• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

Any info on this?
I've booked a bedroom for our trip to Disney in May. I read a previous post where the poster mentioned they would go to the back of the car to get free drinks rather than having the attendant bring them. What types of drinks are these? Water and sodas?
Also are there lounge cars nearby where we can also go if we don't want to stay in the bedroom? How far away is the dining car?
Just trying to get an idea of how things are situated on the train.

The closer the dates are, the higher the prices.

true that they go up but I have not seen them double.I also have seen them not change too much over many months -so while I do encourage everyone to BOOK AS SOON AS YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE GOING, I wouldn't panic too much if you delay for a few months.;)

Any info on this?
I've booked a bedroom for our trip to Disney in May. I read a previous post where the poster mentioned they would go to the back of the car to get free drinks rather than having the attendant bring them. What types of drinks are these? Water and sodas?
Also are there lounge cars nearby where we can also go if we don't want to stay in the bedroom? How far away is the dining car?
Just trying to get an idea of how things are situated on the train.

they have coffee machine with coffee and hot water,sodas and juices.We always went and got soda or water-and ice.Lounge cars are not far(the train is only so long-but we never go to them because usually they are crowded-and in my experiences they are crowded with annoying brats:eek:

Dining car was not far.You need to know that nothing is far since the train is not that long.You have to walk through maybe 3 or 4 cars to the dining.No walk is longer than 2min.

Thanks for the reply lisa-upnorth. We'll have to check out the lounge car if we feel the need to get out of the room for a bit. But if it's crowded like you said, we may be better off in the room.
Nice to know about the drinks nearby too. I didn't know they did that.

Just wanted to say that we booked our trip back in may and I just called called to see if we could switch from 2 roometes going down to a family bedroom and I was able to get it and save about$50. It was cheaper for the family room than the roometes...go figure...but I'm not complaining at least we get to all be in the same room.
One question Hugh. My son Is turning 2 on vacay should I bring his birth certificate just in case? He is a big boy

Mrs.viv07 said:
One question Hugh. My son Is turning 2 on vacay should I bring his birth certificate just in case? He is a big boy

It would not hurt. But bring a copy not the original, that way if it gets misplaced no biggie. I doubt you will need it though, we brought my DD17 as a 15 yo, no one questioned us.

We are leaning more towards driving to va right after hubby gets home from work just to avoid leaving at 5 am the next day possibly hitting rush hour traffic / getting lost ect and god forbid missing the train. We figured it woul allows us to " sleep" in the day of the train trip since we are not sure how much sleep we will get on the train. I'm trying to find a reasonable hotel that won't break the bank since its and added expense but I don't want anything that is not family friendly. Can anyone recommend anything near lorton that would work or that you have used? Travel sites are not really helping since the review are killing the cheaper ones but I don't want to spend $320 just to sleep. We are coming from NYC, and would leave around 8-9pm

There is a comfort inn that is on the opposite side of i95 from the station. Not sure on the prices but we stayed there a few years ago. They offered discounted prices for Amtrak travelers.

All checked in for today's train from Sanford. Hoping for no delays.

Just arrived at the Lorton station at 7:30 am:worship:

That's great! :thumbsup2
How was the tip down???:)

We only took it back.. We drove all the way down. Took till 9:20 to get our car this morning. It was one of the last cars to come off.

Didn't sleep to great. Our train car was almost empty so we were able to spread out and each have two seats.

On the road Now 2 1/2 more hours until we are home

That's great! :thumbsup2
How was the tip down???:)

We only took it back.. We drove all the way down. Took till 9:20 to get our car this morning. It was one of the last cars to come off.

Didn't sleep to great. Our train car was almost empty so we were able to spread out and each have two seats.

Saturday was a day off for me so Mom, a friend, and myself decided to take a drive to find the Cary NC train station. I followed Mapquest/google directions which both sid I could get there in 2 hours and 33 minutes. Oh boy were they wrong(and I had checked to know where UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke were playing so i wouldn't get into the traffic. Took oer 3 hours and 15 minutes!!! Glad I went on a trial run.

What I dd notice.
Very friendly Amtak employees.
Well marked
Cleanest train station I have ever been in!!
Easly accessible
plenty of parking and well patrolled by local police. In 20 minutes I saw 4 different police officers.

We're driving down from PA and taking the train back as well! So excited, can't wait, any tips for 1st timers?

My daughter and I will be on the Silver Meteor Thursday overnight from Richmond, VA to Kissimmee! Anyone else aboard? I have traveled by train many times, but this is my daughter's very first train trip. We are headed to Disney to celebrate her 9th birthday:banana: We are getting excited!

We will be traveling in a roomette (I finally got to use my amtrak points I've been accumulating over the last 15 years!)

Thank you for your review.
I'm taking the train myself from Newark, NJ to Orlando in March.
I'm meeting my dh and son and his baseball team at Caribbean Beach Resort.
I'm actually looking forward to the time alone :rotfl2:
BUT, can anyone please tell me if I am allowed to bring on liquids such as drinks? Also, I did not get a roomete so I will be sleeping in a regular seat.
I would also like to be in a quite car for the full ride. How do I do this as soon as I get on.
Is Amtrak Silver Star or whatever it's called wireless for internet.
Thanks so much!

js said:
Thank you for your review.
I'm taking the train myself from Newark, NJ to Orlando in March.
I'm meeting my dh and son and his baseball team at Caribbean Beach Resort.
I'm actually looking forward to the time alone :rotfl2:
BUT, can anyone please tell me if I am allowed to bring on liquids such as drinks? Also, I did not get a roomete so I will be sleeping in a regular seat.
I would also like to be in a quite car for the full ride. How do I do this as soon as I get on.
Is Amtrak Silver Star or whatever it's called wireless for internet.
Thanks so much!

We use Amtrak a lot and yes, you can take drinks aboard ....we have a small cooler, and we freeze our Minute Maid Lemonade to keep our sandwiches cool almond with our other goodies . We board the train at 3:00am and by the time we're hungry, lemonade is thawed and ready to drink...

We usually do coach the whole way, sleeping is easy in coach, easier than a roomette (roomette are real small, upper and lower berths, upper requires climbing up a narrow space). Just a tip, take a small blanket and maybe your own pillow, gets real chilly on the train at night, sometimes cold during the day (a/c not regulated very well, usually too cold).

As for a quiet car, we catch the train out of DC , there's 2 trains running south and we've never encountered one with a quiet car.... Sure wish every train had one.... Too many babies and noisy children in the regular car and adults ....we're 2 old guests that like the peace and quiet and Amtrak really doesn't do much to calm a noisy car or group... Good luck!

Only wi fi we've seen has been in the DC station, nothing on board during our 2011 trip...

We use Amtrak a lot and yes, you can take drinks aboard ....we have a small cooler, and we freeze our Minute Maid Lemonade to keep our sandwiches cool almond with our other goodies . We board the train at 3:00am and by the time we're hungry, lemonade is thawed and ready to drink...

We usually do coach the whole way, sleeping is easy in coach, easier than a roomette (roomette are real small, upper and lower berths, upper requires climbing up a narrow space). Just a tip, take a small blanket and maybe your own pillow, gets real chilly on the train at night, sometimes cold during the day (a/c not regulated very well, usually too cold).

As for a quiet car, we catch the train out of DC , there's 2 trains running south and we've never encountered one with a quiet car.... Sure wish every train had one.... Too many babies and noisy children in the regular car and adults ....we're 2 old guests that like the peace and quiet and Amtrak really doesn't do much to calm a noisy car or group... Good luck!

Only wi fi we've seen has been in the DC station, nothing on board during our 2011 trip...

Thank you very much pepe for answering my questions so quickly.
Do they inspect the liquids? I would like to bring on some alcohol and drink it discretly after dinner. I thought I read there was a quite car(s) and wireless, I'll have to double check that. I have a KindleFire so I will download some movies and a book. I'll be taking a plane home so this is just for the ride down.
Thanks so much!

We have alcohol going home, left over after our Disney trip, some beers and some wine which we transferred to some empty water bottles.... Nothing gets inspected when boarding, I would just be discreet and watch my consumption as not to become unruly or loud.... Other than that, all is good....

One of the reasons we enjoy the train, no security checks, free baggage (50# limit) multiple carry ons, usually an electrical outlet at each pair of seats, able to bring food and beverages aboard, and fairly decent people all around to be helpful..

I bring my Kindle along and a game boy.... Remember that all electronics require headphones so not to disturb others and lights out is usually 10pm, they dim the interior but each seat has an overhead reading light for personal use....

Anything else I can help or answer, fire away.... Alway glad to help train travelers!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter