Apparently Disney is trying to kill the Muppets

David Bianculli, TV critic on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross, and the founder and editor of the online magazine TVworthwatching.com, basically said that if there was one new series to watch this fall, it should be the Muppets. Pretty high praise.

Dan

We watched it as a family (me, DH, DS15, DS13) and really enjoyed it! DS13 was in absolute hysterics during most of it--just watching him crack up was enough to get everyone going. Yeah, a little edgy but I didn't think it was way over any line. Looking forward to next week!

I really enjoyed it.

You can't go back. Kids sensibilities today are not what they were in the 80's & 90's. When my kids were little they thought power rangers were cool. my little nieces and nephews now are a different breed.

LOL, I loved it when Kermit said he was in bacon "hell"

Count our family as unimpressed. Loved Muppets Most Wanted. Had our hopes set higher.

I really liked how this show reminds me of The Office and the humor was a bit more adult oriented. I'm 29 and I rather watch something that is geared towards older folks than young ones.

I really liked how this show reminds me of The Office and the humor was a bit more adult oriented. I'm 29 and I rather watch something that is geared towards older folks than young ones.

If you're 29, be confident that most new shows will be aimed at YOU.

I don't understand their target audience. I would never sit down with my husband and watch it. I sat with my daughter because I thought it was a family show and felt the sexual references were a little too much for young kids. I wont make it a point to rewatch it.

I love the muppet show at dhs...we all think it's great here!

You know, I was worried when they were saying this was an "edgier" take on the Muppets, but, well, maybe it is egdier than Muppets usually is, but I didn't find it to be edgy at all. It has slightly more adult situations, very slightly. I get what they're trying to do, and for the most part I liked it. I hope it grows into itself a bit more, but after the pilot I'll continue to watch.

The protective gloves bit is a very Muppets gag!

Disney exec #3: Right! Parents will want to hide the Muppets from their kids so they won't have to explain the meanings behind all the inappropriate jokes. Guests will be practically begging us to take MuppetVision 3-D out of the park. They won't want a trace of a Muppet anywhere in sight!

Disney execs #1, 2, and 3: Genius!

RIP Muppets

I think you are only half right here. I'm thinking that they wanted to create a win/win. If the show succeeds, then they have great intellectual property to use to generate revenue. If it fails, they can get rid of it and make way for new stuff, like you mention.

I don't know what to think. I laughed out loud a few times. I thought the foz/GF thing was kinda weird. I thought having Kermit have a new GF and it being a very disturbing looking pig was kinda weird. I think they could have taken it somewhere else with him single for a while. maybe trying to build to something I HOPE. they will prob get back together. I can't believe I'm actually talking about this.

all in all it sucked compared to what I grew up with, but I'm not going to write it off yet. it's only one episode. it was a 50%/50% to me. sam was pretty funny in the beginning. I'm not liking the office ripoff, which I fell they are doing towards. just isn't coming off the same as the office did.

jim

My wife and I both liked it. It will take a few episodes for it to find it's rhythm I think but we thought it was good. I was hoping for a more adult show which is what we got.

I grew up watching the Muppet's show and was looking forward to the new one last night. I watched it but just don't get what they are trying to do. It isn't anything close to the show I grew up with and had no idea what to expect with the new show but it didn't make me want to watch it again. I will give it another shot next week but it will have to get a lot better for me to keep watching it. I want the show to do well as I love the Muppet's and would like more Muppet's in the parks.

I enjoyed the show but I agree that it needed to be on later. It's really not for kids, most of the jokes were adult oriented.

We've been counting down the days until the premiere since about June...we were so excited.

DF and I enjoyed it to a degree...however...a little piece of my heart is breaking because I can't share these muppets with my DS (5). I am not comfortable with the nature of the humor, or the adult situations.

Back to Muppet Show DVDs and Taking Manhattan for us. :tilt:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter