Anyone know why they're removing benches?

Goofygirl17

DIS Veteran
I've noticed this week that there aren't as many place to sit. I usually sit on log benches outside the Splash Mountain gift shop to wait for my kids and they aren't there anymore. Today I went to sit on the benches at the top of the ramps in The Land and they are also gone. We have also waited out thunder and lightning storms sitting in the back of the arcade at the end of Space Mountain and that area is all closed off now. There were also a couple more places (that I can't remember now) that I was surprised to not find a place to sit.

Anyone know why?

Disney wants you in the shops and restaurants spending your money. :rotfl:
But seriously, I also noticed there were less places to sit. In fact, we just spent a good sum of money to attend the Star Wars dessert party last night at DHS, and we had to eat standing up at tall tables :confused3.
I'm beginning to see a trend here.

That area the benches went away awhile ago, I think it was actually part of the prep work for when they close down BTMRR to redo the exit/queue that was delayed until the end of the year. I think there is still seating near the actual exit of the ride near the restrooms though.

They've actually been adding a lot of new benches lately and they were different so they might just be replacing them in a very slow annoying manor.

We were often looking for places to sit this past week. In some locations that I would hope there was a bunch, there were none. Although, in Hollywood Studios a great place to relax is the the Backlot Express near Indiana Jones. It was a great place to unwind away from the major crowds. Often not crowded and we stopped by there several times. Another great place was across from Pirates of the Carribean in Adventureland in Magic Kingdom. There was an open A/C sit-down area that was never crowded the two times we stopped there to relax. It was kind of tucked away.

Disney wants you in the shops and restaurants spending your money. :rotfl:
But seriously, I also noticed there were less places to sit. In fact, we just spent a good sum of money to attend the Star Wars dessert party last night at DHS, and we had to eat standing up at tall tables :confused3.
I'm beginning to see a trend here.

Same thing at food and wine. Especially on the Canada - Mexico stretch.

On my recent survey from my Six Flags AP, they were asking if there was enough benches and seating. I gave them a high rating, plenty of places to rest.

Here I come to defend them again:

1)Benches take up walking spaces, and in a lot of areas where there used to be benches, they need the space for foot traffic.

2) People have tended, from time to time, to lay claim to benches for long periods of time during the day.

3) in some cases, people have been known to stand on them to get better views of whatever.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the benches around the hub were taken out, but they were replaced by high curbs that can serve the same purpose as a bench, but for more people.

While it's a fun thing to say, I seriously doubt they took out benches to get people standing in order to get them to buy stuff. Like everything at WDW, it's more a function of bigger crowds than anything nefarious.

I hope they continue to replace the benches. I don't know about anyone else, but this old gal lasts longer if I get to sit for a while. If I last there is a better chance I will spend money. If I am over the walking, I get the heck out of Dodge and go back to the resort.

I know that we kid about Disney wanting people moving instead of sitting, but I honestly believe that people tend to stay longer if they can break in between. I know that I enjoy just sitting a bit with a snack or a cold drink while my family shops or goes on another attraction.

What Disney is doing is unintentionally (I hope) increasing the number of scooters. A lot of boomers can't stand all day so they will have to rent a scooter. I had decided to forego a scooter this year myself, but now probably have to get one.

Same thing at food and wine. Especially on the Canada - Mexico stretch.

On my recent survey from my Six Flags AP, they were asking if there was enough benches and seating. I gave them a high rating, plenty of places to rest.

For F&W last year, they offered areas with tables and I think there was seating, but you had to pay. The price got your food delivered to your table. @Missyrose did this.

For F&W last year, they offered areas with tables and I think there was seating, but you had to pay. The price got your food delivered to your table. @Missyrose did this.
The premium package had reserved seating areas for F&W last year. But appears to have discontinued it this year, so those seating areas might be up for grabs for everyone now!

Here I come to defend them again:

1)Benches take up walking spaces, and in a lot of areas where there used to be benches, they need the space for foot traffic.

2) People have tended, from time to time, to lay claim to benches for long periods of time during the day.

3) in some cases, people have been known to stand on them to get better views of whatever.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the benches around the hub were taken out, but they were replaced by high curbs that can serve the same purpose as a bench, but for more people.

While it's a fun thing to say, I seriously doubt they took out benches to get people standing in order to get them to buy stuff. Like everything at WDW, it's more a function of bigger crowds than anything nefarious.

Maybe I'm wrong and too trusting of Disney, but if they are removing some benches, I think it's more for reasons listed above than it is a conspiracy to try to get you to spend more money. I could argue it would have the opposite effect and make people spend less. If there is nowhere to sit, you get tired more quickly. Therefore, you leave the park sooner and probably spend less money. I don't know, but logic would tell me that the longer you're in a park, the more money you spend. So it would benefit Disney to have more benches. And for the record, though I haven't noticed a lack of benches, for the few times that we choose to use them, I appreciate them being there.

I'm one of those boomer grandpas taking 11 people in the fall. I'll need some down time in that heat. With no place to sit, papa will get grumpy and this grumpy papa won't be wandering through the stores on the way out or any other time. (I'm cheap anytime but nana... That's a different story.). I'll be headed to the pool! Won't make any extra cash off me! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter