Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

I will be majorly bummed. We wanted to do one last trip with our son while he was still barely under 3, and before his sibling arrives and we have been excited about this since March. It was going to be our first free dining trip!! All of those character meals I worked so hard to reserve! Normally, I would just be like, no big deal, we'll go next year...but I am NOT taking a 1 year old and a 4 year old. LOL. It will be years before we go again...at least we'll have plenty of tickets.

I am still a tad hopeful that they can contain these outbreaks and that the mosquito control in Disney is good - Disney will likely lose a lot of reservations if this is true. My friend was planning on going the same weekend I was planning, but she and her husband are trying to conceive, so if the warnings extend, she's cancelling as well. But despite anything Disney does in their "bubble" it's still the real world, if the CDC and my doctor say don't go, I'm not going to go.

Congress didn't fund anything for Zika control measures before they went on summer break, the states have to contain it using their own funds.

Congress didn't fund anything for Zika control measures before they went on summer break, the states have to contain it using their own funds.

I know. It's ridiculous. I'm a teacher and I feel like that would be like not doing my grades and report cards before summer break. I could probably be fired for that...ha.

Here is one thing I am concerned about...I have a free dining package booked for late September. Let's say I'm past my cancellation date for packages (30 days I think) and the CDC officially issues a travel advisory for pregnant women and central Florida. Do you think Disney will let me cancel with no penalty? it's kind of unchartered territory so it's not like anyone knows for sure, but any guesses?
Read your terms. There is no penalty for canceling more than 31 days out. Under that, the penalty is $200 as long as you call at least two days out.

Disney has long made allowances for hurricanes. So while this isn't weather, I suspect they will offer a similar policy for this situation, especially if you only request to change the dates of your trip to alater date vs. full cancel.)

They also usually make allowances for anyone who needs to change travel dates, subject to a $50 change fee and a $15 processing fee. Though September is usually one of the least expensive travel seasons. Other times of year cost more.

You airfare may be a completely different matter! airlines may not be so kind.

According to multiple media sources, the Florida governor announced today that Zika was found to be transmitted locally in Miami, probably from the same species of mosquitoes that transmit the virus in South America. I guess it's just a matter of time before it reaches Orlando?!?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-zika-florida-idUSKCN1091NZ

Will you change anything to your plans of visiting WDW and FL? My family is finished so we probably won't change our plans to visit FL annually but I know some friends and colleagues that are postponing WDW planned in the next year. I wonder if this news will have an impact on WDW attendance? I wouldn't mind a lower crowd in MK next March...

What are they saying the risk is for those who are not pregnant, but thinking about it in the coming years?

What are they saying the risk is for those who are not pregnant, but thinking about it in the coming years?
The research that has been completed shows that the virus and its effects are not long-lasting in the person who is the actual Zika carrier. There's still ongoing research, but, if you have no plans to attempt to become pregnant in the near future, there haven't been any health/travel advisories for a person in your situation.

The main thing to be concerned about is possibly becoming an unknowing "carrier" - not everyone shows effects of the Zika virus. It would be best to follow all guidelines and check the latest research while planning future trips.

Much of what I've read on Internet forums has been the hysterical overreaction of the ill informed. Currently there are no mosquitoes in Florida that are carrying Zika. So, currently there is no reason to worry. If and when they are confirmed, I'll add a bottle of mosquito repellant to my suitcase.

Well this has now changed hasn't it. Zika mosuitoes are moving north more quickly than anyone thought

I have not read this entire thread so forgive me in advance if this has been posted.
I am a local, live about 20 minutes from WDW and I have noticed spray trucks driving around late at night in different locations around the area in the past 4 weeks

I have not read this entire thread so forgive me in advance if this has been posted.
I am a local, live about 20 minutes from WDW and I have noticed spray trucks driving around late at night in different locations around the area in the past 4 weeks
Thanks for the info! It's good to know they are controlling the mosquito population - less likely for a Zika-carrying person to be bitten by a mosquito that then becomes a carrier.

Well this has now changed hasn't it. Zika mosuitoes are moving north more quickly than anyone thought
It isn't that mosquitoes have moved into Florida, a "Zika carrier/person" has been in Florida and has been bitten by a mosquito thus spreading the virus.

I work in the public health field and do not want to judge but why would any woman who is pregnant risk going to WDW when there are confirmed cases of humans with the zika virus? I know you can take precautions but is it worth the risk of your baby being born with horrific disabilities so you can go to WDW? Yes, Disney does a good job with mosquitos but there is still a chance. This isn't a little virus that will go away in your babies, it's a lifelong debilitating disability.

Last edited:
The official advice in the UK now is not to travel to Florida if you're pregnant. No way I'd risk it, just not worth it.

By the way, not sure "Theme Park Attractions and Strategies" is the appropriate place to discuss this?

We cancelled a few weeks ago based on an (unwanted) dr. recommendation. However, we had said that the second it touches down in Florida we would cancel, so I guess I can't be too upset that we already cancelled. At this point, we would have cancelled if we didn't already. The thing is, there are so many visitors to DW from places that DO carry zika - it makes it a greater risk. I can definitely understand that, and that was my original dr.'s point, coupled with the reports he was getting that it's going to touch down in FL by this summer, which I guess it now did. A lot of times the cases don't have any actual symptoms, so I can also see it being other places and no just no one has picked up on it yet. I think people saying they never get bit in Disney and that it's fine is a little crazy. Maybe you don't get bit, but that doesn't mean other people don't/won't. I've gotten bitten in Disney MANY times, and multiple times in one trip. It only takes one bite. And if you're pregnant, that's SUCH a huge risk. There are enough risks in life, with pregnancy and in general, why play with fire on something that could've easily been avoided?

You made a smart move and it is better to be safe then sorry. Can you imagine if you did get bit by a mosquito, even if it wasn't carrying the virus, I am sure you would be worried sick about it as you had to wait weeks to even know if the mosquito was carrying the virus. Having a healthy baby is what is most important, Disney will be there when you are ready to go. We took my son when he was 10 months old and it was one of the best vacations. We have so many pictures of him smiling at the characters. Good luck with your new baby.

I work in the public health field and do not want to judge but why would any woman who is pregnant risk going to WDW when there are confirmed cases of humans with the zika virus? I know you can take precautions but is it worth the risk of your baby being born with horrific disabilities so you can go to WDW? Yes, Disney does a good job with mosquitos but there is still a chance. This isn't a little virus that will go away in your babies, it's a lifelong debilitating disability.
I understand your point about unnecessary risk, but there aren't confirmed cases at WDW, there are four confirmed cases in the Miami area.

I understand your point about unnecessary risk, but there aren't confirmed cases at WDW, there are four confirmed cases in the Miami area.

let's hope it stays in miami - or better yet, disappears from miami completely...
unfortunately, it now seems that zika has become an issue that many of us must take into consideration when planning..
our big family trip is next summer (2017).....so it would seem to be a long time away...
however, we have reserved our vacation package from disney.uk - and will have to pay in full a long time in advance..
since there are several members of the family who fall into the high risk group, it's certainly possible that we will be forced to cancel...
i really hope not...i hope this is a very isolated incident and that we won't hear about locally transmitted zika again...

Last edited:

Yes, but it takes a few weeks for the mosquito's to carry them, then they bite someone, that person becomes sick (not right away), gets tested, there is a wait for the tests and then they will confirm humans were infected. Would a pregnant woman want to chance this? They won't know overnight if the mosquitos in WDW are carrying them.

Last edited:
let's hope it stays in miami - or better yet, disappears from miami completely...
unfortunately, it now seems that zika has become an issue that many of us must take into consideration when planning..
our big family trip is next summer (2017).....so it would seem to be a long time away...
however, we have reserved our vacation package from disney.uk - and will have to pay in full a long time in advance..
since there are several members of the family who fall into the high risk group, it's certainly possible that we will be forced to cancel...
i really hope not...i hope this is a very isolated incident and that we won't hear about locally transmitted zika again...

Unfortunately, since it is in Florida now, it will most likely continue to move North this summer. Next summer it will mostly return, just like the west nile virus that came back for a few years. Unfortunately, the Zika is so devastating to unborn babies, that is what makes it so scary.

Also, they say that 80% of people show no symptoms, so obviously there are more then 4 that have been infected. There will be some that show no symptoms and some who will have symptoms
but will just recover and not even go to the doctor.

I was worried not for me since I am 46 and most likely not having anymore children but you never know I am more worried for my kids. Everything is paid for between Universal and Disney we would be out over 6 grand if we don't go . So my thought is it's not like Ebola and I looked up the best Mosquito spray and that is OFF Deep Woods Vlll and we will be bringing that on our trip in October. Every time we went i never really got bit while down at Disney but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter