ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

#8 - Heart Collector by Jacques Vandroux. From Amazon:

"Finding murderers is just a day on the job for police captain Nadia Barka. But when a mutilated corpse is discovered in an old baptistery, she’s faced with some difficult questions: Who left a young woman’s body in a high-security museum in the middle of the night? And where is the victim’s heart?

Barka has no leads, until several days later when unassuming computer technician Julien Lombard comes forward, claiming to have had a premonition of the woman’s abduction and murder. The ensuing investigation turns up nothing, however, and Julien is just as skeptical about his intel as the police are. But, after another woman goes missing, Barka decides to take a chance and trust in Julien’s gift. Does Julien hold the key to preventing another gruesome crime? Working together, can they find the murderer before he steals another heart?"

It was ok. I would give it 3*. I got it for free as a Kindle daily deal. I found the beginning a bit hard because it felt like I picked up the story halfway through. Once I got about a third of the way through it really picked up and I felt I knew what was going on. It just seemed like there was a back story that I didn't get until then.

#9 Flirting with Felicity by Gerri Russell. From Amazon:

"Felicity Wright never expected to inherit the hotel where she works as head chef. But now, she’ll do anything to keep the Bancroft Hotel operating—even if that means mixing it up with the late owner’s handsome nephew, Blake Bancroft. He’s here to challenge her unexpected inheritance of the Bancroft Hotel, and there’s no way either of them are walking away without a fight.

When his uncle wills away his family’s oldest property, Blake Bancroft cooks up a plan to get it back. To check out his competition, he’ll need to check in. Too bad his first encounter with Felicity proves to be anything but smooth. As their battle over ownership begins, things begin to heat up between them—and not just in the kitchen. Their attraction may be a recipe for disaster. Yet with the right ingredients, it could turn into a recipe for love…"

This was a really easy read and I liked it. Another Kindle freebie. Again, I'd give it 3*. If you like a nice, light, romance story this is a good one.

Goal 72

#7 Pines by Blake Crouch

I think this has been reviewed on here before so I will just say it was an interesting read, not too exciting but I will try the next book in the series.

#2 Color of Magic
Terry Pratchett
Friend loaned it to me.
Think I read some of these books in my nerdy 80 days. I liked it, laughed. There is just so much going on in book it's hard to explain. Same friend is reading something called "Player One Ready"
I have to read this book now.
Dystopian world where everybody does almost everything in this computer world that was developed by a guy obsessed with the 80's. How did I not hear of this book till now. Definitely next book I am reading. I have not been this excited to read a book in some time, even the title is awesome. Has anyone read am I getting overly excited for no reason?

As always anyone who is interested in reading any of my books please message me, I would gladly send Kindle or Nook Gift version. Putting fourth book out this month first time writing science fiction which is weird because I grew up on science fiction books.

#1 Out of Range - C.J. Box
#2 In Plain Site - C.J. Box (starting it today)

Ugh, I"m already behind!

Two finished so far:
1. A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle - haven't read this since I was my kids' age, and we read it together.

2. The 4th Game of Thrones book, A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin. THIS is the reason I'm behind. These books take me forever to read b/c my only available free reading time is while I wait for the kids after school in parent pick up, and the GoT books are looooong.

Planning to throw in a couple of shorter books before starting the 5th GoT.

Once March gets here I'll be much less busy and able to get rolling!

Book 4/50: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

I really enjoyed this book--a real page turner in the "suspense/thriller" genre.

Rachel rides the train everyday into London and as she gazes out the window she sees the same couple outside everyday and imagines a romantic lifestyle for them.

One day, Rachel sees something strange, another man, and then suddenly she no longer sees the couple.

She investigates only to stumble into a murder, domestic abuse and the surprise (to the reader) of how Rachel is linked with all of it.

Next up: The Boston Girl by Anita Diamante (author of one of my all time favorite books, The Red Tent).

I'm looking forward to reading The Girl on the Train. It's been on my radar for awhile! (I also enjoyed The Red Tent several years ago :))

#2 Color of Magic
Terry Pratchett
Friend loaned it to me.
Think I read some of these books in my nerdy 80 days. I liked it, laughed. There is just so much going on in book it's hard to explain. Same friend is reading something called "Player One Ready"
I have to read this book now.
Dystopian world where everybody does almost everything in this computer world that was developed by a guy obsessed with the 80's. How did I not hear of this book till now. Definitely next book I am reading. I have not been this excited to read a book in some time, even the title is awesome. Has anyone read am I getting overly excited for no reason?

As always anyone who is interested in reading any of my books please message me, I would gladly send Kindle or Nook Gift version. Putting fourth book out this month first time writing science fiction which is weird because I grew up on science fiction books.

I think it is called Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I haven't read it but it has been on my huge to-read list for awhile now. It gets rave reviews on goodreads.

Book #6 One Night Stand by J.S. Cooper
Female has one night stand. She leaves in the morning before he wakes. Fast forward to next weekend, she heads home to visit parents and finds him sitting on her parent's couch.

Do not be fooled by the promising sounding synopsis on Goodreads...It was terrible. The sexy parts didn't do it for me and I was angry that the female character was such a doormat and put up with such foolishness. I can't stress enough how much I disliked this book. I was embarrassed to list it on goodreads as something I'd read. Note: this was my book club's Feb. selection, total trash.

Book #7 Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Chance meeting with a famous football player leads a woman to end up spending the summer with him and in typical chick lit fashion, romance ensues. Not one I would recommend.

Book #8 Fallen by Lauren Kate
17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart.

I only gave this 2 stars, I wanted to like it, I like the premise but the execution fell short for me.

Book #9 Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn
It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who's just walked in to his band's show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City--and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date.

This is a YA published back in 2005, I am certain my indifference to popular music then and now influenced my opinion of this book. I gave it 3 stars but I can't really say I liked it so maybe I should have said 2 stars, or it is ok.

1/35
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
The premise of this book is really depressing- a doctor delivers his own twins and decides not keep one of them because she has Downs Syndrome. The book explores the impact of that decision on the doctor, his wife, their son, and the nurse who kept the baby. It was incredibly sad at times and very uplifting at others.

So I dint remember what book I am on. I will have to search later but I just read Secrets by Kristen Heitzmann. Great read with vivid detail and excellent characters.

Is it too late to join! I just found this thread! My goal would be 25 books. I have had "Undaunted Courage" on my nightstand for quite awhile and feel I need to pick it up and read it sometime this year!

Finished book #8 - The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

I really liked this YA book. The town is a mix of humans and faeries with all the issues that come with that. I enjoyed the story as well as the characters & hope this may be a series. This author also wrote the Spiderwick Chronicles.

Hazel lives with her brother, Ben, in the strange town of Fairfold where humans and fae exist side by side. The faeries' seemingly harmless magic attracts tourists, but Hazel knows how dangerous they can be, and she knows how to stop them. Or she did, once.
At the center of it all, there is a glass coffin in the woods. It rests right on the ground and in it sleeps a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointy as knives. Hazel and Ben were both in love with him as children. The boy has slept there for generations, never waking.
Until one day, he does...

Next book: Garden of Stones

Miramont's Ghost by Elizabeth Hall was 9/100 for me. From Goodreads:

Miramont Castle, built in 1897 and mysteriously abandoned three years later, is home to many secrets. Only one person knows the truth: Adrienne Beauvier, granddaughter of the Comte de Challembelles and cousin to the man who built the castle.

Clairvoyant from the time she could talk, Adrienne’s visions show her the secrets of those around her. When her visions begin to reveal dark mysteries of her own aristocratic French family, Adrienne is confronted by her formidable Aunt Marie, who is determined to keep the young woman silent at any cost. Marie wrenches Adrienne from her home in France and takes her to America, to Miramont Castle, where she keeps the girl isolated and imprisoned. Surrounded by eerie premonitions, Adrienne is locked in a life-or-death struggle to learn the truth and escape her torment.

Reminiscent of Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca, this hauntingly atmospheric tale is inspired by historical research into the real-life Miramont Castle in Manitou Springs, Colorado.

Finally finished my first book of the year, Takedown Twenty-One by Janet Evanovich. Standard Stephanie Plum fare-I can't say why I'm still reading these books other than the fact that I enjoy some of the characters and laugh from time to time. Next is 11th Hour by James Patterson (and company.) I had forgotten I had this one but just finished 10th Anniversary as my last book last year. Hoping to move on from books from a series after that. I have numerous ideas for things to read thanks to this thread!

I finished book 14 Undaunted by Christine Caine this weekend and I really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading some of her other books in the future.

I'm almost done with book 15 Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and it was pretty good. I read Gone Girl and Sharp Objects last year, and although I really liked Gone Girl, I wasn't as impressed with Sharp Objects so I held off on reading Dark Places. I did finally get to see Gone Girl this weekend and thought they did a pretty good job from what I remember of the book.

I should finish Dark Places tonight and my other books haven't come yet so I'm not sure what I'll start next.

4/25..........I'm on a roll this year :)

THE COMFORT OF LIES by Randy Susan Meyers

From Amazon:
Happiness at someone else’s expense came at a price. Tia had imagined judgment from the first kiss that she and Nathan shared. All year, she’d waited to be punished for being in love, and in truth, she believed that whatever consequences came her way would be deserved.”

Five years ago, Tia fell into obsessive love with a man she could never have. Married, and the father of two boys, Nathan was unavailable in every way. When she became pregnant, he disappeared, and she gave up her baby for adoption.

Five years ago, Caroline, a dedicated pathologist, reluctantly adopted a baby to please her husband. She prayed her misgivings would disappear; instead, she’s questioning whether she’s cut out for the role of wife and mother.

Five years ago, Juliette considered her life ideal: she had a solid marriage, two beautiful young sons, and a thriving business. Then she discovered Nathan’s affair. He promised he’d never stray again, and she trusted him.

But when Juliette intercepts a letter to her husband from Tia that contains pictures of a child with a deep resemblance to her husband, her world crumbles once more. How could Nathan deny his daughter? And if he’s kept this a secret from her, what else is he hiding? Desperate for the truth, Juliette goes in search of the little girl. And before long, the three women and Nathan are on a collision course with consequences that none of them could have predicted.

Riveting and arresting, The Comfort of Lies explores the collateral damage of infidelity and the dark, private struggles many of us experience but rarely reveal.

I really enjoyed this book.......it was a quick read. I'll probably read more from this author. Now to decide what to read next.

I finally got book #2 read. I decided to read the Giver as I never read it as a teen. I thought it was good but of course the ending left me a little confused. Now I am reading 50 shades of grey since my friends want to go see. I figured I better read the book first.

Who is excited about Harper Lee's announcement? I have to admit I got tears in my eyes when I read the announcement!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter