• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

YES. I am VERY CONCERNED. So everyone stay away from the Disney parks the last week of November this year. I hear that's when they are going to be the worst! Our family will go and scout it out...take one for the team...and I'll report back when we get home. Stay safe out there....

As pointed out in another thread, honestly truly and statistically, you are more likely to get attacked by an alligator at Disney at this point than get bitten by a Zika mosquito.

I am pretty significantly concerned for my sister, and to a lesser extent, myself. Pregnancy is not in my immediate future, if ever, but you just never know.

It's one of those things where...if it were just me, would I probably risk it? Yeah. But, when you are thinking about another life, the life of your unborn child...I'm just not sure I can justify that risk, small as it may be. Ugh, it's hard.

Maybe there is a chance that the incidents will remain isolated. But, if it spreads northward, as I think everyone expects it will...our October/November trip seems to be on shaky ground.

We are still going to go on our trip in Aug, no pregnancies are a definite, no children under 7 years old. I have to be honest, I am a bit concerned about all the pesticides that they will be spraying at the resorts and on Disney property. Pesticides are carcinogens and I worry about my children getting exposed to them. Anyone know how often Disney sprays and how many times per week?

WDW's IPM is already very good. I would not expect to see a dramatic increase in pesticide usage there over what is already presumably used.

We live in South Florida and will be going to WDW last week in August.
Only four people have contracted it out of hundred of thousands of people so the numbers are on our side.
I have that certain chemistry that attracts Mosquitos like a moth to a flame and in our last three visits to WDW, I have not been bitten once. So just use a safe repellant for extra precaution and you'll be fine.

I don't disagree but now that Zika is confirmed in the US, anywhere these mosquitos live is basically now fair game because of the prevalence of domestic travel. Therefore, one isn't necessarily less likely to get the disease simply by avoiding travel to WDW, which certainly has much, much better mosquito control than my backyard/hometown.

The difference is that your home town has not had any cases transmitted locally, and Florida apparently now has.

Current guidance is that you wait to actively start trying 8 weeks after you clear the area with Zika. That should not impact your life plans honestly. Just enjoy your trip and plan on family planning for around Christmas!

I know - not the end of the world at all but we timed this so perfectly. Always wanted to be able to say we concieved in Disney :)

As someone who had fertility issues, just be aware that picking where and when you conceive can be very tough to do. I wish you good luck in building your family, even if doesn't happen at Disney :)

Of course, I know that - more of a pipe dream really :tongue:but it could have been possible! But now not so much. Just a little bummed.

Last edited:
I live in NJ and we have been told it will probably not make it up this far north this year, perhaps next year but by going to Florida (especially if you are pregnant) the chances are higher.
The difference is that your home town has not had any cases transmitted locally, and Florida apparently now has.

Again, talking specifically about WDW travel. Not South Florida, not general Florida, just WDW which has fantastic IPM.

i didn't notice them so much at the parks , but when we were at the resort at night they were bad, My youngest daughter seems to attract them so we went into a gift shop and spent a gazillion dollars for a very small can of off. Just remember that to protect from zika the deet has to have 30 percent or higher, {at least that is what is reported on the news.]

Just remember that to protect from zika the deet has to have 30 percent or higher, {at least that is what is reported on the news.]

DEET, in of itself, does not protect against the Zika virus. DEET only repels mosquitoes. That being said, I always use the highest concentration I can get. I'm not concerned about the chemical at all and liberally use it. I grew up camping and everyone in my extended family practically bathed in the stuff (multiple times daily during much of the year) and not one case of cancer. I am a grandmother and my parents are alive, healthy, and still camping.

Just wanted to add that, as a Florida resident, I can tell you that we are having a VERY low mosquito season. We live in the woods and usually have the county fog once a week. We have not had them out this summer at all, and only a rare occasional mosquito has shown up on our property.

i didn't notice them so much at the parks , but when we were at the resort at night they were bad, My youngest daughter seems to attract them so we went into a gift shop and spent a gazillion dollars for a very small can of off. Just remember that to protect from zika the deet has to have 30 percent or higher, {at least that is what is reported on the news.]

It's also been reported that the type of mosquito responsible for spreading zika actively feeds during the day. That's of course not to say you can't get bit outside at night, but the ones that come out at night are more likely to be a different type.

Don;t worry.. after the Olympics zika will spread all across the globe. Apparently if a mosquito bites someone who has been infected they then get the disease and can spread it. You just KNOW that a percent of folks in RIO will get bitten. Soon it won't matter if you are in FL or NY...

Don;t worry.. after the Olympics zika will spread all across the globe. Apparently if a mosquito bites someone who has been infected they then get the disease and can spread it. You just KNOW that a percent of folks in RIO will get bitten. Soon it won't matter if you are in FL or NY...

Except mosquitoes are not year round in New York. Also, New York does not have all the same species of mosquito that Florida has. I wonder how that affects the life cycle and transmission?

I was concerned at first, but no longer! My mentality? If you can't beat them, join them!

Attachments

• flea.jpg
    flea.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 6

Sorry but this just shows a poor grasp of what is currently known about Zika transmission and the reason why it's important to stay informed.

Yeah. I read an interesting book about the history of scientists' fight against mosquito-borne diseases. Quarantining the victims was apparently discovered to be an important part of the two-pronged approach, along with eradicating as many mosquitos as possible. Fascinating stuff. Mosquitos are bad news. I hope they are spraying the heck out of them at WDW.

Current guidance is that you wait to actively start trying 8 weeks after you clear the area with Zika. That should not impact your life plans honestly. Just enjoy your trip and plan on family planning for around Christmas!
That is the guideline for women. For Men it is 6 months. The sexual transmission of the virus is male to female. This was the latest info we were told at the medical facility I work at on Thursday.

We live in South Florida and will be going to WDW last week in August.
Only four people have contracted it out of hundred of thousands of people so the numbers are on our side.
I have that certain chemistry that attracts Mosquitos like a moth to a flame and in our last three visits to WDW, I have not been bitten once. So just use a safe repellant for extra precaution and you'll be fine.
Many people get the virus with no symptoms. So there very well could be more than 4 people with it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter