Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

lisa-upnorth

Disney Lover
I have posted my trip report in a longer version elsewhere on the Dis but felt that lately there were many amtrak train questions so I wanted to add the train portion here for you all! Feel free to ask me any questions:thumbsup2
:banana::banana::banana:
Hello fellow disney lovers! Welcome to my first trip report!We just returned from 11 days with the mouse and had a dream vacation time!I will post over the next few days and add some of my 1000+ pics too!Cast of characters is-
Me-age 38
Hubby-age49
Daughter-age 17
Daughter-age 4 1/2
As you can see we have a wide range to please!We stayed at Carr. Beach and loved it!A few topics-
1.Yes, we did matching themed outfits!
2.Yes, we ate too much!
3.Yes, it was HOT!!!!
4.Yes, the 4th of July fireworks were amazing!
5.Yes, we do know that it takes only 3 hours to fly to Disney and 28 hrs aboard Amtrak!(but where is your sense of adventure???)
WE LOVE THE TRAIN!

Vacation officially started on June 26th-when the car was packed after dinner:thumbsup2
We live in upstate NY on the Vermont border, in the adirondacks.Located between Lake George NY and Rutland Vermont areas.We are northerners that cannot wait for the sun!
Went to bed by 10pm on Friday 26th since we have to be up VERY early to head out to Amtrak Sat morning in the wee hrs.

3:30AM wake up time!!I had everyone clothing laid out next to their beds since I knew it would be too early for everyone.Hubby and I were up and ready in 10 min and then dressed the 4yr old as she was 1/2 asleep.All in the car by 4:05am and headed to Albany NY where we catch our first train.This is my 4th trip to Disney on Amtrak.Trip to Albany takes 2hrs. and our train leaves at 7AM so we are all set on time!We arrive and park($40 due when we return) enter and get tickets printed for train trip.Everyone is tired but very excited!!!We are off to DISNEY WORLD!
7:00AMTrain leaves Albany headed to NYC Penn station.-where we will connect to our 'overnight train'.We are having fun and enjoying the fabulous views of the Hudson River on this sunny morning!Saw tugboats and tankers and lighthouses-OH MY!We arrive in NYC by 10 AM and are greeted by the mobs of people there"We are not in Kansas anymore..."nothing like the rural life we have at home!:scared1:

6/27-28Boarded train in NYC by 11AM and headed south.We had 2 roomettes(private rooms with 2 beds each) and that includes all our meals in the dining car(you may also take meals back to your roomette).You are allowed to order whatever you like and non alcohol drinks are included.Enjoyed our meals and the views.Washington monuments for lunch!Went to bed by 9pm-so tired!

6/28 I SEE A PALM TREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We were all excited when we opened our curtains to see palm trees!It is always a fun game we play to see who will spot the first one!Also glad to find we only had 2 more hours until we were in Orlando!We are freakin out now!:wizard:
Arrived in Orlando by 11AM and headed right to Hertz counter inside train station.This was my 1st time renting a car-EVER!I had scoured the net gathering codes and prices for months.I had finally got Budget to give me a price of $295 for the trip(6/28-7/8 or 12 days)FABULOUS!Only catch was I had to get a shuttle to bring me to Budget since they were not at train station area.SOOOOO, I called Hertz and told them my deal and asked if they would like to do a price match of the competition-and they said yes!I arrived at the counter and the offer was honored and I was on my way in under 10 minutes!:cool1:They did not even ask for proof of the deal:confused3
The car had 150 miles on it!!!!A Kia Rio, and believe it or not, we fit 3 large and 2 med. suitcases inside it with 4 people!Like a clown car really!:confused3
Off to Carr Beach Resort(our 1st time staying on disney property

PICTURES COMING IN POSTS!!

DSCF1213-1.jpg
here we go!

DSCF1226.jpg
so tired

DSCF1216.jpg
the views!

DSCF1237.jpg

DSCF1242.jpg

DSCF1233.jpg
headed to NYC

Tips-Things to pack in a carry on bag to use on the train trip---Pack a nice tote bag with snacks,pens,crosswords,suduko,cards,brush,toothbrush,deodorant, clean t-shirt for everyone,small toy for little ones(like a barbie),maps to study of parks,chapstick,lap blanket,ipod,ID,cash,CAMERA!!

Great report and pictures! Thank you VERY much for posting here - I know many of us don't visit the trip reports boards (well, I don't, and I'm the one who 'matters' ;)).

Thanks so much for the report! We'd love to go on Amtrak to WDW but dh has heard sometimes there can be hours of delays. Have you ever encountered that?

Thanks for that report. I"ve always wanted to do the train to Florida..maybe spend a few days in DC along the way. Dh isn't nearly as thrilled with the idea.

Thanks for the report. We are thinking of taking the train from Atlanta to Albany for a non Disney vacation this summer. I will be following this thread closely.

I often read that people don't think that they can 'do it' meaning travel by train:confused3
You CAN!! It is much less stress than driving-and to me flying!
No bag fees either!You wanna take 2 giant suitcases per person-go for it!
Seeing the sights makes it like another vacation and not just transportation! We love it!
As for the delays-yes, it has happened to me. The worst was about 6 hours late and that was 13 years ago.You are sleeping through most of the time the train is stopped so you don't realize until you wake up and find out. That I would say is a worst case situation and not as common as some lead you to believe.To see stats for yourself, do what I do and check out their report on the latest train times at http://www.amtrakdelays.com
The week before I left every train I checked was running on time or within a 1/2 hr. We arrived on time to the minute!!
I can't say enough about how much fun and stressfree it is compared with other travel!:thumbsup2

Great report. Thanks for the information.

Our local Amtrak trains have internet access and power outlets for laptops did the roomettes have that? I could see me spending the day planning more for the days in the park.

How many times from NY to Orlando does the train stop? and for how long?

I've been on an Amtrak from RI to PA and there were stops all through CT and one long stop to switch from Electric to Diesel engines.

I would image in the trip home is not as exciting as the trip down but that is the case with flying and driving too.

So cool - we have always flown, but I think we can get AMtrack out of Poughkeepsie - but I did not see the sleeper train out of Penn. How do you reserve sleeper bunks ?

my family of 5 will be taking the train to orl from nyp in coach seats. do you have any suggestions on what to bring ? and will i be able to get into the dinng car because the train is sold out. thanks for any help.

Leaving Boston would be the same trains to WDW as we take-the silver star and the Silver Meteor. I have the route guides from the train.If I had to guess the number of stops I would say maybe 25 BUT most are only to pick up waiting guests and take about 4 minutes tops! In a trip I usually only notice we are stopped a few times-it is just very brief and a lot are at night.That said, some of the stops are about 15min or so and they announce that as they are getting close, telling you in case you wanted to get off and smoke(yuck!) or just to get some fresh air! I have jumped off a few times for a few minutes just to enjoy the feeling of the air warming!As I said up in northern new england often when we go it is snow here and 80 there so the trip down just gets warmer and warmer with each state. The train switch in NYC is also a longer stop but fun to see Penn Station and the wait isn't long.

As for plugging in laptops, I am not sure about access but I have seen people on them.There are plugs in the roomettes.

raydawn-I see 3 kiddies in your picture and assume they will be traveling with you and hubby.I am not gonna lie to you-it will be a long night for the adults:headache: Sleeping on the train in coach seats isn't the easiest thing with 3 kids BUT it can be done.It is hard to get them to sleep in a room surrounded by strangers.At least you are not heading down for a disney vacation-because then the lack of sleep hits hard the next day in a park:scared1:
You should try and head to the dining car the second it starts serving!!If the train is sold out and crowded the early bird will get the worm!PS-it is not that cheap so be prepared.Burgers are large and you could split one.
Based on your kids ages I would bring-lap blankets,ipods,hand held video games if they like them- I am not a fan but many are:) ,game the kids like to play like cards or Uno, snacks and juice boxes,small pillows(if you can), Sweatshirts(wear tees underneath and take of layers as you get hot),books and magazines.
Hope you have a great trip!

Pooh-you would head to Penn like me and get on train 91 to WDW.When you go online you enter the dates and train route, then after you select your train there is a place to add the roomette.It is not cheap! I will be honest, it is expensive BUT it is the only way to go for me so it is not about going the cheapest way.
We had 3 adults and 1 child. The total trip from Albany NY to Orlando and back-with 2 roomettes EACH WAY- came to $2402. That includes all meals for the 4 of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter