ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

Finished book #72 - The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

I enjoyed this story, but it was a little long. If you like Downton Abbey, you will like this story. It from the viewpoint of the housemaid on her deathbed recalling her life working for an English family and especially the 2 daughters. A number of surprises and a reveal at the end really kept the story moving.

It is the story of an aristocratic family, a house, a mysterious death and a way of life that vanished forever, told in flashback by a woman who witnessed it all and kept a secret for decades.

#36/50: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachael Joyce. Meet Harold Fry, recently retired. He lives in a small English village with his wife, Maureen, who seems irritated by almost everything he does, even down to how he butters his toast. Little differentiates one day from the next. Then one morning the mail arrives, and within the stack of quotidian minutiae is a letter addressed to Harold in a shaky scrawl from a woman he hasn’t seen or heard from in twenty years. Queenie Hennessy is in hospice and is writing to say goodbye.

Harold pens a quick reply and, leaving Maureen to her chores, heads to the corner mailbox. But then, as happens in the very best works of fiction, Harold has a chance encounter, one that convinces him that he absolutely must deliver his message to Queenie in person. And thus begins the unlikely pilgrimage at the heart of Rachel Joyce’s remarkable debut. Harold Fry is determined to walk six hundred miles from Kingsbridge to the hospice in Berwick-upon-Tweed because, he believes, as long as he walks, Queenie Hennessey will live.

Still in his yachting shoes and light coat, Harold embarks on his urgent quest across the countryside. Along the way he meets one fascinating character after another, each of whom unlocks his long-dormant spirit and sense of promise. Memories of his first dance with Maureen, his wedding day, his joy in fatherhood, come rushing back to him—allowing him to also reconcile the losses and the regrets. As for Maureen, she finds herself missing Harold for the first time in years.

And then there is the unfinished business with Queenie Hennessy.

A novel of unsentimental charm, humor, and profound insight into the thoughts and feelings we all bury deep within our hearts, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry introduces Rachel Joyce as a wise—and utterly irresistible—storyteller.

Good book, really enjoyed this.

Book #48 of 50: Cold Black Earth by Sam Reaves

From Goodreads:
When Rachel Lindstrom fled from her rural hometown in western Illinois to join the State Department and see the world, she never expected to return with her life in tatters. But after the horrors of war and a painful divorce, the only place where she can rebuild is the town she once escaped.

At home, however, there is little comfort. Her brother, still reeling from his wife’s suicide, struggles to run the family farm and raising a son. Rachel’s arrival also draws a pair of rival suitors: her brother’s handsome friend and a rough-hewn sheriff’s deputy who pined for her in high school. Romance is the last thing on Rachel’s mind, but a little comfort would be nice—except for the complications.

When a deranged killer escapes from a local prison, the far-flung farmsteads go on high alert—especially when the bodies start turning up. And in a county where the miles outnumber the people, it soon becomes clear that the madman is close behind Rachel.

#22/30: How to Start a Fire by Lisa Lutz: From Goodreads: When UC Santa Cruz roommates Anna and Kate find passed-out Georgiana Leoni on a lawn one night, they wheel her to their dorm in a shopping cart. Twenty years later, they gather around a campfire on the lawn of a New England mansion. What happens in between-the web of wild adventures, unspoken jealousies, and sudden tragedies that alter the course of their lives-is charted with sharp wit and aching sadness in this meticulously constructed novel.

Anna, the de facto leader, is fearless and restless-moving fast to stay one step ahead of her demons. Quirky, contemplative Kate is a natural sidekick but a terrible wingman ("If you go home with him, might I suggest breathing through your mouth"). And then there's George: the most desired woman in any room, and the one most likely to leave with the worst man.

Shot through with the crackling dialogue, irresistible characters, and propulsive narrative drive that make Lutz's books so beloved, How to Start a Fire pulls us deep into Anna, Kate, and George's complicated bond and pays homage to the abiding, irrational love we share with the family we choose

I gave this a 3/5. It was a real page-turner and kept me engaged, but it bounced around WAY too much. One chapter was based in maybe 2005, the next was 1998, the next 2003, etc. It was just too much to keep up with.

#23/30: Wading Home by Rosalyn Story. From Goodreads: As the shadow of Hurricane Katrina looms, Simon Fortier knows how he plans to face the storm—in his long-time home in the city’s Treme neighborhood, just as he spent so many storms before. But when Katrina’s waters rise and the city’s broken levees cause devastating floods, Simon disappears.

His son, Julian, a celebrated but down-on-his-luck trumpeter, rushes home to the city he left years before to search for a father with whom he’d been on difficult terms over preparing for the hurricane. Julian’s return to New Orleans brings him back in touch with figures from his past, loves and enemies both, and as his search for Simon takes him to the rural plot where Simon grew up, Julian is drawn deep into his troubles. As he comes to grips with his father’s likely fate and struggles to regain his trumpet chops, Julian slowly gains a deeper, richer understanding of both his father and their shared heritage.

Wading Home is an important book about one of America’s most important cities, veiled in the form of a captivating page-turner. Lyrical, accessible, compelling, and populated by a broad, fully realized cast of supporting characters, its timeless story tells how this son strives to save his father. Shaken to the core by the devastation of a city, Julian discovers the true meanings of home, family, and history.

5/5. Very powerful novel that I just couldn't put down.

#24/30: The way Life Should Be by Christina Baker Kline. From Goodreads: Angela Russo is thirty-three years old and single, stuck in a job she doesn't love and a life that seems, somehow, to have just happened. Though she inherited a flair for Italian cooking from her grandmother, she never has the time; for the past six months, her oven has held only sweaters. Tacked to her office bulletin board is a picture torn from a magazine of a cottage on the coast of Maine, a reminder to Angela that there are other ways to live, even if she can't seem to figure them out.

One day at work, Angela clicks on a tiny advertisement in the corner of her computer screen—"Do Soulmates Exist?"—and finds herself at a dating website, where she stumbles upon "MaineCatch," a thirty-five-year-old sailing instructor with ice-blue eyes. To her great surprise, she strikes up a dizzying correspondence with MaineCatch—yet as her online relationship progresses, life in the real world takes a nosedive. Interpreting this confluence of events as a sign, Angela impulsively decides to risk it all and move to Maine.

But things don't work out quite as she expected. Far from everything familiar, and with little to return to, Angela begins to rebuild her life from the ground up, moving into a tiny cottage and finding work at a local coffee shop. To make friends and make ends meet, she leads a cooking class, slowly discovering the pleasures and secrets of her new small community, and—perhaps—a way to connect her heritage to a future she is only beginning to envision.

The Way Life Should Be is about the search for the right relationship and the right life, the difficulty of finding true love, and the yearning for the home that food represents. Laced with recipes and humor, wisdom and wit, it is at once a clear-eyed portrait of Maine, a compassionate look at modern life and love, and a compelling work of literary fiction that explores the gulf between the way life is and the way we want it to be.

4/5. Enjoyable, easy read.

Book #49 of 50: Starstruck by Brenda Hiatt

From Goodreads:
Nerdy astronomy geek Marsha, M to her few friends, has never been anybody special. Orphaned as an infant and reluctantly raised by an overly-strict “aunt,” she’s not even sure who she is. M’s dream of someday escaping tiny Jewel, Indiana and making her mark in the world seems impossibly distant until hot new quarterback Rigel inexplicably befriends her. As Rigel turns his back on fawning cheerleaders to spend time with M, strange things start to happen: her acne clears up, her eyesight improves to the point she can ditch her thick glasses, and when they touch, sparks fly—literally! When M digs for a reason, she discovers deep secrets that will change her formerly humdrum life forever . . . and expose her to perils she never dreamed of. Yes, the middle of nowhere just got a lot more interesting!

Finished book #73 - The Art of Crash Landing by Melissa DeCarlo

This was an okay story. It was hard to like the main character. A few surprises at the end which made me say "WHAT THE HECK?".

Mattie Wallace has really screwed up this time. Broke and knocked up, she’s got all her worldly possessions crammed into six giant trash bags, and nowhere to go. Try as she might, Mattie can no longer deny that she really is turning into her mother, a broken alcoholic who never met a bad choice she didn’t make.
When Mattie gets news of a possible inheritance left by a grandmother she’s never met, she jumps at this one last chance to turn things around. Leaving the Florida Panhandle, she drives eight hundred miles to her mother’s birthplace—the tiny town of Gandy, Oklahoma. There, she soon learns that her mother remains a local mystery—a happy, talented teenager who inexplicably skipped town thirty-five years ago with nothing but the clothes on her back. But the girl they describe bears little resemblance to the damaged woman Mattie knew, and before long it becomes clear that something terrible happened to her mother, and it happened here. The harder Mattie digs for answers, the more obstacles she encounters. Giving up, however, isn’t an option. Uncovering what started her mother’s downward spiral might be the only way to stop her own.

#37/50 - The First Wife by Erica Spindler. Typical murder-mystery. The plot/storyline was pretty interesting. Everything else...meh. The dialogue between characters was poor. I couldn't stand how the main male character referred to his wife as "baby" several times per page. It was eye-roll worthy and way too much. Some of the characters were very poorly developed. Too bad, because I think the story itself was good.

26/40 - Circling the Sun, Paula McLain - Excellent story of pioneer aviator Beryl Markham's unusual childhood in colonial era Kenya.
27/40 - After You, Jojo Moyes - was glad to know more about Louisa - there's a third book coming, I'm sure!

Next, Career of Evil, Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling - third of a terrific series)

28/40 - Career of Evil, Robert Galbraith
A really good third book in (hopefully) a series. Great characters and storylines.
29/40 - Rogue Lawyer, John Grisham
Written as a series of short stories centered on one lawyer - a decent, quick read.

#119/130
Neverseen by Shannon Messenger (Keeper of the Lost Cities #4) – 5
Sophie Foster and her closest friends have run away to join the Black Swan. However, instead of getting many assignments in the active fight, the group are asked to train to improve their abilities. A growing plague affecting the gnomes leads to questions about what the Council is really doing. When a dangerous assignment does come their way, will Sophie and her friends be ready?

This book is another fantastic entry in the middle grade fantasy series. The world is so richly detailed, and we get to explore more of it. Likewise, the characters are wonderful, and the development we get here makes them even more real. The story never lost my interest, which is something for a 700 page book, and we get some revelations and twists that left me anxious for the next book in the series.

#120/130
A Body to Spare by Sue Ann Jaffarian (Odelia Grey #10) – 5
Odelia’s day of running errands come to an abrupt end when the attendants at the car wash pop her trunk and find a dead body there. Who was he in life? And why would someone leave him for Odelia to find?

From that simple premise comes another fun adventure for Odelia and the rest of the crew. The plots twists to some unexpected places. The characters are charming and wonderful as always. Add in a dash of wit and you’ve got another winner. I rest most of it in 24 hours, and I’m already anxious for Odelia’s next adventure.

#121/130
Free Fall by Robert Crais (Cole/Pike #4) – 4
Jennifer is sure that her boyfriend Mark is in trouble, so she hires PI Elvis Cole to find out what is going on. Elvis thinks he’s found an easy solution, but then he digs a little deeper and begins to uncover something much more serious. Can Elvis help Mark and Jennifer, or is he in over his head?

The story quickly built into another thrilling read, and I was glued to the page waiting to see how it would all turn out. The characters are good, although I still find Cole’s partner Pike to be unbelievable. Despite that flaw, I enjoyed this departure from my normal cozy mystery diet.

#122/130
I Really Like Slop! by Mo Willems – 5
It’s lunch time, and Piggie has whipped up a batch of her favorite treat – slop. And she wants to share it with her best friend – Gerald. Will he try it? Will he like it if he does?

Yes, this is a variation on Green Eggs and Ham, but the execution is flawless. There are plenty of laughs, both from Gerald’s reaction and some of what Piggie says. Plus, the moral about it being okay if you don’t like something as long as you tried it is perfectly done and a natural part of the book.

#123/130
The Abominable Snowman by R. A. Montgomery (Choose Your Own Adventure #1) – 5
In this book, you are the star and the choices you make determine the outcome. You are a mountain climber out to capture proof that the Yeti exists. When you arrive, your friend Carlos is already in the field, but you can’t reach him by radio. What do you do? Think carefully because your choices could make your career or lead to certain doom.

I read some of these as a kid and enjoyed them, and it was fun to revisit the series with this book. The story is fun, although some of the choices get pretty wild. When I allowed myself to enjoy that, I really got in to seeing what would happen to me next. Kids today will be just as delighted with this book as I was when I was a kid.

#124/130
Going, Going, Ganache by Jenn McKinlay (Cupcake Bakery Mysteries #5) – 5

When a photo shoot for Southwest Style turns into a disaster, Mel and Angie find themselves hosting a cupcake boot camp as a team building exercise for the fractured magazine staff. The second morning, Mel finds out of the staff members murdered behind her shop. With the prime suspects in her bakery, can Mel figure out who the killer is?

This is a wonderful addition to the series, and it is easy to see why the series has so many fans. The characters, main and new, are all strong. The mystery provides plenty of tension, suspects, and red herrings, and a couple of sub-plots involving the main characters will keep series fans engrossed as well. Add to that delicious cupcake recipes in the back, and you’ve got a winner.

Finished Book #74 - We Never Asked for Wings by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

(3.5 stars) This is a good story, but not as good as Language of Flowers. It covers teen pregnancy, single motherhood, illegal immigration, poverty, & bullying which makes for too much going on. Plus, the mom's life which started as a disaster at the beginning of the story ends up all nice and tidy by the end thanks to wealthy men to the rescue. Just wasn't believable. Her first book gave insight into flowers, this book gives insight into birds.

For fourteen years, Letty Espinosa has worked three jobs around San Francisco to make ends meet while her mother raised her children—Alex, now fifteen, and Luna, six—in their tiny apartment on a forgotten spit of wetlands near the bay. But now Letty’s parents are returning to Mexico, and Letty must step up and become a mother for the first time in her life.
Navigating this new terrain is challenging for Letty, especially as Luna desperately misses her grandparents and Alex, who is falling in love with a classmate, is unwilling to give his mother a chance. Letty comes up with a plan to help the family escape the dangerous neighborhood and heartbreaking injustice that have marked their lives, but one wrong move could jeopardize everything she’s worked for and her family’s fragile hopes for the future.

#62 Raven Black by Ann Cleeves

From the jacket:
It is a cold January morning and Shetland lies beneath a deep layer of snow. Trudging home, Fran Hunter's eye is drawn to a splash of color on the frozen ground, ravens circling above. It is the strangled body of her teenage neighbor, Catherine.
The locals on the quiet island stubbornly focus their gaze on one man--loner and simpleton Magnus Tait. But when detective Jimmy Perez and his colleagues from the mainland insist on opening out the investigation a veil of suspicion and fear is thrown over the entire community. For the first time in years, Catherine's neighbors nervously lock their doors, while a killer lives on in their midst.

Ann Cleeves is sure to dazzle U.S. mystery readers with this unforgettable series debut. NOT!

This is a very forgettable book and I will not be reading the others in the series. Supposedly a "riveting" read was very boring to me and only finished it because I had nothing else on hand to read, lol.

Finished Book #74 - We Never Asked for Wings by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

(3.5 stars) This is a good story, but not as good as Language of Flowers. It covers teen pregnancy, single motherhood, illegal immigration, poverty, & bullying which makes for too much going on. Plus, the mom's life which started as a disaster at the beginning of the story ends up all nice and tidy by the end thanks to wealthy men to the rescue. Just wasn't believable. Her first book gave insight into flowers, this book gives insight into birds.

For fourteen years, Letty Espinosa has worked three jobs around San Francisco to make ends meet while her mother raised her children—Alex, now fifteen, and Luna, six—in their tiny apartment on a forgotten spit of wetlands near the bay. But now Letty’s parents are returning to Mexico, and Letty must step up and become a mother for the first time in her life.
Navigating this new terrain is challenging for Letty, especially as Luna desperately misses her grandparents and Alex, who is falling in love with a classmate, is unwilling to give his mother a chance. Letty comes up with a plan to help the family escape the dangerous neighborhood and heartbreaking injustice that have marked their lives, but one wrong move could jeopardize everything she’s worked for and her family’s fragile hopes for the future.

You had the same impressions I did about the book. I liked it but not nearly as good as her first book.

Book #94 Amish Knitting Circle by Karen Anna Vogel

Book #95 Amish Knitting Circle 2 by Karen Anna Vogel

Book #96 Knit Lit Circle by Karen Anna Vogel

Book #97 Amish Knitting Circle #4 by Karen Anna Vogel

Book #98 Amish Knit and Crochet by Karen Anna Vogel

Book #99 The Queen's Rival by Carolly Erickson

Book #100 Taming the Queen by Phillipa Gregory

And I finished my reading goal

Book #50 of 50: Until the End of the World by Sarah Lyons Fleming

From Goodreads:
Cassie Forrest isn't surprised to learn that the day she’s decided to get her life together is also the day the world ends. After all, she’s been on a self-imposed losing streak since her survivalist parents died: she’s stopped painting, broken off her engagement to Adrian and dated a real jerk. Rectifying her mistakes has to wait, however, because Cassie and her friends have just enough time to escape Brooklyn for her parents’ cabin before Bornavirus LX turns them into zombies, too.

This is difficult enough, but Cassie’s tag along ex-boyfriend and her friend’s bratty sister have a knack for making everything, even the apocalypse, more unpleasant. When the two attract a threat as deadly as the undead to their safe haven, Cassie’s forced to see how far she’ll go to protect those she loves. And it’s a lot farther than she’d anticipated. This, coupled with Adrian’s distant voice on Safe Zone Radio and, of course, the living dead, threaten to put Cassie right back into the funk she just dragged herself out of.

Survival’s great and all, especially when you have leather armor, good friends and home-brewed beer, but there’s something Cassie must do besides survive: tell Adrian she still loves him. And to do that, Cassie has to find faith that she’s stronger than she thinks, she’s still a crack shot and true love never dies.

I finished book #25/45 Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. It was good with a decent twist at the end that I didn't really expect.

Next up is The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I definitely am not reaching my goal this year. I'll have to adjust for next year.

#63/72

The Never List by Koethi Zan

From the jacket:
For years, best friends Sarah and Jennifer kept what they called the Never List: A list of actions to be avoided, or safety's sake, at all costs. But one night, against their best instincts, they accept a cab ride with grave, everlasting consequence. For the next 3 years they are held captive with 2 other girls in a dungeon like cellar by a connoisseur of sadism.
Ten years later, at thirty one, Sarah is still struggling to resume a normal life, unable to come to grips with the fact hat Jennifer didn't make it out of that cellar. Now he abductor is up for parole and Sarah can no longer ignore the twisted letters he sends from jail.

This was pretty good at the beginning then faltered a little towards the end but all in all a good one.

#38/50: Girl in the Dark, A Memoir by Anna Lyndsey: Anna Lyndsey was young and ambitious and worked hard; she had just bought an apartment; she was falling in love. Then what started as a mild intolerance to certain kinds of artificial light developed into a severe sensitivity to all light. Now, at the worst times, Anna is forced to spend months on end in a blacked-out room, where she loses herself in audiobooks and elaborate word games in an attempt to ward off despair. During periods of relative remission, she can venture out cautiously at dawn and dusk into a world that, from the perspective of her cloistered existence, is filled with remarkable beauty. And through it all there is Pete, her love and her rock, without whom her loneliness seems boundless. One day Anna had an ordinary life, and then the unthinkable happened. But even impossible lives, she learns, endure. Girl in the Dark is a tale of an unimaginable fate that becomes a transcendent love story. It brings us to an extraordinary place from which we emerge to see the light and the world anew.

#39/50: Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll: Great book! I won't give synopsis because I think this has been reviewed a few times here and is currently a "popular" book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter