ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booked today for our 20th anniversary trip. Aug. 24th - Sep. 1st. My husband decided on a standard Theme Park View room for now and we requested Tuvalu 3rd floor. Might upgrade to CL depending on if we can get a discount for it between now and then. So so so excited. It'll be our first time at a deluxe and our first real vacation without kids since our honeymoon. pixiedust: <<< that's about how I feel right now.

Congratulations!

We have stayed TPV, 3rd floor in Tuvalu twice. It's a lovely location, with a feeling like you are right over the water and it's close to the GCH. On luau nights you can hear the music out on your balcony (but it's not so loud that you hear it inside with the sliders closed).

Good luck on finding a discount for CL. We have also stayed CL twice (the first time for our 10th anniversary). We really like the location and having the lounge for the extra space, enjoying a drink and dessert in the evening ...

Booked today for our 20th anniversary trip. Aug. 24th - Sep. 1st. My husband decided on a standard Theme Park View room for now and we requested Tuvalu 3rd floor. Might upgrade to CL depending on if we can get a discount for it between now and then. So so so excited. It'll be our first time at a deluxe and our first real vacation without kids since our honeymoon. pixiedust: <<< that's about how I feel right now.

Congratulations on booking the Poly :yay:....it's an awesome resort.....I'm sure you'll love it :goodvibes.

Congratulations!

We have stayed TPV, 3rd floor in Tuvalu twice. It's a lovely location, with a feeling like you are right over the water and it's close to the GCH. On luau nights you can hear the music out on your balcony (but it's not so loud that you hear it inside with the sliders closed).

Good luck on finding a discount for CL. We have also stayed CL twice (the first time for our 10th anniversary). We really like the location and having the lounge for the extra space, enjoying a drink and dessert in the evening ...

The view out directly over the water looks like it will be so wonderful. I scoured google looking for pictures taken from that location and found a few.

We're going to AoA in May with the kids and the husband and I will be getting APs. I'm hoping that either a bounceback offer or AP discount will pop up. Looking back I've seen that a number of discounts exclude CL so who knows. Can't hurt to hope though. Either way I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Does anyone know if you can get a press pot of the Kona coffee from room service or is that only available in Kona? Also how hard do you think it will be to get walk up or day before reservations to Kona? I have one for breakfast and one for dinner already set but I didn't want to fill in every single meal with reservations since this is supposed to be a relaxed low key trip.

The view out directly over the water looks like it will be so wonderful. I scoured google looking for pictures taken from that location and found a few.

We're going to AoA in May with the kids and the husband and I will be getting APs. I'm hoping that either a bounceback offer or AP discount will pop up. Looking back I've seen that a number of discounts exclude CL so who knows. Can't hurt to hope though. Either way I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Does anyone know if you can get a press pot of the Kona coffee from room service or is that only available in Kona? Also how hard do you think it will be to get walk up or day before reservations to Kona? I have one for breakfast and one for dinner already set but I didn't want to fill in every single meal with reservations since this is supposed to be a relaxed low key trip.

Here's a few of our Tuvalu pics:

DSC00473.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

I'm hoping that either a bounceback offer or AP discount will pop up. Looking back I've seen that a number of discounts exclude CL so who knows.

FYI - I just booked GV CL yesterday with a AAA discount - saved us about $380 on a five-night stay in August. It's still pricey, but that helped :thumbsup2 Our first time at the Poly we scored a 40% discount, which was amazing, but that was in 2010 and I don't think we'll be seeing those kinds of discounts anymore. :(

I booked a bounce back offer from my stay at AKL last month... we're going in October and it will be our first time at the Poly! I'm all kinds of excited! :hyper:

I've booked just a standard view (DH isn't one to fork over extra $$$ on the view since we really don't spend much time in our room... and this will be my family's first stay at a Deluxe, the only way I was able to splurge on that was due to the bounce back offer!) I think I'd like to request either Tahiti or Rapa Nui... is either one "better"?

Those are such lovely pictures, maiapapaya!! I can't wait to sit out on the porch in the morning and have a cup of coffee. :banana:

I've booked just a standard view (DH isn't one to fork over extra $$$ on the view since we really don't spend much time in our room... and this will be my family's first stay at a Deluxe, the only way I was able to splurge on that was due to the bounce back offer!) I think I'd like to request either Tahiti or Rapa Nui... is either one "better"?

We plan on spending a lot of time in ours on this trip, thus the TPV. :blush:

If you haven't seen it yet, Tikiman's site has a really great run down of the pros and cons of each longhouse.

We plan on spending a lot of time in ours on this trip, thus the TPV. :blush:

If you haven't seen it yet, Tikiman's site has a really great run down of the pros and cons of each longhouse.

I, personally, would LOVE a TPV! But we're the type of family that hits the parks running, from open to close. We really are only in the room to sleep and shower. This trip we are planning one non-park day but with 2 kids, we'll most likely be at the pool all day. ;)

I just found Tikiman's site, thanks! Now off to read all the info there and get even more excited, if that's possible! :goodvibes

I, personally, would LOVE a TPV! But we're the type of family that hits the parks running, from open to close. We really are only in the room to sleep and shower. This trip we are planning one non-park day but with 2 kids, we'll most likely be at the pool all day. ;)

I just found Tikiman's site, thanks! Now off to read all the info there and get even more excited, if that's possible! :goodvibes

We're taking the kids in May for a stay at the AoA and that will be a planned to the hilt non-stop trip. The TPV anniversary trip is probably a once in a lifetime splurge, or at least a once for a very long time one. :rotfl:

Tikiman's site is a lot of fun to get lost in and has certainly helped with the getting excited part!

FYI - I just booked GV CL yesterday with a AAA discount - saved us about $380 on a five-night stay in August. It's still pricey, but that helped :thumbsup2 Our first time at the Poly we scored a 40% discount, which was amazing, but that was in 2010 and I don't think we'll be seeing those kinds of discounts anymore. :(

Did you have to go through AAA to book or were you able to get the discount directly through Disney?

Thanks!

Did you have to go through AAA to book or were you able to get the discount directly through Disney?

Thanks!

If you want to book a Package you have to book through AAA. You can book room only through Disney with a AAA discount.

I have been doing the math and since it is unlikely the dates we would prefer going will see a GP offer from Disney may just go with AAA RO Discount, get our tickets from Undercover Tourist and Gift Card for Dining.

Chavaleh said:

Last August I was able to book Kona day of, times were a little late/early, but we didn't mind.

Thanks!

Directly through Disney! Just called to make a new reservation and let them know I had the AAA card. Seems like it worked out to be just under a 12% discount :confused3 Very odd number, but that's what it looks like. The CM (who was awesome by the way :thumbsup2) was not able to give me a discount on the first part of our trip - standard room at AoA - so there may be some resorts that you can't get the discount on.

If you want to book a Package you have to book through AAA. You can book room only through Disney with a AAA discount.

I have been doing the math and since it is unlikely the dates we would prefer going will see a GP offer from Disney may just go with AAA RO Discount, get our tickets from Undercover Tourist and Gift Card for Dining.

That's pretty much our plan right now too. I think we may end up seeing a room only offer from Disney for our dates, but I'm not sure if the Poly will be blacked out (or possibly just club level which is where we're booked). We'll get tix through Undercover tourist, and I should have enough on my Disney rewards card to pay for all our dining. :thumbsup2

Can anyone currently or soon to be, staying in the Hawaii building let me know if king beds are now part of the remodel?
Thanks!

Thank you so much! I may have to search out other discounts. Our last experience with AAA was so dreadful I don't think I can use them again. I booked a trip in 2007 with them that was great, but last year they really made a lot of mistakes.

Directly through Disney! Just called to make a new reservation and let them know I had the AAA card. Seems like it worked out to be just under a 12% discount :confused3 Very odd number, but that's what it looks like. The CM (who was awesome by the way :thumbsup2) was not able to give me a discount on the first part of our trip - standard room at AoA - so there may be some resorts that you can't get the discount on.

Thank you! I will call them next week and give my AAA number. Any discount helps.

This is good to know. A few years ago when I was booking our first trip I asked the CM on the phone about AAA discounts and they said they didn't have any (although I had read about them on the DIS, so thought you had to deal directly with AAA for them). Fortunately we've had a few pins/BB's so it has worked out ok. I'll keep this in mind for possible future use though.

We'll be at the Poly for the first time at the end of May! So excited! Our TA put in a room request for Samoa, first floor but I don't think I told her Volcano pool side. Does anyone know what the odds are of getting a request that specific - (Samoa, first floor, volcano pool side)? If we can't get pool side, we really don't need first floor. I don't like to cause problems at check in and have them change things around and I don't usually do room requests. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter