And don't call me sweetie

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by wvjules, Mar 29, 2013.

1. wvjules

wvjules DIS Veteran

I hate when servers refer to you as honey, sweetie, darlin, etc. I had one at lunch today and I wanted to slap her. (It probably didn't help that I was on a 45 minute hold with the IRS. :laughing: )

But in all seriousness, why do they do that? I know I can't be the only one that hates it. It's not endearing, its annoying!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Help  Please!

Help Please! Mouseketeer

:rotfl2: Drives my mom crazy, too! lol! Doesn't bother me, down here in the south I think it's just a friendly term. :confused3:goodvibes

4. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

My aunt does it to be condescending. So we find snarky "endearing" terms to respond to her with (her son and I).

5. ols386

ols386 I want to live at Disney World!!

Doesn't bother me if they call me honey or sweetie.

I know it does bother some folks, but for some reason, not me.

6. Acklander

Acklander DIS Veteran

They don't mean anything bad by it, so I accept as a friendly greeting. I save my outrage for comments people make that are intended to hurt or put others down in any way.

7. KMarston

KMarston Mouseketeer

I'm not a server but I use to nurse. I call everyone honey or sweetheart or some variation! I didn't realize it would offend anyone! Being from the south its bot unusual. I don't however like dear! I have a friend who was raised in Jersey and she does it to be condescending!

8. Laura66

Laura66 DIS Veteran

Doesn't bother me at all!

9. NY Disney fan

NY Disney fan DIS Veteran

It bothers me when a person younger than me calls me sweetie. It does not bother me when an older person calls me that.

10. wvjules

wvjules DIS Veteran

Never said that they meant anything bad by it. However, it still annoys me. Stick with Sir or Ma'am. No need to be all cutesy with me. I'm a customer.

And yes, I'm aware I'm well on my way to being a crotchety old lady. :rotfl2:

11. acourtwdw

acourtwdw DIS Veteran

I'd rather be called sweetie than ma'am. That makes me feel old and I'm only 43.

12. TheAviator

TheAviator <font color=blue>I don't always live dangerously,

For servers its a knee jerk reaction for some to be "overly nice." Others I think its just an annoying habit people get into, but I agree its like nails on a chalk board for me too. Now if its a hot girl that I'm really attracted to, then I can deal with it. :) But in the other situation :eek:

A gas station I go to lady calls everyone sweetie, and another I see calls everyone baby, like 5 times in one sentence, which is a bit much. Ok baby, not a problem baby, ok baby see you next time baby. OK I got it after the first baby.

But I do like it when Sacha Baron Cohen does the Dictator and calls girls sugar _______ that's pretty funny.

13. wvjules

wvjules DIS Veteran

Maybe that's what annoyed me. She was much younger. I also don't mind when an older server calls me sweetie, darlin, etc either.

My mom calls servers sweetie, darlin, dear, etc. It drives me insane too! lol

14. KimR

KimR DIS Veteran<br><font color=teal>Needs to lay off t

I don't like it either but I do think it is a Southern thing. One thing I find very ironic about southerners is that the same people who insist their children call them "ma'am" and "sir" often think nothing of calling strangers 'sweetie', or 'darling'. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way because I live in the south....I just think it's funny.

15. aprilgail2

aprilgail2 Guest

I agree---hey I would rather be called sweetie, honey or even idiot over being Ma'am'd LOL--that is the ultimate insult!

16. GeorgeG

GeorgeG <font color=blue>Stumped for 2005<br><font color=r

It usually doesn't bother me unless it's excessive. My first mother-in-law was way excessive with use use of endearments.

One young waitress at a place we often have breakfast at always greets me with a "good morning, Sunshine"! It's sort of a running joke because she knows I'm not a morning person. It's a small place and we're all friendly.

17. katy621

katy621 Member

My parents were born & raised in the midwest, so I'm pretty used to hearing hon, sweetie, etc... I also agree with what Acklander said.

18. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

Don't come down south then. It's a way of life here, and we all love it! :confused3 Ma'm & Sir is too!

19. snapppyd

snapppyd God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy

I swear I was going to post this exact thread the other day. Then I said to myself "the Dis (among others) will call me a cranky old lady"! It does irritate me a little when someone much younger call me sweetie. But then again, a few years ago "Mam" bothered me because it made me feel old :rotfl2: maybe we should all wear nametags :confused3

20. chobie

chobie <font color=teal>Fish are friends, not food<br><fo

Yes, I would much rather be called sweetie then ma'am.

21. keypooh90

keypooh90 Lovatic

It doesn't bother me, but it intrigues me. I'm 22 but look much much younger (like early teens). I'm also a seasonal cast member at Epcot. The thing that is funny to me is when I am not working, I get called "honey, miss, sweetie, darling, princess) and even get asked if I need kid"s menus when working out, but when I'm in costume it's "ma'm, mrs.,)