Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

When it’s the States, I prefer ones, dunno why. Maybe I’m afraid because I can’t differentiate the bills. Lol
yes thanks, but when you have come from a country with denomination like ours, it’s VERY easy to make an error with American money. It all look alike, lol
Yeah they do/did look really similar. They have been changing it up with more security such as security strips, adding colors, changing size of font, etc but there's not a difference in shape or anything so unless it's a newer bill with different colors at a quick glance no way to know what the denomination is and even with the colors you'd have to look a bit more because they are more subtle than other countries with colors on their currency. Except the newer $10 bill is probably the easiest because it's yellowish/organish hue.

We try to put different people on bills but let's be honest many of us couldn't name who is on which denomination with 100% accuracy :rotfl: Might be able to guess Benjamin Franklin is on the $100 bill because of the saying "all about the Benjamins" and I do think Washington on the $1 bill may be more known. I think most people just look at the number on the corner and call it good :rotfl2:

On an aside I wish more ATMs dealt with $10 amounts, majority are in $20 increments. When I was in college the ATM room (had different banks ATMs in it) at the Union gave out as small as $10 and it was glorious.

On an aside I wish more ATMs dealt with $10 amounts, majority are in $20 increments. When I was in college the ATM room (had different banks ATMs in it) at the Union gave out as small as $10 and it was glorious.

We have at least one bank that has changed their ATMs to dispense multiple denominations, $5 up to $50 for sure and maybe $100s. Not sure about the last one I never look that high. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah they do/did look really similar. They have been changing it up with more security such as security strips, adding colors, changing size of font, etc but there's not a difference in shape or anything so unless it's a newer bill with different colors at a quick glance no way to know what the denomination is and even with the colors you'd have to look a bit more because they are more subtle than other countries with colors on their currency. Except the newer $10 bill is probably the easiest because it's yellowish/organish hue.

We try to put different people on bills but let's be honest many of us couldn't name who is on which denomination with 100% accuracy :rotfl: Might be able to guess Benjamin Franklin is on the $100 bill because of the saying "all about the Benjamins" and I do think Washington on the $1 bill may be more known. I think most people just look at the number on the corner and call it good :rotfl2:

There’s a credit union near my home that has an ATM that dispenses in $5 increments. I love it!

There’s a credit union near my home that has an ATM that dispenses in $5 increments. I love it!
For a time my bank's ATMs in grocery stores only dispensed $100 bills. I got cash to buy food at a minor league baseball game. Not sure the hot dog vendor would appreciate have to make change for a $100 bill. Fortunately, the bank had a branch down the street and I went in and exchanged the $100 bills for smaller bills. Teller said they were experimenting with just $100 bills in the store locations because the average withdrawal at grocery store locations was in even $100 amounts, and they wouldn't have to restock the machines as often with the bigger bills. But now all their ATM's dispense $20 bills.

Currently at -7C which feels like summer.

Something like that here too, and the windshield, so maybe only -20 lol
But the weather has mean horrendous, we had an ice storm Tuesday ALL through Wednesday, all I am not sure how we didn’t lose power, but alas we did Not. And then got 15-20 cm to add to this glorious crap NOBODY salted, so yeah it’s Montreal on ice. 120 calls an hour of people falling Wednesday 🙄. We are getting more and more snow This week. Not sure where we will put it. Come on St. Patrick’s Day, ☘️

yes thanks, but when you have come from a country with denomination like ours, it’s VERY easy to make an error with American money. It all look alike, lol

When I travelled as a kid, my dad put post-it notes on $20 bills and above to warn us/him.

A lot of countries go one step further and the bills are not only different colours, they are different sizes.

We have at least one bank that has changed their ATMs to dispense multiple currencies, $5 up to $50 for sure and maybe $100s. Not sure about the last one I never look that high. ;)

Do you mean multiple denominations? I know some ATMs do dispense multiple currencies (though I think I’ve only seen Canadian and American in Canada) but you seem to be talking about all Canadian currency.

Here, most ATMs given Swiss Francs and Euros (I live about 5km from France, so there is a lot of cross border traveling, so that makes sense). They generally only dispense down to 20 CHF (and up to 500 CHF - though there are also 1000 CHF and 2000 CHF notes). If you are taking about a higher amount (not sure what the trigger is), the machine will ask if you want a mix of smaller notes (and will tell you what those bills will be) or big note(s).

Do you mean multiple denominations? I know some ATMs do dispense multiple currencies (though I think I’ve only seen Canadian and American in Canada) but you seem to be talking about all Canadian currency.

Here, most ATMs given Swiss Francs and Euros (I live about 5km from France, so there is a lot of cross border traveling, so that makes sense). They generally only dispense down to 20 CHF (and up to 500 CHF - though there are also 1000 CHF and 2000 CHF notes). If you are taking about a higher amount (not sure what the trigger is), the machine will ask if you want a mix of smaller notes (and will tell you what those bills will be) or big note(s).

Sorry yes, I did mean denominations. Although my bank has ATMs that will also dispense US currency along with Canadian.

When I travelled as a kid, my dad put post-it notes on $20 bills and above to warn us/him.

A lot of countries go one step further and the bills are not only different colours, they are different sizes.
They are same size in the U.S. as an anti-counterfeit measure as well as about uniformity. About 100 years ago this was decided along with due to many types of currency available size was reduced to a uniform size.

It's really fascinating (to me at least) to see how money is made. There's been a few documentaries on it. Paper and coins. The coins are amazing to see how a person carves out the miniscule design to use as the master cast.

For the security stuff if anyone is interested here's a good website that details all the present iterations of paper denominations https://www.uscurrency.gov/denominations

I just wanted to add to the chip discussion - the prices are OUTRAGEOUS!

Here in NY, it's 2 for $9. That's the "family size" but that is not a large bag anymore. It has been "shrunk." Used to be 2 for $5. I mean it's absolutely astounding the change in price.

Same for pretzels.

We have at least one bank that has changed their ATMs to dispense multiple denominations, $5 up to $50 for sure and maybe $100s. Not sure about the last one I never look that high. ;)

My bank put in new machines that are so awesome. You can choose exactly what amount and what combination of bills you want - singles, 5’s, 10’s, 20’s and 50’s. It’s so nice to be able to go grab 10 singles from it, etc.

My bank put in new machines that are so awesome. You can choose exactly what amount and what combination of bills you want - singles, 5’s, 10’s, 20’s and 50’s. It’s so nice to be able to go grab 10 singles from it, etc.
That would be nice but in Canada, if the ATM gave out $1’s or $2’s it would be more like a slot machine. :laughing:

:eek: Wait for it...I just watched a CTV news report on the Russia/Ukraine situation and the resulting sanctions being imposed by allies. Retaliation can be expected in the form of Russian oil being cut off (delivered to eastern Canada, where it is then refined in New Brunswick). They predict gasoline prices in Ontario/Quebec/Atlantic Canada to top $2/litre within a month. :faint:

:eek: Wait for it...I just watched a CTV news report on the Russia/Ukraine situation and the resulting sanctions being imposed by allies. Retaliation can be expected in the form of Russian oil being cut off (delivered to eastern Canada, where it is then refined in New Brunswick). They predict gasoline prices in Ontario/Quebec/Atlantic Canada to top $2/litre within a month. :faint:

Oh puke

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter