Anyone try the new Weight Watchers?

I do! I have done PointsPlus for about 2 years before they made the switch to SmartPoints. I used to get 26 PP with 49 Weekly, now I get 30 SP with 35 Weekly.

The major complaints I have seen, is that a lot of foods with added sugar and saturated fat have gone way up, including a lot of restaurant and processed foods. WW is encouraging members to eat more protein (points for lean proteins have gone down), more veggies and fruit, and good carbs.

I agree with the above poster - one thing I can't stand about WW is that, while they push "clean eating" (which I tend to follow for most meals), they also push their crappy bad-for-you smoothie mixes and snacks. It's like which one is it? Should we eat the fat free reddi whip with the sugar free pudding and sprinkles or not!? I think that's why a lot of people are frustrated with it. They push low point low-fat products.

Thinking of maybe joining something like WW but I am wondering exactly what you get for your money.

I have been using a free website that calculates a calorie goal based on age, weight, etc and then tracks calories through the day and week. You can also input exercise which is then subtracted from your daily total. I am wondering what additional you get from WW. Is it just a tracking and goal tool, or is there more? I understand you count points instead of calories. Is there a benefit to that? Can you always find a point equivalent for anything you eat? How does it help you lose weight other than allowing you to keep track of what you eat?

You can choose the Online only membership which gives you access to the app, 24/7 support, and the website. Most people I know just do online. You can also do meetings which I *think* also gives you access to the online stuff. Whatever works for you! I have never done meetings but I know people that do and they enjoy it.

I like counting points instead of calories because it's just easier (to me) and I don't stress about it as much. I like that you get 'Weeklies' in addition to your daily points. So if you're going out for dinner, or having birthday cake, etc., you know you have that extra 'cushion' to enjoy yourself in moderation.

You can usually find a point equivalent for anything you eat. All you need is the nutritional info and you can plug it into the Points calculator on the app. Most restaurant chains are in the database. If you're at a local place with no nutritional info available you can always plug in that item "grilled chicken sandwich" or something like that, and find a similar item. Or you could do it piece meal (bread, chicken, mayo, fries) but I usually add a TBSP of oil because most restaurants cook in oil.

It really helped me with portion control. I liked to plan my days the night before and plug my points in, allowing however many points for a snack that evening, or planning around a special meal like a meal out. I learned a lot from it! Fruits and veggies are "Free" so it taught me to take advantage of that and eat tons of veggies.

I have been a lifetime member for 3 1/2 years now having reached my weight loss goal of losing 115 lbs. In many ways I do like the new system that WW is implementing. While I was losing my weight I rarely snacked on their sweets, smoothies and snacks. I used my points on lean proteins, plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, and avoided fried foods, most processed foods and flour products other than 100% whole wheat. This new system is something that I was already doing and don't find it being a difficult transition or change for me.

The complaints I am hearing in the meetings are coming from many who have liked to indulge in their daily smoothie or WW packaged snacks or ice cream bars and etc... Occasionally, sure; but not something that should be in ones diet on a regular bases. Many items that were lower in points such as the smoothies, many cereals, sweets and etc. have jumped up in points and in some cases big time.

I like the new plan. I think it's an excellent foundation along with portion control and daily exercise for ones transformation. WW changed my life, gave me a different perspective of how I looked at myself and helped to change me into a much healthier person. My new way of eating is not a hindrance at all. Sure, I indulge once in awhile (I like the occasional dessert), but the key to that word is, "once in a while."

Reactions: Kae
Thinking of maybe joining something like WW but I am wondering exactly what you get for your money.

I have been using a free website that calculates a calorie goal based on age, weight, etc and then tracks calories through the day and week. You can also input exercise which is then subtracted from your daily total. I am wondering what additional you get from WW. Is it just a tracking and goal tool, or is there more? I understand you count points instead of calories. Is there a benefit to that? Can you always find a point equivalent for anything you eat? How does it help you lose weight other than allowing you to keep track of what you eat?

I used MFP for over a year. I stayed within calories most of the time but I didn't pay attention to the types of foods I was eating. I have issues losing weight anyway, but I think that's part of what wasn't working for me. I decided to give WW a try because the way the points are designed it encourages low sugar, low fat, and lean protein. I have a terrible sweet tooth so maybe this will break me of it :)

To be honest, I don't find it any easier to track points with WW than it was to track calories with MFP.

I'm online only and I'm finding the message boards glitchy. One day they're there on my link, the next day I have to find them a round about way. They also aren't as active as I'd hoped compared to other places I frequent. I will say the 24/7 chat support has been good - I've used it a couple times.

To be fair, I've only been on WW for 4 days now.

I have been on and off WW for many years. I joined about a year ago and bought all the materials,books and cookbooks. I enjoyed the plan but lost motivation very quickly. The other fact is that I hate to exercise. I am going to get my stuff out again and will be using the old system. I know things always need to change to make life exciting etc,but when you already have invested a lot of money I think it stinks.

I have HUGE negative issues with WW. That probably are not valid today - but I still have psychological issues associated with WW.

My first experience with WW was almost 50 years ago. OMG - the rules were so restrictive. Even carrots were virtually forbidden. One had to eat liver at least once a week and there were other extremely restrictive requirements.

The next time I tried WW the leader told me that I should lose at least 8 lbs the first week or I was a failure. I only lost 2-3 lbs. When I was chastised for this I immediately went out and ate real food.

What I received was a message that I was worthless and a failure. I HATED WW with a passion. Plus the weight restrictions originally were absurd. When I wore a size 6 I was told that I still needed to lose another 35 lbs. Sorry - but that is ridiculous and bordering on encouraging anorexia.

I have HUGE negative issues with WW. That probably are not valid today - but I still have psychological issues associated with WW.

My first experience with WW was almost 50 years ago. OMG - the rules were so restrictive. Even carrots were virtually forbidden. One had to eat liver at least once a week and there were other extremely restrictive requirements.

HA!! I remember those days because my mother was on it then. She lost about 60 lbs and she's pretty much maintained it forever. I notice that occasionally she will go back to the old style of it. Anyway, I clearly remember the liver once a week. I guess that was to get your iron up! I also remember that she started having a glass of skim milk every night (and she still does). Now that she's in her 70s, though, I noticed that she leans more low-carb. Basically she's given up anything white and that seems to work for her.

I loved the points system it really worked for me but as soon as they went to propoints it stopped working for me. As I only ever used online resources I couldn't stay on points.

The original propoints system allowed me to eat too much and to eat too many carbs for it to work for me. Free fruit was a big problem. i never liked the philosophy that if you wanted a ton of chocolate you just work it in by eating less food. I adapted it and just cut the rubbish out rather than worked it in and found soon i didn't want it anyway.

The new system seems to work for me. My body really needs a low sugar diet and the free fruit seems to be gone.

counting propoints is not just counting calories it is supposed to be more than that balancing protein, carbs, fat and sugar. WW to me allows to many carbs but I adapt it to what works for me and only really use it to control my quantities

I loved the points system it really worked for me but as soon as they went to propoints it stopped working for me. As I only ever used online resources I couldn't stay on points.

The original propoints system allowed me to eat too much and to eat too many carbs for it to work for me. Free fruit was a big problem. i never liked the philosophy that if you wanted a ton of chocolate you just work it in by eating less food. I adapted it and just cut the rubbish out rather than worked it in and found soon i didn't want it anyway.

The new system seems to work for me. My body really needs a low sugar diet and the free fruit seems to be gone.

counting propoints is not just counting calories it is supposed to be more than that balancing protein, carbs, fat and sugar. WW to me allows to many carbs but I adapt it to what works for me and only really use it to control my quantities
Most fresh fruit is still 0 points.

I've researched some more. My calculated allowed points is 22 because I'm female, short old, and have an office job, but then they bump it up to 26 because they say 22 is too low. Then I started researching how many points food is worth, and found that 26 points is almost nothing. This seems much more restrictive than a calorie based diet. How are people not hungry all the time on this diet? I guess that makes you lose weight faster, but then I guess I could just eat nothing and that would get me there even faster.

Do they give you advice on sample menus? Like how to fit three meals a day into 26 points? BTW, I can't eat most fruits due to allergies so the fact that fruit is zero does pretty much nothing for me.

I haven't tried it. I have done at least four itierations of the old systems. The points before points plus, points plus and the eat all you want of limited types of food plans that go along with those. I always lose weight, but I have also always gained it back.

Right now I am doing My Fitness Pal, only I'm trying the paid version, which is cheaper than WW online. It analyzes carbs, protein, fat as well. I also adjust my goals with what works for me. I'm a big girl, so 1200-1400 calories a day isn't going to work for me, initially. I take that back, it would work, but I would be grouchy and hungry.

To answer a question, I think the advantage that WW has with points is that it does at least try to take into account what you are eating by looking at carbs, fat, and protein and not just calories...making say an omelette with veggies not look as appealing as the snickers bars (even though they have the same calories, snickers will have more points). It can also be abused, I mean you shouldn't eat a pound of grapes, but I also shouldn't seriously have to count grapes (who can keep up with that level of OCD for their lifetime?)
I think it can also help people like me who have this mentality of "blowing it." I know I could never stick to Atkins because I would forget to pack my lunch one day, eat the free pizza at work and "blow it" and mess with my ketosis or whatever and then I would just eat everything in sight. WW does have some room for if you forgot to pack your lunch or it's someones birthday.
WW also was revolutionary in advocating different levels of calories for different people and different activity levels--and your body doesn't go into "starvation mode." I did NutriSystem. I did it for a month while training to run a 10K. I called the support line because I needed to know if I could have an extra snack or something on a day I ran 5-6 miles. It took like 30 minutes to determine that I could have an apple. So I was eating 1200 calories and could add an apple for a total of 1280. I was probably burning 500-600 on my run. That was just lousy advice. Of course, I felt like I was starving and gained back the weight SUPER quickly.

However, the calorie counters, I think, can do just about as good of a job and are as "easy."

I've researched some more. My calculated allowed points is 22 because I'm female, short old, and have an office job, but then they bump it up to 26 because they say 22 is too low. Then I started researching how many points food is worth, and found that 26 points is almost nothing. This seems much more restrictive than a calorie based diet. How are people not hungry all the time on this diet? I guess that makes you lose weight faster, but then I guess I could just eat nothing and that would get me there even faster.

Do they give you advice on sample menus? Like how to fit three meals a day into 26 points? BTW, I can't eat most fruits due to allergies so the fact that fruit is zero does pretty much nothing for me.

They usually do provide you with some sample meal plans.
I know most vegetables are 0 points as well. Salads with some lean protein and a little olive oil can keep you satisfied. In the winter, vegetable soup with a little oil and lean protein can be filling and low points

I joined yesterday online so I'm just reading/researching the whole points thing. WW worked for me almost 25 yrs or so ago and it was sooooo easy then. I loved that plan; I wish I had kept my books and material from then. Basically, it was a check off list, like 3 fruits, 2 milks, 6 proteins, 3 veggies, 2 fats and little boxes to check off with each glass of water. I could easily glance at what I had eaten, still needed to eat, etc. This figuring out how many points things are worth is kind of frustrating. With so much planning ahead it feels like my focus is always on food which is the opposite of what I want to be thinking about, lol.

I have a fitbit and always walk 10,000 steps a day. I cannot figure out how that counts into my fitpoints. If anyone has knowledge of the fitpoints, please share. It says I can link my fitbit to my WW app but I can't figure out how.

WW worked for me almost 25 yrs or so ago and it was sooooo easy then. I loved that plan; I wish I had kept my books and material from then. Basically, it was a check off list, like 3 fruits, 2 milks, 6 proteins, 3 veggies, 2 fats and little boxes to check off with each glass of water. I could easily glance at what I had eaten, still needed to eat, etc. This figuring out how many points things are worth is kind of frustrating. With so much planning ahead it feels like my focus is always on food which is the opposite of what I want to be thinking about, lol.

I, too, was successful on that plan. I lost 25 pounds. Of course, over time I gained it back and then some. Since then, I have joined WW three times. I would weigh, measure and count and the first week I gained 3.5 pounds. Sat in the car and cried my eyes out. I have tried a couple more times and just can't seem to make it work like other people. I was in Barnes & Noble today looking at all the diet books. Honestly, I know how to do it. Lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, less sugar and processed foods and more exercise. Why is it so hard?

I'll be the one different voice. I did weight watchers for 3 months with 0 results. The 0 points stuff was getting me in trouble to be honest. While fruit is great it is also full of natural sugar. I went off everything for a few months and just kind of gave up and said whatever I weight is what I weight it isn't that bad. Then I hit my top number, had a break down, and decided something needed to change. I'm back to MFP. I like it and track everything (yes including how many cups of grapes I ate). Yesterday I went 550 calories over what I should have eaten. I was upset with myself but didn't feel like a failure. It was day 1. Right now for me tracking is the most important and I'm making small changes. I cooked dinner last night. It was relatively healthy until I ate 3 biscuits. In the past few years I would have never stopped and thought about those biscuits and probably would have ate a few more. Last night after I logged 3, I walked away and said tomorrow I will do better. I also have a fitness tracker again. So meeting a steps goal and meeting calorie intake is how I'm going to do this. WW when ever I went over, I felt like I was failing and a big part of that for me was because I paid for it. I do better if I don't feel like a failure if I decide to indulge one day.

I joined yesterday online so I'm just reading/researching the whole points thing. WW worked for me almost 25 yrs or so ago and it was sooooo easy then. I loved that plan; I wish I had kept my books and material from then. Basically, it was a check off list, like 3 fruits, 2 milks, 6 proteins, 3 veggies, 2 fats and little boxes to check off with each glass of water. I could easily glance at what I had eaten, still needed to eat, etc. This figuring out how many points things are worth is kind of frustrating. With so much planning ahead it feels like my focus is always on food which is the opposite of what I want to be thinking about, lol.

I have a fitbit and always walk 10,000 steps a day. I cannot figure out how that counts into my fitpoints. If anyone has knowledge of the fitpoints, please share. It says I can link my fitbit to my WW app but I can't figure out how.

I, too, was successful on that plan. I lost 25 pounds. Of course, over time I gained it back and then some. Since then, I have joined WW three times. I would weigh, measure and count and the first week I gained 3.5 pounds. Sat in the car and cried my eyes out. I have tried a couple more times and just can't seem to make it work like other people. I was in Barnes & Noble today looking at all the diet books. Honestly, I know how to do it. Lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, less sugar and processed foods and more exercise. Why is it so hard?

I am a lifetime member of weight watchers from the early 90s. I loved that program, and lost 55 pounds with it. I have never been too successful with points. I'm using myfitnesspal until I start hearing fabulous reviews about the new WW program.

I still have the books from that system of so many fruits, so many veggies, etc. I, too, liked it a lot and lost weight on it. To me, it's feels very gimmicky, and of course you always have to buy new WW stuff.

I joined back in September and lost 21 pounds. I just had my first gain of a pound and since I joined, we went away for our anniversary to Lancaster and I enjoyed Amish donuts, Thanksgiving, a 4 day trip to Walt Disney World, Christmas and New Years.

The new program just does not fit me or our home. I LOVE my sweets and treats. So much that I would enter my Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich in the morning before anything else, so I could work my points around my treat after dinner. I would eat the same meals as my family, just count my points. I would go out to restaurants and make better choices and I would research before we would go. I feel like this is more of a diet to me. I am told over and over how protein is so low and turkey and chicken are so great. But at 8:00 pm I want my sweet. Not 6 oz. of turkey! :laughing:

I have decided that I am going to continue counting Points Plus and following that program. It was working for me. Having said that, if I could just get back in the swing of things after the holidays, I would be happy. I feel like my body has to fully detox all of the Christmas and New Year cheer that I fully enjoyed!!

Good luck! :goodvibes

The references to the really old weight watchers program reminded me of this website with 1974 weight watchers recipe cards. They're hilarious!

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

I did weight watchers on and off since my first child was born but I haven't done it in years. And by doing weight watchers I should specify that I went to the meetings for support but honestly didn't pay that much attention to the actual program. I could never get the hang of tracking anything, be it calories or points.

I recently lost just over 40 pounds low carbing and not tracking anything, and working out, for my daughter's wedding this past fall. However, since the wedding, I had foot surgery, with another one coming up, so no working out for a while (altho I just ordered an exercise bike which is the first acceptable exercise post-surgery), and doing a lot of snacking while I'm sitting around doing nothing, and without the incentive of the wedding, little by little I'm putting some pounds back on. (And I still had some more to lose in the first place.) Ugh! I really need to be more prepared for the next round. I wish Atkins did meetings like weight watchers. I know there's support online but I like meetings.

Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight. It's definitely frustrating at times. I assume Oprah is going to DO the program??

I joined back in September and lost 21 pounds. I just had my first gain of a pound and since I joined, we went away for our anniversary to Lancaster and I enjoyed Amish donuts, Thanksgiving, a 4 day trip to Walt Disney World, Christmas and New Years.

The new program just does not fit me or our home. I LOVE my sweets and treats. So much that I would enter my Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich in the morning before anything else, so I could work my points around my treat after dinner. I would eat the same meals as my family, just count my points. I would go out to restaurants and make better choices and I would research before we would go. I feel like this is more of a diet to me. I am told over and over how protein is so low and turkey and chicken are so great. But at 8:00 pm I want my sweet. Not 6 oz. of turkey! :laughing:

I have decided that I am going to continue counting Points Plus and following that program. It was working for me. Having said that, if I could just get back in the swing of things after the holidays, I would be happy. I feel like my body has to fully detox all of the Christmas and New Year cheer that I fully enjoyed!!

Good luck! :goodvibes

Have you checked the difference in points for that skinny cow treat? How many points was it before and how many now? I have that points calculator (it looks like a calculator) but I assume the points won't be the same on the new program so I guess it's useless now. I now on the program 3 or so years ago, I was limited to 24 points per day and now my points are 30. I guess that's to try to appease some of the items being higher in points now?

I found a site online that lists restaurant points updated 12/31/15 so it's the new points and my favorite pizza (Ledo pizza, only around Maryland areas) are 6 points per square and they are not big squares at all. I don't know if I could get a pizza and only eat 2 or 3 squares, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter