Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Is the Canadian dollar worth more than the US dollar? I’m trying to figure out the inflation difference between our two countries.
Ha! Not by a looooooong shot. Current exchange is brutal. I just bought $300 USD as pocket cash for a trip I'm taking and it cost me $392 CAD with fees. It was a dumb thing to do since I have to exchange it into local currency at my destination anyway. Maybe I'll save it for a trip we're making stateside in April, which we'd have take the hit on anyway, and just take Canadian this time.

No. Who is he?

He's a very big part of Canadian history, Manitoba especially. He's the founder of Manitoba and was Metis and fought for their rights. He was executed in Saskatchewan in 1885 because he was convicted of treason. It's a very interesting history which would be worthwhile reading, since you seem to like history a lot.

No worries, anytime is fine.

1) I would say Mount Royal
2) There is St. Helene’s Island, which will be where the race will be held, so if they will be in town a few days prior or after would be quite the place to see. La Ronde is there. There are lots of trails, music outdoors on the weekend . The Expo 67 Biosphere is left, a lot to see. This can be connected from the metro/subway
3) Botanical Gardens is just magical to see

My favourite place is Old Montreal, so if they are staying downtown, they can easily walk, it’s cobbled streets. Very Europe-like, have a coffee and a baguette, and there is a lot to Explore

In the summer every week there is a festival, comedy, fireworks, jazz, etc. Hopefully we return to that.
Hope this helps. Can you tell I can’t wait for summer 😊
I was going to suggest Mount Royal as well. It’s beautiful at night to see the city all lit up. I mostly remember a building with a triangle roof..maybe it was green as well? It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve been there.

We are all heading to Toronto in June for my youngest brothers wedding and my daughter is going a week early to spend time in Montreal. I’m very jealous.
I am so sorry it took me way too long to get back to answer this :o

I passed along the information when I saw them (well my sister-in-law) and they were just in the early stages of planning so they hadn't done much researching. She put it on her phone list of things to look into. Mount Royal looks quite beautiful but so does Old Montreal (actually this would be one of my have to if I were going up there looking into it). Old Montreal seemed to pique her interest a good amount.

Really appreciate all the information :) and I'll ask here again if they ask me again for suggestions.

He's a very big part of Canadian history, Manitoba especially. He's the founder of Manitoba and was Metis and fought for their rights. He was executed in Saskatchewan in 1885 because he was convicted of treason. It's a very interesting history which would be worthwhile reading, since you seem to like history a lot.
Thanks. I’ll definitely check it out. :-) :thumbsup2

Canadians, are there any American cereals that the USA has that you don’t get or haven’t tried yet? Also do you call oatmeal something different?
I grew up on Malt-O-Meal which is not oatmeal not cereal. It's cream of wheat with malt added. I grew up on the chocolate flavor. I have one box in my pantry at the moment. I def. had traditional cereal too (Cinnamon Toast Crunch being my favorite) but Malt-O-Meal was always a good staple too.

Happy President’s Day to all Americans. Do Canadians have a holiday for their first PM?
I don't usually have much to say about particular Federal holidays as in critiquing them but President's Day is one that is just sorta a weird one. It's like a mismash of who celebrates it, whom they celebrate it for, and all sorts of things. Like it sorta started out as about Washington and later Lincoln's birthdays 🤷‍♀️

It's not even a holiday many companies have as off but schools tend to observe it.

Looks like you get St. John Baptise Day in June to make up for it. :goodvibes I also just read you call Victoria Day (3rd Monday in May) something else - is that true?

We don’t get the August civic holiday, so we are down one from others I believe. We do have St. John the Baptist yes, but, but missing today and August civic doesn’t make it up.
Yes, National Patriotes Day, but being old school, I don’t call it that, I will say Victoria Day, or the Queen’s Birthday

Looks like you get St. John Baptise Day in June to make up for it. :goodvibes I also just read you call Victoria Day (3rd Monday in May) something else - is that true?

Does Alberta have a Civic Holiday in the Summer? In BC we get BC Day in August. St Jean Baptiste in Quebec is equivalent to that.

I grew up calling Victoria Day “ Victoria Day” in Quebec but maybe things have changed in 22 years.

We don’t get the August civic holiday, so we are down one from others I believe. We do have St. John the Baptist yes, but, but missing today and August civic doesn’t make it up.
Yes, National Patriotes Day, but being old school, I don’t call it that, I will say Victoria Day, or the Queen’s Birthday

Ah! There is my answer. We were posting at the same time. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter