ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

Is it too late to join? I love to read and would live to get som new ideas and share my thoughts on what I do read. (DH would appreciate me having someone besides him to talk to about them too!)

Yeah! I'll go with 35.

It's NEVER too late to join us! So glad you found us! I've added you to the first post. :grouphug:

#3 - Drums in Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

I'm pretty well hooked on the Outlander series, but I thought this one did get a bit slow at times compared to the earlier books in the series. Not enough to put me off of the series, though... I've already requested the next book in the series from the library.

I'm reading Drums of Autumn myself. Glad I'm not the only one to think this book is dragging at times. I find myself not as obsessed with it as I was the others. But I love Jamie & Claire, and I love the author, so I will continue to read. :)

Colleen27, I never watch tv, but I've been an Outlander fan for years and have decided to make an exception to see Jamie and Claire lol!

Same here! Had to pay extra to add the Starz channel but it was worth it! Bummed that there were only 6 episodes though... and having to wait until APRIL for the show to resume is excruciating!!

book #5/65

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

I don't read a lot of thrillers but I couldn't put this down.

Ooooh, this one sounds like my kind of book! Adding it my list - thanks!!

Gosh darn it, I need to read FASTER!!

Book 8- One Plus One by JoJo Moyes this turned out to be pretty good but I think I enjoyed Me Before You more.

Book 9 - Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper - DD has been after me to read this one because she really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it.

Book 10 - Shelter of God's Promises by Sheila Walsh - I hadn't done any Bible studies or devotionals by this author before but I enjoyed this one.

Book 11 - Give them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick - This book was recomended to me by a friend and I was reading it alongside my devotional. It wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be and although I agreed with a lot of what she was saying, I felt it lacked something in the day to day application of her ideas.

Book 12 - Culture Shock by Chip Ingram - this was a quick read and not really any new information for me.

Now I'm reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty and so far I'm enjoying it. I've really enjoyed the other books I've read by her.

Ooooh, this one sounds like my kind of book! Adding it my list - thanks!!

Gosh darn it, I need to read FASTER!!

Me too! I have so many books I want to read that sometimes I feel like I'm rushing through what I'm currently reading in anticipation of what I'm going to read next.

Finished book #6 - Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain

This is a book I highly recommend! Great story, great characters, kept me reading wanting to know what happens to this family. Great discussion book for book clubs too. One of those "What would you do in that situation?" type discussions.

It is 1960 in North Carolina and the lives of Ivy Hart and Jane Forrester couldn’t be more different. Fifteen-year-old Ivy lives with her family as tenants on a small tobacco farm, but when her parents die, Ivy is left to care for her grandmother, older sister, and nephew. As she struggles with her grandmother’s aging, her sister’s mental illness, and her own epilepsy, she realizes they might need more than she can give.
When Jane Forrester takes a position as Grace County’s newest social worker, she is given the task of recommending which of her clients should be sterilized without their knowledge or consent. The state’s rationalization is that if her clients are poor, or ill, or deemed in some way "unfit" they should not be allowed to have children. But soon Jane becomes emotionally invested in her clients’ lives, causing tension with her new husband and her supervisors. No one understands why Jane would want to become a caseworker for the Department of Public Health when she could be a housewife and Junior League member. As Jane is drawn in by the Hart women, she begins to discover the secrets of the small farm—secrets much darker than she would have guessed. Soon, she must decide whether to take drastic action to help them, or risk losing a life-changing battle.
Necessary Lies is the story of these two young women, seemingly worlds apart, but both haunted by tragedy. Jane and Ivy are thrown together and must ask themselves: How can you know what you believe is right, when everyone is telling you it’s wrong?

Next Book: Blur

11 us by David Nicholls
from amazon
was looking forward to us growing old together. Me and you, growing old and dying together.'

'Douglas, who in their right mind would look forward to that?'

Douglas Petersen understands his wife's need to 'rediscover herself' now that their son is leaving home.

He just thought they'd be doing their rediscovering together.

So when Connie announces that she will be leaving, too, he resolves to make their last family holiday into the trip of a lifetime: one that will draw the three of them closer, and win the respect of his son. One that will make Connie fall in love with him all over again.

The hotels are booked, the tickets bought, the itinerary planned and printed.

What could possibly go wrong?

.I loved one day by the same author. this was a bitter/sweet portrayal of an older couple facing the end of their relationshp It had funny moments but some of the characters seemed to be harder to empathise with 3.5/ 5

Me too! I have so many books I want to read that sometimes I feel like I'm rushing through what I'm currently reading in anticipation of what I'm going to read next.

Yes!! Which is why I lowered my book goal because I didn't want to always be rushing. It doesn't work. Sigh. :scratchin

#6/52

The Winter Guest by Pam Jenoff

Summary: Life is a constant struggle for the eighteen-year-old Nowak twins as they raise their three younger siblings in rural Poland under the shadow of the Nazi occupation. The constant threat of arrest has made everyone in their village a spy, and turned neighbor against neighbor. Though rugged, independent Helena and pretty, gentle Ruth couldn't be more different, they are staunch allies in protecting their family from the threats the war brings closer to their doorstep with each passing day. Then Helena discovers an American paratrooper stranded outside their small mountain village, wounded, but alive. Risking the safety of herself and her family, she hides Sam—a Jew—but Helena's concern for the American grows into something much deeper. Defying the perils that render a future together all but impossible, Sam and Helena make plans for the family to flee. But Helena is forced to contend with the jealousy her choices have sparked in Ruth, culminating in a singular act of betrayal that endangers them all—and setting in motion a chain of events that will reverberate across continents and decades.

Review: Parts of this novel were okay, but there were some elements of the story that I just did not like. Plus, I found some of the events toward the end of the novel to be completely unrealistic. I was disappointed in this book because historical fiction is one of my favorite genres, and I really enjoyed Jenoff's The Kommandant's Girl .

#7/52

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Summary: A long journey from home and the struggle to find it again form the heart of the intertwined stories that make up this moving novel. Foster teen Molly is performing community-service work for elderly widow Vivian, and as they go through Vivian’s cluttered attic, they discover that their lives have much in common. When Vivian was a girl, she was taken to a new life on an orphan train. These trains carried children to adoptive families for 75 years, from the mid-nineteenth century to the start of the Great Depression. Novelist Kline (Bird in Hand, 2009) brings Vivian’s hardscrabble existence in *Depression-era Minnesota to stunning life. Molly’s present-day story in Maine seems to pale in comparison, but as we listen to the two characters talk, we find grace and power in both of these seemingly disparate lives. Although the girls are vulnerable, left to the whims of strangers, they show courage and resourcefulness. Kline illuminates a largely hidden chapter of American history, while portraying the coming-of-age of two resilient young women.

Review: I thought this was an excellent book. I really loved the characters of Molly and Vivian, and the intertwining of their stories. I also learned a lot about the orphan trains, a subject about which I knew very little before reading this novel.

Book 7/100: Ambition's Queen by V.E. Lynne. I'm a kick right now with Tudor fiction. From Goodreads:

England 1536. Bridget Manning is forced to leave the safety and tranquility of her home at Rivers Abbey in order to join the household of the queen, Anne Boleyn. Once there she enters a world seething with intrigue and plots against her new mistress. Will Bridget be able to navigate her way through the dangerous maze of the court or will it destroy her as it is destroying her queen?

Could I join this group? I had not read a book in ages but I got an I-Pad for Christmas and I am on my 3rd book this month!

I enjoy romance novels and chose "Ladies Room" (by Carolyn Brown) for my first book. After that I chose "Crazy Little Thing" by Tracy Brogan. I discovered I liked Tracy Brogan so much I chose another one of her books. I am currently reading "Love Me Sweet".

I am hoping to read 25 books this year.

TC :cool1:

Book 6 of 30

To Find a Mountain by Dani Amore

From Amazon: Benedetta Carlessimo is no stranger to hardship. Ever since her mother died, the sixteen-year-old Italian girl has cared for her rambunctious younger siblings without complaint. Then World War II arrives on her doorstep, leaving her face-to-face with the most terrible evil she has ever witnessed.

With the Germans and Americans fighting furiously to control a strategic swath of Italy, Nazi forces seize Benedetta’s village, turning her home into a command center—and forcing her beloved father to choose between fleeing or fighting on the front lines.

In the midst of great deprivation, Benedetta struggles to feed both her family and the Nazis, all the while keeping her father’s whereabouts secret. Yet her blossoming love for a handsome young Italian man hiding in the mountains brings a sliver of joy to her life. But with the Americans advancing and the Germans growing increasingly desperate and cruel, Benedetta knows that one misstep could bring horrible repercussions…and only an extraordinary act of courage can save her family.

I give this a 5/5. Couldn't put it down. Really engaging.

#3 of 30

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

So I agree with the previous poster who said SK is all over the place. Mr. Mercedes is a pretty straightforward detective story with zero supernatural action.

Mr. Mercedes was the nickname of a murderer who intentionally drove a Mercedes into a crowd of people and escaped capture. Bill Hodges was the police detective who investigated the case and retired without solving it. He is finding it difficult to adjust to retirement and sometimes plays with his gun...even putting the barrel into his mouth just to see what it might feel like to end it all. For some reason, Mr. Mercedes starts stalking and taunting the former detective, inadvertently giving Hodges a new reason to live.

The story was interesting and I enjoyed reading it - liked it better than Revival.

Next is "Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly. A friend recommended this and then left it for me to read while he was away for 4 months. He's back this weekend so I guess I better get going!

Goal 72

#6 Cop Town by Karin Slaughter

From Goodreads:
"Atlanta, 1974: As a brutal murder and a furious manhunt rock the city’s police department, Kate Murphy wonders if her first day on the job will also be her last. She’s determined to defy her privileged background by making her own way—wearing a badge and carrying a gun. But for a beautiful young woman, life will be anything but easy in the macho world of the Atlanta PD, where even the female cops have little mercy for rookies. It’s also the worst day possible to start given that a beloved cop has been gunned down, his brothers in blue are out for blood, and the city is on the edge of war.

Kate isn’t the only woman on the force who’s feeling the heat. Maggie Lawson followed her uncle and brother into the ranks to prove her worth in their cynical eyes. When she and Kate, her new partner, are pushed out of the citywide search for a cop killer, their fury, pain, and pride finally reach the boiling point. With a killer poised to strike again, they will pursue their own line of investigation, risking everything as they venture into the city’s darkest heart."

Ok, so Karin Slaughter has long been one of my favorite authors but this one didn't do it for me. Altho it was a good book in it's own way, I much prefer her other books.
Very realistic. I live just outside of Atlanta and this book was very true to form as the ways of the 70's. The author is from this area also and her descriptions and knowledge of the area was right on.

Read five books out of 50 so far this January. Not write what I am reading right now because I am on my phone and it slow typing on Safari. Plus the Dis app doesn't work for me anymore. Computer battery died so I will write I am reading after the battery comes in. sorry about this and the spelling mistake hard to type when on the keyboard is slow.

I have a question...I got an Apple Air for Christmas. I love reading books on it. I got an e-mail from Kindle Books for a 30 day free trial period. After that, it is $9.99 per mo. How many of you here think the Kindle Unlimited plan is a good deal and subscribe to it? I would like to know the pro and cons of it.
Thanks for your responses!

Could I join this group? I had not read a book in ages but I got an I-Pad for Christmas and I am on my 3rd book this month!

I enjoy romance novels and chose "Ladies Room" (by Carolyn Brown) for my first book. After that I chose "Crazy Little Thing" by Tracy Brogan. I discovered I liked Tracy Brogan so much I chose another one of her books. I am currently reading "Love Me Sweet".

I am hoping to read 25 books this year.

Welcome to our little group! :grouphug: I've added you to the first post.

Happy Reading!

Welcome Tuffcookie to another romance reader. Please review "Ladies Room" when you finsih. I just went to Amazon and read the review and it really sounds like my type of book.

Finished book #7 - Blur By Steven James

This is a spooky YA book. I figured out the big reveal fairly early in the story, but I enjoyed it.

The isolated town of Beldon, Wisconsin, is shocked when a high school freshman’s body is found in Lake Algonquin. Just like everyone in the community, sixteen-year-old Daniel Byers believes that Emily Jackson’s death was accidental. But at her funeral, when he has a terrifying vision of her, his world begins to rip apart at the seams.
Convinced that Emily’s appearance was more than just a mere hallucination, Daniel begins to look carefully into her death, even as he increasingly loses the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality.
What’s real? What’s not? Where does reality end and madness begin?
As Daniel struggles to find the truth, his world begins to crumble around him as he slips further and further into his own private blurred reality.

I've actually had some time to read lately! :cool1:

2/25: A Perfect Life by Danielle Steel

From Amazon:
A PERFECT LIFE

The epitome of intelligence, high-powered energy, and grace, Blaise McCarthy is an icon in the world of television news, asking the tough questions and taking on the emotionally charged issues of world affairs and politics with courage and insight. A single mother, she manages her well-ordered career meticulously, always prepared on the air or interviewing world-renowned figures and heads of state. To her audience, Blaise seems to have it all. But privately, and off the set, there is another untold story she has kept hidden for years.

Blaise’s teenage daughter, Salima, was blinded by Type 1 diabetes in childhood, and her needs have kept her away in a year-round boarding school with full-time medical care and assistance ever since. When Salima’s school closes after a tragedy, Salima returns to her mother’s New York City apartment, and suddenly they face challenges they’ve never had to deal with before, and that Blaise feels ill-equipped to handle. A new caretaker provided by Salima’s school creates as many problems as he solves. Handsome, accomplished, thirty-two-year-old Simon Ward, with strong opinions on every topic, questions how mother and daughter view themselves and each other. Simon opens new doors for both of them and refuses to accept Salima’s physical limitations. He turns their world upside down, and the three become friends.

Then everything starts to unravel and Blaise can’t keep her two worlds separate anymore. A beautiful young anchorwoman is hired at the network; it is no secret that she is being groomed to take Blaise’s place. Her career as she has known it is threatened, and her previously well-ordered life feels totally out of control. For the first time, Blaise’s life is not perfect, but real.

In this unforgettable tale, the incomparable Danielle Steel has written a novel that pulsates with emotion and honesty as three people face the truth about themselves. A Perfect Life is about what we do when facades fall away and we can no longer run from the truth. As old ideas fail, everything changes, and life is suddenly brand-new.

This was another fluff book but I enjoyed it. I used to read every book Danielle Steel wrote as soon as it was out but she's very predictable. This was no different.

3/25: Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

From Amazon:
A Father's Dying Wish. A Husband's Shocking Suicide. A Daughter's Inexplicable Silence.

Laura Brandon's promise to her dying father was simple: to visit an elderly woman she'd never heard of before. A woman who remembers nothing—except the distant past. Visiting Sarah Tolley seemed a small enough sacrifice to make.

But Laura's promise results in another death. Her husband's. And after their five-year-old daughter, Emma, witnesses her father's suicide, Emma refuses to talk about it—to talk at all.

Frantic and guilt ridden, Laura contacts the only person who may be able to help. A man she's met only once—six years before. A man who doesn't know he's Emma's real father.

Guided only by a child's silence and an old woman's fading memories, the two unravel a tale of love and despair, of bravery and unspeakable evil. A tale that's shrouded in silence…and that unbelievably links them all.

I LOVED this book. It was very hard to put down and I still keep thinking about it.

I haven't decided what to read next yet.....

4/25

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

I won't go into the summary since a few other people have read it recently.

I either love or HATE Stephen King books. I feel like he maybe got a new editor because what always made me put his books down was the feeling that I was reading and reading but the story was literally going NOWHERE. This story was great, a bit twisted, but it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I didn't miss the supernatural twist... I thought the way he explored the mind of a psychopath was enough of a frightening twist.

Up next: FINALLY, A Dance with Dragons George RR Martin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter