Anyone know why they're removing benches?

Any curb high enough to replace a bench would likely be a safety hazard.

Many people can get down to a curb, but once they do just can't get back up again. Even a high curb is not even remotely close to replacing a bench.

Curbs can be really dangerous for a lot of reasons

I have been to Walt Disney World over 70 times in the last decade. I have never had a problem finding a bench to take a rest during a day at the parks. To think that Disney is trying to make you spend more money is ridiculous. Have you seen how much you pay for food and tickets? People will complain about anything.

I often travel with my parents. Mom's got a bad back from 30 years of working as a nurse and sits quite often and Dad's approaching 60. Never had a problem finding a bench or a place to sit. And we're pooh sized-- we only sit on things that were built to be sat on. Plenty available.

Now finding a bench that's not out in the blazing sun on the other hand... ;) -- but hey, that's Florida for you!

I have been to Walt Disney World over 70 times in the last decade. I have never had a problem finding a bench to take a rest during a day at the parks. To think that Disney is trying to make you spend more money is ridiculous. Have you seen how much you pay for food and tickets? People will complain about anything.
I haven't been there that many times, but I have to agree. I've never had a problem finding a seat.

Well, I should say, my family hasn't had a problem. I take my seat with me.

I am another one here defending Disney. We were just there in June and I was about 24 weeks pregnant and found myself needing to sit down a lot, and never had an issue finding a bench or some place cool to sit down.

There were tons of benches outside of Splash Mnt, and I don't have remember benches outside of the Land Pavillion at the top because the whole side down is a bench, it was all scooter parking from what we saw.

It does seem like there are less benches then there used to be. Not sure if they were removed because planters and flat concrete surfaces were actually intended to serve a dual purpose as seating surfaces or if those became seating areas due to a lack of benches because if that's true then it doesn't explain why more benches are going in at Shanghai rather than planters and concrete.

I'd also be surprised if Disney ever passed up on giving guests an opportunity to spend more. There could be some merit to the logic that a guest who wishes to simply sit down should be encouraged to do so where purchases can be easily made. Like food.

Just seems like it would be easy to add some more benches. Like Iger decided was necessary in the newest of parks.

I think it is both--They have replaced the seating with planters. They have removed seating that was too comfortable so that people are less likely to linger for a long time. Kind of like how they took the chairs out of Pecos Bills and replaced them with backless stools. They have seating, but they don't want it to be too comfy.

The Brookfield Zoo replaced their benches because someone got a splinter? :rolleyes:

That's just crazy enough to be true. :rotfl2:
The person who got a splinter ended up in the hospital with a staph infection...it was all over the news. Pam Zeckman, a reporter in Chicago who covers consumer issues, went after them because "allegedly" the zoo would not cover the hospital bills. After the news reports, the old wooden benches disappeared and new trexx-type plastic benches appeared.

OP here. We found plenty of other places to sit in AC, some even had outlets nearby to charge phones. I was specifically wondering about the ones outside the Splash Mountain store. They were around the corner against the wall and not in the way of traffic at all. Also, the ones at the top of the ramps/inside the doors of The Land. They were definitely not in the way of traffic either.

Again, I was just wondering.

Maybe they are introducing the VIP bench... Only $30 per minute. Bargain. The new ones take credit cards.

Or maybe they moved the benches at Epcot to the Imagination Pavilion DVC lounge, so the tired members can sit for awhile.

ETA: nope, just googled it. Those chairs are much too nice for the general public.

A while back,i would have thought this post was crazy and people have too much time on there hands to complain about this. BUT, on our last trip, I became super aware of it. We did a good amount of baby swapping and I was nursing a child. I had to sit on the curb/floor many times . It wasn't that it was crowded and the benches were full, there were no benches!
Specifically...not one dang bench in all of the seas (that I could find!) And I know for a fact there used to be. Do not give me that the removal is a safety issue for egress...there is plenty of room there. I ended up nursing my daughter standing up in the bathroom stall. (yeah I know I could go to the nursing center but that was clear across, park and I was nursing on demand) a nice secluded bench would have been awesome. Other people were looking for benches too and just sitting on the floor right outside the bathroom area. Fail to see how that is safer or preferable to a bench.

Plus sometimes you are just waiting to,meet up with your group...say meeting at 1030 at the land. Not sure if those are gone too...but use to be lots of,benches. It just seems more organized and logical to have people waiting comfortably instead sprawling out on the ground. Just think that is inherently more dangerous to those claiming removal for safety reasons.

A while back,i would have thought this post was crazy and people have too much time on there hands to complain about this. BUT, on our last trip, I became super aware of it. We did a good amount of baby swapping and I was nursing a child. I had to sit on the curb/floor many times . It wasn't that it was crowded and the benches were full, there were no benches!
Specifically...not one dang bench in all of the seas (that I could find!) And I know for a fact there used to be. Do not give me that the removal is a safety issue for egress...there is plenty of room there. I ended up nursing my daughter standing up in the bathroom stall. (yeah I know I could go to the nursing center but that was clear across, park and I was nursing on demand) a nice secluded bench would have been awesome. Other people were looking for benches too and just sitting on the floor right outside the bathroom area. Fail to see how that is safer or preferable to a bench.

Plus sometimes you are just waiting to,meet up with your group...say meeting at 1030 at the land. Not sure if those are gone too...but use to be lots of,benches. It just seems more organized and logical to have people waiting comfortably instead sprawling out on the ground. Just think that is inherently more dangerous to those claiming removal for safety reasons.

I spent a lot of time on the floor at the Seas too! It's very obvious there.

Epcot is spacious. There should be plenty of seating. You have to kill a lot of time there sitting with limited attractions. There is no place to sit and enjoy a coffee either.

We've been going to WDW at least once a year for the past 20 years and I agree with the OP - many benches have been removed in the past few years and have NOT been replaced. And no, a cement planter edge or curb is not a decent substitute for a bonafide bench. I hate the new MK hub area for that reason - no decent place to sit. The benches inside Innoventions are usually empty, but who wants to sit there and look at pretty much nothing while freezing one's butt off from the AC?

There should be benches all over the parks for those who are waiting for people riding rides, those who are running out of steam, those who want to stop & savor the experience of being at WDW, those who need a spot to enjoy their Mickey Bar...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter