ALOHA! Sept. 2015 PTR! * Updated 11/3 - p. 11*

Joining in!

To say I'm jealous of your 3-week Disney extravaganza is an understatement. I'm visiting London next month with a friend and we initially had planned a side trip to DLP but it sadly won't work out for us anymore :(.

You are going to be obsessed with Food & Wine!! I go just about every year! Gorgeous weather, delicious food, yummy drinks -- it might just be my favorite time to visit WDW. Plan a night where you just eat your way around the world for dinner it's a must! :)

Joining in!

To say I'm jealous of your 3-week Disney extravaganza is an understatement. I'm visiting London next month with a friend and we initially had planned a side trip to DLP but it sadly won't work out for us anymore :(.

I know this is off topic (I love the new notifications on the DIS or I never would've noticed this!!) but I just wanted to add that I visited London last month. Have you been before? I absolutely loved it!! I wanted to do DLP but my family wanted to stay in the UK and not make the trip. There's always next time!

I know this is off topic (I love the new notifications on the DIS or I never would've noticed this!!) but I just wanted to add that I visited London last month. Have you been before? I absolutely loved it!! I wanted to do DLP but my family wanted to stay in the UK and not make the trip. There's always next time!

Hi beckyx3! This will actually be my first visit to London and I am beyond ecstatic! I've been wanting to go since I was 4yr (25yr now) as I have family and friends in the UK! Maybe I'll have some pixie dust and be able to squeeze in DLP. What is most definitely happening when there is Harry Potter Studio Tour!! So excited :teeth:

2/13 Update! Resort Changes / Potential ADRs

Hey friends! :wave2:

Bahh, I knew I was going to unintentionally neglect this PTR for a while! I do apologise. But with this new notification alert system I will stay much more on top of things!

It feels like ages since I first posted, but we are STILL 211 days out from Disneyland Paris, and 220 days from Disney World!

However there are a couple of things going on, so I thought I would write and update, then reply to all of your lovely comments :goodvibes

-------

The first update I have is really exciting. I don't even think I'll believe it's real until I'm actually there experiencing it.

Basically, as many of you probably know, the Polynesian is undergoing some SERIOUS renovations at the moment.

We visited for dinner on our last trip and the place was a MESS.

A lot of it is meant to be finished by the time we go in September, however we found out that the quiet/East pool will be completely torn out, and is going to be under refurbishment during our stay.

With a Garden View room in the Hawaii longhouse (the Club Level building) this refurb is going to be pretty disruptive to us, as you can see.

Q2hAuPV.jpg

We couldn't really decide what to do.

We both kinda had our hearts set on the Poly.

There was the option to 'downgrade' from Club Level and request one of the longhouses on the West side of the resort, but obviously this request wouldn't be guaranteed, and we could end up around the East Pool anyway.

We discussed upgrading to Theme Park View Club Level so that we would be on the lagoon side of Hawaii, but I came to the conclusion that I really couldn't afford to spend any more on this trip...

BUT JAMIE DECIDED THAT HE COULD.

AND HE UPGRADED US!!!!!!!

I still cannot belieeeeeve it!!!

He is such a wonderful guy, and I am so so lucky!!!!

POLYNESIAN - THEME PARK VIEW - CLUB LEVEL - HERE WE COME!!!

I will never be able to thank him enough.

Disney had no Theme Park View Club Level rooms available, but w
e had seen them on hotels.com and Expedia, so we ended up cancelling our Disney hotel and ticket combo, and we rebooked the resort through hotels.com.

(We MUST remember to buy a new set of park tickets!!)

The confirmation number we got from hotels.com doesn't appear to be Disney-compatible, so I also need to phone Disney and have them link our reservation to My Disney Experience, which I've heard is easy enough to do.

And then we're all set!!!

SO AMAZING!!!

79iHUKt.gif

-------

Next, I just wanted to go over the ADRs I'm thinking of making.

Jamie loves eating at the steakhouses, so I think I'll book the Yachtsman again.
We've tried Le Cellier before too, and he insists he doesn't have a preference and that I should choose.
The only thing I don't like about Le Cellier is how crowded is feels. And maybe that it's too dark in there.
I really don't have a bad word to say about the Yachtsman, so I guess that's the one I'll book?
I know that there's Shula's Steakhouse over at the Swan and Dolphin, so if anyone has had a good experience over there let me know!!

Jamie also really loved the dinner at Ohana, so I'll definitely book us in there too.

As for me, I love exploring the different resorts. I haven't visited the Wilderness Lodge since i was like 4 years old, and I have NEVER visited Animal Kingdom Lodge!! So I'd love to eat there.
I'm thinking maybe Whispering Canyon Cafe and Boma - Flavors of Africa.
Again, if anyone has eaten at either of these, or anywhere at WL or AKL, let me know what you thought!

We also both really loved having lunch at Be Our Guest, so I'll try to get us in there too.
I heard that they're getting rid of the fastpass system and opening it up for lunch reservations, so I'll keep an eye on what's going on with that.
I might even book it for two of our Magic Kingdom days!

Other places I'm considering are Kona Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, and somewhere in the Contemporary.
We ate at California Grill in 2012 and enjoyed it, but this time we're going to try to keep the fancy meals down to a minimum (last time we spent a lot more money on food than we thought we would!)
Maybe we'll just have a walk around the Contemporary, I guess we don't have to eat there. I just like exploring :goodvibes

I'd love to hear if anyone has any thoughts!

-------

Just as a quick side-note - I am loving this new forum software!
It was a little difficult to get used to. The first time I came onto the site after it was set up, I just shut it straight back down again :lmao:
But now I think it's really nice.
I really like that you can embed videos into posts, and also that smilies don't seem to count as 'images' anymore? :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Because video embedding is now allowed, I might take some better videos on my next trip to put into my TR :goodvibes

:jumping1:

That's all for now!

:wave2:

Click for next post!

Last edited:

My Jamie is the kind of guy that says, "Why do we need to stay 7 nights when 4's enough?" :lmao:

We drove to Florida when I was a kid but I can't imagine doing the 18 hour drive with my kids. We're lucky enough to live 10 minutes away from a small airport that offers non-stop flights to MCO relatively cheap.

It's sad how I don't really appreciate what I have. Rhody is between Boston and NYC. I actually think Providence is a pretty cool city but I can get to Boston in a little over an hour if I don't hit traffic and NYC in 2.5 hours. I think that living in such a small state (we can drive the length of it in 45 minutes) we don't like to drive long distances so NY seems far. We have done the drive for Yankee's games and I'm looking forward to bringing the boys when they're older.

Wow, a 2.5 hour drive to NYC! That just seems SO amazing to me!!! But I guess I don't blame you for using the nearby airport to get to Florida. 18 hours does seem like a looong time to be driving when I think about it!

Are you getting excited for your trip?! Your plans look so good, I'm really looking forward to hearing about your time at the Beach Club area - love that place!

Hiiii Katie!! Coming over from your current TR! We will be in Disney World at the same time! Our estimated dates are Sept 25 - Oct 3! Still don't know where we will stay.. I'm hoping to book a bounce back offer when I go in 2 weeks!

Heyy Deshea!! I've just been looking at the PTR that is linked in your signature, you and your mom are so cute! I hope you had a great trip, your plans sounded so good. Link me up if you start/have started a trip report, I'd love to have a read!

Also, I noticed that you did the DCP! That sounds AMAZING.

Yay for our late September trips!! :woohoo: I know you wrote your comment a while ago (sorry I neglected this thread a little) - did you decide on somewhere to stay yet? I'll definitely look out for you while we're there!

Just found your other TR and jumping over here as well - looking forward to following along!

Hey Amy! I'm glad you're here, thanks for joining in :goodvibes:goodvibes

following along! you have so much to look forward to this year!!!

I hope you'll post some pics of your time in DL paris. we've never been and I don't know that we'll ever get there.

can't wait to hear all about your planning. it's possible we might be at WDW when you're there. we're doing a cruise in 260 days and i'd like to try to get one park day in while we're so close. really, I want to go to MNSSHP again while we're so close!

Hi Lori! Thanks for joining!

I'll definitely include some DLP in my trip report, although maybe not in as much detail as WDW though. I love it over there, it has a totally different feel to WDW. Aww yes, I understand that, it's a long way to travel for a small park (it's comparative to Disneyland CA in size). But who knows, never say never, right?! :goodvibes

Yay, another September traveller!! It definitely make sense to visit WDW while you're so close! :thumbsup2 I've never even thought about doing a cruise, but the more I see on the DISboards the more appealing it looks! I'd love to hear about it if you're planning on writing a report? :goodvibes

Last edited:
Joining in! We did F&W for the first time in 2014 - it was FANTASTIC! We are hoping to go for at least a long weekend in 2015. I will get a TR going soon! Can't wait to see your plans! Nice to meet you! :wave2::wave2::wave2:

Hey Tara! Aww it's nice to meet you too! :wave2: Thanks for joining in! I've just been looking at the PTR that is linked in your signature, you guys had some great plans! You should definitely write a trip report! I can't believe you moved your entire trip because you missed your 180 day mark!!! You are officially a TRUE Disney fan!! :rotfl: I'd love to hear about your Food and Wine experience, I'm really excited to do it for the first time this year :goodvibes

Joining in! (Now I feel like a stalker, but we are going to the World at the exact same time!) I said "hi" on another thread, since we'd be at the Poly at the same time. We also stay two days at Universal and then back to WDW at AKL from the 9/29-10/6. :) I'm a crazy planner, so I'm loving the pre-trip report and since our dates are the same, we can be in this together! Ha! It will be me, Becky, DH Mark, DS Martin, and we just told my 13 year old niece Prima that we were taking her with us. 261 days to go!

Hi Becky! I remember speaking to you briefly on one of the Poly threads! Ahh I think staying at Universal 2 days is a great idea. We've already booked everything for this trip, but for next time we go I would definitely consider it, so I'd like to hear how it all works out for you :goodvibes do you think you'll write a TR?! YES we'll be in this together!! I definitely think I need some Food and Wine guidance, if you get any good info! :thumbsup2

I'm in, Katie!

I'm thrilled you're heading back to WDW (and will hopefully do another fantastic trip report for us?). Also, POLY CLUB LEVEL?! Awesome! It should be nearly done by that time so you shouldn't have to deal with the construction craziness.

I can't wait to see your plans! :woohoo:

Yaay Rizzo the Rat, aka Jenny!! I'm still imagined Rizzo was speaking to me when I read your comment :rotfl:love that picture :lmao: I will definitely be writing another trip report! Aww I was really enjoying reading yours but you haven't updated in so long! Do you think you'll get it going again?! No pressure though, of course :thumbsup2 they do take up quite a lot of time, I was off the grid for around a month recently!

Yesss POLY CLUB LEVEL! I know right!!! Well it turned out there is MORE construction on the way after all of this is finished, so we kinda SLIGHTLY changed our plans... I just updated this PTR about it :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

How did I not see this before :confused3

Oh well, I am in! Looking forward to hearing your plans for the trip - and for the record, it's NEVER too early to start planning a WDW trip :banana:

I am currently planning a trip as well - it's a completely fictional trip though :rolleyes1

Owww I got excited about you planning a trip when I read that! Bummed out that it's only fictional. You should totally plan a little tiny trip... Maybe, say, end of September / early October? WE HAVE PLANS THAT NEED FULFILLING :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::thumbsup2

I'm TOTES in!

Poly Club Level?! :faint:

So looking forward to this amazing trip you have coming up (which really isn't that far away) So you pretty much have 3 weeks of Disney?! Jealous.

:)

TOTES happy to have you Lesha!!

I know, I can't believe it! :faint: We also slightly changed our resort reservation, which I just posted in an update on this thread.. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Joining in!

Yay! Thanks for joining! :goodvibes:goodvibes

AHHHHHH! I hope you're going to be doing a TR for this trip! We have a one-day MK trip planned for February, but then we'll be there for a week November 30-December 5! I know it's a lifetime away, but I still kind of want to do a little dance. :dancer:

Hey friend!! I'll definitely be writing a trip report :thumbsup2 You need to start doing some TRs!! I was following all your posts on facebook and instagram, it all looked soooo good :goodvibes

Jumped over from your previous TR to this one. You will LOVE F&W! DW and I have been twice and are going back again next year. I'm looking forward to reading this TR and reading about your stay at the Poly!

Hey thanks for joining!! :goodvibes I'm so excited for F&W, I really don't know what to expect. If you have any good info or words of wisdom please let me know! :thumbsup2

Theme park view! such a dream!!

On the steak note - I've planned my company's past two annual meetings at the Yacht Club and have sent our executives over to Shula's -- the most difficult of my execs to please went back this year! So if you go with that, I'm sure it won't disappoint! :thumbsup2

Joining in. Looking forward to your ptr. What could be better than poly club level.

Hey thanks for joining in! I know, I've never stayed at the Poly OR at Club Level, so I'm super excited! :goodvibes

Joining in from your TR! That is so exciting! I was in Paris quite a few years ago and BEGGED my parents to go to Disneyland but it was a no go. My sister got to go when she lived in London, so jealous!

The Polynesian is so excited! I'm going around the same time as you with a few friends, we considered staying at the Polynesian but the WL was a little bit more affordable. We'll only catch the very beginning of F&W but I'm so excited!

Hey thanks for coming over! :goodvibes Aww it's a shame you didn't get to see Disneyland Paris. You should definitely try to visit some time! But Paris is still a really exciting place! I love it there, that's so cool that you got to visit :goodvibes

The Wilderness Lodge looks like such a beaut resort! I haven't been since I was a child so I'm hoping to book a meal over there, or at least have a walk around :goodvibes I'm excited for F&W too! You should write a trip report :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Joining in!

You are going to be obsessed with Food & Wine!! I go just about every year! Gorgeous weather, delicious food, yummy drinks -- it might just be my favorite time to visit WDW. Plan a night where you just eat your way around the world for dinner it's a must! :)

Hey thanks for joining in! :goodvibes Aww it's a shame you won't be visiting DLP, but WELCOME TO LONDON!! I see you're doing the Harry Potter Studios tour :wizard: Do you have any other plans for when you're over here? Make sure you wrap up warm, it's been freeeeezing lately! (as always, really) :thumbsup2

That sound like a great idea, I'll definitely write that into our plans, thanks for the tip :goodvibes

Theme park view! such a dream!!

On the steak note - I've planned my company's past two annual meetings at the Yacht Club and have sent our executives over to Shula's -- the most difficult of my execs to please went back this year! So if you go with that, I'm sure it won't disappoint! :thumbsup2

Great, thanks for sharing!! I better start reading up on Shula's to see if it takes our fancy :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Congratulations on your upgrade to theme park view at Polynesian!! :cheer2:

Ooh, ADRs! My favorite part of planning Disney trips! I have read so many good things about the Yachtsman I considered booking it for our stay at YC and I don't even like steak. :rotfl2: I think you can't go wrong there. :thumbsup2

I haven't heard anything about Shula's but I found that I totally overlook the restaurants over at the Swan & Dolphin when planning my ADRs. I decided to rectify that and booked bluezoo for our date night dinner and the boys will stay at the Dolphin's kids club.

Prior to this trip we always stayed at WL. We love it there! I know you don't really want to do a lot of fancy meals but I really liked Artist Point. It doesn't seem to get as much love as the other signature restaurants but I really enjoyed the salmon when I went. It has a much quieter atmosphere that California Grill and the views aren't nearly as good but I liked that.

We ate at the Wave at the Contemporary our last trip and liked it a lot. What drew me to it was the local, sustainable menu that they offer. The boys were chosen as the Little Farmers of the Day. It was really cute. We talked a little with the chef and were surprised to hear that he graduated from a culinary school in our city. Small world! :goodvibes

We ate at Boma and loved it. It is my favorite buffet at Disney so far. I'd love to try Jiko and Sanaa someday, too.

I really like the new forum, too. I did lose track of some of the threads I was tracking. Like it didn't alert me that you'd made a new post over in your TR so I had to go look for it and found quite a few others I'd been watching that I hadn't been notified on. :confused3 I'm hoping that was just due to the changeover and going forward I will get all the alerts.

I hope I didn't share too many of my thoughts on ADRs. :blush: Have a great weekend, Katie! :wave:

Hi beckyx3! This will actually be my first visit to London and I am beyond ecstatic! I've been wanting to go since I was 4yr (25yr now) as I have family and friends in the UK! Maybe I'll have some pixie dust and be able to squeeze in DLP. What is most definitely happening when there is Harry Potter Studio Tour!! So excited :teeth:

You'll love London! Everything was just beautiful and old. It was so much fun. We took a day trip to Windsor so no HP for us. But we're thinking about a stop at the wizarding world during our September WDW trip so that makes up for it!pixiedust:

Hey thanks for coming over! :goodvibes Aww it's a shame you didn't get to see Disneyland Paris. You should definitely try to visit some time! But Paris is still a really exciting place! I love it there, that's so cool that you got to visit :goodvibes

The Wilderness Lodge looks like such a beaut resort! I haven't been since I was a child so I'm hoping to book a meal over there, or at least have a walk around :goodvibes I'm excited for F&W too! You should write a trip report :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Yes Paris is beautiful. I was very lucky! We love the Lodge. We also love walking to Fort Wilderness from there. It's so nice. I might write a trip report. I always start and halfway through I just stop!!

Next, I just wanted to go over the ADRs I'm thinking of making.

Jamie loves eating at the steakhouses, so I think I'll book the Yachtsman again.
We've tried Le Cellier before too, and he insists he doesn't have a preference and that I should choose.
The only thing I don't like about Le Cellier is how crowded is feels. And maybe that it's too dark in there.
I really don't have a bad word to say about the Yachtsman, so I guess that's the one I'll book?
I know that there's Shula's Steakhouse over at the Swan and Dolphin, so if anyone has had a good experience over there let me know!!

If you like Yachtsman, you'll like Shula's. The main drawback to Shula's, IMO, is that it is in the Dolphin and both the S&D are BIG convention resorts. As a result, it will probably be crowded and noisy. The steaks are very good and the prices are roughly the same as Yachtsman's.

As for me, I love exploring the different resorts. I haven't visited the Wilderness Lodge since i was like 4 years old, and I have NEVER visited Animal Kingdom Lodge!! So I'd love to eat there.
I'm thinking maybe Whispering Canyon Cafe and Boma - Flavors of Africa.
Again, if anyone has eaten at either of these, or anywhere at WL or AKL, let me know what you thought!
Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge is fantastic! Try the buffalo or cedar plank roasted salmon.
If you go to Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL, get the all-you-care-to-enjoy platter! You will not leave hungry.
As for AKL, Jiko's is our favorite. We rate it in our top 5 restaurants in all of WDW. You can get a couple of different kinds of steak there (Kenyan pepper steak or filet mignon) if you want to kill two birds with one stone but there are numerous other dishes to try too (lamb or pork loin to name a couple).

Hey thanks for joining!! :goodvibes I'm so excited for F&W, I really don't know what to expect. If you have any good info or words of wisdom please let me know! :thumbsup2

Go early in the day and during the week. Around 2:00 each week day afternoon and on the weekends, the college crowds arrive as well as regular WDW guests. It can get REAL crowded but for the first few hours during the week days, the crowds are tolerable or better and you can try a lot of different kiosks in a short time. Look at signing up for at least one of the signature dining experiences. These are usually 4 or 5 course meals with limited spots available so book as early as you can. We've been to the Italian Regional luncheon and the Hibachi Experience and both were top notch. In addition, there are numerous inexpensive culinary demonstrations, mixology seminars and wine/beer seminars at the Festival Welcome Center that are interesting and enjoyable plus you might just meet a celebrity chef!

Three weeks straight of Disney magic -- I'm not sure I could ever go back to work after that. I'm pretty sure I'd want to live in Disney forever :rotfl:

Congrats on your upgrade to theme park view!

I can't wait to hear more on your plans! :cheer2:

Wow, theme park view?! I was jealous before at the club level with garden view! :laughing: I hope you can enjoy some time in the room and soak up that fantastic view! :cloud9:

I always tend to spend too much money on food while at Disney - it's a disease. :sad2: :rotfl2: I think any of the steak places would work well - I like both Yachtsman and Le Cellier, and heard nothing but good things about Shulas (check out emmysmommy's dining reports for reviews on all three, in case you've not read Brenda's reports!). I've never eaten at Whispering Canyon Café (at all) or Boma (for dinner) yet, but plan to try both during our next trip! I also loved our meal at Jiko a few years ago. I LOVED breakfast at Kona so I highly recommend that. :thumbsup2

I do adore the California Grill (as you know!). Perhaps you could make an ADR there and just order appetizers and dessert? Or eat at the Contempo Café and go to the California Grill just for dessert? I think even a short time there is worth it for the view and the atmosphere. ;)

KATIE!!!! I'm so sorry I'm so late to hear about your trip, but I'm having such a hard time keeping up with the DIS lately, not to mention trying to write a new TR (which is finally coming along, but I need to be a few days ahead before I start posting).
So excited to hear about this upcoming trip to DLP AND WDW. WOW!!!! :goodvibes

Owww I got excited about you planning a trip when I read that! Bummed out that it's only fictional. You should totally plan a little tiny trip... Maybe, say, end of September / early October? WE HAVE PLANS THAT NEED FULFILLING :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::thumbsup2

I knowwwwwwwwwwww - I really want to! Why don't you just stow me away in your luggage?? That could totes work right? I mean, no one would notice me AT ALL :rolleyes1
I miss WDW so much it's not even funny!

Following!
We stayed at the Poly for the first time this month and loved it! We are going back again in March and May!
We had breakfast at Kona and it was relaxed and yummy. :)

Hooray!!! Theme Park view?! :love: Totally amazing and totally jealous!:worship:

Never been to Shula's but have been to Le Cellier once and Yachtsmans twice and we totally prefer Yachtsman to Le Cellier. You're so right, it's too close together at Le Cellier.

WL - TOTALLY enjoy Artist Point, mainly for their absolutely heavenly portabello mushroom soup. Oh my gosh. Delicious!:cloud9:

AKL - Have visited Jiko two and a half times. Weird I know. :rotfl2: Dinners are amazing, atmosphere is quiet, a bit on the darker side but romantic. And on this trip I went to Sanaa (by myself!) and it was delicous! Totally would go again - by myself or with others:lmao:

Had Sushi at Kona Cafe for the first time and were amazed at how fresh it was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter