And don't call me sweetie

LOL, I am in line with some of the other posters. I don't mind it at all but do find it a bit awkward when someone much much younger calls me Hon.

I have never been Ma'am'ed as much as when we went to the Bahamas last month. Kind of grows on you :laughing:. My son really annoyed me shortly after returning when I told him to sweep the kitchen floor with excessive complaining (end of the world kind of complaining, suck it up, it is only sweeping the floor). I told him to just say "Yes ma'am", stop talking and do it! There is something to be said for a little respect :P.

I never understand how these threads always manage to compare sweetie to ma'am. Ma'am is a term of respect, Sweetie is a term of endearment.

I don't mind strangers using a term of respect to me, but can't stand it when strangers use a term of endearment to me.

Well I'm from the South and being sweetied and honeyed bugs me too, double from people younger than me. But what REALLY bugs me is being called "young lady" by younger men. They think it's flirty, I think it's weird. :confused3

Well I'm from the South and being sweetied and honeyed bugs me too, double from people younger than me. But what REALLY bugs me is being called "young lady" by younger men. They think it's flirty, I think it's weird. :confused3

One of my 'co-workers' calls me "kiddo". I guess he doesn't know I'm 40. :lmao:

I don't care if someone calls me sweetie, honey, dear or mam - whatever! If they are being nice I'll accept whatever the term is for what it's worth - a friendly and welcoming endearment!
The things people get offended or bothered by astounds me!

I never understand how these threads always manage to compare sweetie to ma'am. Ma'am is a term of respect, Sweetie is a term of endearment.

I don't mind strangers using a term of respect to me, but can't stand it when strangers use a term of endearment to me.

Ma'am is SO not a term of respect where I am from- it is the opposite!

I hate being called "girls," especially when said by a man--it's so enormously condescending. I was out with my mother (who feels more strongly about this than I do), and a waiter half her age said, "What are you girls having today," and I thought she would smack him with her menu.

Since you didn't post your location I'll have to take your word for it. However, I bet your bottom dollar there are plenty of people from the same place you are who would have a different opinion.

Opinions like this are usually more generational than regional.

I'm from the West Coast and "ma'am" isn't used often here. I have heard it used respectfully, and I've heard it used sarcastically. I've even used it both ways myself. However it remains by definition a term of respect.

It's kind of weird, but it bothers me a lot more when a young woman calls me "hun." It's irritating because I think it's age related (even though it might not be.) It doesn't bother me as much if a guy does that, though it probably should. I assume any man who calls a woman he doesn't know hun, probably does that universally.

Ma'am doesn't bother me at all--I'm in my 40's. When someone calls me "Miss," I think they're sucking up.

I hate when servers refer to you as honey, sweetie, darlin, etc. I had one at lunch today and I wanted to slap her. (It probably didn't help that I was on a 45 minute hold with the IRS. :laughing: )

But in all seriousness, why do they do that? I know I can't be the only one that hates it. It's not endearing, its annoying!

That is my #1 pet peeve. I do not know you, I am not your sweetie, honey, darling, etc..this happens all the time here with cashiers, waitresses, female workers in stores etc. I wish it would stop!

I don't care if someone calls me sweetie, honey, dear or mam - whatever! If they are being nice I'll accept whatever the term is for what it's worth - a friendly and welcoming endearment!

:thumbsup2

I don't have a problem with it at all. Here the older folks tend to say it to the younger ones.

They don't mean anything bad by it, so I accept as a friendly greeting. I save my outrage for comments people make that are intended to hurt or put others down in any way.
That's how I try to view things. Intent means a lot more to me. If someone is trying to be kind, polite, considerate, or any other positive thing, I really don't care what they call me - I won't be bothered by it.

I'm not a server but I use to nurse. I call everyone honey or sweetheart or some variation! I didn't realize it would offend anyone! Being from the south its bot unusual. I don't however like dear! I have a friend who was raised in Jersey and she does it to be condescending!
I'm pretty used to it, myself. Don't really get offended by it as I know that they aren't trying to offend.

:thumbsup2

Well where I come from, it most definitely is a sign of respect. At least, when we are taught to say it, we are taught to say it as a sign of respect. As long as a person is trying to be respectful, I don't really care what they call me. Intent means much more to me than the actual words.

Also been called Sugar and Girlfriend and HoneyChild and Mama! Didn't have a problem with those either!
I actually kind of enjoy how different areas and cultures great or talk to me!

I only dislike being called honey or sweetie when I'm in an argument. For example, if I'm on the phone with a company and we're having some kind of disagreement and the young lady on the phone calls me honey condescendingly, I get mad. Other than that, I don't really mind.

I'll be the odd man out. It has never bothered me when people use terms of endearment. To me, it's just a habit they've picked up and they don't mean anything bad by it.

There is a young lady who works at the cancer center where I've been having my chemo treatments. She always calls me sweetheart when she asks me how I'm feeling that day. It actually makes me feel good. I think she really cares. I can think of a lot worse things to get uptight about than having someone refer to me with a nice term.

Here in the UK we don't use Ma'am as much so it did used to make me feel old until I got used to it. Now I prefer it to Sweetie, Hun etc.

However in a regional UK thing (but not where we live) my mother calls close family 'duck' which always leaves DD13 muttering 'I am NOT a duck'!!

It's a Southern thang and I'm not offended. I can think of much worse..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter