ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I join the fun? I just upgraded from POR to the Poly for our 7 day stay this June. I can't believe it. We have never stayed there, and I had a 30% off code. I am so excited. I seriously don't think I will sleep tonight. This thread was a big reason that I switched. Yay DIS ::yes::

Can I join the fun? I just upgraded from POR to the Poly for our 7 day stay this June. I can't believe it. We have never stayed there, and I had a 30% off code. I am so excited. I seriously don't think I will sleep tonight. This thread was a big reason that I switched. Yay DIS ::yes::

Thats awesome! You're going to love it! It is by far our favorite resort :)My Dad surprised us with an upgrade for our upcoming trip (from POP to Poly-whoo hoo) Have a great time!!

My husband loves going to WDW, and he is game for anything BUT messes up my very carefully and painstakingly planned itineraries without meaning to. He pays no attention whatsoever to planning. So, we'll be in a park and I'll have the day generally designed for many reasons --ADRs, crowd management -- and without thinking, he'll cluelessly get my DD5 (MUST manage expectations!) all excited about doing something completely impractical or impossible! "Hey! Let's go to the opposite side of the park to see if Stitch is there!" or "Dontcha want to go see if we can eat lunch with Cinderella?" Well, yes, but we'd have to have made that ressie 180 days ago! :rolleyes1 :duck:

Just wait till DH gets to be a DGF. It gets worse messing up the closely laid plans only now he uses DGD to explores his last minute brainstorms. my DH always complains about going so often but then when he gets there he becomes " Mr. I know everything! Gotta love it!::yes::

Quick question...I read all about the Lapu Lapu prior to my trip and saw people walking around with them (didn't see any sporks though:) ) but when I went to the barefoot bar, I didn't see it on the menu. Do you have to go into the Tambu Lounge to get them?

Also, I didn't get to try the Tonga Toast, which I had wanted to. I guess I just have to go back now!

And a much more involved question...I see most of you have been to other resorts (and perhaps keep coming back to the Poly). I can't imagine myself loving any resort more. The Grand Floridian looked too big and too Victorian for my tastes, and the Contemporary looked too...ummm...80's? Of course, this is only based on my view from the monorail, so I have very little to base it on.

But for those of you who have stayed at other resorts, did you like them?

Quick question...I read all about the Lapu Lapu prior to my trip and saw people walking around with them (didn't see any sporks though:) ) but when I went to the barefoot bar, I didn't see it on the menu. Do you have to go into the Tambu Lounge to get them?

Also, I didn't get to try the Tonga Toast, which I had wanted to. I guess I just have to go back now!

And a much more involved question...I see most of you have been to other resorts (and perhaps keep coming back to the Poly). I can't imagine myself loving any resort more. The Grand Floridian looked too big and too Victorian for my tastes, and the Contemporary looked too...ummm...80's? Of course, this is only based on my view from the monorail, so I have very little to base it on.

I ordered a Lapu Lapu from the Barefoot Bar but they couldn't make it in the pineapple. It was the same drink as far as the ingredients went and tasted good (strong!!) but I had to order another from Kona at our last night dinner just to get it in the pineapple. I brought sporks but sadly forgot it in the room. Didn't stop me from scraping away with my knife and fork and did a pretty good job at hollowing it out!! ;)

Just wait till DH gets to be a DGF. It gets worse messing up the closely laid plans only now he uses DGD to explores his last minute brainstorms. my DH always complains about going so often but then when he gets there he becomes " Mr. I know everything! Gotta love it!::yes::

:rotfl2:He already is Mr. I know everything, but it's going to be painful when he's DGF!!!! He did tell me this morning that he is excited about WDW/Cruise and we have seven months to go!!! I need to figure out how to do that ticker thingy.

Re: the posts about tagging at the pools, that's great news. I know folks who stay off property, book an ADR at Ohana for brekkie so they can park and Poly by day, off property by night. No fair!

Thanks everyone for your posts, love love love love getting excited about our trip, even though it is ages away.:banana:

I have stayed at Poly, Contemporary and POR riverside. Next year trying the Art of Animation. (we will be taking 6 people:scared1:)
The other resorts have their own charm and beautiful in their own ways! Riverside is relaxing fun lively resort the food was ok. Comtemp was also fun.. I enjoyed each stay... My personal choice is the Poly. Nothing beats tonga toast. NOTHING! nor being able to go to the beach and seeing wishes letting the kids play in the sand. it's simply romantic and fun hospitality is A+ i cannot say one BAD thing about the poly.

Hi! I'm new and I have researched this a bit and would like some help to those who are the experts on the Poly - you guys! We are arriving next week and just upgraded from garden view to theme park view. Of course I know there are no guarantees but can you give me your opinion regarding which longhouse of the three regular theme park view that you like most and why. Advantages? Disadvantages? I've read Tikiman pages and posted through the regular forums but have only gotten a few responses. I would love your input! Thank you so much!

What building / room view did you end up with ? When you were "tagged" at the pool was it during the week or weekend ?

How was the resort overall from a cleanliness standpoint. Any room issues /

thanks
KG

We were in the Tokelau longhouse, garden view and it was just okay - room was clean - a few issues with wear and tear (dings on base boards, frayed curtains). Agree with others that room lighting is a tad dark. We didn't have mousekeeping come in every day since there were only two of us - one of the days we did - a bag of garbage was left in the bathroom on the floor and we didn't get any clean glasses :confused3 - otherwise all good.

054-1.jpg

View looking to left (room 3911)
004.jpg

View looking straight ahead
005.jpg

View to the right (room 3911)
003.jpg

We were tagged on Thursday afternoon - asked the CM what triggers this and how often and he told us it was mainly a staffing issue - if enough people were scheduled to work that day - then one would be assigned "room check duty"...:laughing:
023.jpg

Hhhmmmmm......very interesting. :scratchin Now if he had only been really ballsy(perhaps after a few lapu lapus) and walked up and asked them what they were doing the measurments FOR....we would really get a buzz going :lmao: Seriously though, much thanks for the info, :thumbsup2

:rotfl2: I think the reason he didn't ask is the Lapu-Lapu - one too many and just didn't care..... we were talking with another couple who are "regulars" there and this man said his information (don't know from where but I think I've read it here somehwere before too) was the volcano pool area was "sinking" and the whole thing would have to be redone - leaking water, etc...:stir:.

Did anyone see on another WDW website, they are showing survey balloons that were seen over the Polynesian...presumably for some sort of project? What does this mean....anyone care to speculate??:confused3

We were in the Tokelau longhouse, garden view and it was just okay - room was clean - a few issues with wear and tear (dings on base boards, frayed curtains). Agree with others that room lighting is a tad dark. We didn't have mousekeeping come in every day since there were only two of us - one of the days we did - a bag of garbage was left in the bathroom on the floor and we didn't get any clean glasses :confused3 - otherwise all good.

054-1.jpg

View looking to left (room 3911)
004.jpg

View looking straight ahead
005.jpg

View to the right (room 3911)
003.jpg

We were tagged on Thursday afternoon - asked the CM what triggers this and how often and he told us it was mainly a staffing issue - if enough people were scheduled to work that day - then one would be assigned "room check duty"...:laughing:
023.jpg

I love your mickey head ring! I have a mickey head / family ring!!:goodvibes

Did anyone see on another WDW website, they are showing survey balloons that were seen over the Polynesian...presumably for some sort of project? What does this mean....anyone care to speculate??:confused3

my bet is DVC. There are rumours of something big coming to the Poly. That is a part of the property where they potentially have room and a larger structure wouldn't block the views of the existing longhouses. They could take over the area of the luau and only have to sacrifice one or two longhouses. It's also close in proximity to the GF construction site, so they could essentially just slide on over once they are done over there.

my bet is DVC. There are rumours of something big coming to the Poly. That is a part of the property where they potentially have room and a larger structure wouldn't block the views of the existing longhouses. They could take over the area of the luau and only have to sacrifice one or two longhouses. It's also close in proximity to the GF construction site, so they could essentially just slide on over once they are done over there.

Yikes I hope they don't start anything until AFTER our trip!!!:worried:

I don't think they would start construction on any DVC until they are a little further along with the GF construction. My more immediate concern is about the rumours of a hot tub installation for "the end of the year." We are waiting to book a cabana for the last week of October and so far IPO is telling us that "for some reason" those dates haven't been released yet for reservations (normally it's 180 days & we're 2 weeks past) :scared: Hoping it's just a bad coincidence!

How about this for a thought... I've read they need to address the building code and other issues with the GCH but given it would be a serious disruption to the resort to put it our of commission during construction maybe they will build a new GCH over in that spot so that everything can stay open while they work on it? A new GCH could incorporate a new Luau stage into the design and then once it's built they could use the real estate of the current GCH to build the DVC addition. Just running off an idea here - pure speculation.

How about this for a thought... I've read they need to address the building code and other issues with the GCH but given it would be a serious disruption to the resort to put it our of commission during construction maybe they will build a new GCH over in that spot so that everything can stay open while they work on it? A new GCH could incorporate a new Luau stage into the design and then once it's built they could use the real estate of the current GCH to build the DVC addition. Just running off an idea here - pure speculation.

Would a new DVC space have monorail access? Will the new GF DVC have a platform on the monorail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter