Apparently Disney is trying to kill the Muppets

acamusic

Mouseketeer
A radio play, surely based on fact, sometime in the recent past:

Disney exec #1: We've got a problem in DHS. We have a beloved Muppets attraction that needs to go to make room for new development. We already know we're going to lose One Man's Dream, the Animation building and those darned Christmas lights. If we tear down the Muppet theatre we may have a mutiny on our hands.

Disney exec #2: Maybe if we systematically kill the brand people won't care.

Disney exec #3: I've got a great idea. Let's make a new Muppets show for ABC!

Disney exec#2: That doesn't sound like killing the brand...

Disney exec #3: No wait, hear me out. We'll call it "The Muppets for the the next generation!"

Disney exec #1: But the Muppets are for all generations. That's what makes the brand so special.

Disney exec #3: But have you watched TV lately? Edgy is the name of the game. We'll make The Muppets like real people, dealing with real emotions. We won't just have slapstick and farce. We'll throw in sex jokes! It'll be great!

Disney exec #2: Sounds awful.

Disney exec #1: Sound fantastic! It will alienate kids with it's bawdy humor. It will alienate parents who had fond memories and high expectations. And it will be too immature to really attract a new audience.

Disney exec #3: Right! Parents will want to hide the Muppets from their kids so they won't have to explain the meanings behind all the inappropriate jokes. Guests will be practically begging us to take MuppetVision 3-D out of the park. They won't want a trace of a Muppet anywhere in sight!

Disney execs #1, 2, and 3: Genius!

RIP Muppets

I just watched the new ABC show and I liked it far more than I figured I would.
I have no idea if it will succeed or not, but I laughed out loud many times during the show.

Last edited:
I've never known kids to be alienated by bawdy humor. If they're too young, it just goes over their heads. If they're old enough to understand, they feel cool, like they are in on the joke.

My DDs are 3 and 9, and they both laughed repeatedly during the show.

That new pig? Her face isn't shaped right and her voice isn't funny. I thought Tom Bergeron was the funniest part of the show.

I have mixed feelings about the show. I didn't find it as funny as I thought I would and I am upset they made Kermit like another pig, but it was a little funny. We'll see what happens next week.

But I LOVE that Muppet show in MGM (I will forever call it this). I would be heartbroken if it left. I sure hope that don't ruin that area...plus I go to Pizza Planet at least twice a trip...

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew repeatedly tazers Beaker (who finally succumbs and falls out of frame.)
KERMIT (to Honeydew): "But, isn't that dangerous?"
HONEYDEW: "No. I'm wearing rubber gloves."

Last edited:
I loved it. The characters seemed very true to their personalities and I loved the more obscure ones in the background, much like you saw in the original Muppet Show.

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew repeated tazers Beaker (who finally succumbs and falls out of frame.)
KERMIT (to Honeydew): "But, isn't that dangerous?"
HONEYDEW: "No. I'm wearing rubber gloves."

That was one of the scenes that made my kids crack up. They also liked Statler and Waldorf and Tom Bergeron waiting for the elevator.

I didn't care much for it. I wanted the old guys in the balcony and more Sam Eagle and Sweetums. Maybe I'm too traditional. :)

We thought it was the Muppets do a combination of The Office and 30 Rock. We thought that was a little strange since it was a different network than those shows, but the whole family loved it! There were all levels of humor in it. It was odd because DH, DD and I were all laughing out loud at different times. There were jokes DD did not understand or that went over her head. She asked me to explain Miss Piggy's plastic surgery jokes because she didn't know what a lift was. I was surprised at the sex jokes, but I think they go over kids heads. I don't think kids read into those what adults do. We will definitely watch it again next week. It is already a new favorite at our house.

I liked it. Jim Henson didn't want to be pigeon holed into kids programming when he was asked to do Sesame Street so I think this is a pretty good tribute to him. I know these mom groups are all up in arms saying it's not right, but it was never marketed to kids.

It was okay. It should be on later, though. I was a bit surprised by some of the jokes, but thought it was funny for adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter