Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

:eek: Wait for it...I just watched a CTV news report on the Russia/Ukraine situation and the resulting sanctions being imposed by allies. Retaliation can be expected in the form of Russian oil being cut off (delivered to eastern Canada, where it is then refined in New Brunswick). They predict gasoline prices in Ontario/Quebec/Atlantic Canada to top $2/litre within a month. :faint:

That’s $8 per gallon (roughly) for anyone interested

:eek: Wait for it...I just watched a CTV news report on the Russia/Ukraine situation and the resulting sanctions being imposed by allies. Retaliation can be expected in the form of Russian oil being cut off (delivered to eastern Canada, where it is then refined in New Brunswick). They predict gasoline prices in Ontario/Quebec/Atlantic Canada to top $2/litre within a month. :faint:

Here in BC prices have reached $1.80/liter for the last little while, I can easily see them hitting $2.00 in the very near future. :crazy2:

I have never been happier to drive a PHEV.

Here in BC prices have reached $1.80/liter for the last little while, I can easily see them hitting $2.00 in the very near future. :crazy2:

I have never been happier to drive a PHEV.
Refined gas reaches western Canada from other sources so the shortage issue should t be the same but it wouldn’t surprise me if the national retailers spread out their cost increases nation-wide. :( Not sure if you live in Vancouver but a recent visit there showed that city to be very well equipped to accommodate EV’s. Not the same infrastructure by far yet across the rest of the country. DH drives a hybrid - it’s the most practical approach for us.

Here our metro experienced an increase in 1 week 4X the national increase. The average in my area is about 34 cents higher per gallon than a week ago but about 40 cents higher than a month ago.

Luckily I filled up before this mess (just needed gas last week) at $2.94 per gallon (which was already less than some of the other gas stations). The metro's average right now sits at $3.45 per gallon.

Just keep in mind I'm well aware of the differences in cost in Canada and in Europe but to us here it's a large increase week over week.

:( Sobered and feeling impotently infuriated at how needlessly dependent we have allowed ourselves to become on commodities and production in Russia and China.:furious:

Just got gas $158.9 but suppose to go up 6 cents overnight.

I’m East of Toronto ,Canada.

Just got gas $158.9 but suppose to go up 6 cents overnight.

I’m East of Toronto ,Canada.
Also just east of T.O.

Feeling pretty lucky that my regular gas station (Ultramar) is still at 1.55.9. I just topped up an hour ago after just gassing up on Saturday, to beat the midnight rise in price.

Also just east of T.O.

Feeling pretty lucky that my regular gas station (Ultramar) is still at 1.55.9. I just topped up an hour ago after just gassing up on Saturday, to beat the midnight rise in price.
Yeah saw it cheaper yesterday , should have went to Costco but knew it would be crazy.

Help me out here what's the format on y'all's gas mean?

Ours is like
(months old photo from google from a gas station near me) and obviously ours are based off of gallons and I think y'all's is litre

So like the photo from Aladora says 194.9 means..?

Yeah saw it cheaper yesterday , should have went to Costco but knew it would be crazy.

I checked the Costco FB page i follow first before heading out.. a 45 min to one hour wait and the price was $1.55 - i checked gas buddy then just went to Ultramar. I just checked Costco again… still an hour wait. In the snow with engine running which defeats the purpose of the savings. 🤣🙄

My husband filled up for me yesterday at 168.9 😬
Working from home now, so definitely saving there. My son filled his truck, he told me it was 175$
@Aladora I’m not sure what I’m staring at more, the gas price or green grass. :rotfl2:We have so much snow/ice/snow, that I forget what it looks like.

Prices are insane, I’m about to do an online grocery order, I may need an Ativan first.

Help me out here what's the format on y'all's gas mean?

Ours is like
View attachment 651501
(months old photo from google from a gas station near me) and obviously ours are based off of gallons and I think y'all's is litre

So like the photo from Aladora says 194.9 means..?

when you do the litre to gallon and the Canadian to US conversion it comes out to approx $5.81/Gal.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Last edited:
My husband filled up for me yesterday at 168.9 😬
Working from home now, so definitely saving there. My son filled his truck, he told me it was 175$
@Aladora I’m not sure what I’m staring at more, the gas price or green grass. :rotfl2:We have so much snow/ice/snow, that I forget what it looks like.

Prices are insane, I’m about to do an online grocery order, I may need an Ativan first.
It might be expensive to live here but you really cannot beat the weather here in Victoria! 😊

I probably should not post this but I took this pic on February 20th.6D870C30-2B9C-412C-A495-1EB454B98B19.jpeg

when you do the litre to gallon and the Canadian to US conversion it comes out to approx $5.81/Gal.

Edited to correct autocorrect.
Price per liter. Approx 3.78 liters per gallon.

Per AMERICAN gallon. A CANADIAN gallon is about 4.5 litres (just in case anyone is using the Canadian gallon definition).

Gas here is about 1.90CHF/litre - which is about 2.62CAD/litre or 2.06USD/litre. For Americans, that's about 9.90CAD/American gallon or 7.79USD/American gallon.

Luckily, I don't actually have a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter