Anyone else disklike David Letterman?

I really love Letterman, but I also really like Kimmel and Conan. I will never, ever watch Jay Leno.

Neither will I. Pure slimeball and such low-brow humor on that show. Letterman is hit or miss lately. But, Conan is the man! I watch him regularly.

That's ridiculous. Bad behavior isn't excusable simply because you admit to it.

That's like saying "I kicked my dog but you can't get mad at me because I've always said I don't like animals!"

Letterman's a jerk. I very strongly dislike him.

Actually,there is a difference. His wife had a choice as to whether to marry him or not, knowing who and what he is, knowing that he has always exhibited bad behavior. It was an informed decision. It is your opinion that infidelity is "bad behavior" but is it really bad behavior if the other person in the relationship knows it will happen and chooses to accept that as part of life with the person?

I think cheating becomes bad behavior when the cheater misrepresents him or herself as being faithful and dedicated to their partner.

I have the expectation that my DH will not cheat because that is the nature of our relationship....one of our relationship rules, so to speak. If he does cheat, then it is bad behavior. But if I knew goingin that he wouldn't be faithful, and then he was unfaithful, then is it really bad behavior or is it expected behavior about which I was warned and chose to accept?

Kicking a dog is different because the dog probably didn't have a choice as to whether or not to be in the situation.

It's not quite that he didn't get a show he wanted, and he's not the one who was a jerk about it first. That'd be the backstabbing, closet-hiding Leno.

Yes, post-Hugh Grant, Leno was No. 1 in the ratings. America also enjoys Olive Garden, 'cheeze' in a can and Twilight novels. :confused3

Hey! Don't be knocking cheez in a can!!!! My dog and I used to snack on it all the time. He even knew which cabinet it was in!!!!;)

I like David Letterman and love Jimmy Fallon! I also loooove Conan O'Brien but if it wasnt for the DVR I would never get to see them. ;)

No, he's the funniest man on television, not to mention the best political interviewer.

I saw the Williams interview, but I don't know what you found offensive?

Also, Leno is a desperately unfunny, backstabbing tool and that Conan interview was *hilarious*. The whole conceit of it was that the gag order had run out.

:thumbsup2

Completely disagree with this statement. I think he's a biased hack, so to each his own.
The thing that makes Letterman an exceptional political reporter is that he doesn't accept a talking point as an answer to an unrelated question.

Actually,there is a difference. His wife had a choice as to whether to marry him or not, knowing who and what he is, knowing that he has always exhibited bad behavior. It was an informed decision. It is your opinion that infidelity is "bad behavior" but is it really bad behavior if the other person in the relationship knows it will happen and chooses to accept that as part of life with the person?

I think cheating becomes bad behavior when the cheater misrepresents him or herself as being faithful and dedicated to their partner.

I have the expectation that my DH will not cheat because that is the nature of our relationship....one of our relationship rules, so to speak. If he does cheat, then it is bad behavior. But if I knew goingin that he wouldn't be faithful, and then he was unfaithful, then is it really bad behavior or is it expected behavior about which I was warned and chose to accept?

I think you're suggesting situational ethics while others are suggesting that there are "good" ethics and "bad" ethics regardless of the situation.

While I don't have any interest in an open marriage for myself, if that is what Letterman has, why didn't he just say so? (Or did he say so and I missed it?)

Way to show YOUR restraint and class in not inserting your assumed judgement of people and their political preferences. As a person who does not take ones opinion based on their ideals in the voting booth, I am perfectly capable of enjoying someone for their talent and humor. I have been watching him since I was a teen and he was on NBC. If I didn't care for someone because of their political leanings, I would have a short list of people that I could watch. Stay classy!

:thumbsup2

I like Letterman and always have. I think that he and Ferguson are both great.

I couldn't care less about his private life.

I love Letterman. I think his show is a zillion times funnier and more interesting than Leno. While his style may be a little acerbic, I find his humor to be intelligent. Leno is just corny.

I also really like Jimmy Fallon. It is a shame that he doesn't have Leno's time slot.

I record Jimmy Fallon and watch the episodes that catch my eye. I also like to listen to his monologue and see what game he might be playing, that man just cracks me up!

I think you're suggesting situational ethics while others are suggesting that there are "good" ethics and "bad" ethics regardless of the situation.

While I don't have any interest in an open marriage for myself, if that is what Letterman has, why didn't he just say so? (Or did he say so and I missed it?)
Well, he didnt say it to me personally, ;) but he may have said it to his wife for all we know.....

Because in a million years, he would never discuss that level of personal detail about their relationship on television. I suspect if he had come close, they'd have found his body floating in his own pond with a homemade shiv in him. That would just beyond never happen.

The point the poster was making was that we don't know the details or agreements of their relationship. We do know he's a philanderer and has been basically his entire adult life, because that, he has discussed. It's also been disclosed by other people who have reason to know.

Hence, given they were together for decades, and she's no dummy, people suspect that it's entirely possible they had some agreement or what have you. He violated something, as he apologized to her publically. What that was, is between them. They're still together, whose business is it to decide what his behaviour was? Theirs/hers. Everyone involved was an adult.

The thing that makes Letterman an exceptional political reporter is that he doesn't accept a talking point as an answer to an unrelated question.

I cannot believe who I'm agreeing with, heh, but this. When I said he was the best political interviewer on television, I didn't mean it having anything to do with his personal politics.

I meant it because he's highly intelligent, extremely well informed and like a dog after a bone when someone, anyone, he has on in that capacity, tries to evade an answer he's interested in.

He doesn't care about whether he comes off as pushy or rude, he keeps asking and digging and won't let people skate. People of either party, in any situation. I've seen him do it to sitting presidents, generals, candidates, senators, etc.

Unlike most political show interviewers, he doesn't let go. He wants an answer, he does because he does, not because it's on the card he should, and he doesn't let people talk to him like he's an idiot and give a talking point.

Used to like Leno, don't anymore.
Used to like at Letterman, don't anymore but given a choice of him or Leno, Letterman would win. When you go to bed at 7 pm, Jeopardy is late night TV.

Aren't all ethics situational?

I cannot believe who I'm agreeing with, heh, but this. When I said he was the best political interviewer on television, I didn't mean it having anything to do with his personal politics.

I meant it because he's highly intelligent, extremely well informed and like a dog after a bone when someone, anyone, he has on in that capacity, tries to evade an answer he's interested in.

He doesn't care about whether he comes off as pushy or rude, he keeps asking and digging and won't let people skate. People of either party, in any situation. I've seen him do it to sitting presidents, generals, candidates, senators, etc.

Unlike most political show interviewers, he doesn't let go. He wants an answer, he does because he does, not because it's on the card he should, and he doesn't let people talk to him like he's an idiot and give a talking point.

Oh yes. He is an exceptional political interviewer. I especially love the way he can go on and on, bashing Republicans and conservatives ad nauseum, and then turn around and fawn all over whatever liberal person he has on his show, extolling their liberal beliefs. It is so wonderful.

Way to show YOUR restraint and class in not inserting your assumed judgement of people and their political preferences.

"Assumed?" "Judgment?" Oh, please....one has to be deaf, dumb and blind to not know what Letterman's political biases are.

Or in very, very deep denial.

And by the way, for everyone else here who is less than thrilled with Dave, be of good cheer. The ratings for the Hate Show (oops, I mean Late Show) are down; since last year "Dave" has lost 15% of his viewers. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!