Anyone know why they're removing benches?

I'm one of those boomer grandpas taking 11 people in the fall. I'll need some down time in that heat. With no place to sit, papa will get grumpy and this grumpy papa won't be wandering through the stores on the way out or any other time. (I'm cheap anytime but nana... That's a different story.). I'll be headed to the pool! Won't make any extra cash off me! LOL
Dad?? Is that you?? My last trip was an extended family trip of 12 (maybe you forgot one of us) and my boomer dad was the main organizer. This sounds exactly like something he would say!

I've seen a reasonable amount of benches, and those I see are sometimes empty. Some high traffic areas at peak times have people sitting on rocks, the floor etc. (e.g. Rapunzel bathrooms) and cast members have to clear those people sometimes. I've never had the issue of not being able to find a place to sit. And if I wanna sit down, I'll go on a ride, sit and have an ice cream/coffee etc.

I have seen people stand on them and 1 person fell backwards. As a kid I used to stand on one and someone from behind told me off - now it makes sense why.

I have also seen people in quick service places sitting and taking tables when they're not eating, so for me holding a tray and finding a place it's hard at times.

Even if it was an 'evil conspiracy' or something - it's ultimately a corporation and you're in their private property. They can do what they like and I think they are extremely good when it comes to customer service (we all keep going back). I don't think it's evil if they removed them for any reason, it's just what it is. You may disagree and take your money elsewhere of course.

At Disneyland California, there are tons of benches and people literally put blankets all over them to reserve them for the parades. Do you want to see that at WDW too?

My advice for you: go somewhere with AC and you can additionally cool down. Even snooze a little if you want! Carousel of Progress anyone?

It's a trend all over all the parks. I think Dan is right. Disney wants you spending not sitting. It's very sad IMHO
I agree...benches were essential when we last visited WDW with DD and I needed to sit somewhere to feed her (she was an infant at the time). I understand Disney wanting people up and spending, and I don't begrudge them that...they are a business after all :) However that shouldn't mean ignoring the needs of their patrons either.

In what I thought was a huge statement of irony, I read an article where the writer was walking around Shanghai Disneyland with Bob Iger, and they were talking about the lack of benches in the park to which Iger replied (and I'm paraphrasing here b/c I don't have the article in front of me), "We've got to fix that. Come back tomorrow and they'll be a bench there, there, and there."
WHAT???? Unbelievable!!!

There was a story about Hong Kong, I can't find it now....but when they first built it, they didn't put in enough benches. With the one-child policy and grandparents living with their adult children, you end up with quite a few adults tagging along with one kid to go see Disney. And the older folks need somewhere to sit and were very vocal about it and apparently more benches were put in. That story about Iger in Shanghai reminded me of that, maybe it's the same dynamic going on.

Dad?? Is that you?? My last trip was an extended family trip of 12 (maybe you forgot one of us) and my boomer dad was the main organizer. This sounds exactly like something he would say!
I don't think in your dad. But who knows??!!!!
I'm not all that old, 63, but the legs don't work like they used to after spending 42 years jumping in and out of a Brown truck delivering goodies!!! Never had time to rest in those days.

Soon they will install bench corrals where you will need to pay to enter and sit.

One of the things we like to do is to sit and watch the people go by. Usually with a drink or a snack. I don't recall a lack of seating but then we frequent the less travelled corners.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the benches around the hub were taken out, but they were replaced by high curbs that can serve the same purpose as a bench, but for more people.

Any curb high enough to replace a bench would likely be a safety hazard.

Many people can get down to a curb, but once they do just can't get back up again. Even a high curb is not even remotely close to replacing a bench.

1. They took tons of them out at the World Showcase too... .there was plenty of walking space
2. SO??? Oh wait, if the were claiming a bench they weren't spending money.. (Your "Defense" just proves the point LOL!)
3. I don't recall much standing on them at Epcot since there isn't much to see. People stand on fences too, did they take those out?
They also stand on planters which some say are replacing some of the benches.

The only benches I can speak too for a removal reason are the World Showcase benches. They have been removed from around World Showcase for many reasons but the wheelchair viewing ones went away because people were claiming them before the fireworks then arguing and fighting with CMs when asked to move because it was a wheelchair viewing area. It was getting so bad that management at the park decided it was best to remove them.

They also removed them at different times of the year for safety reasons. This is especially true during Food and Wine. They go away during F&W for repairs and painting and then are back after.

We were there in June and didn't have a hard time finding somewhere to sit. There were still the benches on the bridge that you could sit in as long as the rope wasn't up yet. Still benches built into Tomorrowland Bridge as well as all the tables and seats on the Tomorrowland terrace. The seating outside the mister by Space Mountain/Speedway, seats at Rupunzels tower, rocking chairs and planter benches in Frontierland, seating at Aloha Isle in Adventureland.

Animal Kingdom had a massive seating area near the Yak and Yeti snack stand (we grabbed a drink and a snack and sat under the big fans for awhile), the shaded concrete benches outside Dinosaur are still there and we sat under them for a bit as well.

Hollywood studios I can't remember any but we didn't really stop for anything there. I think there were some in launch bay.

1. They took tons of them out at the World Showcase too... .there was plenty of walking space
2. SO??? Oh wait, if the were claiming a bench they weren't spending money.. (Your "Defense" just proves the point LOL!)
3. I don't recall much standing on them at Epcot since there isn't much to see. People stand on fences too, did they take those out?

1-3) I've seen lots of people claiming benches at WS for Illuminations.

2) This is the heart of it. People are in WDW's park, and they want to claim a part of it for their own use and no one else's. There are places that are okay with that, and places that aren't. WDW is one of the places where they aren't. WDW doesn't like people laying claim to any of their real estate, and if you have a nice bench in a shady spot, someone will do just that.

I vaguely remember reading a thread on DIS about the benches at Epcot being a safety hazard. I wouldn't have believed it myself if not for my own experience on 5/10/16. Thankfully, my son caught my experience on video.

X by S B, on Flickr

Last edited:
People are already sitting on the walls and planters when there are no other options. Disney should just build simple benches into the landscaping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter