ANOTHER Duggar is on the way..and it's......

While i dont agree with their belief, how they raise their children, etc etc. I agree they are media *****s and will do anything to keep their TV show (which is in the ratings toilet) going. Also it is known that they did take assistance with their youngest medical bills.

That would temper my thoughts on them. I'm curious what sort of assistance. Did they not have medical coverage for her?

I do find it pretty crazy that they even attempted more kids after their experience with the youngest. What a disservice it would be to the remaining kids if something happened to all those kids, many of whom are VERY young still.

Regardless, I continue to be amazed at the vehemence with which people condemn others who choose to have large families (this case aside).

That would temper my thoughts on them. I'm curious what sort of assistance. Did they not have medical coverage for her?

I do find it pretty crazy that they even attempted more kids after their experience with the youngest. What a disservice it would be to the remaining kids if something happened to all those kids, many of whom are VERY young still.

Regardless, I continue to be amazed at the vehemence with which people condemn others who choose to have large families (this case aside).

I would *assume* that they were covered by medicaid under the provision for the "medically needy". Many middle and upper middle class families qualify and use this benefit for the astronomical medical bills incurred by having an infant in the NICU. One of my dear friends and his family used it for their youngest child, who was born at 29 weeks. Their insurance actually required them to apply before they covered a dime.

I would *assume* that they were covered by medicaid under the provision for the "medically needy". Many middle and upper middle class families qualify and use this benefit for the astronomical medical bills incurred by having an infant in the NICU. One of my dear friends and his family used it for their youngest child, who was born at 29 weeks. Their insurance actually required them to apply before they covered a dime.

That would change my thoughts. But I'm not willing to assume. Nor apparently am I willing to spend time googling to see if I can find the answer! :rotfl:

While i dont agree with their belief, how they raise their children, etc etc. I agree they are media *****s and will do anything to keep their TV show (which is in the ratings toilet) going. Also it is known that they did take assistance with their youngest medical bills.

From the Today show interview. This is Meredith Viera's statement. The Duggars did not apply for Medicaid, it automatically kicked in because of the baby's weight. That would happen for anyone.
You have stated many times that you do not take government assistance and that you are proud of being financially responsible for your children. But babies who weigh less than 1,200 grams at birth are immediately Medicaid eligible. It is a Federal Law. Your NICU will have billed Medicaid for anything your insurance did not cover, which in most cases is a lot of money. A typical bill for a 25 week baby in the NICU is over $500,000. There is also a lot of essential follow-up medical care not covered by the majority of health insurances, so will you use Josie’s Medicaid to access those services?

mom2rtk said:
Wow, you feel very strongly about this. I just figure if someone doesn't like them they can just not watch their show. If enough people don't watch, then they will no longer have a show. I don't care all that much. I have seen the show, but don't go out of my way to keep up or watch every week.

But no, we don't know for a fact that none of them get assistance. I'm just making an assumption based on the bits I've seen. I'm believing the story line that they are hard working and industrious. That tends to be the sort that avoids a handout. If I see something to the contrary, then I'll change my opinion of them in a heartbeat.

Seems like you feel pretty strongly about them, since you read so much into my post. I just made a comment about their being on tv a lot. Don't need to be a cult follower of the show to see the Duggar name popping up.

And if they don't keep reproducing themselves then the show will quickly die out. That's the whole schtick, after all .

From the Today show interview. This is Meredith Viera's statement. The Duggars did not apply for Medicaid, it automatically kicked in because of the baby's weight. That would happen for anyone.
You have stated many times that you do not take government assistance and that you are proud of being financially responsible for your children. But babies who weigh less than 1,200 grams at birth are immediately Medicaid eligible. It is a Federal Law. Your NICU will have billed Medicaid for anything your insurance did not cover, which in most cases is a lot of money. A typical bill for a 25 week baby in the NICU is over $500,000. There is also a lot of essential follow-up medical care not covered by the majority of health insurances, so will you use Josie’s Medicaid to access those services?

Yes that is the case. In this instance the family should have stepped up and said we are grateful for the support our government provides us for the care of our micro preemie. Instead they still tout the line they take no aid. (Oh and we want more children)

The fact is their buy used save the difference jargon went out the window when the TLC money came rolling in. They enjoy the handouts, free trips and publicity that makes up their lifestyle.

One day the show will be canceled and the money will stop. They will have several uneducated adult children living at home living off the family dole until it runs out. They only have so many used car lots, towing businesses, and real estate properties they can pass on to their (male) children to make them look like productive members of society.

But we're talking about THIS family. And I think they instill a work ethic that will make them conbtributing members of society. I have HUGE issues with people having kids when they expect others to pay to support them. But that's apparently not the case here. So while I would never have that many kids...... it's none of my business how many they have.

But that was my point: America needs more hard-working, self-supporting people. The Duggars ARE that kind of family, and children from that type of family tend to turn out to be hard-working and self-supporting. They're likely to turn out to be givers rather than takers.

If you look at all of society, this type of family is having fewer and fewer children -- likely because it's costing more and more to raise and educate them. Whereas the "takers" of society are continuing to have children at the same rate they've always had them. Eventually we're going to have more takers than we have givers, and what will we do then?

Josh Duggar was raised to be a real man and he is doing what he's supposed to do: get married and have children. Many of Josh's peers remain boys until they are 35 and then wake up one day decide they want to try on manhood for size.

Josh Duggar was raised to be a real man and he is doing what he's supposed to do: get married and have children. Many of Josh's peers remain boys until they are 35 and then wake up one day decide they want to try on manhood for size.

I'm really sorry, but that is terribly insulting to men. All they have to do is get married and have kids? Really? That is the sole purpose of men in this world?

Must have missed that memo...

Also, if a person decides to wait until they are READY for marriage and kids (rather than just get married when they are younger), why should we find fault in that decision? So, I guess we all should get married and start popping out kids when we are twenty? That makes a lot of sense!

I'm really sorry, but that is terribly insulting to men. All they have to do is get married and have kids? Really? That is the sole purpose of men in this world?

Must have missed that memo...

You missed the memo that our bodies were made to reproduce?

You have stated many times that you do not take government assistance and that you are proud of being financially responsible for your children. But babies who weigh less than 1,200 grams at birth are immediately Medicaid eligible. It is a Federal Law. Your NICU will have billed Medicaid for anything your insurance did not cover, which in most cases is a lot of money. A typical bill for a 25 week baby in the NICU is over $500,000. There is also a lot of essential follow-up medical care not covered by the majority of health insurances, so will you use Josies Medicaid to access those services?

From what I have read that is 100% accurate! Thanks for actually posting a fact instead of an assumption:)
And if only ONE of their 19 children required assistance that they didn't even apply for then what is the issue! I know families with multiple children born pre-mature or with disabilities who receive financial aid.....is that a problem too? And are you saying that if your baby was born at 25 weeks and you had a $500,000 medical bill you would turn down assistance?

You missed the memo that our bodies were made to reproduce?

That is not our sole purpose for being here...and it is insulting to MEN and WOMEN to have such a narrow view of the human body.

So, does that mean that men and women who aren't able to conceive should just end their lives since they, surely, can't have any other purpose in life (in your view)?

And are you saying that if your baby was born at 25 weeks and you had a $500,000 medical bill you would turn down assistance?

The problem is that they were told that health complications were likely if she got pregnant again.

She did anyway and we get stuck with the bill.

But not popping out another one might mean the money spigot might turn off.

And at $3900 a kid they receive a minimum $75000 tax deduction. That's $20000 more then the median income of the United States.

AndyLL said:
The problem is that they were told that health complications were likely if she got pregnant again.

And at $3900 a kid they receive a minimum $75000 tax deduction. That's $20000 more then the median income of the United States.

Exactly, and they are trying to have more. Which will likely cost the tax payers again.

Question to all those who think the Duggar's, despite being reality tv stars, shan't ever be criticized because they don't cost the tax payers money, if Michelle gestates again and needs Medicaid again, will people be "allowed" to criticize then?

Yes that is the case. In this instance the family should have stepped up and said we are grateful for the support our government provides us for the care of our micro preemie. Instead they still tout the line they take no aid. (Oh and we want more children)

The fact is their buy used save the difference jargon went out the window when the TLC money came rolling in. They enjoy the handouts, free trips and publicity that makes up their lifestyle.

One day the show will be canceled and the money will stop. They will have several uneducated adult children living at home living off the family dole until it runs out. They only have so many used car lots, towing businesses, and real estate properties they can pass on to their (male) children to make them look like productive members of society.

They received medicaid for their sick baby. I guess they could have said , "Oh well, she's sick, let her die." If you or I had a baby at that birth weight, medicaid would kick in for us too.

Women get pregnant all the time even though they're told it's dangerous. There's a word a lot of people throw around concerning women and reproduction. It's called choice.

Do you have children? Mine are grown but you had better believe we took the deduction when we could. The government doesn't limit the deduction unless your income in above a certain level. They'd be idiots not to take the deduction.

She actually wasn't told that until after the birth of Josie. She never experienced premature births until Josie.....so yes after she was warned but not prior. I also find it funny everyone says "we" get stuck with the bill! We pay taxes plain and simple. The Medicaid money is a pool that all eligible get a piece of. The duggars themselves are not breaking the bank! Lets complain about all the welfare families and those seeking unemployment without needing it before we go after a family who supports 19 children with their own means.....whether TLC writes their paycheck now or not. They did support 14 without that money for many years.
The duggars had 14 children before they were ever featured on television. If they are simply having them to stay relevant then that would be a shame....however that's speculation. And honestly I would rather have networks sending them on trips and paying their way then most other reality shows:)

They received medicaid for their sick baby. I guess they could have said , "Oh well, she's sick, let her die." If you or I had a baby at that birth weight, medicaid would kick in for us too.

No... they should have turned down taxpayer money and paid for their medical bills with their TV income.

They've had 160 episodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_19_Kids_and_Counting_episodes)

They make between 25,000 - 40,000 per episode... that's between 4 million to 6.4 million... before all the freebies they get.

There is no reason for someone making that much money to take public assistance.

People like this is one reason public health care costs are out of control.

Women get pregnant all the time even though they're told it's dangerous. There's a word a lot of people throw around concerning women and reproduction. It's called choice.

Yes... she made a choice to get pregnant when told there would be health issues and she made a choice to have the tax payers pay for her choice.

I didn't have a choice to subsidize her taxpayer funded money maker.

Do you have children? Mine are grown but you had better believe we took the deduction when we could. The government doesn't limit the deduction unless your income in above a certain level. They'd be idiots not to take the deduction.

Just pointing out that these are not poor people just scraping by who need government assistance.

memma05 said:
She actually wasn't told that until after the birth of Josie. She never experienced premature births until Josie.....so yes after she was warned but not prior. I also find it funny everyone says "we" get stuck with the bill! We pay taxes plain and simple. The Medicaid money is a pool that all eligible get a piece of. The duggars themselves are not breaking the bank! Lets complain about all the welfare families and those seeking unemployment without needing it before we go after a family who supports 19 children with their own means.....whether TLC writes their paycheck now or not. They did support 14 without that money for many years.
The duggars had 14 children before they were ever featured on television. If they are simply having them to stay relevant then that would be a shame....however that's speculation. And honestly I would rather have networks sending them on trips and paying their way then most other reality shows:)

Yes, but whenever welfare or Medicaid is talked about, it's always in terms of "my hard earned money." As in, "people on food stamps should not be allowed to use my hard earned money on steak."

The bottom line is that their choice to have as many children as physically possible has cost the tax payers' money.

Yes, but whenever welfare or Medicaid is talked about, it's always in terms of "my hard earned money." As in, "people on food stamps should not be allowed to use my hard earned money on steak."

The bottom line is that their choice to have as many children as physically possible has cost the tax payers' money.

I do not watch their show. Do not care how they make their money to support their family. The good news is that they do support their family. They are not on welfare and keep having the kids for welfare to support them. If they have a medical problem and Medicaid steps in, that is what it is there for. They are getting the support legally. It is people who misuse the system that I have a problem with.

They specifically address in their book "A Love that Multiplies" that they declined any state assitance in paying for Josies NICU care, but that they are greatful for it's existence for people who do need to use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter