Anyone try the new Weight Watchers?

mrsstats

<font color=blue>Sure sister's cat is as big as a
What do you think of it? Reading mixed reviews and before I spend the money to join online, just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks.

I'm joining next week. I went and bought a ww calculator and have been getting an idea of how the points work. I love that they take sugar and saturated fat in consideration now. I have followed the old program before and it definitely works. (Unless you stop following like I did). The new points system seems more healthy.

I have a coworker who has been going to weight watchers for a long time. She goes to the meetings and said most people seem to prefer the new program because they are losing weight faster. I think some of that could be that people track a little more closely when there are changes, but some of it might be the new program.

Good luck to both of us!

I just joined the online only yesterday and started following the plan today, so I don't have any comparison. I know on an online group I go to a lot of current members aren't happy with the changes, but the idea that lean protein costs less and sugar and fat cost more kind of helped sell me on the program. I've been counting calories with little results for a while now, so I figured trying a program that pushes me to eat less sugar/fat is probably a good start.

So far today I still have 8 points left after dinner - it seems like more food than I was eating before, especially because most fruits and veggies are free. We'll see how it goes after a week!

I'm a member and haven't started it yet. Monday....

It does seem more difficult, I am a sweets craver and it makes it harder to fit those in. But maybe that's a good thing....

I'm heading to the grocery store tomorrow to stock up on fruits & vegetables. I really want to do this, I have been yo-yoing over the past year but keep going to meetings to prevent getting out of control.

How does it work? I went a looong time ago (old school WW, which worked), and never quite got the hang of the "new" WW when I went back a few years ago. How different is this from the "other" new? What does the calculator do? My DH needs to lose weight too but he wants me to do all the work for him, LOL! Just give him the food and I calculate where he's at. No thanks! Would the calculator work for him? How easy is it?

I've been on it since it switched and at first I didn't like it because they didn't want you to swap activity points so it was really hard to fit in treats sometimes if you start out with a low number of weekly and daily points. But I recommitted yesterday and I see now that they say you can swap out activity points and still lose so I'm more hopeful that it will be a sustainable lifestyle for me.

if you start out with a low number of weekly and daily points.
What do you mean? Don't you have a set amount? I recall it goes by your weight etc...but how would one day have a lower amount of points than another day?

What do you mean? Don't you have a set amount? I recall it goes by your weight etc...but how would one day have a lower amount of points than another day?
I mean I have a low amount of daily points (it's the same every day) because I'm short and only have 25 lbs to lose. I don't think you can get lower for daily points than what I have. And now they customize your weekly points allowance, it's not just 49 points for everyone. I only get 35 weekly points, which isn't a lot of wiggle room when my daily allowance is so low.

You have a set daily number and also weekly extra points. For example, I get 30 daily and an extra 35 weekly. It's up to you if you want to use the extra weekly points, you will lose more quickly if you don't. It's nice if you have something you want to "splurge" on, you can fit it in. I've never been able to stick just to the daily. Even when I'm being good, I usually go 2 or 3 over a day and take from the weekly.

My daughter and I joined in June. We go to the weekly meetings.

She reached her goal in late September (25lbs) and made lifetime in November. She tracks everything on the phone app. Oh, did I mention she has Down syndrome? It is very easy to understand and easy to track.

I have not reached goal yet, but had a bit more to lose and am not as disciplined as my daughter. But I really like the point system. I have done ww before and much prefer this system. I really like how it encourages you to eat healthier by making fruits and most vegetables free.

We both were assigned 26 daily points and I find it reasonable. I usually have enough points to be able to fit in a ww salted caramel ice cream as dessert.

DH and I started the new program today. I did it two years ago on the old points plus system and lost the weight I wanted in 2 months. That time I had 26 daily points and 49 weekly, plus I swapped activity for food. This time I have it set not to swap activity. I'm hoping to lose faster. Also training for a half marathon and hope that will speed things along as well.

I joined two weeks ago and I've lost 3.2 pounds (during the holidays no less, woot!). I love the new attitude toward sugar, which is what I struggle with as I have a massive sweet tooth. Points Plus seemed a step in the right direction, nutritionally, but it allotted way too many points per day to everyone and I never made it far with that. I've been trying to adhere to a minimally-processed/lower carb/minimal added sugars/ lifestyle and Smart Points seem very much designed to support that. Although as always, you can still technically eat anything you want, but you'll probably be thinking extra hard about nabbing that donut for 14 points instead of a full egg breakfast for 6 points. At least, I know I do. :laughing:

Their fitness points system however is a little wonky right now, points accumulate way too quickly if use a FitBit. Which doesn't mess up my intake, as they aren't set for exchange into food points, but I find I need to keep tweaking the goal.

I like it. you won't ever go below 30 points a day....your "extra weekly points" vary by your acitivity level etc. I don't see a HUGE difference between last year and this year's program but they did wise up and sugar really is high in points. Like crazy so....but honestly that was my biggest issue with the old WW you could eat a fair bit of sugar with out many points - like gummy bears or fruit chewy snacks etc. Now these are quite high in points....Carbs are more costly in points as well. All in all not a BIG change but your older material will be outdated. I never have gotten 30 daily points, was like 26 so that is a bump in points for me under the NEW plan and instead of 49 I get 41 "free weekly points"

Thinking of maybe joining something like WW but I am wondering exactly what you get for your money.

I have been using a free website that calculates a calorie goal based on age, weight, etc and then tracks calories through the day and week. You can also input exercise which is then subtracted from your daily total. I am wondering what additional you get from WW. Is it just a tracking and goal tool, or is there more? I understand you count points instead of calories. Is there a benefit to that? Can you always find a point equivalent for anything you eat? How does it help you lose weight other than allowing you to keep track of what you eat?

Thinking of maybe joining something like WW but I am wondering exactly what you get for your money.

I have been using a free website that calculates a calorie goal based on age, weight, etc and then tracks calories through the day and week. You can also input exercise which is then subtracted from your daily total. I am wondering what additional you get from WW. Is it just a tracking and goal tool, or is there more? I understand you count points instead of calories. Is there a benefit to that? Can you always find a point equivalent for anything you eat? How does it help you lose weight other than allowing you to keep track of what you eat?

Take this with a grain of salt because I am not a WW member, but know plenty of people who are and have been reading up on it.

It seems that the "bonus" of joining WW is the support. Whether that be in face-to-face groups or online support, I believe WW has more dedicated support than, say, MyFitnessPal or Sparkpeople (both of which I've done).

Supposedly, using the point systems is easier on the fly than tracking calories. I don't know about that but there are a lot of foods labeled with the Points system and there are several on-line converters so it's easy to quickly calculate what you are eating. Think of points as shorthand for calories.

The new system that just rolled out has changed the way points are calculated. Processed foods and things with a higher sugar content are now assigned higher points values even though, calorically, they have not changed. WW seems to be recognizing that the type of calories you eat seem to matter then just straight calorie counting. From what I can see online, there do seem to be some disgruntled folks over the change as their "guilty pleasure" foods that they were once able to fit in under their daily allowance has not increased in points.

One of the reasons I never did WW is I was not particularly happy with how they evolved into encouraging things like sugar-free jello, fat free whipped topping, etc. (all those empty foods) to fill yourself up. While it did get a person to lose weight, it certainly didn't encourage better eating choices. And while I'm a big fruit lover, fruit was always "free" and I'm not sure I agree with that. I saw someone stall because they were eating a LOT of free bananas. That part has not changed with the new plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter