Anyone else sick of Star Wars?

My best friend's son (basically like my nephew) is 5 and recently obsessed with SW.... The thing is, he's never seen a SW single movie and when his grandfather tries to get him to watch it, he doesn't enjoy it, so they just fast forward to the big action scenes.
How can a child love something they've never seen?

How can a child love something they've never seen?
Thank the marketing wizards for that. Toys, store displays, commercials, clothing, etc. Heck, look at Disney. They start selling merchandise several months before a movie comes out. I can't imagine buying merchandise before seeing the movie but apparently that's what people do. By the time the movie actually premiers, there is a guaranteed audience already invested in its success.

Nope. I can understand being sick of all of the hype if you are not a Star Wars fan. But I am a big Star Wars fan. And my 2 boys are big Star Wars fans. So we are all eating this stuff up. Hoping this film is epic....Help us JJ Abrams, you're our only hope! Lol

Anyone? Or is it just me?
Not reading the whole thread, but can I have a Mod shut the OP down for having such an inflammatory starting topic. REALLY anyone not like it??

Just kidding no flames please, everyone, including the OP is entitled to their opinion even when the OP is wrong.:scared:

Thank the marketing wizards for that. Toys, store displays, commercials, clothing, etc. Heck, look at Disney. They start selling merchandise several months before a movie comes out. I can't imagine buying merchandise before seeing the movie but apparently that's what people do. By the time the movie actually premiers, there is a guaranteed audience already invested in its success.
I guess I understand the literal "how?" But logically, how can he like something he's only seen Merch for?
For his birthday (October 22nd) I bought him a Star Wars tee and hat (the clothing company I work for does Disney licensed clothing) and when I babysat him on Saturday night, I asked him if he knew who got him the hat and he said "you did Aunty Jes, because you know how much I love Star Wars"
He's got infinity characters, clothing, toys, books! It's insane!
However, I'm feeding the beast... Bought him a lunch bag (he starts school in January!!) a drink bottle (also from work) power discs for infinity and a sticker book...

But logically, how can he like something he's only seen Merch for?
He can find the merchandise, graphics, toys, etc. appealing without knowing anything about the movies. I've known people to buy licensed character items because they thought they were cute even though they had no idea what the character was from. Imagine someone who has never seen Frozen (if such a person exists) walking into a store, seeing an Olaf doll, and buying it because it was cute and they love snowmen.
(the clothing company I work for does Disney licensed clothing)
Really now? Hmm. Maybe I can swap some USA cosmetics for some Australian Disney licensed clothing. :)

I also enjoy star wars but am not a fanboy. It's not really star wars per say, it's like another diser said, buying it doesnt make it disney and therefore it doesn't feel like disney, so I'm sick.of hearing about it.

He can find the merchandise, graphics, toys, etc. appealing without knowing anything about the movies. I've known people to buy licensed character items because they thought they were cute even though they had no idea what the character was from. Imagine someone who has never seen Frozen (if such a person exists) walking into a store, seeing an Olaf doll, and buying it because it was cute and they love snowmen.

Really now? Hmm. Maybe I can swap some USA cosmetics for some Australian Disney licensed clothing. :)
Yeah but a 5 year old thinking darth Vader is cute?

Haha, just jump online and see if there's anything you like?
You can probably get it better priced than I can with the Black Friday sales!!
www dot cottonon dot com
ETA: there isn't always much adult sized stuff, but cotton on kids has heaps of SW stuff atm

I'm just watching some Sunday night TV and there was a Gillette ad for a Star Wars razor stand...
Really? Really?!?!

Nope. Not a lot going on here in the UK to over hype it- can't wait it opens. This is the film I've wanted to exist since I was 10!

I'm just watching some Sunday night TV and there was a Gillette ad for a Star Wars razor stand...
Really? Really?!?!
And I saw one several weeks ago for Star Wars shower heads and tooth brushes. So many rude comments going through my head, but I'll try to remember that I'm a stockholder, and this is all making me money - at least that's what everybody keeps telling me. Never been one to let money make me happy or sell my soul, but maybe I'll have to try?

Really? Really?!?!

And I saw one several weeks ago for Star Wars shower heads and tooth brushes.
Sorry but have you not noticed the zillions of consumer products sold with Disney characters on them?

I'm a big Disney collector. We have one entire room (the largest room in the house) that is nothing but display cases of our collection. Throughout the house, you will find lots of other Disney stuff as well. So I'd be the last one to criticize Disney for marketing Star Wars with stuff like toothbrushes and razor stands.

What does annoy me, and I complained about the same thing after Frozen came out, is how they are taking over shops in Disney World. A couple of years ago, we headed into shops that we always liked to find that they had been totally converted to Frozen merchandise. The same thing is happening today with Star Wars. I just saw this morning that one whole section of MouseGears in Epcot is now all Star Wars stuff. That's where I think they go a little overboard.

Sorry but have you not noticed the zillions of consumer products sold with Disney characters on them?

I'm a big Disney collector. We have one entire room (the largest room in the house) that is nothing but display cases of our collection. Throughout the house, you will find lots of other Disney stuff as well. So I'd be the last one to criticize Disney for marketing Star Wars with stuff like toothbrushes and razor stands.

What does annoy me, and I complained about the same thing after Frozen came out, is how they are taking over shops in Disney World. A couple of years ago, we headed into shops that we always liked to find that they had been totally converted to Frozen merchandise. The same thing is happening today with Star Wars. I just saw this morning that one whole section of MouseGears in Epcot is now all Star Wars stuff. That's where I think they go a little overboard.
Nah I get it, I see children's Disney toothbrushes and even hair brushes all the time, and I know Star Wars has a larger adult an base because it was originally released in the 70's and 80's, and even the prequels were around long enough ago that their fans would probably be adults by now, I just thought it was such an odd and obscure thing to be Disney-fied

Nah I get it, I see children's Disney toothbrushes and even hair brushes all the time, and I know Star Wars has a larger adult an base because it was originally released in the 70's and 80's, and even the prequels were around long enough ago that their fans would probably be adults by now, I just thought it was such an odd and obscure thing to be Disney-fied
Got to agree with both you AND Steve, Jes, if that makes any sense. Like I said, I'm trying to balance my dislike of the situation with telling myself "of course they have the right to make money any way they can" (I know that's sound thinking fiscally, I GET it) and the thought that it's making me money (as a stockholder - although I did not buy with the intentions of an investment, and still have no intentions of selling - I bought because of a belief in, and love for, a company, and "way of being", and way it made me and others feel, that I love(d)/respect(ed)/admire(d) - it's exactly the same way I feel about all the changes and what, only IMHO, is "milking everything to death" in the parks, in general that's what I've been seeing/feeling the last few years that I've posted about here many times before. So my original reasons for buying stock (love, respect, etc. that I mentioned) have gotten less, and my sentiments have been downgraded over the years, since it no longer makes those same feelings exist in the same way/amount in ME - just ME - over the years.

Soapbox off. :tiptoe:

Last edited:
If one more person compares Star Wars to frozen, ima burn this place to the ground!

You can never have too much Star Wars. Also this is much less than what we got in 1999 with The Phantom Menace. Much more product placement back then

You need to remember that there have been Star Wars kids Tv shows for the past 8 years with clone wars and rebels. Star Wars is still heavily marketed towards kids in certain ways.

You need to remember that there have been Star Wars kids Tv shows for the past 8 years with clone wars and rebels. Star Wars is still heavily marketed towards kids in certain ways.
Yeah and like I said, I get that kids just fall for the marketing and I know of the cartoons, but that doesn't stop me from being baffled that a 5 year old loves one of the, what? Top 2-3 movie franchises in history, but doesn't even know or has seen what started it all in the first place.
Maybe I'm not so much baffled as I am disappointed? I've not seen them, but I also don't have a love for it. I think I want him to understand the originals rather than being brainwashed by the marketing and spin offs.

Yeah and like I said, I get that kids just fall for the marketing and I know of the cartoons, but that doesn't stop me from being baffled that a 5 year old loves one of the, what? Top 2-3 movie franchises in history, but doesn't even know or has seen what started it all in the first place.
I didn't even think about the animated series. Then there's also the video games. So even if he's never seen the original films, that doesn't mean he hasn't been exposed to the franchise in some way.

Zero interest in "Star Wars". I saw the first movie months after it was released and it bored me to tears. Never watched the other movies.
Not a sci-fi fan at all. I'd go on the "Star Wars" attractions, but not spend much time in the new section. I'm very interested in the new Toy Story Land. Disappointed that the "Magic Of Disney Animation" was removed for "Star Wars".

Not sick of Star Wars. Just signed up for the exclusive DIS screening of The Force Awakens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter