Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

just booked my family bedroom for my upcoming spring trip to visit THE MOUSE!!

FREE WITH POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have alcohol going home, left over after our Disney trip, some beers and some wine which we transferred to some empty water bottles.... Nothing gets inspected when boarding, I would just be discreet and watch my consumption as not to become unruly or loud.... Other than that, all is good....

One of the reasons we enjoy the train, no security checks, free baggage (50# limit) multiple carry ons, usually an electrical outlet at each pair of seats, able to bring food and beverages aboard, and fairly decent people all around to be helpful..

I bring my Kindle along and a game boy.... Remember that all electronics require headphones so not to disturb others and lights out is usually 10pm, they dim the interior but each seat has an overhead reading light for personal use....

Anything else I can help or answer, fire away.... Alway glad to help train travelers!!

Thanks for the tips. ;)
We'll be on the AT for the 1st time next month. Should I bring eye masks for my kids if they like it really dark to sleep or is it pretty dark in coach?

loveysbydesign said:
Thanks for the tips. ;)
We'll be on the AT for the 1st time next month. Should I bring eye masks for my kids if they like it really dark to sleep or is it pretty dark in coach?

The lighting is dimmed, not totally dark... I bring an eye mask myself and earplugs..... Some light does stream in from cars outside and running through different towns .... whatever will make your trip more pleasant ... bring...

We have alcohol going home, left over after our Disney trip, some beers and some wine which we transferred to some empty water bottles.... Nothing gets inspected when boarding, I would just be discreet and watch my consumption as not to become unruly or loud.... Other than that, all is good....

One of the reasons we enjoy the train, no security checks, free baggage (50# limit) multiple carry ons, usually an electrical outlet at each pair of seats, able to bring food and beverages aboard, and fairly decent people all around to be helpful..

I bring my Kindle along and a game boy.... Remember that all electronics require headphones so not to disturb others and lights out is usually 10pm, they dim the interior but each seat has an overhead reading light for personal use....

Anything else I can help or answer, fire away.... Alway glad to help train travelers!!

Thanks about the alcohol. It's just me and no parties so hopefully I won't become unruly or loud LOL Just wanted a drink or two in my seat at night and maybe it would make me more tired and help me sleep.

I wish there would be more security on the trains. Not having any security checks in this day and age is quite scarey and that means anyone can walk on and bring on and pack anything. Not fun on a plane or train.

I thought I read wireless but you would know that much more than I would so I guess the movies and a book will have to do. I have great noise blocking ear phones that I use on the plane that also plugs into my Kindle so I can use that for my movies. My dh thinks I'm crazy to want to spend a full day on the train myself but I really hate flying (although I do it) so taking train down and flying back. I'll have to fly roundtrip again in August so I'm really looking forward to the alone time LOL Wish I could have gotten the roomete but spending the $400 for just me when I know I'll just be watching movies and reading I just don't have to do.

Thanks so much!

Whether or not there's wireless depends on your train. Those in the northeast seem to have it. The ones to Florida don't that I know of (not sure about Auto Train). The rails go through some pretty unpopulated areas and I don't get cell service much of the way from SC to Fla except for the big cities, of course. So I can't even tether for wifi. It would be a nice addition to the trains.

In my opinion the coaches aren't dim at all, not when you're trying to sleep. We bring eye masks, ball caps, hooded shirts we can pull over our eyes, etc. And ear plugs for the inevitable 3am yakety-yaks.

js said:
Thanks about the alcohol. It's just me and no parties so hopefully I won't become unruly or loud LOL Just wanted a drink or two in my seat at night and maybe it would make me more tired and help me sleep.

I wish there would be more security on the trains. Not having any security checks in this day and age is quite scarey and that means anyone can walk on and bring on and pack anything. Not fun on a plane or train.

I thought I read wireless but you would know that much more than I would so I guess the movies and a book will have to do. I have great noise blocking ear phones that I use on the plane that also plugs into my Kindle so I can use that for my movies. My dh thinks I'm crazy to want to spend a full day on the train myself but I really hate flying (although I do it) so taking train down and flying back. I'll have to fly roundtrip again in August so I'm really looking forward to the alone time LOL Wish I could have gotten the roomete but spending the $400 for just me when I know I'll just be watching movies and reading I just don't have to do.

Thanks so much!

You can ask once on board if any sleepers or roomette a are available.....they used to offer them at a reduced rate to fill them up, we've gotten roomettes for 150.00 and less which isn't bad for 2 people including meals from DC to Kissimmee....

Whether or not there's wireless depends on your train. Those in the northeast seem to have it. The ones to Florida don't that I know of (not sure about Auto Train). The rails go through some pretty unpopulated areas and I don't get cell service much of the way from SC to Fla except for the big cities, of course. So I can't even tether for wifi. It would be a nice addition to the trains.

In my opinion the coaches aren't dim at all, not when you're trying to sleep. We bring eye masks, ball caps, hooded shirts we can pull over our eyes, etc. And ear plugs for the inevitable 3am yakety-yaks.
Thanks so much for your information. I really appreciate it.
Are the trains clean looking and are they very cold?

You can ask once on board if any sleepers or roomette a are available.....they used to offer them at a reduced rate to fill them up, we've gotten roomettes for 150.00 and less which isn't bad for 2 people including meals from DC to Kissimmee....
Thanks SO much! I will certainly ask if there are rooms at a discounted price. I didn't know I could do this. It will be just me but would love this option.

js said:

Thanks SO much! I will certainly ask if there are rooms at a discounted price. I didn't know I could do this. It will be just me but would love this option.

Yes, the train cars tend to lean to the cold side.... The temp is set and not fooled with the whole trip... If its cold during the day, to make up for the sunshine hitting the car and a load of bodies, come night time when the sun goes down, it's down right frigid ....I personally take a blanket, where a hooded sweatshirt, have a stocking hat ready in case it's real cold... They can't please everyone so it's best to be prepared...

Extra sleepers, the roomettes is quite small, tight for two but perfect for solo travelers.... When we board in DC... We have to wait till after the conductor does a head count and checks against tickets as to what is available ... Usually by Richmond, we find him and ask about availability ... To do this, it's best to have your main suitcases in checked baggage since the sleepers are small, too hard moving thru the coach cars dragging your stuff, and it could be 2-3 coach cars, club car and dining car to get to the sleepers .... We just have small carryons plus our cooler.... Easy peasey ...

We got a great, large, rolling ruffle at Target that slides right under our feet and holds what we need for a couple of nights plus our 2 small blankets and travel pillows. Those are the bulkiest but most necessary takealongs for us and they will go in the bag. We also take some pop tarts and nuts and granola bars for snack and breakfast and get coffee on the dining car. When we take the train to WDW we're only on from Columbia SC to Kissimmee. I like letting Amtrak do the driving.

I forgot to address the train cleanliness..... Most have been decent but it's up to the passengers.... If you travel like a pig, the cars will show it! Car attendants come thru and ask passengers for their trash, there are receptacles on board to dispose of trash but some people are lazy so the attendant walking thru helps ....

Restrooms are about the same, very nice starting off and tend to get smelly and cluttered towards the end... Really depends on when you board and get off but they do try to keep it orderly.... And again it's the passengers that create the mess...

Bottom line is most lines are run fairly decent with an effort to keep the train clean and uncluttered.... Same for restrooms.... Seems to be more service points now headed south to dump and replenish the holding tanks than before.... All in all, quite clean or at least doable for a trip...

js said:

We took Amtrak in july from Penn Station to Orlando-i would not say the train was ever cold-we brought sweatshirts onboard but never even took them out of our bag! We had our own bathroom this trip but another time when we went to buffalo the bathrooms were pretty gross by the time we got there.

Just noticed this on Amtrak's website tonight ...

A new baggage policy is in effect as of September 10, 2012. The key changes include:

• Each passenger can check up to 4 bags - 2 free of charge and 2 for $20 each.
  • Each bag in checked baggage is limited to a size of 75 linear inches (length + width + height). Oversize baggage (76 - 100 linear inches) is accepted for $20.00/bag.
  • Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure.
  • Rates for storage, parcel check will increase to $4.00 ($5.50 at New York Penn Station) per bag for each 24 hour period.
  • Special item rates will increase from $5.00 to $10.00. Tandem bicycles and kayaks are no longer accepted.
  • Each bag checked must be packed within a suitable container; plastic/rubber storage containers are prohibited.

Carry-On Baggage

Each passenger can have a total of 2 carry-on bags, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23kg), 28 x 22 x 14 inches (700 x 550 x 350 millimeters).

Personal Items
Small items needed for the duration of the trip may be carried on the train and will not count toward the carry-on baggage limit.

• Required medical devices and medication
  • Pillows, blankets and outer garments
  • Coolers, purses or small bags no larger than 12” x 12” x 12”
  • Small electronic devices with protective cases

http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy

(To contrast in size, Delta Airlines' carry-on policy as stated on their website is: Baggage may not exceed 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).)

I do not know what the stated baggage policies were prior to this. Anyone know?

i have always wanted to travel by train since i've pretty much done everything else, but i have nowhere to go! one day i'll find a use for the train, haha

GetGlowing said:
Just noticed this on Amtrak's website tonight ...

A new baggage policy is in effect as of September 10, 2012. The key changes include:

[*]Each passenger can check up to 4 bags - 2 free of charge and 2 for $20 each.
[*]Each bag in checked baggage is limited to a size of 75 linear inches (length + width + height). Oversize baggage (76 - 100 linear inches) is accepted for $20.00/bag.
[*]Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure.
[*]Rates for storage, parcel check will increase to $4.00 ($5.50 at New York Penn Station) per bag for each 24 hour period.
[*]Special item rates will increase from $5.00 to $10.00. Tandem bicycles and kayaks are no longer accepted.
[*]Each bag checked must be packed within a suitable container; plastic/rubber storage containers are prohibited.

Carry-On Baggage

Each passenger can have a total of 2 carry-on bags, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23kg), 28 x 22 x 14 inches (700 x 550 x 350 millimeters).

Personal Items
Small items needed for the duration of the trip may be carried on the train and will not count toward the carry-on baggage limit.

[*]Required medical devices and medication
[*]Pillows, blankets and outer garments
[*]Coolers, purses or small bags no larger than 12” x 12” x 12”
[*]Small electronic devices with protective cases

http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy

(To contrast in size, Delta Airlines' carry-on policy as stated on their website is: Baggage may not exceed 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).)

I do not know what the stated baggage policies were prior to this. Anyone know?

There was a luggage policy before, only part I remember is the 50# limit..... Only enforced in checked baggage... As for carry ons.... I've seen people drag just about everything they own on the train with nothing being said.... Huge suitcases, quite a few carry ons, coolers etc and nothing said...plus alot of personal items and pillows and blankets and try to drag it all to their seats and placed in the overhead ....

We board at an unmanned station at 3am... Train stops for 3 minutes and if you're not at the boarding area ( which is about 150 yards from parking lot) train give a toot and pulls out... Doesn't wait for stragglers moseying down to the train....and as for what's being carried to board, nothing said from conductor... guess if you got it to the train and on board without assistance .. it goes..... We'll see!!

Good point about the unmanned station. I've used those before and didn't even have a ticket or a boarding pass, paid cash on the train. (We did have a reservation.) That was in the dark ages of 2011. LOL

I'm just now reading this thread. I haven't gotten through all of it yet but -

In 52 days BF and I are taking Amtrak from NY Penn Station to Kissimmee. He's done it before, but this is my first time. He did get us a roomette. I'm assuming that there are doors on our room? And the lights out policy doesn't pertain to us? I mean we aren't going to be blasting Megadeth at 3am but maybe quietly listening to a movie.

I've taken Amtrak before. From Philadelphia to NYC or Philly to CT. This is the first time I'm taking it to WDW. :cheer2: I just hope I can sleep!

I'm excited!!

In 52 days BF and I are taking Amtrak from NY Penn Station to Kissimmee. He's done it before, but this is my first time. He did get us a roomette. I'm assuming that there are doors on our room? And the lights out policy doesn't pertain to us? I mean we aren't going to be blasting Megadeth at 3am but maybe quietly listening to a movie.

I've taken Amtrak before. From Philadelphia to NYC or Philly to CT. This is the first time I'm taking it to WDW. :cheer2: I just hope I can sleep!

I'm excited!!

You are going to have the best time!

(1) Yes, there's a door on your room. You can lock it from the inside. But when you go to a meal together, you can't lock the door from the outside--only close it--so take your Big Valuables with you. Although there shouldn't be a problem. No one but other roomette passengers is allowed in the roomette area.

(2) The lights-out policy does not refer to you. There are curtains you can close so that no one in the corridor could possibly be disturbed by your lights--and, anyway, they could close their curtains if you left yours open.

(3) The beds aren't that bad, but it's much easier to sleep on the way home, because on the way there, you'll be excited about getting to WDW!

(4) Just in case you didn't know, you get your meals in the dining car free along with the roomette. That doesn't include the tip, but it does include the meal. They'll come around and ask you what time you want to come to the dining car. Hint: the earlier you go, the better the selection. Things sell out and they can't restock.

Getting ready to drive down to FL tomorrow, then we'll be taking the AutoTrain home for the 1st time ever on Oct. 28th!
Any last minute things I shouldn't forget to bring or do???

I'm excited!!

Miffy gave some good advise BUT I just wanna be sure you REALLY like that boyfriend of yours-cuz you're gonna be CLOSE for awhile:confused3

If you are good to go, I would agree with Miffy that you should take the earliest reservation for meals.Also if you would rather just have the meals(like a giant burger) in your room, they can be brought to you!! Then watch the movie and enjoy:hyper:

I get warm in the room so I bring a long t shirt to wear overnight-nobody can see my undies so who cares.

I sleep fine getting rocked to sleep and I hope you will too! It is true that the excitement makes it hard at first! Have fun!

Thanks Miffy and Lisa-upnorth!!!

By the time we leave we'll have been living together for 16 months. I think we can handle the train for a day. He'll probably walk the train for a bit and I typically have my nose in a book. :-D We survived a drive to Boston earlier this year.

I just wanted to be sure that the roomettes were private. I don't sleep well "in public". I've never been able to sleep on a plane or even the ferry I took in Alaska.

I also don't want to disturb others. He stays up later than I do. If we had our lights on I didn't want it to bother anyone.

I'm so excited!!! We leave in 51 days!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter