ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

Just booked a visit to WDW/Poly last night for November (8-12). My last 4 visits have been to WL, which we loves, but we wanted to change things up. This time we're traveling with our 14 mo DD, so figured that having access to the monorail would be helpful!

The only room category available was lagoon view. Any recs for what room to request? I'm sort of tempted by CL though - and will keep an eye to see if something opens up. Is it really possible that Poly is fully booked for that weekend? What do you all think the chances are that something will open?

Oh, any thoughts on the chance for a room-only discount being offered for Poly in November?

We are sooo excited - and can't wait to bring the LO for her first Disney trip!! princess:

Does anyone have a recent, or somewhat recent daily or weekly activity schedule sheet? Getting close to our trip and I wanted to take a peek at what they might have going on during the day for the kiddies.
Thanks so much for any help!

Don't have the sheet but just got back. Its pretty much the same everyday. Each day at the pool from approx. 12-6 give or take an hour on each end they play the music and get all the kids they can to participate in pool activities. They do trivia, which adults join in, hoola hoop contests, water balloon toss and water balloon throwing, pool games such as find the ducks and little toys. Scavenger hunt and dancing. They do give away little ducks or toys to the winners but its all in fun.

At night at 7:30 is the camp fire and 9 is the movie on the beach.

CL is great if you have a discount and I highly recommend it. We just stayed 10 nights with only a AAA discount 10% and decided that if this happens again we would rather have the dining plan. But if there is a nice discount 25% or more its totally worth it, to us anyway.

We like knowing which building we are in. We like the location. The staff is very helpful. My husband likes the beer and wine. Kids like the snacks and drinks. We stayed in room 1502 and loved it. Best view. Of course we like the first floor while other probably would like the third floor for viewing.

Normally we have a 40% discount and wouldn't do the poly any other way but only having a 10% discount we thought the dining plan would be better.

Hmmmm, all of mine are food/drink related. Maybe it's cause I skipped lunch. :laughing:

Just realized I can't forget to mention O'hana! Breakfast and dinner are both a huge hit for us. And Tonga toast from CC's or Kona. I personally hate it, but it gets rave reviews.

Well thank you for these suggestions! Looks like you set off a firestorm about disliking Tonga Toast! Personally I am a fan of this deee-licious treat, and have often trekked over to Kona Cafe from other resorts just to partake.

Thank you all for your suggestions! So many tough choices. I want to try these added little touches to make my wife's stay extra extra extra special. She deserves it!!!

:lovestruc

The Tonga Toast is good but I prefer just having their eggs, sausage, and potato wedges. The Tonga Toast is almost too sweet for breakfast.

walt's assistant said:
Well thank you for these suggestions! Looks like you set off a firestorm about disliking Tonga Toast! Personally I am a fan of this deee-licious treat, and have often trekked over to Kona Cafe from other resorts just to partake.

Thank you all for your suggestions! So many tough choices. I want to try these added little touches to make my wife's stay extra extra extra special. She deserves it!!!

:lovestruc

It's still definitely worth trying the Tonga Toast! Oh, and definitely try the 100% Kona Coffee. The only place you can get it at is Kona Cafe and it's served in the coffee press for two!

How hard is it to get a room request for Samoa ? I know I read on Tikiman's website it is one of the most requested buildings. Has anyone requested it and gotten it or should I think of requesting another building ? I also wanted to know if standard view is the same as a garden view ? When I went to check for how much it would cost there was no garden view to choose from.

How hard is it to get a room request for Samoa ? I know I read on Tikiman's website it is one of the most requested buildings. Has anyone requested it and gotten it or should I think of requesting another building ? I also wanted to know if standard view is the same as a garden view ? When I went to check for how much it would cost there was no garden view to choose from.

Standard view and garden view is the same thing. Re longhouses.....I wouldn't sweat it. Our first trip we were in Tokelau and loved it so the second trip we requested it again but got Aotearoa. I was so worried because it was on the other "side" of the resort. We ended up LOVING it too....for different reasons. The great thing about the Poly is every longhouse has its own advantages for location and because the resort is compact, nothing is a far walk like you will find at some of the mods and values. Our Tokelau room had a view of the gardens between Tahiti and Rapa Nui and our room in Aotearoa had a slightly obstructed CASTLE view for Garden price!!! It was bangin :cool1: I would suggest just requesting what you want in a room like....balcony/near pool....or patio/near TTC....or monorail view/balcony....make sense??? That way the room assigners know what you want. If you put in Samoa and no rooms are available, they don't know your reason for the request of Samoa. JMHO

What are the odds of getting Samoa when doing the online check in, 10 days out? I did online check in for the very first time 2 days ago when my window of opportunity opened up and requested Samoa with the patio option.

I found the choices kind of odd because they list a ground floor option and patio option as well. I'm guessing patio has to be 3rd floor balcony as that's what I always called it in years past.

Since this will be my last time at the Poly for many years, if not ever, I'm hoping to get a Volcano pool view. I had a 3rd floor view many years ago and it was great.

Next Monday, I guess I'll be finding out for sure.:scratchin

I would also love to hear how the online check-in process worked as far as requests. Do they give you a lot of choices or is it a text box where you can type in your requests? We can check-in soon and I wasn't planning to do it, but is it a better way to make room requests?
TIA

Wow, we leave in a month from today and I feel no stress like in past trips. Probably because of the last minute booking. We know what longhouse we are staying in since we are staying CL. We have no ADRs and I honestly have not even looked at the park hours yet. :confused:

It is kind of nice to really wing it like this :thumbsup2

We have been so involved with work and DD softball season that life has been crazy. My house is trashed and laundry is piled up! Now that softball season is over I can get my head on straight and start getting caught up. Since it will be 100+ degrees here today we plan on chilling inside so I can do laundry and pick up :laundy:

Yesterday people at work were telling me I am crazy to go to Disney in August....really have you watched the weather reports, or better yet...been outside? :lmao: I'd rather spontaneously combust from the heat in Disney than in Chicago!

I am sure one of these days I will wake up in a panic. My goal is to make some to do/buy/find lists today. We are only going for 4 nights so the usual big haul will not be necessary. Even the longer trips I bring way too much :rolleyes:

Well off to clean some clothes! DD is watching past Disney trip videos as she really is the most excited and talks non stop about this trip. I figured it is a good way to keep her in and rest her up after her crazy past few weeks.

Happy planning everyone :wizard: I guess I will do a one month happy dance though...... :dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

BreezysMom said:
Wow, we leave in a month from today and I feel no stress like in past trips. Probably because of the last minute booking. We know what longhouse we are staying in since we are staying CL. We have no ADRs and I honestly have not even looked at the park hours yet. :confused:

It is kind of nice to really wing it like this :thumbsup2

We have been so involved with work and DD softball season that life has been crazy. My house is trashed and laundry is piled up! Now that softball season is over I can get my head on straight and start getting caught up. Since it will be 100+ degrees here today we plan on chilling inside so I can do laundry and pick up :laundy:

Yesterday people at work were telling me I am crazy to go to Disney in August....really have you watched the weather reports, or better yet...been outside? :lmao: I'd rather spontaneously combust from the heat in Disney than in Chicago!

I am sure one of these days I will wake up in a panic. My goal is to make some to do/buy/find lists today. We are only going for 4 nights so the usual big haul will not be necessary. Even the longer trips I bring way too much :rolleyes:

Well off to clean some clothes! DD is watching past Disney trip videos as she really is the most excited and talks non stop about this trip. I figured it is a good way to keep her in and rest her up after her crazy past few weeks.

Happy planning everyone :wizard: I guess I will do a one month happy dance though...... :dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

If the weather continues as it has, it will actually be cooler in FL than in Chicago. I know yesterday it was cooler at WDW than it was here in Cincinnati!! We went in August in 2009 and yes, it was in the mid 90's everyday and humid, but your not constantly out in the heat. I wouldn't worry about it! I think thats the best way to plan the trip, wing it! Last year we had about 2 dining reservations each day and it became too much. This year there are 2 days we have no ADR's and the rest of the days we have 1, we just went through and picked the places we absolutely wanted to eat at.

WE are going to be close to 100 today in NY!

I am hoping this warm weather will last until we get back to Disney in December!

Feels like 40 C (105F) here in Ontario, Canada and its not even noon yet! The big difference will be the humidity for us as I know it can be like 90% (here its 50% today) but like it was said half of the attractions are indoors. We are really hoping for a GAC though as we have someone is our family with a lung disease and humidity tends to be an arch nemesis.

Grumpymom73 said:
I would also love to hear how the online check-in process worked as far as requests. Do they give you a lot of choices or is it a text box where you can type in your requests? We can check-in soon and I wasn't planning to do it, but is it a better way to make room requests?
TIA

We have done the online check-in for the past 2 years and have loved it! There was not a spot to request a particular longhouse. What I do is, once the trip is paid off, I call and request the longhouse I want. So far, knock on wood, the past 2 years my request has been granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter