ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NightTime
by Mark Haddom
Really liked this book, daughter read for class and it was lying around house. Very new perspective with the main character suffering with autism.

(If anyone is interested in reading any of my works gladly send kindle or nook gift copies (Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, Written for You or Reigning).

Finished book #75 - Slade House by David Mitchell

This is a creepy story about a new type of haunted house. When people get trapped in the Slade House, it's hard to tell what's really happening and what's not. I enjoyed that part the best. A quick read worth checking out.

Keep your eyes peeled for a small black iron door.
Down the road from a working-class British pub, along the brick wall of a narrow alley, if the conditions are exactly right, you’ll find the entrance to Slade House. A stranger will greet you by name and invite you inside. At first, you won’t want to leave. Later, you’ll find that you can’t. Every nine years, the house’s residents—an odd brother and sister—extend a unique invitation to someone who’s different or lonely: a precocious teenager, a recently divorced policeman, a shy college student. But what really goes on inside Slade House? For those who find out, it’s already too late. . . .

Finished book #76 - The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz

I thought this YA story was a fairly good read. The main character baffled me sometimes with her choices, but I had to keep reminding myself that's she's only 14. It's harder to remember in these historical books b/c young people talked so much more mature then than they do now, plus she was pretending to be 18. Most of the book is enjoyable until she becomes lovesick. I liked the ending though.

Fourteen-year-old Joan Skraggs, just like the heroines in her beloved novels, yearns for real life and true love. But what hope is there for adventure, beauty, or art on a hardscrabble farm in Pennsylvania where the work never ends? Over the summer of 1911, Joan pours her heart out into her diary as she seeks a new, better life for herself—because maybe, just maybe, a hired girl cleaning and cooking for six dollars a week can become what a farm girl could only dream of—a woman with a future. Newbery Medalist Laura Amy Schlitz relates Joan’s journey from the muck of the chicken coop to the comforts of a society household in Baltimore (Electricity! Carpet sweepers! Sending out the laundry!), taking readers on an exploration of feminism and housework; religion and literature; love and loyalty; cats, hats, and bunions.

125/130
Fillet of Murder by Linda Reilly (Deep Fried Mysteries #1) – 3
After going through a transition, Talia finds herself working at her friend Bea’s fish and chips restaurant again. When a neighboring shop owner is murder and the police start to focus on Bea, Talia decides to start looking for the real killer.

This is the first in a series, and a lot of people seemed to love it, but it felt like it needed another draft to polish things up. The characters weren’t quite as well developed as they could have been, and the plot has some serious pacing issues. It wasn’t a bad debut, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

126/130
Suspendered Sentence by Laura Bradford (Amish Mysteries #4) – 5
When the Stolrzfus barn catches fire, the Amish community comes together for a barn raising. But in the midst of the building, bones are discovered, and they are quickly identified as those of Sadie Lehman, who disappeared 20 years before. With the mystery of her disappearance now on everyone’s mind, Claire begins to search for answers to help those she has come to love. But what really happened all those years ago?

The mystery was a tad slower than I thought it could be, but the book more than makes up for it with the characters. I’ve come to care for them, and the growth we see here is not only organic, but growth that made me very happy. These characters pulled me into the book once again, and I can hardly wait to visit them when the next in the series comes out.

127/130
Fry Another Day by J. J. Cook (Biscuit Bowl Food Truck Mysteries #2) – 3
Zoe Chase has entered her food truck in a contest across the south east, hoping to win the $50,000 prize to be able to open her diner. Before the first day of the contest, however, a competitor is found dead in his food truck. It looks like a tragic accident until more strange things start happening. What is going on?

It had been about a year and a half since I read the first in this series, but I remembered liking the characters. I was quickly reminded why, and I enjoyed journeying with them to the various stops on the race. The race creates a nice plot, and I found the various tasks and how Zoe and her crew overcame them to be plenty of fun. Sadly, the mystery was a sub-plot at best, and the rush to wrap things up at the end left me less than satisfied with that aspect of the book.

128/130
The Ghost of Mistletoe Mary by Sue Ann Jaffarian (Ghost of Granny Apples #5.5)
Retired cop turned PI Jeremiah Jones is asked to help out a vet on skid row in Los Angeles. This vet is ranting to anyone who will listen that Mistletoe Mary has been murdered. Jeremiah thinks that Mary’s ghost may be visiting and trying to get justice. Is he right? Can he team up with Granny to figure out what is happening?

While this book is set during December, it’s not your typical cozy since it is set on skid row and includes many of the types of characters you’d expect to see down there. But don’t let that stop you from reading it. Being a novella, the pace never lags. Yet the shorter length doesn’t mean we get shallow characters – they are as strong as ever in one of Sue Ann’s stories.

129/130
The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle by Laura DiSilverio (Bookclub Mysteries #2) – 5
Amy-Faye Johnson’s brother, Derek, is about to open his brewery, a moment that the entire family should be celebrating. However, the business is off to a rocky start thanks to Derek’s investment partner, Gordon Marsh, who is fighting with everyone, including Derek. The grand opening ends with Gordon’s body found in the dumpster, and the police looking at Derek. With Murder on the Orient Express fresh in their minds, Amy-Faye and her friends in the Readaholics delve into the case. But can they shift through the various suspects and motives to find the right killer?

This is a great mystery with quite a few suspects and plenty of twists that kept me guessing until the end. There is a large cast of characters, but they are all strong characters, and I had no trouble at all keeping them all straight. The ending was logical, given the real clues that were mixed in with the red herrings. The tie ins to the Christie classic were fun. And the friendships in the Readaholics is a pure joy to see.

Finished book #26/45, the Girl on the Train. I guessed the ending about halfway through but it was still a great read. I liked that the story was told from three different perspectives.

Currently finishing up the Mediator series.

12 of 12: Star Wars: Aftermath by Chuck Wendig

The second Death Star is destroyed. The Emperor and his powerful enforcer, Darth Vader, are rumored to be dead. The Galactic Empire is in chaos.

Across the galaxy, some systems celebrate, while in others Imperial factions tighten their grip. Optimism and fear reign side by side.

And while the Rebel Alliance engages the fractured forces of the Empire, a lone Rebel scout uncovers a secret Imperial meeting…

goodreads

Written in a kind of stilted stream-of-consciousness third person present tense style. It took awhile for me to be able to read the style without getting a headache. The constant switching to interludes got confusing as far as where I was in the plot (partially my fault for reading so slowly). But I liked the characters and found the plot compelling.

3 out of 5.

As an aside, one of my friends got blocked by Chuck on twitter, due to an argument about John Green (I believe).

And, if we are counting audio books:

13 of 12: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (as read by Tim Curry).

Normally I read this in December, but it's a busy month this year, so we listened to it in the car on the way back from Orlando this week. I can't say enough good things about this novella.

5 out of 5.

14 of 12: Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

It's a story about a boy and his dogs. Guess how it ends. We listened to this while on our way home from Orlando, as well. Charming and funny.

4.5 out of 5.

Last edited:
64/72

#64 Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

Yes! After a few not so good reads, finally a winner. Karin never fails to write a riveting novel tho.

'The vanishing of a teenage girl and the killing of a middle aged man, almost a quarter century apart: What could connect them? As they form a wary truce, the surviving sisters unearth the secrets that destroyed their family all those years ago...and find the astonishing truth where they least expected it.'

Great book.

Finished book #77 - Best Boy by Eli Gottlieb

This is about a grown autistic man living in a community for special needs adults. I taught special ed and had students with autism and I felt this book captures what life is like for a person with autism. The story was interesting and a good read. Some reviews for this book mentioned they found it hard to connect with the main character, but that's the whole point - He is autistic!

Sent to a “therapeutic community” for autism at the age of eleven, Todd Aaron, now in his fifties, is the “Old Fox” of Payton LivingCenter. A joyous man who rereads the encyclopedia compulsively, he is unnerved by the sudden arrivals of a menacing new staffer and a disruptive, brain-injured roommate. His equilibrium is further worsened by Martine, a one-eyed new resident who has romantic intentions and convinces him to go off his meds to feel “normal” again. Undone by these pressures, Todd attempts an escape to return “home” to his younger brother and to a childhood that now inhabits only his dreams. Written astonishingly in the first-person voice of an autistic, adult man, Best Boy―with its unforgettable portraits of Todd’s beloved mother, whose sweet voice still sings from the grave, and a staffer named Raykene, who says that Todd “reflects the beauty of His creation”―is a piercing, achingly funny, finally shattering novel no reader can ever forget.

catching up a little...

74. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
From Goodreads: In the Pacific there is an island that looks like a big fish sunning itself in the sea. Around it, blue dolphins swim, otters play, and sea elephants and sea birds abound. Once, Indians also lived on the island. And when they left and sailed to the east, one young girl was left behind. — This is the story of Karana, the Indian girl who lived alone for years on the Island of the Blue Dolphins. Year after year, she watched one season pass into another and waited for a ship to take her away. But while she waited, she kept herself alive by building shelter, making weapons, finding food, and fighting her enemies, the wild dogs. It is not only an unusual adventure of survival, but also a tale of natural beauty and personal discovery.

This is an older childrens' book but I liked it. The synopsis says it all.

75. The Orchard by Jeffrey Stepakoff
From Goodreads: Grace Lyndon is a rising ingenue in the world of perfumes and flavors; a stiletto-wearing, work-a-holic in Atlanta, she develops aromas and tastes to enthrall the senses. Dylan Jackson is a widowed single father whose heart and hands have been calloused in the fields of his North Georgia apple farm. When Grace happens to taste an apple picked from Dylan’s trees, it changes both their lives forever.

Determined to track down the apple’s origin, Grace sets off in the middle of the night where she finds not only a beautiful mountain orchard in the clouds, but the mysterious man who owns it. In Stepakoff’s heartbreaking eloquence, their sudden yet undeniable attraction is threatened—leaving readers with a momentous finale that proves Jeffrey Stepakoff is a master craftsman of the heart.

A light but fun read.

76. Worth Dying for by Lee Child
From Goodreads: There’s deadly trouble in the corn county of Nebraska . . . and Jack Reacher walks right into it. First he falls foul of the Duncans, a local clan that has terrified an entire county into submission. But it’s the unsolved, decades-old case of a missing child that Reacher can’t let go.

The Duncans want Reacher gone—and it’s not just past secrets they’re trying to hide. For as dangerous as the Duncans are, they’re just the bottom of a criminal food chain stretching halfway around the world. For Reacher, it would have made much more sense to put some distance between himself and the hard-core trouble that’s bearing down on him. For Reacher, that was also impossible.

A good Jack Reacher installation.

77. How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal
From Goodreads: Professional baker Ramona Gallagher is a master of an art that has sustained her through the most turbulent times, including a baby at fifteen and an endless family feud. But now Ramona’s bakery threatens to crumble around her. Literally. She’s one water-heater disaster away from losing her grandmother’s rambling Victorian and everything she’s worked so hard to build.

When Ramona’s soldier son-in-law is wounded in Afghanistan, her daughter, Sophia, races overseas to be at his side, leaving Ramona as the only suitable guardian for Sophia’s thirteen-year-old stepdaughter, Katie. Heartbroken, Katie feels that she’s being dumped again—this time on the doorstep of a woman out of practice with mothering.

A light read but compelling.

78 On Borrowed Time by David Rosenfelt
From goodreads: What if it were possible that your most cherished memories were lies… and that finding out the truth could cost you your life?

Richard Kilmer is head over heels in love with Jennifer Ryan, who takes him home to meet her parents, where she accepts his marriage proposal. While visiting, they set out on a nostalgic drive up to Kendrick Falls. On their way there, a freak storm rolls in, Richard loses control of his car, and it rolls. When the storm clears in a matter of seconds, Jen is gone. Richard can’t find her, and neither can the police who respond to the scene. More horrifying is that no one in Richard's life will even confirm Jen’s existence, and all traces of her have disappeared.

Where could she be? Has Richard lost his mind, or has something far worse happened?

This was really good! The author keeps the mystery flowing making you not want to put it down.

79. One Summer by David Baldacci
From Goodreads: It's almost Christmas, but there is no joy in the house of terminally ill Jack and his family. With only a short time left to live, he spends his last days preparing to say goodbye to his devoted wife, Lizzie, and their three children. Then, unthinkably, tragedy strikes again: Lizzie is killed in a car accident. With no one able to care for them, the children are separated from each other and sent to live with family members around the country. Just when all seems lost, Jack begins to recover in a miraculous turn of events. He rises from what should have been his deathbed, determined to bring his fractured family back together. Struggling to rebuild their lives after Lizzie's death, he reunites everyone at Lizzie's childhood home on the oceanfront in South Carolina. And there, over one unforgettable summer, Jack will begin to learn to love again, and he and his children will learn how to become a family once more

I had read this before but it was just sitting there so I picked it up again. It is not a typical spy/thriller that Baldacci usually writes but I actually think his non thriller books are better. This is a good one.

80. Home Run by Travis Thrasher
From Goodreads: Baseball star Cory Brand knows how to win. But off the field, he’s spiraling out of control. Haunted by old wounds and regrets, his future seems as hopeless as his past.

Until one moment—one mistake—changes everything. To save his career, Cory must go back to the town where it all began. His plan is simple: coach the local baseball team, complete a recovery program, and get out as fast as possible. Instead, he runs headfirst into memories he can’t escape ... and the love he left behind.

Faced with a second chance he never expected, Cory embarks on a journey of faith, transformation and redemption. And along the way, he discovers a powerful truth: no one is beyond the healing of God.

Apparently this book is based on the movie. I have not seen the movie but wouldn't mind. The book is pretty good exploring past and new relationships and coming to terms with mistakes made.

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated! I've read quite a number of books this year, but in looking over my list.... gosh I don't remember 90% of these books!

This is usually the time of year I ask everyone to share their favorite book/s from 2015, but I'm struggling to come up with one that was truly memorable.

I guess if I had to choose, it would be Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (runner up would be Still Alice). Both great books but nothing I would RAVE about.

How's everyone else doing? Still on track? What's been your favorite book so far?

I won't make my goal of 50 books this year. I think I had too much time waiting (without a book to read) for the e-books to come off my library's waitlist.:mad:

I don't think I had any OMG-that-was-great books this year. My favorites were probably:

The Nightingale
Girl On A Train
The Precious One

My favorite book of the year is My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry.

I'm not sure exactly how many books I have read. I have listed 77 books on this thread for the year, but my Goodreads account says I have read 87. My goal is 90. I am sure I forgot to review some books on this thread, but I don't think I missed 10.

I haven't posted on the thread in for-EV-er!!

Right now I'm in the middle of book 37 out of 46...so I'm pretty far behind. I have not been able to make time to read as much this year, we are constantly go, go, going. Yuck!

I'll have more free time during Christmas break, so I'm going to hit the books and do my best to meet my goal of 46 (which is one more than last year...I'm such a risk taker, LOL!)

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated! I've read quite a number of books this year, but in looking over my list.... gosh I don't remember 90% of these books!

This is usually the time of year I ask everyone to share their favorite book/s from 2015, but I'm struggling to come up with one that was truly memorable.

I guess if I had to choose, it would be Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (runner up would be Still Alice). Both great books but nothing I would RAVE about.

How's everyone else doing? Still on track? What's been your favorite book so far?

Like you also looking over my list of read books, can't remember most of them, lol.

I usually go way over my goal of 72 books a year by at least 20-25 books but not gonna happen this challenge. I'm at 64 and don't believe I'll get 8 more in this month.
I'm blaming it on reading several 1000++ page books this year.
I'm also training a new employee at work so there goes a big chunk of my reading time.

Mid year I had picked out a current favorite but don't remember what it was now, lol. Will have to go back and check. My favorite will probably be the one I just finished: Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NightTime
by Mark Haddom
Really liked this book, daughter read for class and it was lying around house. Very new perspective with the main character suffering with autism.

(If anyone is interested in reading any of my works gladly send kindle or nook gift copies (Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, Written for You or Reigning).

This is one of my favorite books. If you ever get the chance, there is an excellent production of it on Broadway that is very worth seeing. If you're not near NYC, keep an eye out for a travelling company. It was absolutely one of the best plays I've ever seen!

28/40 - Career of Evil, Robert Galbraith
A really good third book in (hopefully) a series. Great characters and storylines.
29/40 - Rogue Lawyer, John Grisham
Written as a series of short stories centered on one lawyer - a decent, quick read.

30/40 - A Banquet of Consequences, Elizabeth George - an Inspector Lynley mystery. One of the best she's written in a long time! The story is gripping, and the characters are well developed.

Hoping I can do my last ten in the next two weeks - now that my semester is over!! I think part of the problem I have reaching my goal is that a lot of my books run to 800 to 1000 pages!!

10 - Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett #1) - Robert McCammon - 4/5

(From Goodreads) - The Carolinas, 1699: The citizens of Fount Royal believe a witch has cursed their town with inexplicable tragedies, and they demand that beautiful widow Rachel Howarth be tried and executed for witchcraft. Presiding over the trial is traveling magistrate Issac Woodward, aided by his astute young clerk, Matthew Corbett. Believing in Rachel's innocence, Matthew will soon confront the true evil at work in Fount Royal.

After hearing damning testimony, magistrate Woodward sentences the accused witch to death by burning. Desperate to exonerate the woman he has come to love, Matthew begins his own investigation among the townspeople. Piecing together the truth, he has no choice but to vanquish a force more malevolent than witchcraft in order to save his beloved Rachel and free Fount Royal from the menace claiming innocent lives.

11 - The Midwife's Revolt - Jodi Daynard - 3.5/5

(From Goodreads) - On a dark night in 1775, Lizzie Boylston is awakened by the sound of cannons. From a hill south of Boston, she watches as fires burn in Charlestown, in a battle that she soon discovers has claimed her husband’s life.

Alone in a new town, Lizzie grieves privately but takes comfort in her deepening friendship with Abigail Adams. Soon, word spreads of Lizzie’s extraordinary midwifery and healing skills, and she begins to channel her grief into caring for those who need her. But when two traveling patriots are poisoned, Lizzie finds herself with far more complicated matters on her hands—she suspects a political plot intended to harm Abigail and her family. Determined to uncover the truth, Lizzie becomes entangled in a conspiracy that could not only destroy her livelihood—and her chance at finding love again—but also lead to the downfall of a new nation.

12 - The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1) - Robert Galbraith - 3.5/5

(From Goodreads) - A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide. After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

This is one of my favorite books. If you ever get the chance, there is an excellent production of it on Broadway that is very worth seeing. If you're not near NYC, keep an eye out for a travelling company. It was absolutely one of the best plays I've ever seen!

Is the show on Broadway the same name as the book?

Finished book #78 - Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

I didn't care for this book at all. Both the main characters are not likable. Lotto is depressed, possibly bipolar, and acts like a child. Mathilde is crazy. I hated the way the story would flip around in time constantly. It was hard to figure out when things were happening.

Every story has two sides. Every relationship has two perspectives. And sometimes, it turns out, the key to a great marriage is not its truths but its secrets. At the core of this rich, expansive, layered novel, Lauren Groff presents the story of one such marriage over the course of twenty-four years.
At age twenty-two, Lotto and Mathilde are tall, glamorous, madly in love, and destined for greatness. A decade later, their marriage is still the envy of their friends, but with an electric thrill we understand that things are even more complicated and remarkable than they have seemed. With stunning revelations and multiple threads, and in prose that is vibrantly alive and original, Groff delivers a deeply satisfying novel about love, art, creativity, and power that is unlike anything that has come before it. Profound, surprising, propulsive, and emotionally riveting, it stirs both the mind and the heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter