Anyone back from Alaska yet?

According to Stan Solo, his was not on a sea day so it doesn't sound like the Character Breakfast is only on sea days. This makes me nervous as I'm planning private excursions for both Skagway & Juneau with morning start times. Do you know if I can reschedule the breakfast time if it conflicts for my group? Since it won't be with DCL, will they be less inclined to let me change? It would be a bummer to miss it.

There are four mornings where they can place the character breakfast without messing with people excursions - Day 2 (at sea), 3 (Tracy Arm), 6 (Ketchikan), and 7 (at sea). I can't imagine they would put breakfast on the Skagway or Juneau day.

Oh my goodness sorry about all the confusion everyone. Now that I talked to my wife and thinking more about it I was wrong about the Character Breakfast being on day four. It was on day three the Tracy Arm day. We had breakfast and dinner in Parrot Cay on the same day. Please forgive me :worship:

Hi, thank you for your mini-review. Can you please tell me more about Deck 4 on Tracy Arm day? Do the characters come out to meet with you or are they inside in the Atrium?

During your cruise, did you ever feel the ship was crowded? Any favorite entrees that you recall?

As for the lack of time at the Glacier, I was researching for my own excursion in Juneau and was interested in the company that I think you went with. But seeing that they only allow 15 min. at the Glacier turned me off. However, what was your experience like on the water for whale watching? Would you recommend them?

Trying figure out dining relations, so far I have TAPTAPT ?

We found deck four to be perfect for us because it has a roof to protect us from the rain (it rained most of the week). Deck nine has huge windows to look out of but tend to fog up or get covered in rain drops blocking your view and does not make for good pictures. I would have like to have been on deck ten but it's totally open to the elements (not fun on a rainy cold day). We did see Mini Mouse out on deck four but it was not for long by the time we saw her she went back inside.

We did not find the ship crowded at all except for right at the front on deck ten when leaving Vancouver and right at the glacier in Tracy Arm it started to get crowded. For the most part I wondered where everyone was. I just figured they were at the buffet.

My favorite meal besides Palo was the crab legs (mind you this is an appetizer). If you are a fan of them place two orders I could have defently gone for more. The first steak I ordered I asked for it to be med/rare and it came undercooked for my liking. I told Chris our waiter and he offered to take it back but I told him I'd eat it. I guess he never made a note of that because the next time I ordered a steak it came the same way.

Harv and Marv was a great excursion only we booked a small six person boat and so did six other people so we were put in a larger boat all together. They told us it was because the water was too choppy for the smaller boat and this boat was brand new we were only the second group to use it. (It did had that new boat smell). They offered to refund our money and to take us back to the ship if we did not like the larger boat. Of course no one did that. We all had a great time and saw about 13 different whales in total. We had a good number of friends with us (140) and we all went on different excursions some went whale watching on different boats and from what I can tell from their stories none of them saw as many whales as we did. They did however get to spend more time at the park. So it depends what is important to you. A couple that was with our group did stay behind at the park and found their own trasportation back to the ship. I don't know how much it would cost but if it's less then $10 I would have went for it.

From our group three members went to an old cemetery in Ketchikan it looked very interesting didn't cost them anything and the got some great pictures. If I were to go again this would be on my must do list. They even had time to do some shopping. They did worry us though they were among the last to get back on the ship. However, they did that at every port.

Trying figure out dining relations, so far I have TAPTAPT ?

This is the rotation we had. For the second A we went to Palo so we missed the Toy Story meal.

Last edited:
This photo I took from the Harv and Marv boat gives you a good idea just how big the glacier is when you compaire it to the boat in the forground.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 62
I don't care for the Krispy Kreme doughnuts onboard. They are frozen and then thawed when placed out for service. They're just not the same as a fresh one.

I usually skip them on cruises too, but they were actually quite good on the Alaskan. Perhaps it had something to do with the glaze not melting in the humid Caribbean weather, but they were just as good as ones from a shop. They weren't "hot now" quality, but otherwise they were terrific.

PoisonIvy, where can I read the rest of your Alaskan trip report?
You have me hanging waiting to read the rest.. Pictures are beautiful!!!!
I hope our weather will be perfect..

I've been debating on a trip report. So far I've been posting mainly here and on our cruise meet. I will share our whale watching pics next.
I hope you have great weather too.

Whalewatching in Auke Bay, AK
(Juneau May 29, 2015)

Our charter left out of the Don D. Statter Harbor in Auke Bay, Alaska

Be sure to look back and witness the mighty Coast Mountains rise up as you venture out onto the crystal blue waters of Auke Bay.

here's an incredible aeriel shot of where we were:
http://www.alaskaphotoworld.com/alaska365/2012/09/06/aerial-view-of-auke-bay-harbor-auke-mendenhall-lake/

Our vessel: "The M/V Alaskan" was an excellent boat with very comfortable seating

We were surrounded by beautiful scenery

Herbert Glacier

Historic Sentinel Island Lighthouse
http://www.capitalcityweekly.com/stories/080410/new_690706191.shtml

Steller Sea Lion Haulout

JQ kept a sharp eye in search of our National Emblem

Now if he were really tech savvy, we'd hear a rendition of America the Beautiful while panning out on this majestic creature.

Whale watching is truly spectacular.
This is something I would do again and again, given the opportunity.

We only saw humpbacks today - no orcas – but there’s hope for next time.

We observed a mother with her calf several times

The excitement builds with every sighting, as you never knew when or where a humpback would surface. If you're lucky, one might breach right in front of you. (so jealous!)

Wow...you take amazing photos!
And how lucky you were to have had spectacular weather and see such beautiful creatures (...you should play the lottery!).

thanks so much. But I can't take all the credit. It's a combination of my DH and myself. We invested in a new Sony A6000 camera this trip which has great capabilities for a non DSLR and I carried along my old faithful Canon Powershot which is your basic point and shoot with a pretty decent built in zoom.

PI and JQ! That is a great picture of me on the front of our jet boat!!!! :-)

We all got quite the show that day, didn't we?

Enjoyed meeting you guys!

Wow! I am so happy to know that was your boat!! I was hoping it was a fellow Dis'er. It looked like most of you were on the bow when that whale jumped right out of the water. it happened so fast. Were you able to get any decent pics?

We had THE BEST day that afternoon. I do feel very lucky. Yes, quite the show indeed.

Loved meeting you guys too.
(p.s. Mark was three sheets to the wind after that mixology class when he met up with us at Bingo. He was very loud. Kept yelling at Bingo Betty to "shake it up"! Too funny.)

What time do the doors open for the shows? Do people show up crazy early for the shows?

Thanks!
On our cruise, people began lining up around a half hour before the shows. Not too early.

Last edited:
We have a limited Budget, which one would you do in Vancouver Grouse Mountain of Capilano Suspensión bridge?

How many in your family? Grouse Mtn has a family rate of $139.00 CAD which is for 2 adults and 2 kids.

I had asked two questions, there had been replies, so it was kind of confusing. I just wish there was more than one mixology. We did one two years ago and was looking forward to another. But 2 on Tracy Arm day just isn't going to cut it. Hopefully there will be another one scheduled.

We did mixology the first sea day at 4PM.

I'm wondering how close DCL is able to dock in the three ports? I've been reading prior years trip reports and it seems like especially in Juneau the Wonder docks quite a ways from town.

Thanks!
About a mile. It is walkable and I did see people walking it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter