Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

I will be honest...I haven't tried them side by side and I haven't eaten either one in decades, so I am going to refer to an article on Mashed that compares the two. It states:

"The ingredients in Canadian Kraft Dinner look similar at first: pasta, cheese sauce, and the same spices for color (via Amazon). However, two ingredients in Kraft Dinner are noticeably absent from the American version: Cheddar cheese and butter. "

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/634065/is-th...-and-kraft-macaroni-cheese/?utm_campaign=clip

It goes on to say that "when BuzzFeed held a taste test between the two, Canadians overwhelmingly chose Kraft Dinner and Americans stuck with Kraft Macaroni & Cheese." That right there indicates to me that there must be some type of difference and that people prefer the one they have been raised on.

What I can definitively say, is that there are a number of products that carry the same labels in both Canada and the US, but which have different recipes/flavour profiles that are noticeable between the two countries. For example, my daughter can actually smell the difference between Lipton chicken noodle soup (the dry packet version) simmering on the stove and finds it a very different taste, between the Canadian and American versions. I also have a friend that used to bring back cases of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, because the Canadian recipe tasted better than the American version. While products between the two countries look similar, I would never out-right assume that they taste identical.
From what I know they are 99% the same thing. It’s some of the minor ingredients that might be different (slightly different recipe). Ours comes with different flavor options as well, including my favorite, white cheddar. The recipe/flavor might be different because our two countries have different standards for ingredients and preservatives as well.

From what I know they are 99% the same thing. It’s some of the minor ingredients that might be different (slightly different recipe). Ours comes with different flavor options as well, including my favorite, white cheddar. The recipe/flavor might be different because our two countries have different standards for ingredients and preservatives as well.
Well, there are always the Flavour Boost packets...

"The pasta company first debuted the Flavor Boost concept for its Kraft Dinner boxes in Canada. The "KD Flavour Boost" packets include unique options like Ghost Pepper, Jalapeno, Poutine, Butter Chicken, and Buffalo Wings (via Kraft Heinz).
There was even a Cotton Candy flavor..."

(ETA, because the link was incorrect) Read More: https://www.mashed.com/737316/krafts-new-flavor-boosts-will-upgrade-your-boxed-mac-and-cheese/

Well, there are always the Flavour Boost packets...

"The pasta company first debuted the Flavor Boost concept for its Kraft Dinner boxes in Canada. The "KD Flavour Boost" packets include unique options like Ghost Pepper, Jalapeno, Poutine, Butter Chicken, and Buffalo Wings (via Kraft Heinz).
There was even a Cotton Candy flavor..."

(ETA, because the link was incorrect) Read More: https://www.mashed.com/737316/krafts-new-flavor-boosts-will-upgrade-your-boxed-mac-and-cheese/
In the USA we add our own fresh extra ingredients. We try to avoid any extra artificial foods when possible since it’s unfortunately in many of our foods. Organic foods really need to become cheaper in the USA in the future.

In the USA we add our own fresh extra ingredients. We try to avoid any extra artificial foods when possible since it’s unfortunately in many of our foods. Organic foods really need to become cheaper in the USA in the future.
We add hot dogs or ketchup. (Not me personally, but it is what I have known many Canadians to do.) If you have KD and you have ketchup, you are good to go.

I have never seen anybody in the US (maybe I don't hang out with the right people???) add anything to their Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, healthy or otherwise, but that could be a regional thing.

We add hot dogs or ketchup. (Not me personally, but it is what I have known many Canadians to do.) If you have KD and you have ketchup, you are good to go.

I have never seen anybody in the US (maybe I don't hang out with the right people???) add anything to their Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, healthy or otherwise, but that could be a regional thing.
:lovestruc KD and wieners - the savior of many a "too tired, too rushed, I'm just phoning it in tonight" dinners. And the beauty of it is that my people actually look forward to it. :laughing:Throw in peas and it's practically a "sausage and vegetable pasta" casserole. ;)

Canada, do you have Applebee’s, Red Robin’s or Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants? 🤔 🇨🇦
That depends on where you live in Canada. Some American chains only have a few locations in the entire country here, like Krispy Kreme donuts. Others have expanded and have lots of locations. We don’t have Red Robin’s in Ontario, but it literally just came up in conversation with a BC friend yesterday! There was an Applebee’s close to us but it’s gone now, as is the one that was in Niagara Falls last time I was there. Buffalo Wild Wing seems to be one that is plentiful across the country.

For Kraft Dinner, I grew up eating it with canned beams, like the beans in a sauce. My son and husband like ketchup, and my daughter won’t touch it lol. And now I want beans and KD for lunch….

We often add tuna and frozen peas.

Usually garlic, pepper, and a veggie.:confused3

That depends on where you live in Canada. Some American chains only have a few locations in the entire country here, like Krispy Kreme donuts. Others have expanded and have lots of locations. We don’t have Red Robin’s in Ontario, but it literally just came up in conversation with a BC friend yesterday! There was an Applebee’s close to us but it’s gone now, as is the one that was in Niagara Falls last time I was there. Buffalo Wild Wing seems to be one that is plentiful across the country.

For Kraft Dinner, I grew up eating it with canned beams, like the beans in a sauce. My son and husband like ketchup, and my daughter won’t touch it lol. And now I want beans and KD for lunch….

Buffalo Wild Wings are really only in Ontario. There are 13 franchises in Canada and 11 are in Ontario.

Buffalo Wild Wings are really only in Ontario. There are 13 franchises in Canada and 11 are in Ontario.
In the USA, they are usually really busy on NFL/soccer days, so I wonder how they will split the restaurant fans up due to kickoff times. 🤔

Great job on the win Canada. Fully deserved. We will both be qualified probably by the 24th of March game. See you in the World Cup.
⚽🇺🇸:worship:🇨🇦
So….does that mean we are in the gold match or whatever it’s called? I follow no sports really, but intrigued by this! The game today was in my hometown.

I add a little hot sauce and shredded cheddar or Mexican blend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter