Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

The men in the family have always arranged for a Super Bowl party at the hunting lease. For as long as I can remember we ALL went and those of us non-football fans would try to make conversation for X hours and then come home late only to get up for work the next day. Oh there's only one tv there so it's not like we could watch something else. Last year I said I loved everyone, but not football. I threw my own anti-Super Bowl party. Stayed in my PJs, still ate junk food, watched whatever I wanted, went to bed at a decent hour. I liked it so much I'm doing it again. My only consequence is I still am requested to send on of my specialty dishes out there. This year it's my recipe for Chuy's creamy jalapeño sauce that we eat as a dip.

Winter is not my friend either, at least now I'm not required to get out much in the weather. I think somewhere around the time I turned 50 I started noticing I'm just a better person when the temps average 60 degrees or higher. I'm not a fan of super hot weather either, but I can maintain my comfort much more easily in hot weather than cold weather.

Sooooo, moving on...Any big plans for the big game on Sunday? It's pretty much a non-starter around my house, the game will be on but mostly because the tv is usually on all day Sunday anyway. Obviously I have given some thought to some terribly unhealthy food to have around the house.:rolleyes1 I'm thinking we forego formal meals in favor of grazing. Start with a cinnamon roll late morning, perhaps some crudites with hummus early afternoon, nachos later in the afternoon, a cheese tasting early evening, then maybe a piece of cheesecake or perhaps apple pie...with ice cream?*

So fellow ALDIOians, what's the menu/plan?

* Yes I sincerely think about this, but it occurred to me this could also be bait to lure @jevs back ;)
I have many arthritis related issues. Cool/cold weather fronts cause major swelling in my back & knees, which causes an incredible amount of pain. I'm glad you're able to maintain some level of comfort in the winter. Moving to South Florida hasn't helped me as much as I'd like. We need to both move to Australia or somewhere in the winter, so it's summer all the time.:sunny:

A man that plans a meal ahead of time is my kind of guy. You need to mentor DH. Your Super Bowl plan sounds great! We're thinking about grilling baby back ribs. We'll probably have grilled corn, because we usually do with ribs. Dessert is a Sunday thing around here. We haven't thought about other sides or snacks beyond that. Our plan sounds pretty pathetic compared to yours. We obviously need to go back to the drawing board. FWIW, DH is a beer guy. I like wine. We may bring out the hard stuff for the game though. We'll see.

He's very close to my heart. Does that count? :)

Absolutely! You're in! :thumbsup2

This looks like a fun group. :)

I think so! When our mayor (King Schultz) went on sabbatical toward the end of last year I became the sole contributor of testosterone in ALDIO. It'd be nice to have some back-up ;)

The men in the family have always arranged for a Super Bowl party at the hunting lease. For as long as I can remember we ALL went and those of us non-football fans would try to make conversation for X hours and then come home late only to get up for work the next day. Oh there's only one tv there so it's not like we could watch something else. Last year I said I loved everyone, but not football. I threw my own anti-Super Bowl party. Stayed in my PJs, still ate junk food, watched whatever I wanted, went to bed at a decent hour. I liked it so much I'm doing it again. My only consequence is I still am requested to send on of my specialty dishes out there. This year it's my recipe for Chuy's creamy jalapeño sauce that we eat as a dip.

You have my full attention. Please elaborate! :)

I have many arthritis related issues. Cool/cold weather fronts cause major swelling in my back & knees, which causes an incredible amount of pain. I'm glad you're able to maintain some level of comfort in the winter. Moving to South Florida hasn't helped me as much as I'd like. We need to both move to Australia or somewhere in the winter, so it's summer all the time.:sunny:

I'm so sorry to hear that, now I feel like a whiny baby complaining about the cold. Maybe we can figure a way to spend winters in Maui.

A man that plans a meal ahead of time is my kind of guy. You need to mentor DH. Your Super Bowl plan sounds great! We're thinking about grilling baby back ribs. We'll probably have grilled corn, because we usually do with ribs. Dessert is a Sunday thing around here. We haven't thought about other sides or snacks beyond that. Our plan sounds pretty pathetic compared to yours. We obviously need to go back to the drawing board. FWIW, DH is a beer guy. I like wine. We may bring out the hard stuff for the game though. We'll see.

Absolutely! You're in! :thumbsup2

I was sort of thinking about margaritas too. I had one made with Patron at a restaurant a few weeks ago and it was soooo smooth, and it wasn't all crummy mix. I think they made it from scratch with lime & triple sec.

Sound good. Enjoy the day on your terms.

I think so! When our mayor (King Schultz) went on sabbatical toward the end of last year I became the sole contributor of testosterone in ALDIO. It'd be nice to have some back-up ;)

I was sort of thinking about margaritas too. I had one made with Patron at a restaurant a few weeks ago and it was soooo smooth, and it wasn't all crummy mix. I think they made it from scratch with lime & triple sec.

Creamy Jalapeño
1 cup buttermilk
1 quart mayo
3 pkgs ranch dip mix (like hidden valley)
1/2 bunch cilantro
7 oz sliced jalapeños (the pickled kind in a can)
7 oz Herdez salsa verde (once the store was out but had Taco Bell salsa verde in a jar and it had same outcome)

Put everything in blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour before eating.

Great in/on everything. I've even mixed it with some shredded chicken and Tabasco brand sriracha for my personal version of chicken salad. But then I also love that Tabasco sriracha on everything---Poboys, pizza, deviled eggs, fried chicken....

Sounds good. What time's the party? :teeth:

PS: You've done an excellent job as our only male contributor. If not for you, this thread may die. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup2

Creamy Jalapeño
1 cup buttermilk
1 quart mayo
1/2 bunch cilantro
7 oz Herdez salsa verde (once the store was out but had Taco Bell salsa verde in a jar and it had same outcome)

Put everything in blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour before eating.

Great in/on everything. I've even mixed it with some shredded chicken and Tabasco brand sriracha for my personal version of chicken salad. But then I also love that Tabasco sriracha on everything---Poboys, pizza, deviled eggs, fried chicken....
Sounds great!

We decided to do something different from the chili and other wintery types of food we have cooked in the past. DH is dusting off (or probably snow blowing) the grill and we're going to have burgers, dogs, potato salad and baked beans for Super Bowl Sunday!! :love:

......and chip dip.

Creamy Jalapeño
1 cup buttermilk
1 quart mayo
1/2 bunch cilantro

Wow, that sounds awesome! I'd have to downsize the recipe but I love dips/sauces you can use with different things. Thanks for sharing:thumbsup2

You've done an excellent job as our only male contributor. If not for you, this thread may die. Keep up the good work

You're too kind! I'm really enjoying hangin' out with everyone. Smart/fun/interesting people are hard to come by. :)

Hear hear!!

You also my friend! Packing nearly done?

We decided to do something different from the chili and other wintery types of food we have cooked in the past. DH is dusting off (or probably snow blowing) the grill and we're going to have burgers, dogs, potato salad and baked beans for Super Bowl Sunday!

Oh man PICNIC FOOD!!!!!!!!!!! I could make a meal of the potato salad/baked beans/chip & dip. It'd be too cold here to grill out. I have a good gas grill, but if it's too cold out it just doesn't do the job. Besides, I would have to go out to cook and I think we've established that ain't happenin':sunny: BTW, never hurts to have a pot of chili on hand: It can be a topping for burger or chili dogs, and you can throw in some cheese and some other stuff and have some excellent dip for chips. I've also been known to take a ladle of chili and dump it over some eggs for breakfast--sort of a down & dirty huevos rancheros. Just sayin' :)

Need to start working on my grocery list, and I think I'll stop and pick up some bigger jeans:earboy2:

Wow, that sounds awesome! I'd have to downsize the recipe but I love dips/sauces you can use with different things. Thanks for sharing:thumbsup2

You're too kind! I'm really enjoying hangin' out with everyone. Smart/fun/interesting people are hard to come by. :)

You also my friend! Packing nearly done?

Oh man PICNIC FOOD!!!!!!!!!!! I could make a meal of the potato salad/baked beans/chip & dip. It'd be too cold here to grill out. I have a good gas grill, but if it's too cold out it just doesn't do the job. Besides, I would have to go out to cook and I think we've established that ain't happenin':sunny: BTW, never hurts to have a pot of chili on hand: It can be a topping for burger or chili dogs, and you can throw in some cheese and some other stuff and have some excellent dip for chips. I've also been known to take a ladle of chili and dump it over some eggs for breakfast--sort of a down & dirty huevos rancheros. Just sayin' :)

Need to start working on my grocery list, and I think I'll stop and pick up some bigger jeans:earboy2:

Or put chili and cheese and what not on a baked potato!

And in case you need a good, easy, artery clogging casserole for game day, I give you my hot dog casserole or "weenie casserole" as we call it.

Weenie casserole
2 pkgs hot dog weenies (pref. Beef)
1 16ct pkg hot dog buns
Large can of chili (or homemade if it's lying around)
Shredded cheese to top (as much or little as you want)
Chopped onions if you want

Spray a 13x9 pan with spray Pam. Cut up all buns into quarters and fill pan. Cut up weenies into coin size pieces and sprinkle over buns. Spread can of chili on top of weenies. Sprinkle cheese on top as much as you like. You can also add chopped onions if so desired. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

And in case you need a good, easy, artery clogging casserole for game day, I give you my hot dog casserole or "weenie casserole" as we call it.

Weenie casserole
2 pkgs hot dog weenies (pref. Beef)
1 16ct pkg hot dog buns
Large can of chili (or homemade if it's lying around)
Shredded cheese to top (as much or little as you want)
Chopped onions if you want

Spray a 13x9 pan with spray Pam. Cut up all buns into quarters and fill pan. Cut up weenies into coin size pieces and sprinkle over buns. Spread can of chili on top of weenies. Sprinkle cheese on top as much as you like. You can also add chopped onions if so desired. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Thanks DT! I'd top it with the onions...and some mushed up Fritos.

the week of dining on what's left in the freezer begins

Actually this kind of a fantasy of mine.:o We have so much stuff in the freezer you have to take some of the stuff out to find what you're looking for. The pantry is also maxed out, yet we manage to spend more money at the grocery store every week.:scratchin Sometimes I think we should just force ourselves to eat stuff that's already here until we work our way down to combinations of food that just won't work--Like sandwiches made with frozen veggies.:crazy:

Packing, cleaning, fun, fun fun! I think I'm going to shut the kitchen down next Thursday, so the week of dining on what's left in the freezer begins. :laughing:

I can sense the excitement in your posts. I'm happy for you. :yay:

Actually this kind of a fantasy of mine.:o We have so much stuff in the freezer you have to take some of the stuff out to find what you're looking for. The pantry is also maxed out, yet we manage to spend more money at the grocery store every week.:scratchin

Same here. We throw away so much food, yet it seems we never have anything in the house to eat. :confused3:sad2:

Sometimes I think we should just force ourselves to eat stuff that's already here until we work our way down to combinations of food that just won't work--Like sandwiches made with frozen veggies.:crazy:

Where's your sense of adventure? Just think of all the interesting possibilities you could come up with. :teeth:

Actually this kind of a fantasy of mine.:o We have so much stuff in the freezer you have to take some of the stuff out to find what you're looking for. The pantry is also maxed out, yet we manage to spend more money at the grocery store every week.:scratchin Sometimes I think we should just force ourselves to eat stuff that's already here until we work our way down to combinations of food that just won't work--Like sandwiches made with frozen veggies.:crazy:

I should do this too!

Well my plan to have a day to graze tomorrow has come to end, but for a good reason. My son-in-law took our DGDs out of town to see the other grandparents for the weekend, so we're going to brunch with DD tomorrow. It's a fabulous buffet, so there's no stopping until you just can't take another bite. And there's mimosas, and bloody marys.:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter