Anyone not like Poly? Why?

goinback

DIS Veteran
:confused3 Does anyone not like Poly? If so why not? I do not think I have ever heard a negative review of it. I have a couple of specific questions:

1. Does it share buses to MGM & AK w/ GF&CR?

2. Is it tacky? Sometimes the pictures look like something out of "The Brady bunch goes to Hawaii." But I know pics don't often do justice.

3. Do you still get a restful secluded feel even though you can see other resorts?

I am sooooooooooo tempted to change to Poly. Talk me out of it. We are now booked at POR.(which we really do love, but DH wanted something diff)

The Poly is one of most fave resorts! It is gorgeous!! :)

1. You do share a bus with the GF and possibly the Contemporary (?) It seems to always change when we go down there. I don't remember the service being bad though.

2. The decorations are beautiful! I feel like I'm in the South Pacific when we walk through there.

3. You will have a very restful vacation if you decide to stay there. The rooms are big & the scenery is beautiful.

Good luck deciding which one to choose! :wizard:

We love the Poly, but that being said, do we think it's tacky? Sure, but the kitsch factor is what we find so appealing about it. It just takes a different level of appreciation, and this is coming from a family who only stays at Marriott or better when not traveling to WDW. As far as getting a restful sleep, I'd say we get the best sleep at the Poly by far. The larger room isn't nearly as confining as the rooms are at the Mods or even the lesser Deluxes, like the AKL or the WL. You can spread out and just be... And don't get me started on the ease of transportation when staying at a monorail resort!! If there is one downside that I have heard is that some northerners don't like the smell of the lush foliage surrounding the resort. I don't understand why, because all of Florida smells like that.

Please don't let yourself be talked out of switching to the Poly...I guarantee you won't regret it.

Hi,
I know Poly is loads of people's favourite and obviously many, many people have had wonderful holidays there. We haven't stayed there but when we went for breakfast at Ohana's we were amazed at how "tacky" and 70s looking the main lobby was! It looked like where I went to University, which was brand new in 1974!

The view of the MK was stunning though and the food was good. However as we walked down the stairs a pipe obviously burst somewhere and I had horrible water which smelt like really rotten milk drip down on my head and clothes. :scared1: I couldn't get any CM to help, no one was interested. All I wanted to do was have a shower and wash my hair, eventually I had to sit in the lobby, all smelly and feeling sick and really upset, and wait for the duty manager to come and tell me he had not one empty room for me to shower in and that I could however shower at the pool. This was very disappointing after spending a wonderful week at AKL and Portofino.:love:

I can tell you I thought the furniture in the lobby sure looked tacky that day!

I sympathise with the view of people who have been going for years and years and have loads of really happy memories there.. we have a timeshare place like that here in Scotland which we love no matter what anyone says but if you don't have that history it might be less appealing.

I stayed at the Poly for the first time in December with my family. There were things about the resort I liked and things I disliked. The thing that bothered me the most is how far spread out the resort is, but I know many of Disney's resorts are similar. I've been spoiled by staying at the CR in a tower room, close to all the action.

The landscaping is beautiful, the staff is very friendly and the rooms were beautiful. The view from the CR is better, but I liked the view from the Poly. The beach is peaceful and I'm sure in warmer weather it's great to sit out there and watch the fireworks or relax.

I wouldn't tell anyone not to stay there, but I'm going back in September with my 4 yr old niece and gave her the choice of which resort and she picked the CR, which I was glad she chose.

Good luck with whatever you pick! I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)

We LOVE the poly, it is our ultimate favorite. We feel as though we are in the islands when we go there, and have never felt as though it was tacky.

My only wish is that is was more reasonable, we would stay there everytime!

The bamboo trees swaying in the breeze and the torches at night, and then the castle view from the pool. :cloud9:
If you do not like Islands, then definitely pick some where else, otherwise I highly recommend it!!!!

It's the only place we want to stay. we almost always stay at the Poly. This past Christmas we went down and tried something different, we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. It was great for the holidays, but when we went to O'Hana for dinner we felt bad because we weren't staying there. In my opinion it is by far the best hotel on property. the only drawback is the price. But if you can afford it, i say go Ploy all the way.

The ONLY thing I dont like about the Poly is the lack of Hot Tub. I think it should have at least 2.;) :hippie: I love the lobby, the restaurants and the whole island theme.

We thought it was GOOD but not GREAT like the Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge. Why? Little things like the lack of a hottub, there was no fan in the bathroom, it was a hike to get to our room, the fact that O'Hana seems to have slipped, and just an overall feeling that it didn't seem like a $400 a night place.

I think you can do better for a similar amount of $$$.

I for one very much dislike the poly and you would probaly have to hold a gun to my head to stay there again. I stayed in Poly concierge, and had a waterview. The ground for me were much "To close" I like a spread out resort, I felt like way to many people were around at all times.

THEN, being i am 5'9 I had a problem taking a shower, my head was taller then the shower heads, and I had to tip down to wash my hair!

ALSO. yes.....tacky is an understatement for me.........one word comes to mind...ugly. Even the new rooms to me are still tacky.

Pool is still to small, again...I like my space. disliked the giftshop,

There were 2 things I did like........the monorail, andsitting on the beach hammock.......that was it.

I will never stay there again, and after staying at the Epcot resorts, it just will never happen.

oh ya, my allergies.....forget it!:confused3

I for one very much dislike the poly and you would probaly have to hold a gun to my head to stay there again. I stayed in Poly concierge, and had a waterview. The ground for me were much "To close" I like a spread out resort, I felt like way to many people were around at all times.

THEN, being i am 5'9 I had a problem taking a shower, my head was taller then the shower heads, and I had to tip down to wash my hair!

ALSO. yes.....tacky is an understatement for me.........one word comes to mind...ugly. Even the new rooms to me are still tacky.

There were 2 things I did like........the monorail, andsitting on the beach hammock.......that was it.

I will never stay there again, and after staying at the Epcot resorts, it just will never happen.

wow thanks for your honesty!

We really liked the Poly last year. I think the rooms are great.....size and layout. Yes, the bathroom shower is a problem for taller people. The Hawaii building was an amazing location. The concierge staff and lounge were amazing. Easy walk to tranportation and convenient location to the Great Ceremonial House.

The only downside for us was the pool. My older boys thought the pool was too small and very crowded. Also, no hot tub. However, we would absolutely stay there again!

To each his own, and I'm thrilled that there are so many other Disney properties for you to experience. That being said, I'd like to address the shower head situation you experienced. I'm 6'1" and I have no problem with the height of the shower. I'd say if anything there's a pretty good chance that you were checked into a handicapped accessible room, seeing the shower heads are always lower in those rooms for guests in wheelchairs.

My feelings about the Poly are that it's okay, but definitely not one of my favorites.

We stayed there in December and it just didn't feel Christmassy to me. I would probably like it better in the summertime.

The main drawback for us is that it's the only deluxe with no hot tub.

It does have the best view of the MK! We enjoyed sitting in the hammocks on the beach and watching Wishes.

I much prefer the GF or CR!

...oh ya, my allergies.....forget it!:confused3

I'm wondering what month you stayed at the Poly and had allergy trouble?

We stayed there in early March after switching from SSR. One of my sons has allergies and asthma. He was perfectly fine at SSR, but when we switched to the Poly his allergies/asthma acted up. We also noticed that our rental van had pollen on it each day (again, didn't at SSR). Ever since we got back I've wondered if others with allergies experienced flare-ups at the Poly. Also, if others have, is it only during certain times of year or all year...

We absolutely love the Poly. My kids and DH refuse to even contemplate staying elsewhere.

The theming is silly in a wonderfully Disney way. The rooms are large and comfortably sleep all 5 of us. The monorail can't be beat. The dining options are great.

We'll be there in just five weeks and six days! Can't wait!

To reply to the OP, we greatly enjoyed our stay at the Poly, but there were some things we didn't like. The food court area where you order, pick up and pay for your food is so small! We were so surprised at how small it is in there. Even when it wasn't busy it just felt cramped. And when it was busy, it was awful trying to get around people with a tray, etc...

We also felt that the main pool was small. Again, we were surprised at it's size.

However, there were so many great things about the Poly that we WILL stay there again. :)

To each his own, and I'm thrilled that there are so many other Disney properties for you to experience. That being said, I'd like to address the shower head situation you experienced. I'm 6'1" and I have no problem with the height of the shower. I'd say if anything there's a pretty good chance that you were checked into a handicapped accessible room, seeing the shower heads are always lower in those rooms for guests in wheelchairs.

no, I think I know where I was shower wise, I need a tub to I like showers in the morning and a tub at night. and I have stayed in other resorts WHEN I was in a wheelchair,......that said, I really think I know the difference. It was so bad, I had them change me to the BWV one-bedrrom. As for my allergies, the mold was to just die for and I ended up in the ER. I was there (to the OP) in late aug. .....never again!

oh as far as the shower heads, I ave heard PLENTY of complanits over the past 10 yeers here, so it is not just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter