Book #61 Secrets of Versailles by Nicolas Jacquet

Book #62 Juliet's Nurse by Lois Leveen

Book #63 Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth

Book #64 The Biography of Casanova Vol. 1 by Giacomo Casanova

Book #65 Never Judge a Lady by her cover by Sarah MacLean

Book #66 The Contessa's Vendetta by Mirella Sichirollo Patzer

Book #67 The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

Book #68 Bourbon Kings of France by Desmond Seward

#19/30: Bird in Hand by Christina Baker Kline: From Goodreads: The accident was just that -- an accident. It was dark, it was raining, Alison had two drinks in her, and the other car ran the stop sign. She just didn't get out of the way fast enough. But now a little boy -- not her own -- is dead, and Alison finds herself trapped under the twin burdens of grief and guilt, and feeling increasingly estranged from her husband . . .

Charlie, who has his own burdens. He's in a job he doesn't love so that Alison can stay home with the kids (and why isn't she more grateful for that?); he has a house in the suburbs and a long commute to and from the city each day. And the only thing can focus on these days is his secret, sudden affair with . . .

Claire, Alison's best friend. Bold where Alison is reserved; vibrant where Alison is demure, Claire has just had her first novel published, a thinly-veiled retelling of her childhood in South Carolina (which is also Alison's, in a sense). But even in the whirlwind of publication, Claire can't stop wondering if she should leave her husband . . .

Ben, an architect who is thoughtful, kind, and patient. And who wants nothing more than a baby, or two -- in fact, exactly the kind of life that Charlie and Alison have . . .

Four people, two marriages, one lifelong friendship: everything is about to change.

I gave it 4 stars. Not as good as Orphan Train, but much better than Desire Lines

#20/30: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. From Goodreads: ''Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever.''

For Marie-Laure, blind since the age of six, the world is full of mazes. The miniature of a Paris neighbourhood, made by her father to teach her the way home. The microscopic layers within the invaluable diamond that her father guards in the Museum of Natural History. The walled city by the sea, where father and daughter take refuge when the Nazis invade Paris. And a future which draws her ever closer to Werner, a German orphan, destined to labour in the mines until a broken radio fills his life with possibility and brings him to the notice of the Hitler Youth.

5 stars. I loved it. The first 20 pages or so were slow, and then I couldn't put it down. Very well written.

Finished book #53 - The Bones of You by Debbie Howells

I didn't like this book much. The main character, Kate, was so annoying. Her character, an adult woman, acted like a flighty teenager who believed everything she was told and couldn't reason out anything at all on her own. The author made the main character so clueless so she couldn't figure out what was going on, but seriously, who is that clueless??? I also figured out who killed the girl mid way through. At least this was a quick read so it didn't waste too much of my time.

When Kate receives a phone call with news that Rosie Anderson is missing, she’s stunned and disturbed. Rosie is eighteen, the same age as Kate’s daughter, and a beautiful, quiet, and kind young woman. Though the locals are optimistic—girls like Rosie don’t get into real trouble—Kate’s sense of foreboding is confirmed when Rosie is found fatally beaten and stabbed.
Who would kill the perfect daughter, from the perfect family? Yet the more Kate entwines herself with the Andersons—graceful mother Jo, renowned journalist father Neal, watchful younger sister Delphine—the more she is convinced that not everything is as it seems. Anonymous notes arrive, urging Kate to unravel the tangled threads of Rosie’s life and death, though she has no idea where they will lead.
Weaving flashbacks from Rosie’s perspective into a tautly plotted narrative, The Bones of You is a gripping, haunting novel of sacrifices and lies, desperation and love.

Next book: Undertow

Finished book #54 - Undertow by Michael Buckley

This is a YA book that will be a series. I didn't really care for it. Sea creatures come out of the ocean and grow legs and lungs near Coney Island. People make them stay only on the beaches & there's lots of animosity. Teens may like this.

Sixteen-year-old Lyric Walker’s life is forever changed when she witnesses the arrival of 30,000 Alpha, a five-nation race of ocean-dwelling warriors, on her beach in Coney Island. The world’s initial wonder and awe over the Alpha quickly turns ugly and paranoid and violent, and Lyric’s small town transforms into a military zone with humans on one side and Alpha on the other. When Lyric is recruited to help the crown prince, a boy named Fathom, assimilate, she begins to fall for him. But their love is a dangerous one, and there are forces on both sides working to keep them apart. Only, what if the Alpha are not actually the enemy? What if they are in fact humanity’s best chance for survival? Because the real enemy is coming. And it’s more terrifying than anything the world has ever seen.

Goal 72

#48 I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

I like most YA books but this one was a little too juvenile for me, lol. Supposed to be first of a series but I won't bother with the others.

Finished book #55 - Those Girls by Chevy Stevens

Wow, this was hard to read. Horribly bad things happen to these sisters. I had to put the book down for a couple days because it was too much. At least the story doesn't go into too much details on what the men do to them. I felt for the girls and liked the youngest sister as the narrator. There were parts of the story where I was yelling at one of the girls to run. Powerful story.

Life has never been easy for the three Campbell sisters. Jess, Courtney, and Dani live on a remote ranch in Western Canada where they work hard and try to stay out of the way of their father's temper. One night, a fight gets out of hand and the sisters are forced to go on the run, only to get caught in an even worse nightmare when their truck breaks down in a small town. As events spiral out of control they find themselves in a horrifying situation and are left with no choice but to change their names and create new lives.
Eighteen years later, they are still trying to forget what happened that summer. But when one of the sisters goes missing, followed closely by her niece, they are pulled back into the past. And this time there's nowhere left to run.

#27 - 34/45:

Ice Man Cometh by C. T. Wente (2/5)
Crooked Little Lies by Barbara Taylor Sissel (3.5/5)
Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbott (British police investigators)(4/5)
Die Again by Tess Gerritson (Rizzoli and Isles)(4.5/5)
The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil (3.5/5)
The Black Ice by Michael Connelly (Bosch) (4/5)
Crow Hollow by Michael Wallace (3/5)
Only the Innocent by Rachel Abbott (3/5)

8/40 - Sycamore Road - John Grisham
9/40 - At the Water's Edge - Sara Gruen
10/40 - Inside the O'Briens - Lisa Genove
11/40 - In the Unlikely Event - Judy Blume
12/40 - Radiant Angel - Nelson DeMille
13/40 - Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee
14/40 - Red Sparrow - Jason Matthews
15/40 - The Girl You Left Behind - Jojo Moyes
16/40 - The Sunday Philosophy Club - Alexander McCall Smith

Finished 7/20, Go Set a Watchman, last night. The best I can say about it is that I enjoyed reading a different perspective on characters I was already familiar with but I don't see any other reason to read it beyond that. I have no idea what I'm reading next, I guess I'll look around the house for something I haven't read until I can order something else. There are so many things I'd love to read right now but I don't have them in my possession!

Just finished #40/65-"Southern Lights" by Danielle Steel. Up until the last 10% of the book, it was definitely a 5. But the last 10% of the book just kind of raced along, with a "This happened", then "That happened" and then it got totally wrapped up. I really could have done without the last 10% of the book, which dropped it to a 4 star.

I started reading Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans and only made it to pg 40 after 3 days. I started skimming to see if it gets better, but ended up just returning it back to the library. I rarely quit on a book, but I couldn't get into it.

I am now reading Black Eyed Susans which has me interested.

17/40 - The Marriage of Opposites - Alice Hoffman
One of the best written books I've read in a long time! Very interesting story of Camille Pissaro's mother.

#19/24
All Fall Down
by Jennifer Weiner

From Amazon:
Allison Weiss got her happy endinga handsome husband, adorable daughter, a job she loves, and the big house in the suburbs. But while waiting in the pediatrician’s office, she opens a magazine to a quiz about addiction and starts to wonder…Is a Percocet at the end of the day really different from a glass of wine? Is it such a bad thing to pop a Vicodin after a brutal Jump & Pump class…or if your husband ignores you?

The pills help her manage the realities of her good-looking life: that her husband is distant, that her daughter is acting out, that her father’s Alzheimer’s is worsening and her mother is barely managing to cope. She tells herself that they let her make it through her days…but what if her increasing drug use, a habit that’s becoming expensive and hard to hide, is turning into her biggest problem of all?
This book was an easy read. The main character was annoying but I guess it was inline with how her personality would be if you're on drugs. It's scary to think how quickly these pills can take over your life and make you risk everything.

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

#20/24
The Murderer's Daughters
by Randy Susan Meyers

From Amazon:
Lulu and Merry's childhood was never ideal, but on the day before Lulu's tenth birthday their father propels them into a nightmare. He's always hungered for the love of the girls' self-obsessed mother; after she throws him out, their troubles turn deadly. Lulu had been warned not let her father in, but when he shows up drunk, he's impossible to ignore. He bullies his way past Lulu, who then listens in horror as her parents struggle. She runs for help, but discovers upon her return that he's murdered her mother, stabbed her five-year-old sister, Merry, and tried, unsuccessfully, to kill himself.
Lulu and Merry are effectively orphaned by their mother's death and father's imprisonment. The girls' relatives refuse to care for them and abandon them to a terrifying group home. Even as they plot to be taken in by a well-to-do family, they come to learn they'll never really belong anywhere or to anyone--that all they have to hold onto is each other.
For thirty years, the sisters try to make sense of what happened. Their imprisoned father is a specter in both their lives, shadowing every choice they make. One spends her life pretending he's dead, while the other feels compelled--by fear, by duty--to keep him close. Both dread the day his attempts to win parole may meet with success.
A beautifully written, compulsively readable debut, The Murderer's Daughters is a testament to the power of family and the ties that bind us together and tear us apart.

This book was EXCELLENT! It's hard to believe that this was the author's debut novel. I thought the relationship between the two sisters was very realistic. Lulu was the older one and felt responsible for Merry because she felt guilty for letting her father in when he killed her mother.

I'd give this one 5 stars.

Next Up: Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner

Finished book #56 - Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin

I was pulled into this book quickly & kept reading quickly to find out who the murderer was. The story is told by present day adult Tessa and in the past by teenage Tessie. I liked the way the author would leave you hanging at the end of some chapters to then have to read through the next chapter to get back to that scene. I liked that the other Susans haunted her mind. The big reveal was kind of lame that she can't remember for 17 years then BAM "I remember!". I wish there were more details into how she was grabbed and what he did to her and the other girls once she remembers, not just who he is. I'd recommend this though.

I am the star of screaming headlines and campfire ghost stories.I am one of the four Black-Eyed Susans. The lucky one.
As a sixteen-year-old, Tessa Cartwright was found in a Texas field, barely alive amid a scattering of bones, with only fragments of memory as to how she got there. Ever since, the press has pursued her as the lone surviving “Black-Eyed Susan,” the nickname given to the murder victims because of the yellow carpet of wildflowers that flourished above their shared grave. Tessa’s testimony about those tragic hours put a man on death row.
Now, almost two decades later, Tessa is an artist and single mother. In the desolate cold of February, she is shocked to discover a freshly planted patch of black-eyed susans—a summertime bloom—just outside her bedroom window. Terrified at the implications—that she sent the wrong man to prison and the real killer remains at large—Tessa turns to the lawyers working to exonerate the man awaiting execution. But the flowers alone are not proof enough, and the forensic investigation of the still-unidentified bones is progressing too slowly. An innocent life hangs in the balance. The legal team appeals to Tessa to undergo hypnosis to retrieve lost memories—and to share the drawings she produced as part of an experimental therapy shortly after her rescue.
What they don’t know is that Tessa and the scared, fragile girl she was have built a fortress of secrets. As the clock ticks toward the execution, Tessa fears for her sanity, but even more for the safety of her teenaged daughter. Is a serial killer still roaming free, taunting Tessa with a trail of clues? She has no choice but to confront old ghosts and lingering nightmares to finally discover what really happened that night.

Here are some more...

52. Look Again by Lisa Scottoline
From Goodreads:
When reporter Ellen Gleeson gets a “Have You Seen This Child?” flyer in the mail, she almost throws it away. But something about it makes her look again, and her heart stops—the child in the photo is identical to her adopted son, Will. Her every instinct tells her to deny the similarity between the boys, because she knows her adoption was lawful. But she’s a journalist and won’t be able to stop thinking about the photo until she figures out the truth. And she can’t shake the question: if Will rightfully belongs to someone else, should she keep him or give him up? She investigates, uncovering clues no one was meant to discover, and when she digs too deep, she risks losing her own life—and that of the son she loves.
Lisa Scottoline breaks new ground in Look Again, a thriller that’s both heart-stopping and heart-breaking, and sure to have new fans and book clubs buzzing.

I liked it although it pretty much reads like a Lifetime movie.

53. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
From Goodreads: No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes. Until now. As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. ‘I nearly missed you, Doctor August,’ she says. ‘I need to send a message.’ This is the story of what Harry does next, and what he did before, and how he tries to save a past he cannot change and a future he cannot allow.

This took me awhile to get into although it was interesting the whole way. It starts out with Harry dying and then all of the sudden he is back. He cant die. This book tells what happens in each life and how they relate to his other lives and ultimate goal.

54. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
Everybody know what this book is about. I LOVE Harry Potter and have read them all many, many times. This summer DH and I are revisiting the series via audiobooks during our various travels.

55. NYPD Red 3 by James Patterson and Marshall Karp
From Goodreads: NYPD Red is the elite, highly trained task force assigned to protect the rich, the famous, and the connected. And Detective Zach Jordan and his partner Kylie MacDonald-the woman who broke his heart at the police academy-are the best of the best, brilliant and tireless investigators who will stop at nothing to deliver justice.

Zach and Kylie's New Year's celebrations are cut short when they're called to the home of billionaire businessman Hunter Alden, Jr. after he makes a grisly discovery in his townhouse garage. When Alden's teenage son goes missing soon afterwards, and his father seems oddly reluctant to find him, Zach and Kylie find themselves in the middle of a chilling conspiracy that threatens everyone in its wake-especially their city's most powerful citizens. NYPD Red 3 is the next sensational novel in James Patterson's explosive new series, a thriller that goes behind the closed doors of New York high society and into the depths of depravity.

A typical James Patterson series. I enjoy the characters and this installment had some good intrigue and action.

56. Playing for Pizza by John Grisham
From Goodreads: Rick Dockery is the third-string quarterback for the Cleveland Browns. In the AFC Championship game, to the surprise and dismay of virtually everyone, Rick actually gets into the game. With a seventeen-point lead and just minutes to go, Rick provides what is arguably the worst single performance in the history of the NFL. Overnight, he becomes a national laughingstock—and is immediately cut by the Browns and shunned by all other teams.

But all Rick knows is football, and he insists that his agent find a team that needs him. Against enormous odds, Rick finally gets a job—as the starting quarterback for the Mighty Panthers . . . of Parma, Italy. The Parma Panthers desperately want a former NFL player—any former NFL player—at their helm. And now they’ve got Rick, who knows nothing about Parma (not even where it is) and doesn’t speak a word of Italian. To say that Italy—the land of fine wines, extremely small cars, and football americano—holds a few surprises for Rick Dockery would be something of an understatement.

I usually really enjoy Grisham's non-legal thriller books. And I am a sucker for sports books. This one though was just ok.

57. The Society by Michael Palmer
From Goodreads: At the headquarters of Boston's Eastern Quality Health, the wealthy and powerful CEO is brutally murdered. She's not the first to die --- nor the last. A serial killer is on the loose and the victims have one thing in common: all are high-profile executives in the managed care industry.

Dr. Will Grant is outraged by a system that cares more about money than about patients --- and he intends to do something about it. But his determination has attracted a dangerous zealot who will stop at nothing to make Will his ally. On the case is rookie detective Patty Moriarity. To save her faltering career --- and countless lives --- she will have to risk trusting Will, knowing he may be the killer she's hunting.

Pretty good medical thriller.

58. Murder 101 by Faye Kellerman
This is the 22nd installment of the Rina Lazarus/Peter Decker series. I have read other books in this series and enjoyed them but this one was just kind of boring. I kept thinking, I'm going to put this down and then something would happen and I would keep going. Not satisfying at all.

Book #65 Never Judge a Lady by her cover by Sarah MacLean

Book #66 The Contessa's Vendetta by Mirella Sichirollo Patzer

Book #67 The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

Book #68 Bourbon Kings of France by Desmond Seward

Book #69 The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini

book #70 Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman

Book #71 Detour by Cheryl Crane

Book #72 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham

Book #73 Fables Vol 1-10 by Bill Willingham

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter