• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: Summer 2011 Edition!

We are 13 days away, and I am going out of my mind with excitement. We always stay at POP, so this is a huge deal for us. I have not been to the Poly in 21 years, so I am sure much has changed. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is DH and DD's first Poly trip. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

WOW, 21 yrs & I think 1yr is to long to wait! I'm excited for you, take time to enjoy the resort, you're paying a pretty penny, so relax & take it all in, preferably in a hammock on beach.:wizard:

Our Poly vacation has come and gone...we've been home for nearly 3 weeks now and this is my first venture back to the boards because I've been in mourning over the end of a fabulous 2 week vacation.

Great pics, I know what you mean this was the first year, I continued the thread after my POLY trip, I usually mourn then return about 3 months before next trip!:thumbsup2

Returned 2 weeks ago from the Poly. Great trip as always but was a little disapointed at the lack of music around the resort. Hopefully it was just a temporary thing but there was no music playing around the grounds at all, only in the GCH and underwater in the volcano pool. Strange.

I hope I can get to sleep :rotfl: ! I will see you all when we get back :banana: ! Im worried about the rain forecast, hope its not an all day thing. I can live with scattered showers, its those rains that last all day non stop that get me down :) !

I hope I can get to sleep :rotfl: ! I will see you all when we get back :banana: ! Im worried about the rain forecast, hope its not an all day thing. I can live with scattered showers, its those rains that last all day non stop that get me down :) !

Have a great trip! :wizard:

YAY! Its here! Don't worry about weather, it can't be changed, but you can think positive and enjoy yourself no matter what!!!:cool1:

Hello everyone from the Poly! Checked in yesterday morning with some issues. First we pull up and let them know we are CL and they just leave us standing there, I finally went to valet and she tells me to check in at GCH, I tell her no we are CL someone has to take us over to Hawaii LH, she tells me no our room probably isn't ready! Finally we go into GCH let them know what's going on and they walk us over. Barbie is there to check us in but makes several snide comments about us being there at 730. I point out to her our reservation states we would be there at 7, she pulls it up and sees it was. I tell her what happened out at the curb, she says she will take care of it, gives us leis and buttons tells me that she will text we when room is ready. 2 PM still nothing but we are tired so head back from MK, walk in and ask her about our room and Barbie says oh your room was ready when you left! Ok... Go to room and the door won't even shut! My DH at this point is upset calls for a manager, who tells him that he has been receiving complaint about this from other guests but looks and Barbie never noted or spoke to anyone about that morning! He moves us to another room in the Hawaii LH. TPV! Perfect gorgeous view! At that point bell services brings luggage we reaize DS raybans are in old room go to Concierge and Shannon at the desk tells us she is alone but wen she can she will check personally. Hour and a half later we ask her and she tells us they weren't there!!! DS left them on the side table before we knew we were being moved and we let them know immediately so DH has another call into the manager b/c they r too expensive to just give up on. MK several rides were down but they got them back up soon. DH had pixie dusted roses and with black feathers a bracelet and chocolate covered strawberries delivered, I cried b/c I wasn't expecting it! We had dinner at Ohana and did EMH at MK afterwards, trying to get back with monorail shut down for EMH was a nightmare! LOl, lesson learned. Today HS and Cape May!

I hear ya with the extra work. Companies are making their current workers take up the slack because they won't hire more people. It makes economic sense for the company, but if you are salaried.........

Salaried....I woke up this morning at 2:30 with all of the backed up work on my desk, but it's Labor Day and I am choosing to push it to the side and spend the day celebrating 1 month until WDW!!!

Just back from an extended stay at the Poly thanks to hurricane Irene. No better place to be stranded though.
We stayed Tokelau 3rd floor (our request)
Just wanted to report that they only wristbanded 1 day we were there and we were there for 10 days!!!! I couldn't believe this since i heard on the boards they had started doing it. Even when they checked our room keys they were walking around not checking at steps when people walk in like at BC. So it was really a hit or miss if you were checked they couldn't get to everybody and they only did it for a certain amount of time. This was disappointing b/c the pool was always crowded.
Now I know first hand what people would complain about. Especially at night when there aren't any lifeguards.
I only had 1 disappointment during our trip. When I went to the front desk to extend our trip for 2 more nights I told the CM I just wanted the same rate I had payed all week b/c I got a 40% off pin. The CM I spoke to seemed new and got someone on the phone to ok it. She said yes and I thought I was all set. I didn't think it was that huge of a request since it was the hurricanes fault I needed to stay. There were lots of other people in the same boat.
She said I was all set and sent me on my merry way and I had to ask her for a receipt!!! Good thing I did b/c she didn't charge me the same rate now I was getting a little aggrivated. She went for help from another CM and he sent her on her merry way and said he would take care of me. Thank God! He said they were giving everbody the same rate due to circumstances. He told me to come get new keys tomorrow.
Well we p/u new keys they didn't work. Got new keys again didn't work. They said maybe it's the door. NOT!!! We went EP that day only DS could get through other keys didn't work had to wait for new temp. ones! Needless to say this was not a fun day. When DH went to complain they said they will credit us for our inconvience. I wasn't sure how much this would be but the day we checked out they OWED us $$$!!!! :) We had charges on our room card and we had internet access for like 4 days. It must have been aroun $200. So they did fix it. Was Happy :)
Sorry so long but wanted to share experience.

Sorry about the challenges, but it least they did honor the discounted rate. We got stuck back in 2007 due to a winter storm back home. However, this was the weekend they were taping the Xmas day parade and rooms were scarce, so no compassion for a discounted rate. :sad2: At least we were staying at a moderate resort, but I wish I knew about the disboard at the time because I would have been a much more knowledgeable....:idea:

Hi all. At the cabana today typing on IPhone. All is great, mostly cloudy and low crowds!

Cindy

I hope you enjoyed it.....what was your favorite part of the cabanas?

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!!

Hello everyone from the Poly! Checked in yesterday morning with some issues. First we pull up and let them know we are CL and they just leave us standing there, I finally went to valet and she tells me to check in at GCH, I tell her no we are CL someone has to take us over to Hawaii LH, she tells me no our room probably isn't ready! Finally we go into GCH let them know what's going on and they walk us over. Barbie is there to check us in but makes several snide comments about us being there at 730. I point out to her our reservation states we would be there at 7, she pulls it up and sees it was. I tell her what happened out at the curb, she says she will take care of it, gives us leis and buttons tells me that she will text we when room is ready. 2 PM still nothing but we are tired so head back from MK, walk in and ask her about our room and Barbie says oh your room was ready when you left! Ok... Go to room and the door won't even shut! My DH at this point is upset calls for a manager, who tells him that he has been receiving complaint about this from other guests but looks and Barbie never noted or spoke to anyone about that morning! He moves us to another room in the Hawaii LH. TPV! Perfect gorgeous view! At that point bell services brings luggage we reaize DS raybans are in old room go to Concierge and Shannon at the desk tells us she is alone but wen she can she will check personally. Hour and a half later we ask her and she tells us they weren't there!!! DS left them on the side table before we knew we were being moved and we let them know immediately so DH has another call into the manager b/c they r too expensive to just give up on. MK several rides were down but they got them back up soon. DH had pixie dusted roses and with black feathers a bracelet and chocolate covered strawberries delivered, I cried b/c I wasn't expecting it! We had dinner at Ohana and did EMH at MK afterwards, trying to get back with monorail shut down for EMH was a nightmare! LOl, lesson learned. Today HS and Cape May!

I hope the rest of your trip goes smoother, but the upgrade to a TPV must be nice. What wonderful surprises from DH! I hope you do a little mini-report when you get back and let us know about the EMH nightmare with transportation. I am not looking forward to this....

Almost forgot....ONE MONTH!!!!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

This week is cooler temps for the Chicagoland area, but not cool enough to pack away shorts....so no fun packing possible yet...:rolleyes:What to do..... what to do....

50 days!!!!!!! :dance3: :yay: :woohoo: :banana: :cool1:

Thanks everyone for posting updates from the Poly. I have been reading every post, just haven't had time to write. You guys are all keeping me sane these last few weeks of waiting!!! :cloud9:

Sorry for all the glitches ... hopefully you've gotten them all out of the way and you will have a magical time for the rest of your trip! :wizard: Fantastic upgrade and what a lovely surprise from DH!

Oh, I forgot to say, ddluvsdisney that is AMAZING they honored your PIN code rate for 2 additional nights! We have tried to add nights before when our kids had the flu (once at AKL and again at CR) and we could never get a discount. So that is great!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

We are 48 days out & I wish I could be doing a happy dance, but DH's work hasn't/won't yet approve his vacation. :scared1: He is insisting that I still go with the kids if he can't come. I can't imagine having a good time without him, it will be so disappointing. We are supposed to be celebrating our 10th anniversary and DH's birthday is during this trip. Really needing some pixie dust right about now. :sad1:

We are 48 days out & I wish I could be doing a happy dance, but DH's work hasn't/won't yet approve his vacation. :scared1: He is insisting that I still go with the kids if he can't come. I can't imagine having a good time without him, it will be so disappointing. We are supposed to be celebrating our 10th anniversary and DH's birthday is during this trip. Really needing some pixie dust right about now. :sad1:

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust: pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust: pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Hi All - We go to Disney World every year but this will be our first time at the Poly in about 5 years. Our first stay at the Poly was the year it opened - 1971 - we took our kids, ages 4 & 6. This year we are taking our granddaughter - age 9. We are really looking forward to our trip. Thanks for all the updated info. Can't wait!!! :dance3:

Thanks for the live updates! Sorry your arrival didn't start out so magical...hopefully the rest of your trip will be. Did they locate the raybans yet?

That is an awful wait. I'll cross my fingers and toes for you that the approval goes through!

Ugh, not a great way to start your vacation, hopefully it will all be uphill from here. We had a similar experience when moving rooms at the GF 2 years ago, we moved from one building to another & as soon as we walked into the new building (a less than 3 min walk) dh realized his phone charger was still plugged into the desk outlet in the old room. They radioed over to the other building and claimed it wasn't there :confused3 Where could it have gone in less than 5 mins?! We ended up driving to WalMart to get a new charger as we own our own business and can't be without any contact w our employees for a week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter