Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

I’m curious Canadians, how big is Canada national team merchandise in your country? Team USA merchandise is always big around any major sports during the year here in the USA. So I’m curious if you think people will buy Team Canada merchandise if Canada qualifies for the WC or just for the Winter Olympics in general? Thanks.
🇺🇸 🇨🇦 🤔:jumping3:

I think cold weather and soccer make for something hearty. Canadian foods at my house for sports days range from Montreal Smoked meat sandwiches (similar to pastrami or corned beef) stacked high on rye bread with a good old yellow mustard.. or montreal bagels with the filling of choice… Also love a great classic poutine (with squeaky cheese curds & brown gravy).. Or a hearty homemade beef barley soup… Maybe a home made meat pie. Canadian wines from Ontario or BC (I prefer red) or regional or craft beers like Moosehead or Steamwhistle. Sweet treats … butter tarts (with raisins), naniamo bars, maple fudge..
Throw in a bag of ketchup potato chips and you’ve got a quintessential CDN watching party!
More great ideas!
:confused3The problem with the chips though, like Coffee Crisp chocolate bars - are they even available in the States where Buzz is?

A few years ago now, a good friend of ours (ex-pat American) got his Canadian citizenship and we threw him a party. The menu was bacon-wrapped steak bites (Alberta AAA natch, ;) ) with saskatoon/maple chutney, classic poutine and butter tarts, along with a bunch of locally produced versions of less iconic things, and one of these:

More great ideas!

:confused3The problem with the chips though, like Coffee Crisp chocolate bars - are they even available in the States where Buzz is?

A few years ago now, a good friend of ours (ex-pat American) got his Canadian citizenship and we threw him a party. The menu was bacon-wrapped steak bites (Alberta AAA natch, ;) ) with saskatoon/maple chutney, classic poutine and butter tarts, along with a bunch of locally produced versions of less iconic things, and one of these:
View attachment 642919
Tim Hortons is in the USA but in very limited locations. America runs on Dunkin for a reason. Coffee crisp bars are not available in the USA, only Canada. 😋 :-)

And to my understanding you do not have ketchup or all-dressed chips either, right?
Whole Foods started carrying "Canadian-inspired" all-dressed chips about a year before pandemic hit. When companies started dialing back their offerings to survive the demand, the all-dressed chips disappeared and haven't been back. It was so awesome not having to drive to Montreal to stock up (not that we could cross the border to shop conveniently anymore anyway).

I think cold weather and soccer make for something hearty. Canadian foods at my house for sports days range from Montreal Smoked meat sandwiches (similar to pastrami or corned beef) stacked high on rye bread with a good old yellow mustard.. or montreal bagels with the filling of choice… Also love a great classic poutine (with squeaky cheese curds & brown gravy).. Or a hearty homemade beef barley soup… Maybe a home made meat pie. Canadian wines from Ontario or BC (I prefer red) or regional or craft beers like Moosehead or Steamwhistle. Sweet treats … butter tarts (with raisins), naniamo bars, maple fudge..
Throw in a bag of ketchup potato chips and you’ve got a quintessential CDN watching party!

Lots of good stuff in that post but Moosehead is not a craft beer. It has been brewed since 1867.

Good luck tomorrow Canada. While I hope the USA wins, I also want you to qualify as well (preferably in 2nd place). Also when you do qualify, please rewrite this song for a modern audience. What Canadian singer would you want to rewrite a 2022 version?

Just for the record our last song from 2014 wasn’t great either:
Not trying to turn this into a soccer centric thread. I just thought the culture difference in songs was interesting. 🤔

I had a whole piece written (see below) about Canadian foods you could make, but it felt disjointed and wasn't really a helpful menu. If it were me, I would be making the Le Cellier Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup recipe (I have made it before and it turns out great). You can serve it with a side of bannock (a kind of fry bread), if you really wanted to, or just use any kind of baguette and pretend it is from Quebec. Serve a Canadian Caesar salad (see below), and then choose either Nanaimo Bars or butter tarts for dessert. That's it. Serve some Canadian beers or rye and Coke or whatever else you fancy. Hope this helps. Enjoy the game!

Okay, here is what I originally wrote, just in case you want to delve into some other stuff.

Honestly, there are so many Canadian dishes to choose from, but many of them revolve around items that require being in Canada to access the ingredients, like Saskatoon berries, Alberta beef, Arctic char, PEI potatoes, etc. I'm going to avoid saying poutine, but will try to give you some options, as well as suggesting an array of red and white foods instead of/in addition to, like Caprese salad, baked pasta in a red sauce, vanilla ice cream with strawberries, etc. It might make things easier.

Main dishes: Tourtiere pie from Quebec, BC salmon, donairs, bison burgers, PEI mussels
Side dishes: Kraft Dinner (what we call KD...seriously, it is the most popular grocery store item in the country), bannock from the First Nations people, a Canadian Caesar salad, which is like a regular Caesar salad, except you add bacon bits to it.
Drinks: Caesars (not my favourite, but they are Canadian) or ice wine
Desserts: Nanaimo bars are a great no-bake dessert from British Columbia; butter tarts are also Canadian and sooooo good; home-made beaver tails (a fried dough that is spread with whatever toppings you like, such as Nutella)

See also: 21 Canadian Foods and 50 of the Most Canadian Foods.

Isn't Kraft Dinner the same thing as Kraft macaroni and cheese (in the US)? Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and always preferred it to my mom's homemade mac and cheese.

Tim Hortons is in the USA but in very limited locations. America runs on Dunkin for a reason. Coffee crisp bars are not available in the USA, only Canada. 😋 :-)

They are available, but not widespread. I can't speak for all border-area towns, but I do buy them in northern Maine when I'm up there in the summer (ketchup chips are there, too... I just don't like them.) I can also get Coffee Crisp locally at World Market and Wegmans. It's my favorite candy, so I have great interest in knowing where to find it!

...Main dishes: Tourtiere pie from Quebec, BC salmon, donairs, bison burgers, PEI mussels
Side dishes: Kraft Dinner (what we call KD...seriously, it is the most popular grocery store item in the country), bannock from the First Nations people, a Canadian Caesar salad, which is like a regular Caesar salad, except you add bacon bits to it.
Drinks: Caesars (not my favourite, but they are Canadian) or ice wine
Desserts: Nanaimo bars are a great no-bake dessert from British Columbia; butter tarts are also Canadian and sooooo good; home-made beaver tails (a fried dough that is spread with whatever toppings you like, such as Nutella)

See also: 21 Canadian Foods and 50 of the Most Canadian Foods.
I meant to ask you - how does our KD compare to what the Americans call Kraft Mac and Cheese? Same identical thing? Kind of different? The noodles look a little different in pictures and maybe it doesn't taste quite the same? Do tell.

Not in this Province
No to all those restaurants
No to Red Lobster as well (many moons ago we did)

Edit, I just saw we do have one Buffalo Wild Wings, I had no idea.

Last edited:
Canada, do you have Applebee’s, Red Robin’s or Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants? 🤔 🇨🇦
Applebee's and Buffalo Wild Wings, yes, here in Calgary. We used to have 2 locations of Red Robin but they both closed more than a decade ago so I'm not even sure we're talking about the same chain.

Isn't Kraft Dinner the same thing as Kraft macaroni and cheese (in the US)? Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and always preferred it to my mom's homemade mac and cheese.
I meant to ask you - how does our KD compare to what the Americans call Kraft Mac and Cheese? Same identical thing? Kind of different? The noodles look a little different in pictures and maybe it doesn't taste quite the same? Do tell.

I will be honest...I haven't tried them side by side and I haven't eaten either one in decades, so I am going to refer to an article on Mashed that compares the two. It states:

"The ingredients in Canadian Kraft Dinner look similar at first: pasta, cheese sauce, and the same spices for color (via Amazon). However, two ingredients in Kraft Dinner are noticeably absent from the American version: Cheddar cheese and butter. "

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/634065/is-th...-and-kraft-macaroni-cheese/?utm_campaign=clip

It goes on to say that "when BuzzFeed held a taste test between the two, Canadians overwhelmingly chose Kraft Dinner and Americans stuck with Kraft Macaroni & Cheese." That right there indicates to me that there must be some type of difference and that people prefer the one they have been raised on.

What I can definitively say, is that there are a number of products that carry the same labels in both Canada and the US, but which have different recipes/flavour profiles that are noticeable between the two countries. For example, my daughter can actually smell the difference between Lipton chicken noodle soup (the dry packet version) simmering on the stove and finds it a very different taste, between the Canadian and American versions. I also have a friend that used to bring back cases of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, because the Canadian recipe tasted better than the American version. While products between the two countries look similar, I would never out-right assume that they taste identical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter