• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone made it through (or not made it through) ROFR recently? - Section V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on a great deal and good luck! I think you should be ok, as me and another poster made it through last week at a very similar deal.

Also I think the DEC use year issue, is only with BLT, not all properties. At AKL DEC is the most common use year, while it is one of the least common use years at BLT. Because of that DEC is not a difficult use year to pass ROFR for AKL. Hope that makes sense :)!

Thank you, that does make me feel better!

Submitted Today 2/25

OKW 100 points February UY - $58/point. 100 banked 2012 points, 100 2013 and all 100 going forward. Buyer pays closing, 2013 MF, and admin fee.

Submitted today 2/25

AKV 160 points December UY - $60/point. 160 banked 2011 points, 160 2012 points and all 160 going forward. Buyer pays closing, 2013 MF, and admin fee.

Been trying to decide on BCV or SS and offered on a SS 300 point Feb with 0 for 2013 and full for 2014. We went up to $53 a point but with seller to pay closing (after reading all the prices of around $50 thought that was fair) but they won't budge below $56 with buyer paying closing. Does anyone think that's a fair price or am I right in thinking its pretty high.
Broker said a fair price is $60-$65 a point. I am a bit unsure who's side (so to speak) the broker is on.

Jobelly said:
Been trying to decide on BCV or SS and offered on a SS 300 point Feb with 0 for 2013 and full for 2014. We went up to $53 a point but with seller to pay closing (after reading all the prices of around $50 thought that was fair) but they won't budge below $56 with buyer paying closing. Does anyone think that's a fair price or am I right in thinking its pretty high.
Broker said a fair price is $60-$65 a point. I am a bit unsure who's side (so to speak) the broker is on.

Considering it has NO current points, I would not go as high as they would like. There are many many SSR contracts out there. If not this one, then another.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

The pricing on this contract does not accurately reflect the fact that it is devoid of 2013 points. If you are not happy with the price, then you shouldn't pay it. There are many more options out there.

As far as the broker, they're not on anyone's side. Timeshare brokers in Florida are transaction brokers, which means that they're beholden to the transaction itself. Their job is to match a qualified buyer with a seller and get the deal done. They're not obligated to talk buyers into paying more or to try to start a bidding war to get the most money for the seller just as they're not obligated to get the seller to lower their price to get a good deal for a buyer. The broker will try to get you and the seller to meet in the middle. Sometimes that involves asking a buyer if they are willing to pay more or asking a seller if they are willing to take less. But their motive is to get the deal done.

As far as the broker saying that a fair price is $60-65 a point, I'm not sure what to make of that because it sounds like that comment is taken a little out of context. Without knowing the conversation that surrounded that statement it's a little hard to have an opinion on it. But what you should do is value contracts based on what you are willing to pay for them. Then find someone who will sell you one at that price. Good luck! :)

Jobelly said:

I also think that is high. I would move on. I am in ROFR on an SSR Feb with no 2013 points but all forward at $48/pt. It's a 115 point contract too...a larger contract I would have gone even less.

thptrek said:
Offer accepted and hopefully head to rofr late this week. 2nd try at getting a contract through.

210 BLT, Feb UY, 399 current pts, 210 coming Feb 14. Buyer paying MF and closing. $90/pt

Ugh, I may have issue with the current points. May have to regroup and start looking again. This is getting old.

Submitted today 2/25

AKV 160 points December UY - $60/point. 160 banked 2011 points, 160 2012 points and all 160 going forward. Buyer pays closing, 2013 MF, and admin fee.

That's a nice AKV contract. Congrats :thumbsup2

Submitted Today 2/25

OKW 100 points February UY - $58/point. 100 banked 2012 points, 100 2013 and all 100 going forward. Buyer pays closing, 2013 MF, and admin fee.

Very nice! I was looking at that one and it was GONE the next day. :rotfl:

Best of luck!

That is not a fair price at all, that broker doesn't know what he is talking about.
SSR has the most number of resale contracts out there so there is a lot of supply for you to pick from.

While costs ($/point, closing and any MF) are one component, the other component is how many points are on a contract. Two contracts with all the same costs but one having 3 years of points and the other having no points are not equal value even though their costs are the same.

I value points that a contract comes with at either $11/point if I plan to rent them out or at their MF if I plan to use them.

Stripped contracts in general always work out to a higher $/point costs when factoring this into account.

A fair price for that contract would be $40-45 point, which would be equivalent to buying a contract for $60/point that had 2 years of point on it and you had to pay the MF.

That is not a fair price at all, that broker doesn't know what he is talking about.
SSR has the most number of resale contracts out there so there is a lot of supply for you to pick from.

While costs ($/point, closing and any MF) are one component, the other component is how many points are on a contract. Two contracts with all the same costs but one having 3 years of points and the other having no points are not equal value even though their costs are the same.

I value points that a contract comes with at either $11/point if I plan to rent them out or at their MF if I plan to use them.

Stripped contracts in general always work out to a higher $/point costs when factoring this into account.

A fair price for that contract would be $40-45 point, which would be equivalent to buying a contract for $60/point that had 2 years of point on it and you had to pay the MF.

:teacher: Doug speaks the truth. Stripped contracts are (or should be) worth a ton less than loaded ones. Your broker is full of nuts. They make their money when a deal closes, and if they know the seller won't budge, they're motivated to get you to budge. Walk away, imho.

Thank you, I'm happier now to stick with it and look for another contract. Even the $53 seems a bit high now.
Understand a bit better about brokers now.

I'm looking at the asking prices on the most popular resale websites, and looking at the negotiated prices at the beginning of this discussion, and they are pretty far apart. Is that typical, or is the market starting to move up?

moreisgood said:
I'm looking at the asking prices on the most popular resale websites, and looking at the negotiated prices at the beginning of this discussion, and they are pretty far apart. Is that typical, or is the market starting to move up?

Just realize only a small percentage of the people purchasing are posting on these boards. Also, some people may feel "embarrassed" to post if they didn't get an awesome deal for whatever reason. So the prices on this site are a bit skewed. It does go to show you that these prices are possible and what does get through ROFR. No matter what you end up at, it's still a lot cheaper than direct!

Both. The market does seem to have firmed over the last year, and Disney is being more aggressive about ROFR'ing the best deals. On the flip side, the people posting here tend to be some of the most knowledgeable and thrifty buyers around, often willing to accept dozens of rejections before finally finding a particularly motivated seller. Consider the prices listed in the first post as the lowest you can realistically expect to achieve, and if you are even close you are doing very well.

puffkin said:
Just realize only a small percentage of the people purchasing are posting on these boards. Also, some people may feel "embarrassed" to post if they didn't get an awesome deal for whatever reason. So the prices on this site are a bit skewed. It does go to show you that these prices are possible and what does get through ROFR. No matter what you end up at, it's still a lot cheaper than direct!

Well said puffkin.
Here is my take...
There are two markets in the dvc world (direct and resale). I think that several buyers in the direct world that are unaware that the resale market exists (and some might change their purchase if they knew all the facts).

Likewise within the resale world there are two markets (those that accept what the broker says the going rate is and those that are aware of threads like this where the aggressive side of the market exists). Once again those that are in the former group knew about the latter might change their buying pattern.

I think many contracts sell at or near the broker price. This is confirmed, IMO, by the fact that some brokers won't entertain some of the low offers made by people on this board.

Just got the word that Disney waived ROFR on the following two smaller OKW contracts:

OKW - 50 pts / Dec UY / $52 / 2012=50, 2013=0, 2014=50
OKW - 50 pts / Dec UY / $52 / 2012=68, 2013=25, 2014=50

Buyer and Seller split closing costs ($213 each) and seller paid maint for the few 2013 pts (same seller). Submitted to Disney on 2/1/13 and got the news today, 2/26/13

75 of the 2013 pts were borrowed, so the 2012 points need to be used by 11/30/13. A bit messy but I can work with it and I am sure this is why I passed ROFR.

Still waiting on a larger OKW contract with a different broker, but should hear today or tomorrow on that one as well. These were add ons that were submitted after the "other" contract...

Jobelly said:
Thank you, I'm happier now to stick with it and look for another contract. Even the $53 seems a bit high now.
Understand a bit better about brokers now.

$53 is an excellent price. Keep offering only what you are willing to pay. eventually you will hit a seller that will agree. Just know that the folks that post here, are but a small sample. And it can be self selecting in that, if folks did not get the absolute best deal possible, they may not report here at all. I take this thread to be lowest prices out there. Not average.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter