ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone-- I have been on the disboards as much as I would like.. has anyone heard any recent news about renovation to the rooms? We are going January 15-21st. I am torn between Samoa and Tokelau.

thanks for your advice!
jen

Samoa would be my first choice and Tokelau my second. (Well, Hawaii would be my first choice, but I can't book it due to the renovations - boo!) I like the location of Samoa (near GCH and Captain Cook's) and the fact that the 3rd floor rooms facing the volcano pool have such an amazing view. But if Samoa isn't available, I think the quiet pool side of Tokelau would be great for both view and the central location between GCH and TTC.

Anyone know about the views on the other side of Tokelau?

Tikiman's site still has the renovation for Samoa listed as Jan-March, and the renovation for Tokelau listed as March-May, so if that's confirmed at some point soon, it may be a Tokelau request for me!

P.S. I would simply list the factors that are important to me - balcony, nice view, near GCH. But "nice view" is subjective and "near GCH" could put us in Fiji, and I'd prefer a location like Tokelau or Samoa so that we're not far away from TTC. Not a big deal - nothing is that far - but if we're talking about ideal location, those two buildings meet the criteria!

At the Poly now.

Just finished dinner at Citricos followed by Wishes on the beach.

Had breakfast at Kona and dinner at 'Ohana yesterday.

The Monorail has been down all evening.

Hope it's up and running by tomorrow morning as we have an 8:15 am ADR at Crystal Palace.

At the Poly now.

Just finished dinner at Citricos followed by Wishes on the beach.

Had breakfast at Kona and dinner at 'Ohana yesterday.

The Monorail has been down all evening.

Hope it's up and running by tomorrow morning as we have an 8:15 am ADR at Crystal Palace.

Take the boat that leaves from the beach dock. It's super quick and drops you right by security check. I'd call and check if it'll be running that early.

Anyone know about the views on the other side of Tokelau!

We've stayed in Tokelau 4 times, twice on each side. I love the East side ( not facing the quiet pool). We stayed there in 2007and 2009, first floor. Both those trips the kids still napped. DH and I loved having the lawn area off the patio. We stayed on the patio if we wanted shade, but for sun, we just pulled the chairs onto the lawn in the sun. Just a step off the patio and there's a water view! The walkway on that side is also very far from the building, so that's nice as well.

In 2011, we were on the pool side, in the end room that's really more of a lagoon view. It honestly wasn't my favorite, but it was fine. I just felt like the walkways were close and we couldn't really exit the patio because of the bushes. Whereas the other side, DH and I could take turns going for a walk, to get a snack, etc without having to go through the room and disturb the kids.

This year, we were again pool side and at first I was disappointed, but I ended up loving it. We were about in the middle of that wing (toward the lagoon) and it was such an easy hop to the pool. Just the last one out had to go out the regular door ;). We went with a group this time and spent a lot of late afternoon time at the quiet pool with cocktails.

So, after all that.... Both sides of Tokealu are Great!!! Both sides have their pluses. For us, having that building and first floor is most important. We'll be returning in 2014 and I don't think I'll request East side as usual, we'll just take what we get (well, as long as it's Tokelau, first floor!)

We've stayed in Tokelau 4 times, twice on each side. I love the East side ( not facing the quiet pool). We stayed there in 2007and 2009, first floor. Both those trips the kids still napped. DH and I loved having the lawn area off the patio. We stayed on the patio if we wanted shade, but for sun, we just pulled the chairs onto the lawn in the sun. Just a step off the patio and there's a water view! The walkway on that side is also very far from the building, so that's nice as well.

In 2011, we were on the pool side, in the end room that's really more of a lagoon view. It honestly wasn't my favorite, but it was fine. I just felt like the walkways were close and we couldn't really exit the patio because of the bushes. Whereas the other side, DH and I could take turns going for a walk, to get a snack, etc without having to go through the room and disturb the kids.

This year, we were again pool side and at first I was disappointed, but I ended up loving it. We were about in the middle of that wing (toward the lagoon) and it was such an easy hop to the pool. Just the last one out had to go out the regular door ;). We went with a group this time and spent a lot of late afternoon time at the quiet pool with cocktails.

So, after all that.... Both sides of Tokealu are Great!!! Both sides have their pluses. For us, having that building and first floor is most important. We'll be returning in 2014 and I don't think I'll request East side as usual, we'll just take what we get (well, as long as it's Tokelau, first floor!)

Am on the East side of Tokelou now (first floor) now. Very quiet.

Home... Home again... I like to be here, when I can...

We're back in the Hawaii building and it's wonderful as usual. We had a great lunch at the Kona, and are taking it easy for the afternoon before heading out to Narcoossee's for dinner tonight. It's good to be back!

How's the weather? Do you come back from the parks cold and tired? Is it good to warm your bones beside the fire? Sorry, couldn't resist, lol.

Seriously though, is it warm enough to swim?

Sandy and Mason, thanks for your Tokelau info - very helpful! Mason, enjoy your stay!

We're back in the Hawaii building and it's wonderful as usual. We had a great lunch at the Kona, and are taking it easy for the afternoon before heading out to Narcoossee's for dinner tonight. It's good to be back!

guitarob, enjoy! (And let them know we'd be very appreciative if they would just hold off on that renovation for a few weeks so that we can change our reservation to Hawaii!!!) :) Have a great time!

How's the weather? Do you come back from the parks cold and tired? Is it good to warm your bones beside the fire? Sorry, couldn't resist, lol.

:thumbsup2

Seriously though, is it warm enough to swim?

The weather is ok. It was in the upper 70's and lower 80's all day, overcast and as usual, humid. We had a little rain this evening. I would swim if the water was warm enough, but I didn't check it. Maybe I'll look into it more tomorrow if the mood strikes me and the situation allows. There were plenty of people in the pool though. It wasn't what I'd call crowded, but there was a good sized bunch of people there.

guitarob, enjoy! (And let them know we'd be very appreciative if they would just hold off on that renovation for a few weeks so that we can change our reservation to Hawaii!!!) :) Have a great time!

:lmao: I'll mention it, although I doubt it'll do much good. They were actually telling us about the building closing for rehab at check in this morning. It's not so hush-hush anymore, so my best guess is that it's definitely happening in January.

Thank you!! We will have a great time!!

So I checked availability this morning for our trip in March and there is none left for the room only discount....does this mean it will be crazy busy when we go??? It is only a two night stay so we are planning to enjoy the resort on check in and out days and then MK for the new fantasyland and BOG restaurant on the park day! just wondering if it will be packed!

Depends on when in march! It can be really busy with Easter and spring break.

But is suspect there were limited RO discounts available- not that the resort is booked out already.

Depends on when in march! It can be really busy with Easter and spring break.

But is suspect there were limited RO discounts available- not that the resort is booked out already.

We are there March 4-6 so I don't think any holidays are on at that time!

Since Hawaii is closed during our stay, we decided to book a cabana for our full resort day during our February trip. I'm so excited. We spend most of the day by the pool when we have resort days so this'll be wonderful. Whe we stay in Hawaii we kind of take turns going in and hanging out in the lounge and getting drinks for by the pool so this will be a perfect alternative and actually will probably even work out better. We booked the full day (10-7).

Does anybody here any any experience or knowledge of the dining options or massages in the cabanas? We tend to eat early so we'll still be wanting to hang out and eat in the cabana when we're hungry. I can run up and get food from Kona Island Sushi Bar for dinner and bring that down but if there's not a huge difference in price I'd rather have the attendant arrange it for us. For lunch I figure just grabbing something simple from Captain Cook's would work well though again, if there's not much difference in price to have the attendant arrange it then I'd much rather do that.

anybody?

Since Hawaii is closed during our stay, we decided to book a cabana for our full resort day during our February trip. I'm so excited. We spend most of the day by the pool when we have resort days so this'll be wonderful. Whe we stay in Hawaii we kind of take turns going in and hanging out in the lounge and getting drinks for by the pool so this will be a perfect alternative and actually will probably even work out better. We booked the full day (10-7).

Does anybody here any any experience or knowledge of the dining options or massages in the cabanas? We tend to eat early so we'll still be wanting to hang out and eat in the cabana when we're hungry. I can run up and get food from Kona Island Sushi Bar for dinner and bring that down but if there's not a huge difference in price I'd rather have the attendant arrange it for us. For lunch I figure just grabbing something simple from Captain Cook's would work well though again, if there's not much difference in price to have the attendant arrange it then I'd much rather do that.

I don't know if it is standard procedure, but the cabana attendant wasn't able to get any food for us on our 2 cabana days. We were directed to call the private dining line and have food from room service delivered. Definitely way cheaper to go get CC or sushi to go for yourself.

We did order drinks from the bar that the cabana attendant delivered but that was it.

I hope others can chime in with there experiences as well. :goodvibes

I don't know if it is standard procedure, but the cabana attendant wasn't able to get any food for us on our 2 cabana days. We were directed to call the private dining line and have food from room service delivered. Definitely way cheaper to go get CC or sushi to go for yourself.

We did order drinks from the bar that the cabana attendant delivered but that was it.

I hope others can chime in with there experiences as well. :goodvibes

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter