Anyone with experience in putting a dog or cat at a kennel?

krazyboutWDW

<font color=00CCCC>The TF highly recommends the be
It looks like we may have to board our puppy when we go out of town. I have never done this before. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Do the pets usually do okay with this? I would really rather have the puppy stay at home and have someone take care of her (feed her, walk her, etc...) but the person we had lined up to do this can't so, we are thinking of doing this. I just wanted to know what to expect. I should mention we are boarding her at our vet's office and the staff he has there (especially the guy who handles the boarding part) are great.

We boarded our cat. It was the easiest solution for all involved. Of course, it took several days before we were forgiven, but the cat was cantankerous anyway. :) IF I ever have another pet, boarding will be the only way to go.

We have boarded our 2 shelties at a local kennel many times. Make sure they require kennel cough vaccines for the dogs. And the dogs may come home hoarse from all the barking they do. I am sure they will be fine.

A very recent experience. We were gone for 3 1/2 weeks. We had it all planned for our two year old dog to stay with a close friend. The day before our trip my friend's father had a heart attack and she had to pack and leave to be with him. We spent a mad couple of hours trying to find a kennel that had space (our vet's was full up) and get our dog the kennel cough shot etc. By the time we drove her to the kennel I was a total basket case - I cried like a baby after we left.

She ended up spending two weeks in the kennel before my friend could "rescue" her. Bottom line was that she was fine, my friend's father is fine, and everything went okay. My dog seems no worse for the wear.

Try not to worry - it will be fine.

I board dogs, and we take care of the boarding dogs just as well as we take care of our own. Sometimes I think better than they are used to at home.

We have used kennels when we have had holidays.
Our dog goes in fairly happily..in the past I always supplied them with his food, but as he never eats it there, decided not to this year. One thing I always do ( after it being recommended the first time ) is send an old housecoat or jumper of mine....that I have worn recently.....seems the scent helps them settle.
Sometimes dogs come back a bit thin( mine hasnt, but a friends always does)......but generally this isnt too big a problem.

We've used the kennel at our vets office. Our dog seems to enjoy it. I think they spoil him. When we get to the kennel he can't wait to get out of the car and into the office. He does come home horse from all the barking. If your dog has a doggie bed or blanket let him take that so he has something from home. Bottom line is the kennel takes good care of our dog and I don't have to worry about putting out friends or family by asking them to take care of him.

I'm glad this thread was started. I have to board our dog in Dec. for 2.5 weeks and I'm already stressing about it.

I just want to be assured that she'll get enough exercise and won't be cramped up all day long in a cage. We don't have too many choices for boarding facilities here and the one that I've picked (the same place that she goes for obediance school) looks like it will do the job. I've certainly put them through the third degree enough :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We also board our dog at our Vet's office. Many veterinarians offer this service to their clients. This way, we're secure that he's being taking care of, and if he gets sick, he's in the right place! :)

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm glad ya'll mentioned about an article of clothing with my scent. I hadn't thought of that and the vets' office didn't mention that. They did mention to bring a few toys, blankets, pillows or other items that she really likes.

We brought her in to get the kennel cough vaccine. They said they wouldn't take her without it.

I know I'm probably worrying needlessly (our vet is really good and very caring). I just feel bad about leaving her in unusual surroundings. She is also very attached to us, especially DH. You guys have made me feel a lot better though. Thanks again. :D :D

We've boarded our two cats several times. The last time was at different place because our Vet didn't offer the service any more.
At the place we put them we had the option separate kennels for each cat or they could stay together. They do get along so we decided to put them together. They came out actually more friendly to each other than before. We will do it again this December for our WDW trip.

Our dogs love the kennel we use (at the groomers). They use to have to go to my mothers and stay out side all of the time (with a dog house and a porch). However last yr my mother went with us to WDW and we used the kennel for the first time. The dogs get really excited and pull DH down the walkway when they get there. Thye always come home well fed (a few lbs heavier I think). This last time one dog had a "hot spot" from flea bits and they treated it at no charge with a topical cream.

I started a thread just like this a few months ago. We were going to WDW and had to board our mini dachshund for 2 weeks. I was very worried about it, even though I thought we found a great kennel that came highly recommended by others.

Well, the dog survived and so did I! We will definitely kennel her next year when we go for 2 weeks. She was a little thinner but we expected that and it turned out to be good - she had gained some extra weight!

Her kennel was an indoor-outdoor run. The inside was cement walls & floor but she couldn't see any other dogs. The outside was fence and other dogs on either side, so she could run and socialize but not be in any danger of actual contact with the other dogs. The door was open during the day, so she could choose to be in or out. At night they closed the door so she would be inside all night.

The bottom line is - I felt terrible boarding her before we left and while we were on our trip. She was perfectly fine when we got back. I worried for nothing! Next time I'll be much more relaxed about the whole thing.

I hope your experience is as good as mine was!!

We boarded our dog twice. We never had a problem just felt a little guilty. The dog was fine. :D

In NYC, they call that a doggie spa. :p

Well, I still felt very guilty (on my way down to WDW, but couldn't stop sobbing). My dog survived it. He doesn't like other dogs so I'm extra worried. He came home a little thinner, hoarse voice (barks too much), but he has much more confident since. He wouldn't even mind smelling other doggie's butts afterwards.

I think it's a good break for them.

I agree with everyone else. First dog, couldn't bring myself to do it....caused travel problems etc.

Next dog, made it a point to start when he was a puppy. He loves it. They all know him by name, he gets all worked up in the car when we get on the block of the kennel and he doesn't even look back! (Maybe we shouldn't beat him so often?) JUST KIDDING

Article of clothing is a good idea (or favorite toy) and see if they bath them if it will be for a long period. Also he is usually exhusted when he gets home so don't be concerned if that happens.

I forgot about taking their toys and bed. I think that really helps them feel more at home. The place we take our dogs is an old converted barn. It has the cement walls and floor in the pens, and a dirt floor in the middle. They let the dogs out (1 at a time, or all from the same home) several times a day to play. Our two don't get along well at home (long story) but do at the kennel.

We have boarded our dog at a kennel 3 times. It's much easier for us because she is not on a regular schedule (spoiled girl!!). Our kennel also does grooming so we tell her she is going to the spa!!
We always get the "extra play time" for her - it's a small extra fee but worth it.

We just boarded our westie for 2 weeks. She is home a bit thinner, hoarse from all her barking, and clean from the complete bath that I gave her. We toured the kennel we use a few years ago before boarding her. Since you will be using your vet's office and know the staff, that should be more reassuring than sending your puppy someplace that you don't know. My dog does OK and is always happy to see us. I think most pet owners feel guilty boarding their pets but they usually do fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter