Apparently Disney is trying to kill the Muppets

I never thought the show would be geared towards kids at all. It seems like it's targeting the older 25+ group who grew up watching it. Now they're trying to relate them to a more adult life and stuff.

I could be wrong though, I've never been a fan of the muppets except the Christmas Carol movie lol. I did however love the promo with the muppet asking agent coulson all the secrets about shield hahaha.

A prime time network Muppets show would likely have sensibility more in common with The Simpsons than with Sesame Street.

Ren & Stimpy of a a few years back had a sensibility that was quite "above kids' heads" for the most part, even SpongeBob, and Phineas & Ferb now skew to more savvy references in the scripts.

And, BTW, I have no prediction of the Muppets staying-power on prime time.

Last edited:
It was about what I expected. I laughed, rolled my eyes, and enjoyed it for the most part. Will turn it on next week.

DH and I really liked it - grew up with the Muppet Show and the movies. Knew this would be nothing like the original and it shouldn't be. Caught ourselves laughing out loud quite a bit. Looking forward to next week.

If it was marketed to children, it wouldn't be on in the evening, even 7. Are there kids shows on at 7 pm on major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS)? Not really. That's not to say there shouldn't be children's programming on at that time, I'm just saying most things on at primetime, even family shows, do have innuendos. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

The innuendos are intended to go over kids' heads and also appeal to adults. I thought it was fine, actually hilarious.

For my generation (80s kid), Muppets hit the kid audience with Muppet Babies. Now that was marketed to children. It brought Kermit, Piggy etc. down to a much younger level. But the live Muppets, to me, were always targeted more at an older audience.

If it was marketed to children, it wouldn't be on in the evening, even 7. Are there kids shows on at 7 pm on major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS)? Not really. That's not to say there shouldn't be children's programming on at that time, I'm just saying most things on at primetime, even family shows, do have innuendos. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

The innuendos are intended to go over kids' heads and also appeal to adults. I thought it was fine, actually hilarious.

For my generation (80s kid), Muppets hit the kid audience with Muppet Babies. Now that was marketed to children. It brought Kermit, Piggy etc. down to a much younger level. But the live Muppets, to me, were always targeted more at an older audience.

MickeyWaffles - we are in the same age range and I couldn't agree more with your comments. I think you nailed it.

DS is a high school coach. Last week he wore his Beaker shirt to practice. Most the kids had no idea who it was. o_O

We watched the show, laughed and can't wait for next week. It's different from the old one, but I don't know that the old one could survive in today's market. It's not for kids, it wasn't meant to be for kids - other than maybe trying to pick up some of these teens that have no idea who they are. Throw in some adult humor and you may draw them in as fans. Since most was innuendos, any young children probably would not pick up on any of it. The Muppets are perfect for incorporating some adult humor, there are plenty of Henson characters that are best for young children. AND the Muppets can actually entertain all ages depending on the presentation. I think it will find it's groove.

We are big Muppet fans, have all the movies and shows and more. DS says the DHS show should never leave or change because it is one of Jim Henson's last performances. Taking it out would be a real loss. Disney bought all those rights - it makes no sense to not incorporate them into the park.

Slightly side note: They said SW Land would be an "EXPANSION". That word means to outside the current boundaries, not to cannibalize other parts of the park.

I loved it!! I watched with my 7 & 8 year old kids, they thought it was silly, and the adult jokes went right over their heads. Laughs from me, laughs from them, we will watch next week for sure!

I will also add that The Muppets always skewed to some adult/inside jokes, even in the movies that were marketed more specifically to children. One of my favorite lines in The Muppet Christmas Carol is when Rizzo says, "Our assets are frozen!" There are always one-liners like that to keep the adults entertained.

By today's standards I felt it was a reasonably family friendly show. It's still way more tame than most sitcoms on Prime Time TV these days. The adult jokes would probably go over kids' heads (like Fozzie's bear joke). It is kinda low-key though, so I can see where it's not really geared toward kids. I can tell this will be a very divisive show.

I actually wanted to see "Dancing with the Czars" as that is exactly the kind of thing that would have actually been on The Muppet Show.

I'm not against them changing it, or even making it more adult like BUT it just wasn't funny to me........ at all. I won't be watching again.

I'm watching it right now and I like it all right. I'm not a big Muppets fan in general but it's moderately funny.

I was pretty disappointed in it. We watched it with my 5 & 7 year old & they asked quite a few times "what does that mean?" especially if I laughed at something. I get that it might not be marketed to the kids, but they see the commercials for it, billboards around town, etc and they want to watch it. So, that's a tough one. I get people liking the "edgier" muppets, but my biggest complaint is the negative Kermit on the show. He's supposed to be the happy and optimistic one bringing everyone together. Instead we get to watch him go thru the motions of an unhappy job. Just not enjoyable like it could be. I did laugh a few times, but I was so excited to see the Muppets back on tv & I was hoping it would be more like the Muppets of old.

I actually wanted to see "Dancing with the Czars" as that is exactly the kind of thing that would have actually been on The Muppet Show.

If you ever watched NBC's "SCTV"** (a series about the strange goings-on behind the scenes at a fictitious TV network,) you'll recall that they did a LOT of simply making "promos" (commercials) for shows.
They didn't need to actually make the SHOWS, the jokes were all in the absurdity of the promos.

** Launched the careers of John Candy, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara, Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Harold Ramis, Dave Thomas...

Last edited:
This is the dumbest complaint I have read on here in awhile. Yes OP Disney haS come up with an amazingly original way to bury and kill a multi million dollar profitable brand, Lets give them a fall season prime time time slot to try to get people to not enjoy our product. Overreact much or just looking for attention. Show wasn't the greatest but like the old shows was geared towards all audiences.

Also, as a comparison…
On Monday night at 8:30PM EDT, (nearly the same time of night as ABC ran The Muppets on Tuesday)
CBS ran a so-called "Family Comedy" named Life in Pieces.

Did anyone experience THAT show?

In the 70s I enjoyed The Muppet Show as a kid.

In the 90s I enjoyed The Muppets Tonight (which nobody else on this board has mentioned) as an adult.

I watched The Muppets this week found the whole thing rather flat (much like the last two Muppet movies), but I will try it again to see if it improves.

Also, as a comparison…
On Monday night at 8:30PM EDT, (nearly the same time of night as ABC ran The Muppets on Tuesday)
CBS ran a so-called "Family Comedy" named Life in Pieces.

Did anyone experience THAT show?

Yep....for about 30 seconds! And that was about 27 too many....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter