• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

9 of 12: Tarkin by James Luceno.

Bestselling Star Wars veteran James Luceno gives Grand Moff Tarkin the Star Wars: Darth Plagueis treatment, bringing a legendary character from A New Hope to full, fascinating life.

He’s the scion of an honorable and revered family. A dedicated soldier and distinguished legislator. Loyal proponent of the Republic and trusted ally of the Jedi Order. Groomed by the ruthless politician and Sith Lord who would be Emperor, Governor Wilhuff Tarkin rises through the Imperial ranks, enforcing his authority ever more mercilessly . . . and zealously pursuing his destiny as the architect of absolute dominion.

Goodreads

3 out of 5. A book about evil imperial Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing in the original Star Wars). Gives part of his backstory, and tells a tale about the early construction of the Death Star. Dragged a little in the middle. The resolution was out of left field. Not bad, but not great.

Up next: Images of America: Saucon Valley (not sure if I'm going to count that) and then Devoted in Death by J. D. Robb.

19/40 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. **1/2 out of *****

Finished book #57 - The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

This is quite a unique story. It is bizarre, funny, horrifying, sad, awesome, and crazy. You are surprised by events that happen throughout the story as no one can predict this story! Multiple times while reading, I had to stop to say "Wait what just happened?". Some parts are quite brutal though. I really liked the main character Carolyn too. The story is out there though so if you're not a fan of fantasy, you may not like this.

A missing God.
A library with the secrets to the universe.
A woman too busy to notice her heart slipping away.
Carolyn's not so different from the other people around her. She likes guacamole and cigarettes and steak. She knows how to use a phone. Clothes are a bit tricky, but everyone says nice things about her outfit with the Christmas sweater over the gold bicycle shorts.
After all, she was a normal American herself once.
That was a long time ago, of course. Before her parents died. Before she and the others were taken in by the man they called Father.
In the years since then, Carolyn hasn't had a chance to get out much. Instead, she and her adopted siblings have been raised according to Father's ancient customs. They've studied the books in his Library and learned some of the secrets of his power. And sometimes, they've wondered if their cruel tutor might secretly be God.
Now, Father is missing—perhaps even dead—and the Library that holds his secrets stands unguarded. And with it, control over all of creation.
As Carolyn gathers the tools she needs for the battle to come, fierce competitors for this prize align against her, all of them with powers that far exceed her own.
But Carolyn has accounted for this.
And Carolyn has a plan.
The only trouble is that in the war to make a new God, she's forgotten to protect the things that make her human.

#21 of 50: Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradel: Not overly sure how this book got it's title, but it was a nice little story about Eva who was born to a chef and a sommalier in a midwest town. Loses both her parents but has inherited an incredible "taste palette" from her parents. Each chapter revolves around Eva somehow, but with the different people she meets throughout her childhood through her 30s. Food is a big part of this novel.

#22 of 50: The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty: Cute chick-lit book. Typical love story with a stalker twist added.

I am bookless now so not sure what I will do with myself!

Book #40 of 50: Taste For Trouble by Susan Sey
Book #41 of 50: Talent For Trouble by Susan Sey
Book #42 of 50: Time For Trouble by Susan Sey

I'm in the awkward phase of waiting for one of my holds to come through. I'm currently not reading anything!

Finished book #58 - The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro

I really liked this story. I wanted it to continue to find out more changes she makes in her life. Loved the descriptions of the perfumes & wished I could smell them too. I did figure out the big secret early, but there was more to it that surprised me. One character even comments to the main character when she finally finds out, something like "Didn't it go through your mind that this is why you are being left the inheritance?" Almost like a "DUH! Everyone else has figured it out but you" which I thought was funny.

Newlywed Grace Monroe doesn’t fit anyone’s expectations of a successful 1950s London socialite, least of all her own. When she receives an unexpected inheritance from a complete stranger, Madame Eva d’Orsey, Grace is drawn to uncover the identity of her mysterious benefactor.
Weaving through the decades, from 1920s New York to Monte Carlo, Paris, and London, the story Grace uncovers is that of an extraordinary women who inspired one of Paris’s greatest perfumers. Immortalized in three evocative perfumes, Eva d’Orsey’s history will transform Grace’s life forever, forcing her to choose between the woman she is expected to be and the person she really is.

Happy Labor Day!

18/40 - We Never Asked for Wings, Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Very different from The Language of Flowers, but very interesting. It gives you something to think about on our nation's immigrant issues.
19/40 - The Sunday Philosophy Club #1 - Alexander McCall Smith
An okay read - the main character got a little annoying so I don't think I'll continue the series.
20/40 - All the Single Ladies, Dorothea Benton Frank
A decent beach read - real "chick lit" kind of story - a little above okay.
Yippee! Finally made it halfway!
Next up - Second Nature by Alice Hoffman. Hoping it's close to The Marriage of Opposites.

81/120
It’s a Magical World by Bill Watterson – 5
The final collection of Calvin and Hobbes send our heroes off in style. Even 20 years later, the jokes are still fun and funny.

82/120
Malice at the Palace by Rhys Bowen (Royal Spyness #9) – 4
There is going to be a royal wedding, and the Queen has asked Georgie to help the bride-to-be acclimate to her new home in England. However, when Georgie discovers a body just outside the palace, she has to work to uncover the killer while everyone keeps the murder a secret to avoid a royal scandal.

It’s always a treat to revisit Georgie, and this book is no exception. We are transported back to 1934 London and given a bit of history as the fictional plot is based on some real people and events. The characters are a delight as always, and the story comes to a logical ending. Unfortunately, one aspect of that ending was a bit weak, and a recycled sub-plot involving Georgie’s love life kept the book from being the author’s best work.

83/120
Shunned and Dangerous by Laura Bradford (Amish Mysteries #3) – 4
While exploring a corn maze, Claire Weatherly stumbles upon the body of Harley Zook. This Amish man was very kind; in fact, he was one of the few who has stood up for detective Jakob Fisher after Jakob left the Amish community to become a detective, which lead to Jakob being shunned. With the evidence pointing to Jakob’s father, Claire will have to once again act as an intermediary to find the killer.

As I’ve come to expect with this series, the characters are strong and so compelling that they really pull you into the story. The plot is good with some nice twists before the end. I am growing a little tired of Claire and how upset she is by how Jakob is treating. While I agree with her that it isn’t right, it is who they are, and getting mad and raising her voice to people isn’t going to change anything. Still, I am enjoying this series.

84/120
The Syndrome by Ridley Pearson (Kingdom Keepers #8) – 4
When Amanda can’t reach any of the Kingdom Keepers for a few days, she travels from California to Florida to try to find them – only when she arrives, she discovers it is worse than she feared. Meanwhile, Jess is having visions again that show Amanda might be in danger. What is going on?

How could this DisNerd not love this series, and the transition book to a new story is filled once again with twists, danger, and lots of fun. The scenes in the parks are exceptionally well done as always, plus I felt that we really got to know Amanda and Jess in this book. The first person narration does alternate between several people, and it works well, although at times I feel like it needlessly repeats scenes. My biggest complaint is sloppy editing, however.

85/120
Death by Tiara by Laura Levine (Jaine Austen #13) – 5
Jaine takes on the job of writing the song lyrics for a beauty pageant contestant and finds herself in the high passion world of local beauty contests. Things are so heated that it’s hardly a surprise when a dead body turns up. But with her client at the top of the suspect list, Jaine will have to act fast to find the killer.

As always this book is a pure delight. The many sub-plots keep things moving right along, and the mystery is wrapped up in a logical fashion. The characters are a little out there, but that is definitely part of the fun of the series. They contribute to the laughs, which are plentiful. This is definitely light reading but lots of fun.

86/120
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie – 5
When Poirot is called back to England, he must forgo a planned layover in Istanbul and find a berth on a surprisingly crowded train. A freak snow storm strands the train on the tracks, and that night a murder takes place. The victim had come to Poirot because he feared that his life was in danger. With the train stuck, the killer is still on board. But who could it be?

I had not read this book before, but I still knew the ending. Even knowing that, I was enthralled watching how it all played out. There is a reason that Agatha Christie is considered the queen of plots to this day. I also found the characters strong enough that I could keep them all straight, and there are plenty of suspects.

87/120
If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligators to School, Don’t! by Elise Parsley – 5
It’s nature day at show and tell, and Magnolia has come up with the perfect thing to bring – an alligator. However, when he misbehaves and gets her into trouble, she begins to wonder if it will be worth it in the end.

This is a delightful picture books filled with fun and laughs. Some of those laughs are in the pictures themselves, so be sure to look closely at them. While the book has a main character, the narration is second person, which you don’t see too often but seems to work here. I certainly enjoyed this debut by a new author and am looking forward to seeing what she does next.

88/120
Lord of the Wings by Donna Andrews (Meg Langslow #19) – 5
The town of Caerphilly is hosting the first annual Halloween festival, and Meg is hoping she can take it easy since she is only in charge of the Goblin Patrol, the extra volunteer security force. However, a break in at the haunted house, a foot in the alligators, and a dead body complicate matters.

I love this series, and this book is another fun addition. When I realized it was set at Halloween, I almost set it aside until October, but I just couldn’t wait. The characters are strong and charming as always, and the various aspects of the plot keep things moving forward quickly. I was disappointed that one character introduced a couple books back is once again absent, but that is my only complaint in another fantastic read.

89/120
Commander Toad in Space by Jane Yolen - 5
Commander Toad and the crew of the Star Warts are ready to explore a new planet made entirely of water. After landing on their inflatable lily pad, they discover they are not alone. Is this planet friendly?

This is a fun adventure that introduces us to Toad and his crew. The story is fasted pace, the easy reader vocabulary is perfect, and the pictures are fun. There are some nice puns, and adults will get a kick out of the science fiction spoofs.

90/120
The Mystery at Maypenny’s by Kathryn Kenny (Trixie Belden #31) – 3
When International Pine wants to expand their furniture factory in Sleepyside, the town and the Bob-Whites become divided. But it’s Mr. Maypenny who may be effected the most. What is happening on his property?

Sadly, this is a weak entry in the series. The mystery is shoehorned in with Trixie getting most of her answers in a few data dumps late in the book. The factory plot takes center stage most of the time and gives a good view of the pro-jobs side of things but leaves the environmental side of things weak. On the other hand, the characters are strong and we get to see more of Dan than normal.

I've read two pretty good "light" books this past week:

#23/50: Goodnight June by Sarah Jio: June is a pretty hard-core financial banker that works in business foreclosures. Her beloved Aunt Ruby, who owns a children's bookstore in a Seattle suburb, dies and leaves her the bookstore. June returns to the bookstore to pack it up and sell it and finds out the bookstore is in serious financial trouble. Along with that, Aunt Ruby, leaves June a scavenger hunt of clues to find old letters between Ruby and Margaret Wise Brown, the author of Goodnight Moon. It's there that June finds a deep friendship between Ruby and famous author, along with discovering that her aunt's bookstore was the inspiration for Goodnight Moon. June also finds out many family secrets that change her entire life.

I really enjoyed this book. Nice pacing, good characters, and a nice, happy ending.

#24/50: Five Days Left by Julie Lawson Timmer: This book I picked up out of desperation as I had nothing to read. There were no holds on it at the library and I've heard nothing about it. I was prepared for a bad book. But what a surprise! It was VERY good albeit a little depressing in parts.

This is about two people, Mara and Scott. Neither of their stories is related except by one small thread: they are "internet forum" buddies on an adoptive-parent forum. Mara was adopted herself and has an adoptive daughter. Scott is a middle-school teacher who happens to be temporarily fostering a young, inner-city boy who is the brother of one of his BEST students. This book tells each story through alternating chapters. Mara and Scott are both at critical times in their life where, in the next five days, a devastating event will happen to each of them (one due to disease, the other involving the foster child).

I read this book very quickly as I was dying to see what would happen at the end. Very good character development, very good research by the author on both issues affecting the subjects of the book. I believe this is a first novel for this author but I am going to watch for more!

Remember Mia

First I remember the darkness.
Then I remember the blood.
I don’t know where my daughter is.

Estelle Paradise wakes up in a hospital after being found near dead at the bottom of a ravine with a fragmented memory and a vague sense of loss. Then a terrifying reality sets in: her daughter is missing.

Days earlier, Estelle discovered her baby’s crib empty in their Brooklyn apartment. There was no sign of a break-in, but all traces of seven-month-old Mia had disappeared. Her diapers, her clothes, her bottles—all gone.

Frustrated and unable to explain her daughter’s disappearance, Estelle begins a desperate search. But when the lack of evidence casts doubt on her story, Estelle becomes the number one suspect in the eyes of the police and the media.

As hope of reuniting with Mia becomes all she has left, Estelle will do anything to find answers: What has she done to her baby? And what has someone else done to her?

Book #69 The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini

book #70 Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman

Book #71 Detour by Cheryl Crane

Book #72 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham

Book #73 Fables Vol 1-10 by Bill Willingham

Book #74 A Break with Charity by Ann Rinaldi

Book #75 Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant

Book #76 Matilda by Roald Dahl

Book #77 Waking up Catholic by Chad R. Togerson

Book #78 Fables 11-16 by Bill Willingham

Book #79 Werewolves of the Heartland by Bill Willingham

#10 Inferno by Dan Brown
I liked this much more than the third book in the series but not nearly as much as Davinci Code or Angels and Demons.
It was not nearly as formula driven as the first three and I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting to after the third.
It seemed bigger than prior three and maybe should have been a little smaller.

If anyone is interested in reading any of my works gladly send gift kindle or nook copies (Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, Written for You or Reigning).

Cogswel_Cogs, Jun 27, 2015 Edit Report

Last edited:
Behind once again - and seriously doubt I wil be reaching my goal!

#7/25 - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (reviewed here already)

#8/25 - The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (reviewed here already)

#9/25 - Dead Wake by Erik Larson - The story of the Lusitania's final crossing. Great read!

#10/25 - Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson - Subtitled "A Man,A Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History", it's about a killer storm that struck Galveston, Texas in September, 1900. Not Larson's best but still compelling (once you get past the weather lessons)

91/120
Cinderella Six Feet Under by Maia Chance (Fairy Tale Fatal #2) – 4
Ophelia and Prue have traveled to Paris where they hope to reunite Prue with her mother. Instead, they find that Prue’s mother is missing and there is a dead body in Prue’s step-family’s home – a body wearing a ball gown and only one slipper. Then Gabriel shows up and insists that’s not the only tie in to Cinderella.

The combination of fairy tale with cozy mystery is successful once again. There are a couple of plot points that seem a bit rough, but for the most part the story is a fun, fast paces romp. I love the trio at the heart of the series, and the rest of the cast is just as sharp and fun. I already can’t wait to see where they go next.

92/120
Trick or Deceit by Shelley Freydont (Celebration Bay #4) – 5
The first annual haunted house contest in Celebration Bay ends in tragedy when the winning house is vandalized and a dead body is found in with the fake body parts. Is the jealous runner up to blame? Who else might have wanted to kill the victim?

This is my fourth trip to Celebration Bay in the last year, and I’ve enjoyed each of them. Once again, the book provides some unique clues and red herrings that I found lots of fun. It was great to visit the core characters again, although I wish we would see a bit more character growth in a few of them. The new characters are just as charming. This is a great stop for your Halloween (or any time of the year) reading list.

93/120
That is Not a Good Idea! by Mo Williems – 5
When a Fox invites a Chicken to join him for a walk in the forest, it is not a good idea. And as things continue to unfold, the bad ideas continue to evolve. But who are they bad ideas for?

This is another unique picture book from Mo Willems with pictures on some pages and dialogue on others, kind of like an old silent film. Then there’s a Greek chorus of baby chicks constantly giving the warning in the title. The end of the book contains a great laugh, making this book so much fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter