Anyone not like Poly? Why?

We stayed at the Poly in 2003, and were not too impressed. I guess it's largely because the theme is pretty generic for Florida. It's tropical, and tropical hotels in Florida are a dime a dozen.

The first room we were in smelled like cat pee - really bad. :scared1: It was first floor, so it might have been mold. The next room we got was on the 3rd floor in the same building, with a lovely parking lot view and a 2-foot wide balcony.

The CMs weren't friendly at all. The hallways were dark and musty. The bathroom took up way too much of the room. There was just no magic at all for us.:confused3

The best parts were the monorail and Ohana. It just was not worth the price at all.

That being said, I like visiting the Poly and eating at Ohana and Kona Cafe. Just wouldn't want to "live" there. ;)

no, I think I know where I was shower wise, I need a tub to I like showers in the morning and a tub at night. and I have stayed in other resorts WHEN I was in a wheelchair,......that said, I really think I know the difference. It was so bad, I had them change me to the BWV one-bedrrom. As for my allergies, the mold was to just die for and I ended up in the ER. I was there (to the OP) in late aug. .....never again!

oh as far as the shower heads, I ave heard PLENTY of complanits over the past 10 yeers here, so it is not just me.

I have to admit we noticed that our shower head was low too. (I'm 5'8", dh is 5'10".) We were on the 2nd floor of Tokelau. I thought it was kinda funny though. I remember my dh making a comment about the people who existed in WDW in the early days must have been shorter. ;) Actually, now that I'm really thinking about it, it seemed like the shower head was at a normal height in relation to the bathroom floor, but the floor of the shower/tub was unusually "thick" or high...

Re: Allergies, thanks for replying. I'm sorry you ended up in the ER!! :( Maybe it was mold that bothered my son, not pollen. Interesting...

I would note to the original poster that some of the negative postings are made from a period of time BEFORE the PR was remodeled. Also, the theme of the PR is not tacky, it was constructed and designed from authentic Polynesian architecture of the Plynesian Pacific Region. So if you find it "tacky," it means you prefer another culture or theme.

The room size is one of the largest, since the original resorts (CR & PR) were built at a time when businesses were more customer oriented. We have stayed on ground level (Hawaii), multiple vacations, with no mold or mosture issues. PR is all about location, views, restaurants and transportation.

I do recall the shower head being a little lower as I am just over 6' but if this is a major issue I think you will have problems with every resort in the area, since they all have their postiives and negatives.

I

The room size is one of the largest, since the original resorts (CR & PR) were built at a time when businesses were more customer oriented. We
I do recall the shower head being a little lower as I am just over 6' but if this is a major issue I think you will have problems with every resort in the area, since they all have their postiives and negatives.

This is very true....great room size...another positive for ya! (if you see my sig) I have stayed all deluxe with the exception of the CBR....which I LOVED!! and that is a moderate, I thought the Poly would be more themed like that, that is to which I prefer. but not one problem anywhere else with shower heads. I also thought it was because of being built one of the first resorts, and people were shorter then,,I thougvht the samething...lol

This is why disney has so many different themes.....to each his own!! some people really dislike the CBR, I have stayed in the steeplechase suite at the BWI, beautiful.......but I liked the CBR better!!! you just never know!

Add me to the list of those who felt it wasn't worth the money. Tacky.....yes. The pool was too small. If they limited it to Poly guests, it would be okay. But ton of people took the boat over from the MK and jumped right in! Some were "bragging" about staying at other resorts, even admitted it to the bartender, who said nothing! Supposedly it is for Poly guests only, but it is not enforced at all! If you don't get to a hammock early to watch the EWP or Wishes, forget it, as the beach is jammed with non-poly visitors as well. It is just too easy for people to hop off the monorail and enjoy the resort. While this may sound harsh, I had paid a lot of money for peace, quiet, and relaxation, not an extension of the parks! For free, one can enjoy all that the Poly has to offer, restaurants, pool, view! I much prefer WL, but as others have said, to each his own!

Eventually I hope to get around to staying at all the Disney resorts including the Poly. I've visited all of them and I'm not big on the decor at this one.

I've walked around and I understand the whole "Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii" comparison...however, you are in DISNEY....each place is unique and wonderful...it's up to us to discover what works for us.

My feeling is that I won't know, until I stay there.... I say take the chance!

Crazy For The Dis's post about non-resort guests using the Poly pool brought back old memories. I attended college in Winter Park, Florida (about 30 minutes from WDW) in the late 70's and a favorite weekend activity was to drive over to the Poly and use their beach and bar for a day of suntanning!

It took me over a decade to get back to Disney and a while to realize that we'd been at the Polynesian Hotel. Now I'm a cranky middle-aged woman who wouldn't dream of using someone else's resort, but, boy, did we have fun!

Is it tacky? Sometimes the pictures look like something out of "The Brady bunch goes to Hawaii." But I know pics don't often do justice.

OMG! This is EXACTLY how I describe it to people when they ask me why I won't stay there! :rotfl: I always refer to it as the Brady Bunch in Hawaii resort!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I've been to Disney numerous times and we've often visited the Poly esp. since our brick is on the walkway leading up to it, but I just don't like the whole atmosphere/feel of the place :confused3 :confused3 It's too dark for me-I need airy and bright-probably the reason we are partial to the YC/BC-the rooms are very bright :goodvibes

we stayed in the Poly for the first time in Feb.

Loved:
The very large rooms, the daybed was long enough for an adult.
The beach setting with hammocks - great to relax.
The monorail.
Views of MK and fireworks from the beach. :D

Didn't love:
Captain Cooks - too few tables and too may long lines, especially at breakfast time.
The bathroom - big problems with lack of venting.
O'hanas - had a really long wait for breakfast.
The pool - way too small and overcrowded, and no hot tubs. Also no shade for those of us who need it. :(

Our fave resorts are POFQ and the Dolphin, I think the pools at both these resorts are way better than the Poly, especially considering POFQ is a moderate. We also love the views from the Dolphin.

We stayed at the Polynesian twice (about 6 years ago was the most recent time). We LOVED it. No offense to anyone's tastes and styles, but really - all the Disney Resorts seem to be a bit tacky in a good way. They are made to resemble what they stand for. We call them "adorably tacky." The Polynesian plays up on the theme.

The pros: The room size was awesome. The convenience of the monorail was great, plus you can walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center for the direct monorail to Epcot. We had no problem with the food. The main pool was crowded at times, but my husband would walk to the "quiet" pool and enjoy that one. There is nothing at all like the view from the beach - you can sit in the sand and stare at the gorgeous castle. It's romantic and beautiful. It truly is a wonderful resort.

Cons: My husband's biggest complaint was the lack of a hot tub. My biggest complaint is the price. We are now a family of four, and we just cannot swing the money right now. There was a bit of a mold problem going on in our bathroom. We made a phone call, and the shower curtain was changed at the bathroom promptly cleaned.

We've since switched to the Wilderness Lodge. We pay a little less, get a hot tub, and have a great time.

It is really great that there are so many resorts to choose from. Everyone can end up with their favorite, and stay at wonderful places while they are searching for their "home."

:cutie:

We're not much into the Island theme. That's our main reason for not staying there (well, and the COST associated with staying in a place where we're not really big on the theming).

The Poly is my favorite resort NOT to stay at. I love to walk around the resort at night. It is just beautiful. I will say, the location is outstanding.

We did stay there 2 years ago. Everything just seemed OK to me. Room, just OK. CM's were just OK. Pool less than OK. Too many people at the pool and no enough "deck" space. Price less than OK.

We absolutely love the Poly. So much so that it is our first choice. The rooms are absolutely beautiful and the staff is wonderful. We are staying there once again in August!! You deffinately can't beat sitting by the pool, with breezes blowing and watching the fireworks!!

I know alot of you disers just love the poly but to me it's too 70's in the lobby also the pool area has no hot tub here were paying for deluxe right:confused3 . Also another reason is because there are too many people there. Also because of the food just isnt the best. Plus it's spread out i just feel like for the premium price we are paying to stay we should get more immentys and more service and i know many of you love:love: the poly and thats great for you and i hope that stays that way but for me poly isnt so deluxe

1. Too much money.
2. Rooms were shabby. (Ours had a leak.)
3. When ir rains, youy are stuck in your room or else opt to go running
outside in a torrential down pour to get to dinner or anywhere else.
4. Pool bar was hardly ever open.
5. Long wait for monorail.

Hope that helps.

Add me to the list of those who felt it wasn't worth the money. Tacky.....yes. The pool was too small. If they limited it to Poly guests, it would be okay. But ton of people took the boat over from the MK and jumped right in! Some were "bragging" about staying at other resorts, even admitted it to the bartender, who said nothing! Supposedly it is for Poly guests only, but it is not enforced at all! If you don't get to a hammock early to watch the EWP or Wishes, forget it, as the beach is jammed with non-poly visitors as well. It is just too easy for people to hop off the monorail and enjoy the resort. While this may sound harsh, I had paid a lot of money for peace, quiet, and relaxation, not an extension of the parks! For free, one can enjoy all that the Poly has to offer, restaurants, pool, view! I much prefer WL, but as others have said, to each his own!

I don't think the Poly is tacky but I certainly do agree about the pool issues. Guests pay way too much money to have to share everything with non-guests. It would be much less crowded and relaxing to be able to enjoy the beach and the pool without day trippers. I love the Poly but wish it were less crowded with outside guests. I agree WL is quieter and more relaxing but I like being on the monorail with 2 small children.

I keep hearing so many complaints about people sharing all the amenities of this resort that I am paying big bucks for. Didn't Disney put a stop to this over at SAB by getting wrist bands and fencing? Why do you think they don't do it at the Poly which seems so much more accesible b/c of monarail and all??

The Poly really is a wonderful place to stay. I had never really wanted to stay there. My grandparents always stayed at this resort because they loved the landscaping so much. I always thought it was tacky. I had only visited the lobby area and attended a Luau. Then along came a great discount code for concierge during the time we wanted to go to WDW. We made the reservations. I wasn't really excited about it. It turned out to be a great trip. We've stayed there several times since and will be going back in July. The lobby is a bit tacky, but we now love it's tackiness. Once we stepped out of the lobby and onto the grounds, I understood why my grandparents were such Poly fans. In the evenings they light the torches and it's just a beautiful place. You really feel like you are in Hawaii. We really enjoy the hammocks on the beach. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't have a hot tub.

I agree that the Polynesian has a serious problem with nonguests using the pool. It is a great resort with a lovely atmosphere but when we stay there we always feel we are still in the parks.

Too many people using it that don't stay there.

tripplanner said:
.....You really feel like you are in Hawaii. We really enjoy the hammocks on the beach. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't have a hot tub.....

I'm curious...didn't the Poly just have their main pool re-done a couple of years ago? If so, why would they NOT include a hot tub in the plans? That is one complaint that seems consistent in this thread.

Hopefully Disney will listen and get one put in soon. Goodness knows they charge enough at the Poly to more than make up for the cost of adding a hot tub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter