Am I going to be scared??

RuthieT

DIS Veteran
Tell me about the cruise to Alaska?? Can you see land? I am wondering if I am going to be too freaked out on the cruise to enjoy it....

Unlike the Caribbean. 90% of the Alaskan cruise is in the Inside Passage where you will see land on both sides of the ship.

Our Alaskan cruise was very smooth and you could see land close by on both sides of the ship most of the time.

You will really never know till you get on the ship. Do you get motion sickness easily, don't like being in the water or a boat or ship on the water? We have been on a couple of rough rides and while I absolutely loved if others did not.

If there are any concerns about motion sickness, the patch or meclazine can help out. As far as being on the boat I feel super secure, there are interior places you can hang out to get away from the ocean view if you need to.

What concerns/fears do you have?

I was so worried about this same thing! It was our first cruise ever. Once we got to port and I saw how huge the ships were I got freaked out for a minute. The next morning The Wonder was there and I was so excited that I forgot about my nervousness. Once onboard I honestly didn't give it any more thought!! We sailed June of this year to Alaska. The water was calm and we could see land almost the whole time. I wasn't nervous at all! Have a great cruise!!

Another way you could look at this is that you are on a huge ship. Each deck is over 3 football fields long and it is over 100 feet wide; about 138,000 square feet. This makes each deck the equivalent of 1/2 the size of a Walmart Supercenter. If you stayed away from the sides of the ship, even on the pool deck, you would not have to look out over the water.

Tell me about the cruise to Alaska?? Can you see land? I am wondering if I am going to be too freaked out on the cruise to enjoy it....
I can't say whether you will be scared or not. I guess it depends on what frightens you. You will see icebergs in the water, but most of them are pretty small.

I never realized until recently that there are quite a few people that get a little freaked out when they get out into the middle of the ocean and can't see land. There were a couple people on one of our trips that wouldn't leave the interior of the ship when it was out at sea. To me it seems that if you're that bothered by it, why in the world would you choose to go on a cruise.

I agree with what Mirthful said- You can see land the majority of the time on the Alaskan cruises, if you're looking out and all you see is the ocean, then go to the other side of the ship and chances are you'll see land. And the cruise is incredibly smooth, I could barely tell the ship was moving unlike in the Caribbean or open waters where the ship has the waves rocking.

I never realized until recently that there are quite a few people that get a little freaked out when they get out into the middle of the ocean and can't see land. There were a couple people on one of our trips that wouldn't leave the interior of the ship when it was out at sea. To me it seems that if you're that bothered by it, why in the world would you choose to go on a cruise.

Maybe first cruise and not sure if it will be a problem? I know I didn't know what to expect on our first cruise, but now I can't get enough.

You will really never know till you get on the ship. Do you get motion sickness easily, don't like being in the water or a boat or ship on the water? We have been on a couple of rough rides and while I absolutely loved if others did not.

If there are any concerns about motion sickness, the patch or meclazine can help out. As far as being on the boat I feel super secure, there are interior places you can hang out to get away from the ocean view if you need to.

What concerns/fears do you have?
Do they sell the motion sickness products on board or you have to bring with ?

My memory is that they do sell them on board, but really expensive. I always bring from home just in case & its much cheaper, plus it works better if you start it once you board the ship, not once you get sick. Better safe than sorry.

My memory is that they do sell them on board, but really expensive. I always bring from home just in case & its much cheaper, plus it works better if you start it once you board the ship, not once you get sick. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks much !!

They do sell some products on board. As mentioned, quite pricey. And you can get free meclizine from the health center.

I'd suggest buying something of your own and giving it a try at home (to see if there are any ill effects from it) before using on the cruise.

They do sell some products on board. As mentioned, quite pricey. And you can get free meclizine from the health center.

I'd suggest buying something of your own and giving it a try at home (to see if there are any ill effects from it) before using on the cruise.
Good idea !!! Thanks !

So are Alaskan waters more calmer for Cruising vs Caribbean waters? We are going on a Caribbean Cruise in a couple months and are prone to seasickness.

So are Alaskan waters more calmer for Cruising vs Caribbean waters? We are going on a Caribbean Cruise in a couple months and are prone to seasickness.
Well, they are calmer in the inside passage. You're protected from the open ocean on the west side of the passage.

The roughest seas we had on our Alaska cruises was the night we left from Vancouver until we got into the inside passage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter