Anyone back from Alaska yet?

There is food at several places on the drive, including Carcross, Caribou Crossing and the suspension bridge, but there are also lots of places for a nice picnic lunch as well.

We left the ship just after it was cleared (which was slightly later than posted) and started off immediately. I'd guess we were at Caribou Crossing by 9:45 and had a good hour there all by ourselves. Two busses arrived at the same time so the place suddenly became very busy. Because of that, I would definitely recommend driving directly to Caribou Crossing. Spend as much time there as you'd like and then continue on to Emerald Lake and the Carcross Dessert. Stop at Carcross on your way back and then anywhere else along the route you'd like. (We saw bears just north of Bove Island and the suspension bridge is just a few KM on the Canadian side of the border. We ended up there around 1:30.) Finish up with a trip up Dyea road to get some nice shots of the ship/town below.

We got back to town around 2:45 and had some time to wander around town before heading back to the ship.

We did the same thing! It was so nice to be there before the crowds! I love taking our time at Emerald Lake too. I felt like we really got to absorb the views.

We are going to Alaska in August and are trying to decide between two excursions in Ketchikan...Alaskan Rainforest Sanctuary & crab feast or Wilderness exploration and crab feast. Has anyone done these? Do they go to the same place just by different means (bus vs boat)

We are going to Alaska in August and are trying to decide between two excursions in Ketchikan...Alaskan Rainforest Sanctuary & crab feast or Wilderness exploration and crab feast. Has anyone done these? Do they go to the same place just by different means (bus vs boat)

I cannot comment on the Rainforest Sanctuary excursion, but we did the Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast on our 6/1 cruise and it was WONDERFUL! We took a bus to the Lodge where we boarded a fully-enclosed boat. Our first stop was to see eagles. Our guide threw a fish into the water and an eagle swooped down to get it. This happened 7 or 8 times so everyone got great views and great photos of the eagles. Next it was on to the crabbing area where he pulled up a crab pot and told us all about crabbing. Anyone who wanted to could hold a crab for photos. Finally, we returned to the lodge where we had the crab feast. First we got a small green salad and then it was time for the crab. It was all you could eat and we definitely ate our fill. The crab just kept coming! The meal finished up with a slice of delicious cheesecake with Alaskan blueberry topping.

The whole excursion was fantastic, from start to finish. Upon return to Ketchikan we had plenty of time to wander around town to shop/explore/take photos. It was a great day and I highly recommend the experience.

We did the Rainforest Sanctuary nature walk and we were disappointed with it. The nature walk is about 1/8 mile long at best and since there were no bears present we only saw eagles. I don't want to sound disappointed about the eagles but you're going to find out they're like sparrows in Alaska, just everywhere and just amazing.
The second part of the tour with the crab feast was the best meal we had for the whole cruise (and we ate at Palo's one meal). I can't promote it enough. We even had about 6 of the crew members that tagged along with us just because of the crab feast.

I cannot comment on the Rainforest Sanctuary excursion, but we did the Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast on our 6/1 cruise and it was WONDERFUL! We took a bus to the Lodge where we boarded a fully-enclosed boat. Our first stop was to see eagles. Our guide threw a fish into the water and an eagle swooped down to get it. This happened 7 or 8 times so everyone got great views and great photos of the eagles. Next it was on to the crabbing area where he pulled up a crab pot and told us all about crabbing. Anyone who wanted to could hold a crab for photos. Finally, we returned to the lodge where we had the crab feast. First we got a small green salad and then it was time for the crab. It was all you could eat and we definitely ate our fill. The crab just kept coming! The meal finished up with a slice of delicious cheesecake with Alaskan blueberry topping.

The whole excursion was fantastic, from start to finish. Upon return to Ketchikan we had plenty of time to wander around town to shop/explore/take photos. It was a great day and I highly recommend the experience.

Gosh, I'm hungry now. Mmmm

Poison Ivy and JQ thanks for sharing your whale pix We basically got the same shots but yours are sharper than with my basic camera. Was that not the best day? And Tidefan, Micca and I were with JQ and Poison Ivy, and yes, we all wished that whale had come in front us us, but at least hoped it was DVC peeps. What a thrill. We had some seals swim right up to our boat, which was pretty awesome, but not like that whale! For those of you who have returned now, isn't AK just fabulous? And for those of you going, AK is FABULOUS.

We're staying at the Pan the day before our cruise in Aug. We'd love the see the Wonder docking... what time and where should be to get a view like the pic you posted? Thanks!

great choices - the Pan was such a beautiful hotel

... and to be standing right at Canada Place when the Wonder docked was the greatest feeling.

We're staying at the Pan the day before our cruise in Aug. We'd love the see the Wonder docking... what time and where should be to get a view like the pic you posted? Thanks!
The Wonder goes under the Lions Gate Bridge around 6:00. The Pool deck at the Pan opens up at 6:00. Until then you can watch from the deck that is outside the lobby.

Thanks, I didn't realize we could see it even from our hotel- fabulous!

The Wonder goes under the Lions Gate Bridge around 6:00. The Pool deck at the Pan opens up at 6:00. Until then you can watch from the deck that is outside the lobby.

I got down to the pool deck at about 7 this morning and she was just pulling up to the dock. I went down to the lobby floor for better view and pictures as there are no tall railings. The Pan pacific was a wonderful stay for us and we are in love with Vancouver! Off we go!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Should I just skip the pool deck and get to the lobby deck instead? I would love to see the Wonder dock. TIA!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Should I just skip the pool deck and get to the lobby deck instead? I would love to see the Wonder dock. TIA!
If you want to see it come under the bridge go to the pool deck - I don't think you can see that well from the lobby. I would then go down to the lobby. It takes a while for it to actual dock once it comes into view. It comes in and then turns around and backs in. A good 45 minutes or so until it is docked.

We skipped the pool deck. It's a little difficult to stand among the flower boxes and foliage planted in front of the plexiglass surrounding the pool.

I don't have a picture, but if you scroll down a few pics on this page of Ellen's trip report, you'll see a shot of them standing poolside which clearly shows how tall those planters behind the lounge chairs really are and how you have to basically stand in them to get a clear shot above that plexiglass. http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-...an-cruise-updates-4-11.3367343/#post-52872138

There really wasn't any clear area we could walk around the pool to either. Every walkway was blocked off beyond the main deck.

We were up pretty early that morning. I believe it was around 5:40am when we walked outside to venture down the main dock - which also wasn't accessible until 6.

Once the gate opened, my DH eventually positioned himself near the steps at "Fly over Canada"

while I stayed down on the main level

We felt so close to the ship.

at this point, we could actually talk to one another while she docked.

Whalewatching in Auke Bay, AK
(Juneau May 29, 2015)

Our charter left out of the Don D. Statter Harbor in Auke Bay, Alaska

We were surrounded by beautiful scenery

Be sure to look back and witness the mighty Coast Mountains rise up as you venture out onto the crystal blue waters of Auke Bay.

here's an incredible aeriel shot of where we were:
http://www.alaskaphotoworld.com/alaska365/2012/09/06/aerial-view-of-auke-bay-harbor-auke-mendenhall-lake/

Our vessel: "The M/V Alaskan" was an excellent boat with very comfortable seating

We were surrounded by beautiful scenery

Herbert Glacier

Historic Sentinel Island Lighthouse
http://www.capitalcityweekly.com/stories/080410/new_690706191.shtml

Steller Sea Lion Haulout

JQ kept a sharp eye in search of our National Emblem

Now if he were really tech savvy, we'd hear a rendition of America the Beautiful while panning out on this majestic creature.

Whale watching is truly spectacular.
This is something I would do again and again, given the opportunity.

We only saw humpbacks today - no orcas – but there’s hope for next time.

We observed a mother with her calf several times

The excitement builds with every sighting, as you never knew when or where a humpback would surface. If you're lucky, one might breach right in front of you. (so jealous!)

Awesome photos. With whom did you book your whale watching tour?

Awesome photos. With whom did you book your whale watching tour?

Our situation was a little unique. we booked our charter thru weather permitting (including a side trip to Mendenhall Glacier.)
But things got rearranged at the last minute since Captain Harry was still waiting on his boat.

He wound up transferring us over to Harv and Marv's with Capt. Jeff on the "M/V Alaskan" at no additional cost.

So the charter was contracted thru Weather Permitting but the actual tour was with Harv and Marv's on their boat.

We did mixology the first sea day at 4PM.

That is what we ended up doing too. I don't like Mixology on the small ships. Too many people and too little interaction. I also didn't like the selection of drinks chosen or maybe they were too watered down by the time we got to them.

That is what we ended up doing too. I don't like Mixology on the small ships. Too many people and too little interaction. I also didn't like the selection of drinks chosen or maybe they were too watered down by the time we got to them.
We had a great Private Mixology class with our cruise group.

We had a great Private Mixology class with our cruise group.
I am glad that you did! By the time my group all decided that they wanted to do it, the Private one didn't have enough spaces. Did you all get to mix the drinks or were they predone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter