Anyone try the new Weight Watchers?

I think the lowest points are 30. That is how many I have. Some days are easier than others to stick to 30.

I'm in the 30 club, too. And while I complain that this is so low (I used to be 26 on the old plan), there are days I have to be creative to get all my 30 points in -- I've always eaten a lot of vegetables and fruit and now with lean meat having fewer points, I do like it. However, looking at their points for restaurant meals I'll probably never eat out again, hahahaha.

My Fitness Pal offers pretty much the same online tools for free. You can also sync it with your Fitbit to track your activity/exercise.

I don't do the free calorie counting anymore. I did that for a year and lost minimally, even staying within calories. WW is designed to discourage sugar and fat. On MFP I ate a lot of stuff I don't eat now because the calories were ok but the points are too high.

WW is designed to discourage sugar and fat.

Guess that's part of the new WW - it was never like that when I tried it. If you have the extra money to spend every month, I'm sure WW is a good option.

Guess that's part of the new WW - it was never like that when I tried it. If you have the extra money to spend every month, I'm sure WW is a good option.

I agree. I think the previous renditions of WW actually encouraged trying to fit in sweets with the points, often foregoing nutrition. This new plan seems to take care of that.

Believe me, if MFP for free was working for me I'd love to save some $ too :)

$20/mo really isn't that bad though - I get a retraining in nutrition, support and friends in online forums, and lots of recipes.

Down. 4.7 since the 9th. And that is including last weekend being out of town for a birthday weekend. Whole bottle of Champagne is 20 sp. Drank that with some Ice Tea between. Food was Shrimp, veggies tray, Hummus, Ahi Tuna, and some other lite bites. Had 2 bites of the Red Velvet Cheesecake. Had a huge grilled Chicken Salad for lunch while traveling to party.

Kae

thats great!
I also had a weekend that included going out for Guatamalan food & beers, quite a bit of wine and a pizza. I even had a blueberry pancake for dessert the other night (no butter/no syrup) but it all fit into my points.
Im really liking the new system they have going!

thats great!
I also had a weekend that included going out for Guatamalan food & beers, quite a bit of wine and a pizza. I even had a blueberry pancake for dessert the other night (no butter/no syrup) but it all fit into my points.
Im really liking the new system they have going!

I like it too. I needed help with my sugar that's for sure. And the huge points for sweets is helping me make smarter choices. I use skinnytaste site for a lot of my recipes.

I like it too. I needed help with my sugar that's for sure. And the huge points for sweets is helping me make smarter choices. I use skinnytaste site for a lot of my recipes.

I totally agree! It helps me make better choices too. Carbs (pasta, pizza, bread etc) are my biggest weakness which is basically just sugar. I got stuck grabbing lunch at Au Bon Pain earlier in the week and they had a new sandwich that was about 350 calories, advertised as healthy. It was a veggie bagel with egg whites, turkey sausage and cheese. I plugged in all the nutritional info into WW and it was 14 points! WOW!
I love skinnytaste! I am going to make her Spanish Chicken and Rice tonight. I wont lie though- I'm so happy my weekly points are refreshed so I can have some pizza and wine this weekend.

Why not just count calories and exercise? That's free.
Your right, counting calories and exercise are free. However, WW is so much more than just that. WW was a place where I could get support, hear success stories from others, learn from mistakes others made and etc. I lost over 115 lbs on WW and still almost four years later have kept it off. For me it was not a diet but rather a change of living. I'm not sure I could have done it without the help. Telling someone who has an addiction to food and fighting obesity to why not just count calories and exercise is like telling an alcoholic to just stop drinking the booze or a drug addict to put the crack pipe down... For many it's an addiction. For me, I had 30 years of my then 48 years living of eating wrong and no exercise and fought low self esteem because of my obesity and had to be taught how to eat correctly and needed the support of others. For some, sure they can just download a phone application, go buy a fit bit, stop eating the ice cream, Twinkees, Snickers Bars, pizza, pasta, high fat and carb foods and other junk, start reading the Internet and sorting out advice whether it is sound or not and jump on a treadmill and start exercising. I was not one of those persons and today I am healthier, in shape, eat properly and exercise; Weight Watchers was an effective tool that helped me get there. :goodvibes

I'm curious, have you ever had to fight obesity or an addiction in your life before? If you have and you were able to take control over it on your own I commend you. If you have never had to fight an addiction of any kind I also commend you. I and many others are not that strong and needed help from others. Not flaming you at all.

Last edited:
Your right, counting calories and exercise are free. However, WW is so much more than just that. WW was a place where I could get support, hear success stories from others, learn from mistakes others made and etc. I lost over 115 lbs on WW and still almost four years later have kept it off. For me it was not a diet but rather a change of living. I'm not sure I could have done it without the help. Telling someone who has an addiction to food and fighting obesity to why not just count calories and exercise is like telling an alcoholic to just stop drinking the booze or a drug addict to put the crack pipe down... For many it's an addiction. For me, I had 30 years of my then 48 years living of eating wrong and no exercise and fought low self esteem because of my obesity and had to be taught how to eat correctly and needed the support of others. For some, sure they can just download a phone application, go buy a fit bit, stop eating the ice cream, Twinkees, Snickers Bars, pizza, pasta, high fat and carb foods and other junk, start reading the Internet and sorting out advice whether it is sound or not and jump on a treadmill and start exercising. I was not one of those persons and today I am healthier, in shape, eat properly and exercise; Weight Watchers was an effective tool that helped me get there. :goodvibes

I'm curious, have you ever had to fight obesity or an addiction in your life before? If you have and you were able to take control over it on your own I commend you. If you have never had to fight an addiction of any kind I also commend you. I and many others are not that strong and needed help from others. Not flaming you at all.

Did you go to meetings? Comparing the online WW to MFP, they are very similar. MFP has online forums for support, you "friend" people and share your successes and challenges, you can track calories and exercise, get goals of how many calories to eat and how much exercise to do to reach specific weight goals, and I really like the online newsletter they email you once a week. It has great recipes and exercise tips, etc.

Glad WW worked so well for you!

The difference for me between WW and MFP is being encouraged to eat fruits and vegetables on WW versus using up precious calories on MFP. I don't overdo it on fruits and veggies, so having them be "free" on WW doesn't hurt my progress. I also like that WW gives me extra weekly points I can use on a splurge. MFP gives you the same # of calories every day, so a splurge puts you in the red for the day, even if for the week you are still on track.

I also have flip flopped between MFP and WW for quite some time before firmly committing to WW about a year ago. I have lost close to 20 pounds since college but the real win was how WW taught me WHAT to eat. With MFP you could just track calories (as you could with old WW points, in my opinion) worth of junk food. A lot of people follow IIFYM (If It Fits your Macros) which is designed to give you flexibility while trying to eat exactly a certain amount of Carbs/Protein/Fat each day. I tried that - couldn't do it - it made me obsessive over the numbers. That's exactly what I'm trying to get away from.

I like WW because it's somewhat mindless to me. Tracking and staying within my points has become second nature. I hope you can all find the balance that works for you, WW does for me!

That being said I don't know if I want to keep paying for it. I'm thinking about switching to one of the apps that are like $3.99 (one time) instead.

Ok never having Chinese food again, LOL The points were super high.

I also have flip flopped between MFP and WW for quite some time before firmly committing to WW about a year ago. I have lost close to 20 pounds since college but the real win was how WW taught me WHAT to eat. With MFP you could just track calories (as you could with old WW points, in my opinion) worth of junk food. A lot of people follow IIFYM (If It Fits your Macros) which is designed to give you flexibility while trying to eat exactly a certain amount of Carbs/Protein/Fat each day. I tried that - couldn't do it - it made me obsessive over the numbers. That's exactly what I'm trying to get away from.

I like WW because it's somewhat mindless to me. Tracking and staying within my points has become second nature. I hope you can all find the balance that works for you, WW does for me!

That being said I don't know if I want to keep paying for it. I'm thinking about switching to one of the apps that are like $3.99 (one time) instead.

how close are you to goal? Do you go to meetings?

Ok never having Chinese food again, LOL The points were super high.

Right!! It is a once in a blue moon thing for me now. I do love Hibachi too. One of my favorite things though is that Sushi is pretty low in points so I get that when my fiance gets his General Tsos and then I just get a bite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter