yes - Mark was the general manager.

It may not be coming across right or maybe I've not painted a good picture.

I talked to so many people after this happened that agreed, I would likely not have been treated that way otherwise.

*editing to add that I am NOT one that uses my weight as an excuse. I eat right, exercise and am otherwise healthy so I don't go looking to use that as excuse.